Author Topic: Power Metal  (Read 93987 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Power Metal
« Reply #630 on: October 19, 2015, 05:17:25 AM »
I'll check it out.

Random comment here, but I really fucking wish Nocturnal Rites did another album.  They haven't even disclosed if they are somewhat active or any sort of status of the band.  Once Nils left that was it.  They did announce a replacement but nothing, so sad.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Art

« Reply #631 on: October 19, 2015, 05:34:03 AM »
I'll check it out.

Random comment here, but I really fucking wish Nocturnal Rites did another album.  They haven't even disclosed if they are somewhat active or any sort of status of the band.  Once Nils left that was it.  They did announce a replacement but nothing, so sad.

I really liked Afterlife back in the day, but haven´t heard any album after that, i think.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #632 on: October 19, 2015, 05:39:14 AM »
After that one, they were all brilliant IMO.

Offline Art

« Reply #633 on: October 19, 2015, 05:43:01 AM »
Cool, i´ll check them out!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #634 on: October 19, 2015, 02:11:49 PM »
I've only heard Afterlife from NR, I thought it was solid

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #635 on: October 19, 2015, 02:54:37 PM »
Great band. They were working on a new album but that was an age ago.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #636 on: October 19, 2015, 03:15:36 PM »
Great band. They were working on a new album but that was an age ago.

I checked their website and the website hasn't been updated since 2011 and the facebook 2013.  :tdwn

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #637 on: October 21, 2015, 08:03:22 AM »
soo I really really like Nocturnal Rites, I would highly recommend their albums after Afterlife as well.

My friend and I got drunk and emailed them, here is our email.. and response

My email

Dearest Fredrik,

It's been exactly one year since I trusted a stranger, and it seem that fools really never do die.  My desire for a new album is truly never ending and not seeing your website updated since 2012 cuts like a knife.  On a serious note, I hope all is well in life and with the band.  Please let me know when I can expect to hear you're newest works because I am holding on to the flame, and I hope that the flame will never die.

All the Best,
Marc   

and response

Hey Marc

Thanx for writing. We are working on a new album, I don´t know when it will be out, but now you know that we are STILL ALIVE:)

However, that was over a year ago and I did follow up about 6 months ago with another lyric filled email, but that time did not get a response.  :(

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #638 on: October 22, 2015, 05:54:39 AM »
Really well done with that email, lots of song titles there, and the response renders some hope.  We can do just that, hope that it happens one day.  I love 'em too bro, a new album would just be ridiculous.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #639 on: October 22, 2015, 06:10:28 AM »
Well he didnt respond to my follow up, so I lost hope for ever hearing any new music from them.... as a song by them comes on my random playlist  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #640 on: November 01, 2015, 03:41:23 AM »
So Gamma Ray have hired some nobody to be the new lead singer.

https://youtu.be/cM_4nn__fE0

He sings okay, but I don't know, it just feels weird.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #641 on: November 01, 2015, 04:27:35 AM »
I think Kai just had some trouble with his voice on certain shows this tour. This video is from 23rd April 2014. They've played in Moscow two days later, at 25th April. I attended that show and Kai sang all the songs - and he sounded pretty good - so I don't think he's a permanent replacement or anything.

Edit: here's the setlist from that Helsinki show. Apparently there were just a few guest musicians. Fabio Lione sang on some songs too.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #642 on: November 01, 2015, 04:47:25 AM »
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/gamma-ray-hires-frank-beck-as-its-new-lead-singer/

"From now, on the vocals there will be Mr. Kai Hansen as usual plus and welcome please Mr. Frank Beck with whom the band has done already a good amount of shows in the past.

"We found out that Frank is not only a great singer that very much fits into the band from his voice and from his temper of the voice and his kind of singing but as well as a very very good human being that is fit to live up to the extreme expectations that we as a band have for people joining. Mainly this guy cannot only sing, he can party, too and that's very important. So that was reason one.

"Another good reason was that Kai just felt that it's time for him to cut a bit shorter on singing, because he found out that his long touring, especially headline shows after a while, always tends to fuck up the voice and end up with something that is not a hundred percent. So sharing the vocals makes things much easier and much more pleasurable.

"It will not only give the band a new dimension soundwise or vocalwise but it will as well — and here is reason number three — give Kai the freedom to move around on stage a lot and plus create a bit more action on the live performances and be more free to play the guitar which actually he does like a lot.

"So, ladies and gentleman, please welcome the new GAMMA RAY and please welcome Mr. Frank Beck."

Read more at https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/gamma-ray-hires-frank-beck-as-its-new-lead-singer/#FAM5O868WUbQHAsc.99

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #643 on: November 01, 2015, 04:56:10 AM »
Well, damn then. :-\

Though I do think it's good thing for Kai.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #644 on: November 01, 2015, 05:08:26 AM »
As long as they can make it work for the good of the band, it is good for Kai.  Their live show can only improve really.  Interesting to hear what the studio stuff will sound like.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #645 on: November 01, 2015, 05:19:09 AM »
Should've hired Kiske!!! :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #646 on: November 01, 2015, 06:48:12 AM »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #647 on: November 01, 2015, 02:18:32 PM »
Just found this from 2013.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mkRCVV36rs

All I can do is  :hefdaddy

What's the deal with that jacket and hooded sweatshirt? :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #648 on: November 01, 2015, 09:10:16 PM »

Offline NotePad

« Reply #649 on: November 04, 2015, 09:29:30 AM »
So does this mean the new guy will be an official member, singing on future albums? That will be odd. Will be interesting to see if they both sing on the next album. I don't like this news. Its weird. To me, Kai is the only frontman of Gamma Ray.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #650 on: November 04, 2015, 10:38:58 PM »
So does this mean the new guy will be an official member, singing on future albums? That will be odd. Will be interesting to see if they both sing on the next album. I don't like this news. Its weird. To me, Kai is the only frontman of Gamma Ray.

Did you read the article bro?

Come to think of it, this could be good.  Kai can focus back on his solos.  They have been slack for quite some time now.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #651 on: November 06, 2015, 04:30:44 AM »
Fuck yeah, Ralf performing One With the World with Gamma Ray;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kX7lf2-UhL8

Watching this vid, I love Primal Fear, but this feels so right too.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #652 on: November 06, 2015, 04:39:11 AM »
grr-  Black Majesty are launching their new album in Melbourne tomorrow night and I can't go out  >:(
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Art

« Reply #653 on: November 06, 2015, 04:45:03 AM »

Yeah , that was pretty cool!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #654 on: November 06, 2015, 04:46:31 AM »
grr-  Black Majesty are launching their new album in Melbourne tomorrow night and I can't go out  >:(

I'm still yet to order this one.  What I've heard sounds solid as normal, perhaps even a step up from the last too.

I'd be so there bro.

Yeah , that was pretty cool!

Indeed.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #655 on: November 06, 2015, 04:49:51 AM »
Listening to this new Stratovarius again, I think it's fantastic.  Jani writing a few songs seems weird and there's at least two that are direct copies of Cain's Offering stuff, but overall it's really good.  The epic is a grower, but I like this better than Nemesis.  There's less filler and it's less bloated.  I don't think there's any filler on it really.  I could do without the ballad, but it's alright.

The melodies and some of the structures here are really mature and wonderful to listen to.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #656 on: November 06, 2015, 10:00:28 AM »
Maybe Kai will let Beck do most of the vocals on their next album. This way Kai can focus more of the songwriting and coming up with totally original stuff instead of ripping off Maiden, Priest etc. I like Gamma Ray, but come on now, the "Homages" are getting ridiculous. I swear Steve Harris wrote an entire song on one of their latest records.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #657 on: November 06, 2015, 01:40:14 PM »
Listening to this new Stratovarius again, I think it's fantastic.  Jani writing a few songs seems weird and there's at least two that are direct copies of Cain's Offering stuff, but overall it's really good.  The epic is a grower, but I like this better than Nemesis.  There's less filler and it's less bloated.  I don't think there's any filler on it really.  I could do without the ballad, but it's alright.

The melodies and some of the structures here are really mature and wonderful to listen to.

I'm spinning it right now, and it is really, REALLY good.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #658 on: November 06, 2015, 03:41:14 PM »

I'm spinning it right now, and it is really, REALLY good.

I'm surprised how mature and classy this album is, it's awesome.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #659 on: November 06, 2015, 04:00:27 PM »
I'll give it another go but I thought it sounded like a pretty uninspired album .......like they were on cruise control after Nemesis.  I love Strato when they're firing , so will give it another chance.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #660 on: November 06, 2015, 04:07:06 PM »
This is much better than Nemesis IMO.  Although, I wasn't a huge fan of it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #661 on: November 06, 2015, 04:12:06 PM »
Listening to it now. Haven't bothered with Strats basically ever. 5 songs in. It's not bad. I like music like this but it's pretty generic. It's hard to tell if it's inspired or not. Lots of catchy hooks though, I'll give it that. I do feel like I'll like it more on subsequent listens. And I'm not saying I don't like it.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #662 on: November 06, 2015, 05:14:15 PM »
I'll give it another go but I thought it sounded like a pretty uninspired album .......like they were on cruise control after Nemesis.
Same here. Extremely disappointing album after Nemesis.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #663 on: November 08, 2015, 03:08:06 AM »
Listening to it now. Haven't bothered with Strats basically ever. 5 songs in. It's not bad. I like music like this but it's pretty generic. It's hard to tell if it's inspired or not. Lots of catchy hooks though, I'll give it that. I do feel like I'll like it more on subsequent listens. And I'm not saying I don't like it.

I find it really inspired actually.  Loving it, listening again right now.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #664 on: November 08, 2015, 01:34:56 PM »
Listening now and so far it's all the things I don't like about power metal.. Too cheerful, bass drum just going dubbadubbadubba all the time, and those horrible dance music keyboards.
I just like minor keys too much.