Author Topic: Power Metal  (Read 93977 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Power Metal
« Reply #665 on: November 08, 2015, 08:04:11 PM »
Listening now and so far it's all the things I don't like about power metal.. Too cheerful, bass drum just going dubbadubbadubba all the time, and those horrible dance music keyboards.
I just like minor keys too much.

I don't know, it must be me, but I don't really hear these things too much at all.  Not compared to Tolkki Strato anyway.

If you don't like the double kick, definitely don't check older Strato.  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #666 on: November 08, 2015, 08:08:28 PM »
Listening now and so far it's all the things I don't like about power metal.. Too cheerful, bass drum just going dubbadubbadubba all the time, and those horrible dance music keyboards.
I just like minor keys too much.

I don't know, it must be me, but I don't really hear these things too much at all.  Not compared to Tolkki Strato anyway.

If you don't like the double kick, definitely don't check older Strato.  :lol

I don't like the double kick either as a rule but I love older Strato............on the 2-3 songs each album where they slowed it down and riffed away.   ;D  Stuff like We Hold The Key, Kiss Of Judas, Uncertainty etc...is some of my favourite power metal of all time .  Just a shame there was such a low weighting of that style on most of their albums , but more than worth it for those few songs.   The Fourth Dimension made my DTF Top 50 as I felt the double kick stuff was a bit less overpowering.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #667 on: November 08, 2015, 08:10:02 PM »
I know exactly what you are saying.  I always felt their albums had brilliant material, but none really hit the home run on a whole, whereas plenty of songs did.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #668 on: November 08, 2015, 09:39:10 PM »
I've only bought their best of and Kiss of Judas was the major stand out for me

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #669 on: November 08, 2015, 10:24:14 PM »
Definitely one of their best songs.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #670 on: November 09, 2015, 02:28:08 AM »
I've only bought their best of and Kiss of Judas was the major stand out for me

I have the chosen ones best of which is pretty good, plus infinity and a couple of he post Tolkki albums. I didn't hate nemesis, maybe I wasn't in the mood. There's far worse power metal out there.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #671 on: November 11, 2015, 03:22:39 AM »
hmmm, good to see such a nice price for the Pagan's Mind blu-ray, but that doesnt feel right it's so cheap (plus the comments about how its such a good movie  :lol)

https://www.amazon.com/Pagans-Mind-Full-Circle-Blu-ray/dp/B012WUHAC6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1447237117&sr=8-2&keywords=pagans+mind

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #672 on: November 11, 2015, 03:47:30 AM »
In the uk it's more than that in £s so we don't get a great deal there. Those reviews are obviously for something else, or are those fake ones that have been in the news recently.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #673 on: November 11, 2015, 03:57:22 AM »
hmmm, good to see such a nice price for the Pagan's Mind blu-ray, but that doesnt feel right it's so cheap (plus the comments about how its such a good movie  :lol)

https://www.amazon.com/Pagans-Mind-Full-Circle-Blu-ray/dp/B012WUHAC6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1447237117&sr=8-2&keywords=pagans+mind

I was actually thrown a little by the price compared to the new Masterplan and a few others I noticed too.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #674 on: November 11, 2015, 04:15:15 AM »

I was actually thrown a little by the price compared to the new Masterplan and a few others I noticed too.

I kind of want to snatch this up at this price, but I am worried about what I will actually get.  Glad its listed as all regions now though.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #675 on: November 13, 2015, 09:48:59 AM »
I have a question about concept albums. Ive always thought of a concept album as an album that tells a story from track to track, start to finish, right? Then I see albums that seem to be a random collection of songs that are considered concept albums became there's maybe one or two tracks that are related, one being the title track.

A perfect example of this is Helloween. They have more then one album that is considered concept albums that aren't really. Those are The Keepers albums (all 3), and The Time of The Oath. The Keepers albums have songs about a crazy scientists who makes monsters and other non Keeper story related songs. But then the last song is the title Keeper song that tells a story (the titular concept), and a intro and outro that references it. I may be wrong., but that's not what I call a concept album.  The 3rd keeper has a few more keeper story songs, but it also has songs about pleasure drones and childhood molestation.

The Time of The Oath is the same. Obviously there's the title track, about Nostradamus, and I think We Burn and Before The War relate to it also,. Then there's Steel Tormentor and If I Knew, among many others totally unrelated to this 'concept'.

If I'm wrong about any of this feel free to correct me. But from what I can tell, albums like these should not be considered concept albums. Operation Mindcrime is a concept album. Seventh Son is a concept album (I'm pretty sure). Avantasia puts out concept albums. It bugs me when people call stuff like the Keepers records concept albums.

If anyone has any insight into this, feel free to share ;p

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #676 on: November 13, 2015, 10:45:08 AM »
As far as I'm concerned, Keepers and The Time of the Oath aren't concept albums, no matter what other people or sites say.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #677 on: November 13, 2015, 11:48:16 AM »
Time of the Oath is an amazing album, but I never thought of it as a concept album.

Offline Art

« Reply #678 on: November 13, 2015, 12:13:55 PM »
As far as I'm concerned, Keepers and The Time of the Oath aren't concept albums, no matter what other people or sites say.

This.

Time of the Oath is an amazing album, but I never thought of it as a concept album.

And this.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #679 on: November 13, 2015, 12:58:40 PM »
I remember when Keepers Pt 2 was released, reading an interview where they had a loose concept and some of the songs were connected to it (Eagle Fly Free, You Always Walk Alone, title track). But then they had a number of other tracks (Dr. Stein, Rise And Fall) that were not connected.
I seem the remember they broke down which songs were which, but all you had to do was listen to the album to figure it out.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #680 on: November 13, 2015, 02:08:13 PM »
Got this from enterthevault.com just now

Luca Turilli's Rhapsody and Primal Fear  will co/headline a North American tour in 2016
General Admission and VIp tickets are available
VIP includes a poster and early entry and a MEET / GREET WITH BOTH BANDS
that is correct , both bands will participate in the meet/greet

Tickets onsale now

26.04.2016 USA Hartford - Webster Theater
28.04.2016 USA New York City - Stage 48
29.04.2016 USA Pittsburgh - Altar Bar
30.04.2016 USA Cleveland - Agora Theater
01.05.2016 USA Detroit - Token Longue
03.05.2016 USA Chicago - Concord Music Hall
04.05.2016 USA Minneapolis - Mill City Nights
05.05.2016 USA Kansas City - Granada Theater
06.05.2016 USA Denver - Bluebird Theater
08.05.2016 USA Seattle - El Corazon
09.05.2016 CAN Vancouver – Rickshaw Theater
11.05.2016 USA San Francisco – Rockbar Theater
12.05.2016 USA Los Angeles - The Grove
13.05.2016 USA Las Vegas - LVCS
14.05.2016 USA San Diego - Brick By Brick
15.05.2016 USA Phoenix - Club Red
17.05.2016 USA Dallas - Trees
18.05.2016 USA Houston - Scout Bar
20.05.2016 USA Orlando - The Haven
21.05.2016 USA Tampa - Orpheum
22.05.2016 USA Atlanta – The Masquerade
24.05.2016 USA Baltimore - Soundstage
25.05.2016 USA Albany - Upstate Concert Hall
26.05.2016 USA Philadelphia – The Trocadero
28.05.2016 USA Worcester – The Palladium
30.05.2016 CAN Montreal - Club Soda
31.05.2016 CAN Quebec City - Imperial
01.06.2016 CAN Toronto - Mod Club
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #681 on: November 13, 2015, 03:41:58 PM »
Fuck, this new Masterplan DVD is really disappointing.  The whole damn thing is overdubbed and badly I might add.  The CD is good and the performances presented are strong, and Rick sounds great on the old stuff but the DVD is terrible.  I can't believe they released this to be honest.

I've been going off concert DVD's for a while and this supports that.  I'm actually hesitant to get the Pagan's Mind and Harem Scarem ones too.  :-\

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #682 on: November 13, 2015, 03:51:57 PM »
Fuck, this new Masterplan DVD is really disappointing.  The whole damn thing is overdubbed and badly I might add.  The CD is good and the performances presented are strong, and Rick sounds great on the old stuff but the DVD is terrible.  I can't believe they released this to be honest.

That sucks!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #683 on: November 13, 2015, 03:58:06 PM »

That sucks!

Damn... I can't watch it yet (cuz it doesn't play on PS3s), but was listening to it yesterday.  SOUNDS really good.

I'll watch Pagan's Mind and let you know how it is.  I'll still be supporting my boys, and getting Live at Phoenix.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #684 on: November 13, 2015, 04:02:55 PM »
I listened to the cd first and thought the same thing, I'm happy with the cd.  The DVD just seems like the audio and visual are from totally different performances.  Mainly Roland though that's the worst.  All his guitar tracks are redone I'm sure.  Maybe that's why I'm so disappointed as Roland I'm really keen on.

I probably will end up getting both the Pagan's Mind and Harem Scarem though.

Offline Art

« Reply #685 on: November 14, 2015, 05:09:17 AM »
I love Roland Grapow, but he does this kind of stuff at least since High Live.  :lol

Offline ori.elias5

• Its only in your mind
« Reply #686 on: November 14, 2015, 08:35:14 AM »
I love Roland Grapow, but he does this kind of stuff at least since High Live.  :lol

Am i the only one who thinks Chameleon is a great album? one of my favorite by Helloween. it has a special vibe and from what i understand it was Grapow who led them to that direction.

Also, The dark ride  :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #687 on: November 14, 2015, 10:05:11 AM »
Chameleon is a mixed bag and easily the worst of the Kiske era. You could tell the band was being torn apart at the seams.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #688 on: November 14, 2015, 10:08:50 AM »
Both Chameleon and Pink Bubbles have some excellent tracks on them.  Also some pretty weak ones.

If you condensed both into one album with the strong tracks, it would be one stellar disc.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #689 on: November 14, 2015, 10:10:31 AM »
Pink Bubbles has really aged well. I remember buying Pink Bubbles and Metallica's TBA on the same day. I was like WTF?

Both have aged ecxellently.

Offline Art

« Reply #690 on: November 14, 2015, 10:14:18 AM »
Giants is one of my favorite Helloween songs. When The Sinner is also very good. But yeah, both Pink Bubbles and Chameleon are mixed bags, some good stuff, and some not so good.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #691 on: November 14, 2015, 10:19:24 AM »
I'm with you on Giants. I like the live versions to When The Sinner. And First Time musically is amazing but has cringeworthy lyrics.

I'm a huge Kiske fan so I think Longing is spectacular.

Can't wait to see what tunes Roland rerecords. He mentioned The Chance. Nobody is going to top what Kiske did on that. Nobody.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #692 on: November 14, 2015, 08:13:28 PM »
Giants, Step out of Hell and Crazy Cat are probably my favorites from Chameleon

And Tim, considering you are the biggest Keeper albums fan on DTF, I could only imagine your shock when you first heard Pink Bubbles lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #693 on: November 15, 2015, 03:38:45 AM »
Pink Bubbles is easily the better album of the two, but neither ever did much for me.

Thank fuck Deris came in IMO.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #694 on: November 15, 2015, 10:12:32 AM »
Giants, Step out of Hell and Crazy Cat are probably my favorites from Chameleon

And Tim, considering you are the biggest Keeper albums fan on DTF, I could only imagine your shock when you first heard Pink Bubbles lol

Oh yeah. Like I said I bought TBA at the same time. I bought them both while in New Jersey visiting my college roommate. I alternated both on the drive home to Mass. I wasn't sure which band I was more disappointed in.

And Step Out Of Hell is  :metal

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #695 on: November 15, 2015, 11:01:36 AM »
Pink Bubbles is easily the better album of the two, but neither ever did much for me.

Thank fuck Deris came in IMO.

I can't remember, was Kiske actually fired or was it a mutual decision?

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #696 on: November 15, 2015, 11:02:26 AM »
I think it's the former. As far as I know, Kiske still holds a grudge with Weikath.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #697 on: November 15, 2015, 11:11:09 AM »
yes, I checked it out and he was fired due to creative differences.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #698 on: November 15, 2015, 03:31:04 PM »
I believe Kiske was upset when Kai left.

You can tell there were creative differences just by listening to Chameleon. It's like two different bands recorded that album.

Offline Art

« Reply #699 on: November 16, 2015, 03:56:58 AM »
And it´s amazing how much focused they got after that, Master Of The Rings is such a great record.