Author Topic: Jaffa's Prog Rock and Metal Roulette - Final Results posted!!!  (Read 42361 times)

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
 :lol  Well, keep in mind that I set a longer deadline for this round anyway, so it's not like anybody's actually late. 

And stop trying to make me feel bad you jerk.  :P
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I've received submissions from seven participants so far, but one of them is going to have to pick something else.  After that, I'll just be waiting on two.

See, another bad thing about eliminating me (other than the fact that Frost* is awesome) is that I'm very timely about sending songs, not like some other people  :P

Nekov:  Always the first one in.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I'm one of the 2 listening to songs now and in the car and then I'll send later today.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Sent!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'm giving king the chance to pick a new song due to some... amusing coincidences.   :lol  So there are still a couple songs I have yet to receive, but I have to say, so far, this is going to be a difficult round to rank. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm giving king the chance to pick a new song due to some... amusing coincidences.   :lol  So there are still a couple songs I have yet to receive, but I have to say, so far, this is going to be a difficult round to rank.

:burns:
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
You meatsticks think alike.  I set 2 bands and both bands were sent twice!! :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
You meatsticks think alike.  I set 2 bands and both bands were sent twice!! :lol

That's what you get for taking 3 days to submit!   :P

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
 :P :biggrin:

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, there are a couple bands that people seem to be gravitating towards for the happy theme.  King tried to use both of them, and in both cases, two other participants had already beaten him to the punch.   :lol 

Which, for the record, I'm really okay with.  I don't mind accepting a third song from one of those artists from him.  But I'm giving him the opportunity to pick something else if he wants to, since the deadline isn't til tomorrow anyway.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Third sent and if someone sent it it's because I hooked them on this song and band! :lol

BTW the rest of this album I sent rocks!  Ask Chad and RJ!

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
I wasn't thinking about it, but I just skunked one of RJ's favorite bands.  However, since I was fan of this band for a long time before I heard of DTF, I don't feel too bad.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
And with that, I've received everybody's submissions.  I'll try to get the results done today.  If not, I'll have them ready by tomorrow at the latest. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Third sent and if someone sent it it's because I hooked them on this song and band! :lol

BTW the rest of this album band I sent rocks!  Ask Chad and RJ!

Fix'd

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
You mean I picked a band know one had?! :lol

I know already you pranked me in a pm :lol

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
King, you deserve all that crap you got this round for sending MY band in the first round  :xbones

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
You guys aren't making this easy on me, y'know.  I was kinda hoping one of the last songs I received would be terrible so that I'd have an easier time choosing who to eliminate, but no such luck.  :lol  Now I've got some tough decisions to make. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
You guys aren't making this easy on me, y'know.  I was kinda hoping one of the last songs I received would be terrible so that I'd have an easier time choosing who to eliminate, but no such luck.  :lol  Now I've got some tough decisions to make.

I'm having the same challenges in mine ... at least I'm not eliminating people anymore.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
I wasn't thinking about it, but I just skunked one of RJ's favorite bands.  However, since I was fan of this band for a long time before I heard of DTF, I don't feel too bad.

Very curious...

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yes, Chad, you told me so. 

So, I'm almost done with my write-ups, but it's probably gonna take me a little while to finalize the rankings.  Would you guys want me to post the write-ups in one post and then the rankings in another a little later, or should I wait until I've got it all ready to post at once?  I'll leave it up to you. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Wait for the rankings.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
King, you deserve all that crap you got this round for sending MY band in the first round  :xbones

I saved you the pain.  It was just ok by Jaffa's standards.  You owe me.

Jaffa, Wait for the rankings!

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
Happy??  Happy??  Why is that a theme so often??  Happy often equals crappy!!   :rollin

Well, that certainly wasn't the case here.  There wasn't a crappy song in the bunch.  In fact, I really liked every song I received this round.  Which is a bittersweet pill to swallow, of course - it's nice to get so many songs I enjoy, but it also means that I'm going to end up having to eliminate somebody even though they sent something I really like.  And that kinda sucks.  But, such is life! 

Anyway, results.

Buddyhunter1: The Devin Townsend Project – ‘Kingdom’
This is glorious.  I wouldn’t exactly call it ‘happy,’ but it does have a generally positive and uplifting vibe to it, especially in the vocal melodies.  It’s hopeful, almost inspirational at times.  And theme aside, it’s just an extremely powerful song overall.  It works on multiple levels: on the surface, it’s so energetic that it makes me want to bang my head and just rock the fuck out, but delving a little deeper, it’s got enough substance and meaning that I could just as easily use it for meditation.  Marvelous song. 

SomeoneLikeHim: Moon Safari – ‘Yasgur’s Farm’
:D :D :D  This is legitimately one of the happiest songs I’ve ever heard in my life.  Happy isn’t even a strong enough word; this is blissful.  I’m listening to it again right now, and I can’t seem to wipe the damn smile off my face!  :lol  I feel like the world would be a more peaceful place if everybody just listened to this song.  It’s melodically and harmonically wonderful throughout, with more beautiful passages than I care to count.  I love how light and carefree it is, and… just… :D

lonestar: Speaking to Stones – ‘Water’
Well, I certainly can’t complain about the vocals this time around.  Very majestic, with quite a lot of power.  And speaking of ‘power’, you weren’t kidding about the guitar work here, either!  Impressive stuff!  Again, I wouldn’t exactly call it a ‘happy’ song, but it’s definitely uplifting, with soaring melodies that evoke images of climbing mountains.  And I actually think the religious overtones work really well; it’s very spiritual, and it feels almost enlightening.  It has a great sense of wonder to it.  Very nice.

wolfking: Last Tribe – ‘Wake Up the World’
This seems like it would be a good song to listen while trying to make positive changes in one’s life.  There’s a really interesting sense of tension and desperation, but at the same time there’s a lot of hope, and it’s very motivational, very inspiring.  To me, the quiet intro feels like taking a deep breath before making the plunge.  When the song really kicks in, that’s when you jump over the edge, and then you’re in freefall for a while until you get to the awesome, anthemic chorus and find out you can fly.  Very moving.

jingle.boy: Spock’s Beard – ‘The Doorway’
Charming.  Listening to this one certainly puts me in a more positive frame of mind.  It’s very passionate and very emotional.  The melodies are delightful, particularly the piano passages, and Neal Morse has really grown on me as a vocalist, so that’s a definite plus here.  The song has a great atmosphere, with a nice whimsical energy and a smooth flow.  Lots of cool stuff going on in the instrumentation, and the instrumental ending is absolutely fantastic.  Just lovely.

adace: Moon Safari – ‘Mega Moon’
More Moon Safari.  These guys must make pretty happy music in general, I take it?

This one’s kind of an oddball.  It’s very unpredictable – I’ve listened to it several times now, and there are parts of it that continue to catch me off completely off guard every time, especially the Queen-esque vocal passage right after the first chorus.  I feel like it’s toying with me.  :lol  It feels really playful, almost silly at times.  It certainly fits the ‘happy’ criteria, and it’s got some wonderful melodies and a sugary chorus.  Overall, I don’t like it nearly as much as Yasgur’s Farm, but it’s still a really fun song. 

Elite: Spock’s Beard – ‘Day For Night’
For the record, this was Elite’s second choice.  He tried to send The Doorway, but jingle beat him to the punch, so he went with this instead.

I do prefer The Doorway overall, as you said I probably would, but this is a great song, too.  I love the intro, and when the full song kicks in, it has a really cool energy with some neat synth sounds.  Nice uplifting melodies and cheerful vocals.  I find it very soothing.  The chorus is lovely, especially near the end, with all the harmonies.  This is definitely a mood lifter, the kind of song that helps when you’re having a bad day.  I like it. 

kingshmegland: Presto Ballet – ‘You’re Alive’
And this was king’s third choice.  He tried to send a Spock’s Beard song, and I told him I’d already received two songs from them.  So he tried to send a Moon Safari song, and I told him I’d already received two songs from them as well.  Poor guy!  :lol 

This one is quite simple, but it still has some great stuff going for it, and it’s still a really nice tune.  Between the comforting acoustic guitar, the pretty vocals, and the life-affirming lyrics, it definitely puts a smile on my face; I don’t think it would be possible to listen to this song and still be in a bad mood afterward.  It’s very peaceful, very inspirational, and, as I said, very life-affirming.  A great little mood-lifter. 

Dr. DTVT: Marillion – ‘Rich’
Sweet.  It has a nice pleasant atmosphere with a lot of warmth and color; sort of feels like home.  The vocals are a bit on the quiet side, but I do like the sound of them, and they have a way of making the song feel sort of intimate.   The intro melody is ridiculously catchy, the type of tune you can’t help but hum along with, especially once the singer starts going along with it later in the song.   The lyrics have a nice message, too.  Good stuff.

Again, I must emphasize that you all did very well this round, and I really like all of these songs.  Ranking them was not easy.  In fact, it was very difficult.  But a man’s gotta do what a man’s gotta go, and, unfortunately, I gotta eliminate somebody.  So, without further ado…

Round Three rankings:
1. SomeoneLikeHim
2. Buddyhunter1
3. wolfking
4. jingle.boy
5. lonestar
6. Dr. DTVT
7. adace
8. kingshmegland
9. Elite

Congratulations to SomeoneLikeHim!  To be honest, yours might not actually be my overall favorite song this round (it’s a close call), but you absolutely nailed the theme – I asked for happy, and you damn sure gave me happy.  This song was a perfect choice for this round, and for that, you’ve earned immunity from elimination in round four.  Well done!

Unfortunately, somebody has to come in last place, and in this round, that somebody was Elite.  So sorry, buddy.  :(  Believe me, I’m not happy to be eliminating you.  You did really well in the first two rounds – I’ll be getting Mercy Falls thanks to you, and you helped to sell me on Haken as well.  And honestly, Day For Night is a great song in and of itself.  It’s just that this round happened to be full of great songs, and your second choice didn’t quite stack up against the tough competition.  So, I feel like a jerk for this, but I’m afraid you’re out.  But thank you so much for participating!   No hard feelings, I hope! 

Moving right along…

Round Four: Adrenaline Rush
I think the title says it all, really.  This time around, I’m looking for songs that get the heart pumping and the adrenaline flowing.  Send me something fast-paced, something high-energy, something that will pump me up and get me moving. 

Submit your songs by January 16th. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Jaffa's Prog Rock and Metal Roulette - Round Three results
« Reply #164 on: January 12, 2014, 12:48:11 PM »
Screw you, Chad :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #165 on: January 12, 2014, 01:30:00 PM »
 :laugh: Glad you liked it. You should totally check out the whole album. Even though it's a double album it's absolutely stuffed with great music!
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #166 on: January 12, 2014, 01:53:12 PM »
Poor Elite. :lol

Wow, 2nd place! That was much higher than I anticipated! :D
I definitely recommend checking out all of Epicloud. You want glorious, positive and uplifting songs filled with bombastic energy and power? That album's full of it.

Will send shortly.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #167 on: January 12, 2014, 01:57:11 PM »
Also, which Moon Safari song did you try to send, king?

Edit: Sent!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 02:11:23 PM by SomeoneLikeHim »
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #168 on: January 12, 2014, 02:13:36 PM »
Cool man, you picked up the exact same vibe I do off that tune!!!

Adrenaline rush? Can I just send the next song of the Speaking to Stones album? :biggrin:

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #169 on: January 12, 2014, 02:24:38 PM »
Sent.
It's two and a half minutes long, but hoooooooly shiiit is it fast-paced and energetic.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: January 12, 2014, 02:28:04 PM »
Also, which Moon Safari song did you try to send, king?

Edit: Sent!

Barfly!  The whole damn album is uplifting.  I also tried to send Gibberish from SB which I love! :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: January 12, 2014, 03:15:33 PM »
3rd place, good shit.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: January 12, 2014, 03:38:42 PM »
Screw you, Chad :lol

Sorry dude.  And to think, I was considering sending Day For Night myself, but then at the last second decided to switch to The Doorway.  :phew:

Now this is my kinda theme.  Will just take a quick perusal of my "Workout" playlist, and send something tonight.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: January 12, 2014, 05:52:24 PM »
:laugh: Glad you liked it. You should totally check out the whole album. Even though it's a double album it's absolutely stuffed with great music!

Added it to my list of albums to keep an eye out for.   :tup

I definitely recommend checking out all of Epicloud. You want glorious, positive and uplifting songs filled with bombastic energy and power? That album's full of it.

This, too.  :tup

Adrenaline rush? Can I just send the next song of the Speaking to Stones album? :biggrin:

Ha, not sure how serious you were about this, but honestly, if you want to do this, it's fine with me.  Sounds like it would be a very different side of the band.

And to think, I was considering sending Day For Night myself, but then at the last second decided to switch to The Doorway.  :phew:

Wow.  Well, good call!
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: January 12, 2014, 06:30:02 PM »
I brought it.  Hard.