Author Topic: Power Metal  (Read 93880 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Power Metal
« Reply #595 on: October 07, 2015, 12:39:33 PM »
Band sounds great

Wow, they sure as hell do! :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline NotePad

« Reply #596 on: October 07, 2015, 02:09:21 PM »
Anyone else feel that the new Helloween album doesn't have enough of the classic guitar harmonies they're known for? Its a good album, but it lacks this I bet because its mainly a Debris written album. That disappoints me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #597 on: October 07, 2015, 08:47:46 PM »
Band sounds great

Wow, they sure as hell do! :metal

As I said, there is a few obvious overdubs, but I'm really impressed with this too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #598 on: October 07, 2015, 08:53:25 PM »
Anyone else feel that the new Helloween album doesn't have enough of the classic guitar harmonies they're known for? Its a good album, but it lacks this I bet because its mainly a Debris written album. That disappoints me.

Yep - Debris writes rubbish.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #599 on: October 07, 2015, 08:55:00 PM »
I don't know who this Debris fella is?

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #600 on: October 07, 2015, 09:54:29 PM »

He's a waste.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #601 on: October 07, 2015, 09:56:53 PM »

He's a waste.

Rubbish of a statement.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #602 on: October 08, 2015, 04:53:11 AM »
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #603 on: October 08, 2015, 05:37:32 AM »

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #604 on: October 08, 2015, 08:07:32 AM »
Hey, can it you guys

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #605 on: October 08, 2015, 08:33:50 AM »
This page is junk.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline NotePad

« Reply #606 on: October 08, 2015, 12:47:29 PM »
My fuckin Nexus automatically turns Deris into Debris withou me noticing. Its too small a change to notice.

But this is the power metal forum. Let's talk about power metal.

Anyone heard about the new Masterplan live DVD? I cant say I'd buy it, that new singer is lousy. Its a shame because they're such a great band, them latest album is great, but the vocals really bring it down. He's a poor-mans Jorn Lande. I wish Roland Grapow would realize there's only one Jorn Lande and hadn't replaced him with a very poor imitation. I wish instead of this new lousy Jorn imitator they had gone for a singer with a different vocal style.

Anyone here actually like the new singer?

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #607 on: October 08, 2015, 12:59:53 PM »
Rick Altzi? Yeah, I like him. He's no Jorn, but he's a good vocalist.

And hey man, you asked almost the same question back then in your post from this very thread...

Speaking of Master plan, is anyone not a fan of their new singer? I'm a huge fan of Masterplan, but that guy ruined their last album. I don't understand why Roland thinks he has to replace Jorn Lande with a half-assed imitation. The new guy is clearly trying to be Jorn but sounds nowhere near as good and doesn't have the range. It is very unfortunate.

Also, I can't help but give a :clap: for all the trash talk on this page.

Edit: and speaking about power metal - I think the opener from new Vanden Plas (Vision 11even - In My Universe) is going to blow you guys all away.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 01:10:38 PM by Evermind »
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #608 on: October 08, 2015, 04:05:09 PM »
Anyone here actually like the new singer?

Yes.

Edit: and speaking about power metal - I think the opener from new Vanden Plas (Vision 11even - In My Universe) is going to blow you guys all away.

Why are you teasing us!?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #609 on: October 08, 2015, 07:12:30 PM »
Love Altzi. Gonna take a slight adjustment to hear him singing Jorn Songs, but I'll adapt.

Ruslan... The offer still stands for my roulette.  ;)

Offline NotePad

« Reply #610 on: October 09, 2015, 11:31:24 AM »
Rick Altzi? Yeah, I like him. He's no Jorn, but he's a good vocalist.

And hey man, you asked almost the same question back then in your post from this very thread...

Speaking of Master plan, is anyone not a fan of their new singer? I'm a huge fan of Masterplan, but that guy ruined their last album. I don't understand why Roland thinks he has to replace Jorn Lande with a half-assed imitation. The new guy is clearly trying to be Jorn but sounds nowhere near as good and doesn't have the range. It is very unfortunate.

Also, I can't help but give a :clap: for all the trash talk on this page.

Don't speak of such things.

Would you guys consider newer Accept as being power metal? Blind Rage is an amazing album. I'm not the most well-versed in the works of Accept, but based on all I've heard, the newer Accept with Mark Tornillo sounds very different from older Accept. I bring this up because a lot of people say, including the band themselves, say the new stuff like Blind Rage is classic Accept. But to me it'sounds nothing like their old stuff. It actually sounds better, I love it (although Metal Heart is up there because of its glam style).
But would you say new Accept is almost power metal? It's at least very close to being so. Just like, IMO, Priest's Redeemer of Souls albums sounds very power metal inspired. (And I don't mean lyrically, because not all power metal is about fantasy!)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 11:39:19 AM by NotePad »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #611 on: October 09, 2015, 01:07:33 PM »
Would you guys consider newer Accept as being power metal? Blind Rage is an amazing album. I'm not the most well-versed in the works of Accept, but based on all I've heard, the newer Accept with Mark Tornillo sounds very different from older Accept. I bring this up because a lot of people say, including the band themselves, say the new stuff like Blind Rage is classic Accept. But to me it'sounds nothing like their old stuff. It actually sounds better, I love it (although Metal Heart is up there because of its glam style).
But would you say new Accept is almost power metal? It's at least very close to being so. Just like, IMO, Priest's Redeemer of Souls albums sounds very power metal inspired. (And I don't mean lyrically, because not all power metal is about fantasy!)

Notepad, what is with you and your EPMCS (Endless Power Metal Classification Syndrome)?

But I'm always happy to talk Accept!!

Modern era Accept definitely has its roots in the Classic Era. Honestly I don't find that much difference. It is similar if you compare Saxon's Sacrifice with Denim And Leather. If there is a difference, it's that the technology and production has made it more..um  :facepalm: I can't believe I'm gonna say it...powerful. ;D

I will say that the blueprint to the European Power Metal movement is Accept's Fast As A Shark, but Accept is more of a Classic Heavy Metal band.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #612 on: October 09, 2015, 03:19:02 PM »
New Accept rules!!

And I can't say I've personally ever classified anything as Power Metal.  To me, its just metal, hard rock or rock.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #613 on: October 09, 2015, 05:04:46 PM »
New Accept rules!!

This.  I couldn't give a shit what they get called.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #614 on: October 13, 2015, 12:08:36 PM »
It's more that I'm interested in genre classification and why certain bands get lumped into one genre or subgenre and not another. It's just that my favorite bands happen to be power metal. It makes me curious why some of them ARE classed as PM with so many differences compared to other popular bands in the genre.

As for Accept....idk, new Accept sounds quite different to classic Accept beyond the differences in modern and old production techniques.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #615 on: October 13, 2015, 12:10:44 PM »
Maybe TAC can explain some power metal classification

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #616 on: October 13, 2015, 03:15:32 PM »

No F'n way!  :lol

As for Accept....idk, new Accept sounds quite different to classic Accept beyond the differences in modern and old production techniques.

Well it's a huge factor for me.
But musically speaking, let me say this.

New Accept feels heavier. Soundwise this can be chocked up to recording, but songwise, the songs just feel fatter and heavier.

Old Accept was a lot more diverse. You had songs like Fast As A Shark, Breaker, and TV War that were definite precursors to Power Metal. But they could play a classic NWOBHM style, a basic style a la AC/DC/Krokus, and some experimental stuff like Teach Us To Servive.

If anything, Old Accept were a bit more multidimensional, but both eras have that great Wolf Hoffman guitar tone and the Peter Baltes hard backing vocals.

Notepad, how would you sum up the differences? How familiar are you with Old Accept?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 03:22:20 PM by TAC »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #617 on: October 13, 2015, 03:23:32 PM »
New Accept rules!!

I call them AWESOME! That ok? ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #618 on: October 13, 2015, 04:29:13 PM »
New Accept rules!!

I call them AWESOME! That ok? ;D

Yes, cause I call them that also.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #619 on: October 15, 2015, 12:58:51 PM »

No F'n way!  :lol

Well it's a huge factor for me.
But musically speaking, let me say this.

New Accept feels heavier. Soundwise this can be chocked up to recording, but songwise, the songs just feel fatter and heavier.

Old Accept was a lot more diverse. You had songs like Fast As A Shark, Breaker, and TV War that were definite precursors to Power Metal. But they could play a classic NWOBHM style, a basic style a la AC/DC/Krokus, and some experimental stuff like Teach Us To Servive.

If anything, Old Accept were a bit more multidimensional, but both eras have that great Wolf Hoffman guitar tone and the Peter Baltes hard backing vocals.

Notepad, how would you sum up the differences? How familiar are you with Old Accept?

I'm not super familiar with old Accept, but I have heard quite a bit. I especially like Metal Heart because I love the 80s hard rock feel to a lot of the songs.

I do realize that they were a bit more diverse back then. I was reading different reviews of their old stuff where someone said some of their stuff was more hard rock. And that's where the difference is because, as you said, they are more consistently heavy metal these days. There's no hard rock on the last 3 albums, its pure metal.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #620 on: October 15, 2015, 09:03:36 PM »
Not just pure metal, but powerful pure metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #621 on: October 16, 2015, 04:58:58 PM »
Come up in my youtube subscriptions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SelMOgDxd2E

Not bad.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #622 on: October 16, 2015, 06:19:47 PM »
:lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #623 on: October 16, 2015, 06:27:37 PM »

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #624 on: October 16, 2015, 08:04:46 PM »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #625 on: October 17, 2015, 06:59:05 AM »

Not bad.

Damn... that is pretty sweet.  I've got one Manimal song in my library - I think Kirksnosehair gave them to me in my last roulette.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #626 on: October 17, 2015, 11:02:25 AM »
What does everyone think of the latest Unisonic album? Or has that already been addressed? Either way, what are the opinions on it?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #627 on: October 17, 2015, 11:42:44 AM »
The latest as in last year's?

I thought it was awesome. In my Top 5 of this decade.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #628 on: October 17, 2015, 03:37:01 PM »

Not bad.

Damn... that is pretty sweet.  I've got one Manimal song in my library - I think Kirksnosehair gave them to me in my last roulette.

Never heard them before, but will probably check this out, and their first album also.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #629 on: October 17, 2015, 06:40:10 PM »
I have their first album...........solid , but nothing brilliant.  This new track sounds like a step up.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au