Author Topic: Jaffa's Prog Rock and Metal Roulette - Final Results posted!!!  (Read 42760 times)

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
Re: Jaffa's Prog Rock and Metal Roulette - Round Five results
« Reply #245 on: January 19, 2014, 10:55:28 PM »
That was close! I'll have to step up my game with the next one.
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #246 on: January 20, 2014, 01:49:29 AM »
It would be pretty simple; you could just have all of the eliminated participants send you something and whoever sends the best one gets back in the game.

I've been sending Jaffa songs for the past two rounds, even though I was out. I lost in Round 3 and that ended my game here, but there's no need to stop sending him awesome music. I'm personally not into this 'redemption island' thing, to be honest. He set the rules, I lost, you lost and that's it. But that's just me.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #247 on: January 20, 2014, 05:22:15 AM »
It would be pretty simple; you could just have all of the eliminated participants send you something and whoever sends the best one gets back in the game.

I've been sending Jaffa songs for the past two rounds, even though I was out. I lost in Round 3 and that ended my game here, but there's no need to stop sending him awesome music. I'm personally not into this 'redemption island' thing, to be honest. He set the rules, I lost, you lost and that's it. But that's just me.

Agreed.  It would be cool to win but I just love hearing new music and turning people on to other bands.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #248 on: January 20, 2014, 09:07:19 AM »
Scent.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #249 on: January 20, 2014, 09:25:35 AM »
... of woman.  Hu-wah!!!

I'm in too.  Wait... wat  :|
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #250 on: January 20, 2014, 11:13:45 AM »

I know, it was just an idea.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #251 on: January 20, 2014, 11:33:25 AM »
... of woman.  Hu-wah!!!

I'm in too.  Wait... wat  :|

Eewwwwww...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #252 on: January 21, 2014, 03:43:27 AM »
Song sent.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline adace

« Reply #253 on: January 21, 2014, 05:25:53 PM »
Sent.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #254 on: January 26, 2014, 05:57:04 AM »
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #255 on: January 26, 2014, 06:37:02 AM »
Stop using my gif.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #256 on: January 26, 2014, 06:46:45 AM »
Stop using my gif.

You WISH you had that little body hair.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #257 on: January 26, 2014, 06:50:05 AM »
I have too much!  It's growing where I don't want it and not where I'd like it. :lol

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #258 on: January 26, 2014, 08:08:06 AM »
Sorry for being so slow this round, guys.  As I said, I had a really busy week.  I've listened to all the songs, but results might still take a little while, so please bear with me. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #259 on: January 27, 2014, 06:42:02 PM »
Results time.

SomeoneLikeHim: Circus Maximus – ‘Architect of Fortune’
I feel like this could be used as a defining song for progressive metal; it really has just about everything I associate with the genre.  It has the soaring vocals, the intricate instrumentation, the interesting and powerful drums, the beautiful keyboard melodies and rich textures, the great guitar playing with awesome solos, and the unpredictable structure.  It’s the whole package.  That being said, while all of these elements are there, none of them are particularly outstanding to me.  Nothing in this song really blows me away.  There’s nothing wrong with it, either – in fact, it’s consistently very good.  But for me, it never climbs much higher than the ‘very good’ mark.  Still, I thoroughly enjoy it from start to finish.  And for a ten minute song, it goes by remarkably fast; it never drags, and it has a great flow. 

lonestar: Maestrick – ‘Aquarela’
Beautiful and captivating.  This is exactly the kind of musical journey I associate with the word ‘progressive.’  I really feel like this song takes me on a ride, steering me through a variety of moods and feelings while always keeping a focus on moving forward and building higher.  It’s a very colorful song, with lots of wonderful little musical surprises and a whimsical structure that holds my interest and keeps me guessing and wondering where it’s going to go next.  At times it feels very light-hearted and carefree, but there are also sections where it has a distinct intensity to it, which makes for a really interesting combination.  And the vocals have a way of really keeping me on my toes, with some vocal passages that turn in totally unexpected directions.  I look forward to getting to know this song better.

jingle.boy: Star One – ‘Human See, Human Do’
Wow.  First things first, this song boasts one hell of an ensemble of vocalists.  Every one of the singers is on fire here, especially the lady – I’ve seen Floor talked about quite a bit, but this is my first time actually hearing her voice, and… damn.  She nails the living hell out of that chorus.  But as I said, every vocalist does very well with their role, and the combination of them all provides a very nice variety that keeps the song constantly feeling fresh.  Of course, there’s more to it than just the vocalists, and the instrumentation is excellent all around.  I particularly love the drummer, and some of the core guitar melodies are awesome.  Some terrific work on the keys as well.  With a cool concept, a frantic pace, and a hectic style, this song really works on every level.  I love it.

wolfking: Vanishing Point – ‘Hollow’
Excellent.  Very melodic, but very powerful at the same time.  This song starts off strong with a fast pace and a lot of energy, and it never really lets up – loses a bit of momentum during parts of the instrumental section, in my opinion, but it quickly regains control.  Driven by awesome drumming and guitar playing with sweet symphonic flavorings in the keys, this one also features a great vocal performance with some wonderful vocal melodies.  The chorus in particular is amazingly catchy – even on first listen I found myself singing along with it before the song was over.  Great stuff. 

adace: Alcest – ‘Autre Temps’
Very nice.  Aside from some pretty energetic drumming during certain parts, this song has a really nice laid back feel to it.  It’s quite calming, even soothing, with a dreamy, airy atmosphere and lovely vocals that are an absolutely pleasure to listen to.  To be honest, though, it doesn’t really hold my attention.  When I’m listening to this, my mind drifts off and I find myself thinking about other things.  Which could actually be a very good thing in certain circumstances (this could be a great song to have on in the background while writing), but for the purposes of a competition, I’m not sure it really makes a strong enough impression.  Still, a very pretty song overall. 

kingshmegland: King’s X – ‘Smudge’
Out of all the songs I’ve received so far in this roulette, this one stands out to me as unique.  It’s… grunge prog?  I’m fairly certain ‘grunge prog’ isn’t actually a thing, and probably you all think I’m an idiot for even saying it, but it’s honestly the closest I can get to describing this song’s distinct and unusual style.  Outside of the chorus (which is great, by the way), it has kind of a subdued vibe, slow and hypnotic, with some very nice bass and guitar work and a few moments of explosive heaviness.  Interesting vocals, too – I think the vocal style is partially where the ‘grunge’ feeling comes from for me.  I’m honestly not sure how I feel about it overall.  Kind of a strange song, but still pretty cool I think. 

Round Six rankings:
1. jingle.boy
2. wolfking
3. lonestar
4. SomeoneLikeHim
5. adace
6. kingshmegland

Sorry, king.  I really feel like this song could grow on me over time, but it just hasn’t clicked with me quite yet.  I’m afraid you’re out.  Thanks very much for taking the time to participate in this; it’s been great having you, and I’ll probably be getting in touch with you to chat a little more about I Mother Earth. 

Meanwhile, congratulations to jingle.boy!  There was some tough competition, but in the end, your song’s outstanding vocal performances gave you the edge.  You’ve earned immunity from elimination in the next round, which guarantees you a spot in the final four.  You’re playing very well, so keep it up!

Moving right along…

Round Seven: A Softer Side
I feel like a lot of the songs I’ve been receiving have been fast-paced high energy rockers, and while there’s nothing wrong with that, I’m looking to mix things up a bit this round.  I want you guys to send me something a little bit calmer, a little bit more mellow, maybe a little bit more relaxing.  As usual, I’m not going to be very strict about this theme; just keep it in mind as a guideline when picking your songs.

Submit your songs by January 31st, and I’ll try to be quicker about results this time around. 

Also, after this round, we’ll be down to the final four, which means no more immunity rewards.  Chad is protected for now, but once this round is over, nobody will be safe anymore.  Get ready to put your best foot forward with each and every submission from here on out.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: Jaffa's Prog Rock and Metal Roulette - Round Six results
« Reply #260 on: January 27, 2014, 06:46:40 PM »
I think Tool have made Grunge prog for a while now...

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #261 on: January 27, 2014, 07:02:26 PM »
Guess I should thank SomeoneLikeHim for sending Circus Maximus!

Pass that immunity idol over here RJ.  You've had it long enough.  I'm sure you wore the ribs right out.   :rollin

Mellow huh... well, let me peruse right over to my "Mellow" playlist (yes, I have one titled just that - perfect to listen to while traveling and trying to nod off at a hotel or on the plane).

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #262 on: January 27, 2014, 07:49:53 PM »
Awe sucks.  Well thanks for having me and you know I'll be following.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #263 on: January 27, 2014, 08:09:12 PM »
Sweet!!! Glad you liked that one, be sure to check out the epic from that album, Lake of Emotions. Just a stunner

Now mellow is something I have an ample supply of, I'll send later tonight!!!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #264 on: January 27, 2014, 08:11:44 PM »
Sweet!!! Glad you liked that one, be sure to check out the epic from that album, Lake of Emotions. Just a stunner

Now mellow is something I have an ample supply of, I'll send later tonight!!!

Wonders what Marillon song RJ will send.   :biggrin:

I think I'll still send a song to see if I can turn on Jaffa to this band I have in mind.

Offline adace

« Reply #265 on: January 27, 2014, 08:23:35 PM »
Phew, just made it! :biggrin:

Will try to send the next song tomorrow or Wednesday.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #266 on: January 27, 2014, 10:25:25 PM »
Just so everybody knows, Pink Floyd are off limits.  I'm not extensively familiar with them (the only full albums I've heard are DSOTM and The Wall), but I've heard quite a few songs from throughout their discography, including most of their most popular tracks, and I really don't need an introduction to them.  I should have listed them among the banned artists in the first post, but for some reason, I didn't think to. 

Chad asked about them, and I told him they were off limits, so I'm telling everyone, because I figure some of you might have been considering them for this round. 

Awe sucks.  Well thanks for having me and you know I'll be following.

No problem!  Again, honestly, thanks so much for participating!  You've been a pleasure.  :)

And yeah, feel free to send me something this round if you want.  Won't get you back into the competition, but I'll still listen to the song. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #267 on: January 27, 2014, 10:36:11 PM »
And yeah, feel free to send me something this round if you want.  Won't get you back into the competition, but I'll still listen to the song.

No, but you can fire his ass a second time!!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #268 on: January 28, 2014, 12:34:51 AM »
The roulette version of pissing on his grave?

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #269 on: January 28, 2014, 01:40:06 AM »
Hey, top 5 secured! This is going way better than I thought it was gonna go.

Will send shortly.

Edit: sent
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 01:59:26 AM by SomeoneLikeHim »
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #270 on: January 28, 2014, 05:31:33 AM »
I too have sent.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #271 on: January 28, 2014, 10:13:40 AM »
Sent yo...

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #272 on: January 28, 2014, 11:05:45 AM »

No, but you can fire his ass a second time!!

*Best John Cleese voice*  "Or I will taunt you a second time!"

The roulette version of pissing on his grave?

:eyebrows:

Offline adace

« Reply #273 on: January 30, 2014, 03:16:52 AM »
Sent!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #274 on: January 30, 2014, 03:23:25 AM »
Whoops, forgot I hadn't sent something yet, looking for something now.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #276 on: January 30, 2014, 07:48:52 AM »
Alright, everybody's in.  I'll try to have results ready by tomorrow.  :)
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #277 on: January 31, 2014, 07:57:09 AM »
 :\

For some reason, YouTube videos aren't loading for me right now.  I've listened to all the songs a few times each already, but I typically like to be listening to them while doing the write-ups, which I can't really do at the moment.  Hopefully YouTube will be more cooperative in the near future, but for the moment, results are delayed.  Sorry. 

In the meantime, feel free to talk trash and stuff.     :D
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #278 on: January 31, 2014, 08:19:10 AM »
You suck!  Get better internetz!!!

Am I doing it right?   :lol

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #279 on: January 31, 2014, 05:49:08 PM »
Dammit I should have sent Vanishing Point in round 2!