Author Topic: Power Metal  (Read 95706 times)

Offline MirrorMask

Re: Power Metal
« Reply #980 on: January 21, 2020, 03:35:21 AM »
I love them! almost ashamed of how much I do, given the total and utter cheesefest they are  :D

But hey, from time to time you can go to McDonald as well. If the hamburger is good, and it's not being sold as art cousine, is it so bad to enjoy an hamburger from time to time?

Brothers of Metal are so over the top and they surely know it, but if over the top cheese is what they sell, I'm gladly buying since it's so cool. Yggdrasil is a legit great song and the first album is chock full of bombastic songs that Manowar WISH they would still be able to write.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #981 on: January 21, 2020, 04:46:25 AM »
Glad i'm not the only one.  :laugh:

They surely are over the top but I get the feeling they know it from looking at their music videos.  :lol

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #982 on: January 21, 2020, 06:21:51 AM »
If they ditched the female singer they'd be better. Don't have a thing against female singers, just doesn't work for this band and I don't understand why the band is named that way when there is literally a female frontwoman
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #983 on: January 21, 2020, 07:24:50 AM »
Because Siblings of Metal is a silly name for a band  :D and come on, the female vocals are what differentiate this band!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #984 on: January 21, 2020, 07:30:28 AM »
Because Siblings of Metal is a silly name for a band  :D and come on, the female vocals are what differentiate this band!

They are? 'cause when I first heard this group last year I thought it was another painfully generic power metal group. Diff'rent strokes but I'll take your praise and revisit this record later in full, because I turned it off after a couple tracks this morning.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #985 on: January 21, 2020, 11:03:41 AM »
I couldn't get through one song, probably didn't give it a chance but the vocals are not my thing

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #986 on: January 21, 2020, 01:02:41 PM »
It's funny because to me the songs could be sung with a male voice and I still would dig the choruses. It really doesn't matter to me one bit. Alot of the parts she sings are high pitched which comes pretty natural for female vocalists.

This band has nothing unique about them however I really dig the choruses and I think they have a good knowledge about the bond between harmony and melody.

Sidenote: Listening to Power Metal again which I haven't done much in recent times I had to put on some Lost Horizon, man I miss that band and especially Daniel Heiman's vocals.  :'( Holy hell are those two albums they put out just amazing and still are.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #987 on: January 21, 2020, 02:24:22 PM »
Sidenote: Listening to Power Metal again which I haven't done much in recent times I had to put on some Lost Horizon, man I miss that band and especially Daniel Heiman's vocals.  :'( Holy hell are those two albums they put out just amazing and still are.
He resurfaced in a power metal band, Dimhav!

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #988 on: January 21, 2020, 02:31:31 PM »
Wow thx for the notice, didn't know that.

Had a listen, interesting stuff. Great his back tho!  :tup

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #989 on: January 21, 2020, 03:44:06 PM »
Yeah, nothing that compares to Lost Horizon, but cool to hear him kicking ass. I liked bits and pieces of wherever he showed up over the years.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #990 on: January 22, 2020, 06:25:26 AM »

That album was a very nice discovery last year!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #991 on: January 22, 2020, 06:50:39 AM »
I'm hooked on Brothers of Metal atm, they're basically the Swedish version of Manowar. They just know how to write good and catchy choruses and i'm a sucker for that, I might need help.

I mean listen to these choruses:

Sleipnir
To the Skies and Beyond
Brothers Unite
Yggdrasil

Man I think my beard has grown atleast a couple inches extra since I started listen to them.

I love their debut a whole lot. Was searching for the Thor Ragnarock soundtrack and stumbled upon Prophecy of Ragnarock (the song) back in 2018 (before the rerelease by their new label), have been hooked on it since. Especially the female singer sounds amazing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #992 on: May 07, 2020, 05:22:01 PM »
Not entirely sure Dynazty is power metal, maybe more melodic metal than power but they've got some power in them so I'll put this here...

their new album The Dark Delight is pretty solid, kind of standard Dynazty but it's still good and man do I really love Nils' vocals.  So happy he is in Amaranthe too, but he shines more here being the sole singer.

Anyway, I was bored and made a lyric video of their song Apex  :metal :metal

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #993 on: May 07, 2020, 05:22:39 PM »
Yeah, the new Dynazty is freaking great.  :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #994 on: May 07, 2020, 05:26:44 PM »
My initial thoughts are I like Firesign better, but its tough, both good albums from beginning to end.  Titanic Mass I only heard a couple times so I cant compare.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #995 on: May 08, 2020, 07:23:10 PM »
I absolutely love the last 3 or 4 Dynazty records.   :metal :metal

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #996 on: May 08, 2020, 07:50:18 PM »

They're all really enjoyable.  And by enjoyable, I also mean "samey".
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #997 on: May 09, 2020, 04:41:42 AM »
The only one that really stuck with me is Renatus.  That's a great record.  Solid band but as Chad said it's all the same thing over and over.  I do remember a song released from the new one with slightly a little more variety so I'll try and get around to checking it out.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #998 on: May 09, 2020, 04:53:24 AM »
I checked out the new one but got bored in the middle and turned it off.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #999 on: May 09, 2020, 11:19:37 AM »

They're all really enjoyable.  And by enjoyable, I also mean "samey".

Yea, definitely samey.  Nils is an awesome singer though, kind of makes the samey not so bad and more tolerable since I love his vocals. But yea, that samey will hold this band back

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1000 on: May 09, 2020, 11:43:54 AM »
I disagree - if by samey, y'all mean great catchy huge hooks, fun memorable solos and catchy beats, sign my ass up for more of the same!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1001 on: May 09, 2020, 03:32:24 PM »
I disagree - if by samey, y'all mean great catchy huge hooks, fun memorable solos and catchy beats, sign my ass up for more of the same!

.... says the guy who dislikes prog-metal concept albums because they're "all the same".

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1002 on: May 09, 2020, 04:26:00 PM »
No, I dislike prog metal concept albums because they're all the same... fucking boring pretentious garbage.   :biggrin:

Also you like Threshold, the most vanilla thing since Breyer's.  :lol
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 06:34:47 PM by Kattelox »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1003 on: November 10, 2021, 09:55:04 AM »
Bumping this thread....

The new Beast in Black album, Dark Connection, is awesome power metal  :metal :metal

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1004 on: November 11, 2021, 08:23:59 AM »
First thread I clicked on today, saw Katt's post and thought he returned and immediately complained about prog metal concept albums. I was like yeah, that sure tracks :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1005 on: November 11, 2021, 11:00:53 AM »
First thread I clicked on today, saw Katt's post and thought he returned and immediately complained about prog metal concept albums. I was like yeah, that sure tracks :lol

haha

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1006 on: November 12, 2021, 05:50:37 AM »
https://youtu.be/DxM6gD-NUBY

New Rhapsody of Fire.  I dunno who the fuck any of these guys are a d while I don't dig the genre much anymore, this was pretty damn cool.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1007 on: November 12, 2021, 07:19:50 AM »
The new Beast in Black album, Dark Connection, is awesome power metal  :metal :metal

That album cover is certainly something.... ;D

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1008 on: November 12, 2021, 08:03:07 AM »

New Rhapsody of Fire.  I dunno who the fuck any of these guys are a d while I don't dig the genre much anymore, this was pretty damn cool.

No Luca and no Fabio make me no interested.  Alex is the only thing of this that resembles Rhapsody.  This wasn't bad, but it's still a hard pass.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1009 on: November 12, 2021, 08:27:29 AM »
It is basically a different band, but I think it is a really good one. They have been making bangers and I enjoy the rerecordings a lot as well.

And I doubt Luca is done making (good) Rhapsody records, which he did with Turilli's Rhapsody and Turilli / Lione Rhapsody.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1010 on: November 12, 2021, 11:37:07 AM »

No Luca and no Fabio make me no interested.  Alex is the only thing of this that resembles Rhapsody.  This wasn't bad, but it's still a hard pass.

I tried - and I love Dawn of Veeectoreee - but I just couldn’t.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1011 on: November 20, 2021, 02:55:03 AM »

Yup! :lol

Listened to this today, and the entire album is such a cheesefest. :lol But I'm diggin' it all the same! :tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1012 on: November 20, 2021, 04:21:07 AM »

I actually keep coming back to this tune. I love it. 

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1013 on: November 20, 2021, 08:55:06 AM »

I actually keep coming back to this tune. I love it.
Actually a pretty good tune, I love the setting though probably a bitch getting all the gear in place. :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1014 on: November 20, 2021, 11:43:53 AM »

Yup! :lol

Listened to this today, and the entire album is such a cheesefest. :lol But I'm diggin' it all the same! :tup

This is definitely NSFW but the music video for the song Hardcore.... is certainly something lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iu2YjG88AQ and yhup, cheesefest but so damn fun and catchy.