Author Topic: Power Metal  (Read 93882 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Power Metal
« Reply #455 on: June 02, 2015, 04:36:05 PM »
I've slowly getting back into some power metal and I really dug this album from last year from Teramaze.  Here's one song from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmEueRs4KKw
Sounds good. I'm pretty sure I sampled it last year. Not sure why I didn't pull the trigger.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #456 on: June 02, 2015, 04:47:52 PM »
I like the old school melody with a singer that can sing.  It's a good album to mow the lawn with.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #457 on: June 02, 2015, 08:52:22 PM »
The music is really good on the new Pyramaze, but I don't care for the vocalist. It just sounds like he's yelling at me rather than singing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #458 on: June 03, 2015, 04:50:43 AM »
The music is really good on the new Pyramaze, but I don't care for the vocalist. It just sounds like he's yelling at me rather than singing.

I should be receiving my copy of this any day.  I for one am looking forward to it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #459 on: June 04, 2015, 10:24:43 AM »
Yea, I wasn't a huge fan of Jorns last album with Masterplan. One problem was the songs were too similar to one another, they lacked variety. The first two Masterp!an albums are two of my favorite metal albums.

And I dont necessarily think Altzi was trying to be Jorn, but he was definitely trying to fit himself into that role. I don't think he has as much range either. I have to blame Grapow though, I think they should have just gone for a different singer and not try to fill that "husky metal vocalist" role. I understand they have a unique sound and need to replace Jorn, but you can't. They can still sound like Masterplan without as Jorn Lande-lite singer. Look at Helloween, deris sounds very different from Kiske and they're still popular.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #460 on: June 04, 2015, 04:10:24 PM »
Oh well, each to their own, I think Rick is a great fit for Masterplan and really loved the last album.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #462 on: June 10, 2015, 06:26:20 AM »
The LORD and Firewind ones are absolutely amazing.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #463 on: June 10, 2015, 10:57:18 AM »
Yea Firewind does a great job on Maniac. For me ReinXeed does some fun covers, I think Viva Forever could easily been a Power Metal tune from the start, ok maybe with slightly diffrent lyrics.  :lol The same goes with Dragonforce and Ring Of Fire. DF have the upper edge on the production though.

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #464 on: June 10, 2015, 04:30:45 PM »
That Aha song doesn't translate well into a metal song at all.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #465 on: June 10, 2015, 06:26:12 PM »
The Firewind blows. I have that album and it completely kills the buzz of an otherwise pretty good album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #466 on: June 10, 2015, 07:24:05 PM »
The Firewind blows. I have that album and it completely kills the buzz of an otherwise pretty good album.

I like it, but understand what you mean.  It's actually a terrific album and I always thought they should have just stuck it on the end as a bonus track.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #467 on: June 11, 2015, 11:14:44 AM »
I have yet to hear Serious Black, but I hope Roland's involvement doesn't delay any future Masterplan albums.

Oh well, each to their own, I think Rick is a great fit for Masterplan and really loved the last album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #468 on: June 11, 2015, 04:12:23 PM »
Roland is no longer in Serious Black, so I doubt it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #469 on: June 11, 2015, 04:25:16 PM »
Roland is no longer in Serious Black, so I doubt it.
What?
That was quick.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #470 on: June 11, 2015, 04:36:20 PM »
21st of Feb, found this from a facebook post.

Hi Friends, i have some big news here, i am mixing right now the new Masterplan live DVD, also we gonna start in March working on our new studio album, there will be also an extra bonus CD of my written Helloween songs, rerecorded of course with MasterPlan.
and yes!!!!!! I left Serious Black, sorry guys it didn't work out! Good luck guys
; ) My heart beats only for Masterplan!!!!!!!!!!

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #471 on: June 12, 2015, 01:25:22 AM »
Those rerecorded Helloween songs could be an interesting listen.

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #472 on: June 12, 2015, 08:38:25 AM »
Anyone check out the new Cain's Offering album "Stormcrow" ?

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #473 on: June 12, 2015, 08:40:14 AM »

Yeah, but I haven't listened that much to it yet. Some fine songs on it.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #474 on: June 12, 2015, 08:42:06 AM »
Yeah it was talked about a little, but I think in another thread. Personally, I thought it was pretty generic with only a couple of standout tracks. I quite liked My Heart Beats For No One.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #475 on: June 12, 2015, 11:40:31 AM »
Easily my fave power metal album of the year and I've pimped Cain's Offering in the Stratvarius thread.

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #476 on: June 12, 2015, 02:03:01 PM »
It is pretty generic power metal but its exactly what you'd expect when you get a cross between older SA and Stratovarius. No song has really jumped out at me so far other than I will build you a rome.

And that explains why I havent seen any threads about it. lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #477 on: June 13, 2015, 11:29:58 AM »
Posted on FB today

Francesco Jovino is the new Primal Fear drummer! After 10 years behind the drums for U.D.O., Francesco is back! Primal Fear founding member Tom Naumann joins the band as an official member! After two years touring with Primal Fear, Tom is now back as a full member. Magnus Karlsson will remain a member of the band and will co-write the new album of the band. The recordings of the new Primal Fear album will start in Mid-July @ Hansen Studio in Denmark with producer Mat Sinner & engineer Jacob Hansen. 12 songs are already written, in pre production. The new album will be released worldwide in January 2016 via Frontiers Music srl
To all Primal Fear and Aquiles Priester FANS around the world! We knew it would be a hard mission for us, but we’ve given it a try and unfortunately, to combine our present obligations and our future endeavors, it has become impossible to have a cohesive band together. Due to our schedules and the distance between the continents we have decided to part ways. From both sides we do not have any regrets at all and we are very happy that we have tried our best to make it happen. We are all still good friends and we wish all the best for each other in the future.
Mat, Ralf, Aquiles, Tom and Alex.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #478 on: June 13, 2015, 03:25:24 PM »
new Primal Fear=great news!

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #479 on: June 14, 2015, 01:14:54 AM »
Looking forward to that. But Aquiles Priester wasn't in the band very long, was he?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #480 on: June 14, 2015, 03:53:39 AM »
Looking forward to that. But Aquiles Priester wasn't in the band very long, was he?

Not even six months I'd say.

This is teriffic news having Tom back in the band.  His guitar playing is awesome.  My guessing from this is that Magnus will stay with the band writing and recording the albums with Mat and Ralf only while the touring is left up to the other two.  Pretty much the way it's been since Magnus joined anyway.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #481 on: June 15, 2015, 10:11:44 AM »
21st of Feb, found this from a facebook post.

Hi Friends, i have some big news here, i am mixing right now the new Masterplan live DVD, also we gonna start in March working on our new studio album, there will be also an extra bonus CD of my written Helloween songs, rerecorded of course with MasterPlan.
and yes!!!!!! I left Serious Black, sorry guys it didn't work out! Good luck guys
; ) My heart beats only for Masterplan!!!!!!!!!!

Probably too many big ego's in Serious Black. Whereas Masterplan is his band.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #482 on: June 25, 2015, 03:07:55 PM »
Finally a new album from Gloryhammer, I really enjoyed their killer debut album of 2013.

Mighty warriors of the Galaxy! Today we can announce that our 2nd album "Space 1992: Rise of the Chaos Wizards" will be unleashed upon the universe on September 25th 2015AD (After Dundee)! The album will feature 10 glorious battle anthems which chronicle the legends of the Galactic Empire of Fife, the titles of which are as follows:

1. Infernus Ad Astra
2. Rise of the Chaos Wizards
3. Legend of the Astral Hammer
4. Goblin King of the Darkstorm Galaxy
5. The Hollywood Hootsman
6. Victorious Eagle Warfare
7. Questlords of Inverness, Ride to the Galactic Fortress!
8. Universe on Fire
9. Heroes (of Dundee)
10. Apocalypse 1992

Offline NotePad

« Reply #483 on: June 30, 2015, 09:56:46 AM »
I like hearing Roland left Serious Black because I have to assume it's hard for him to get his inf!hence in considering its a "supergroup". I suspect that's why he left; Masterplan is his. Even though I'm not a fan of the new singer.

The rerecorded Helloween songs should be awesome, especially since they will be only Roland written songs. Will be cool to hear versions of Time of The Oath, The Chance, Escalation 666, or The Dark Ride by the current line up. But it would be so much better with Jorn ;)

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #484 on: June 30, 2015, 01:51:20 PM »
My kids introduced me to this awesome Viking/folk metal band

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8qSkaAwKMD4

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #485 on: June 30, 2015, 02:35:39 PM »
lololololol

It's the Viking version of Steel Panther ... kinda.

But not really.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #486 on: June 30, 2015, 03:35:07 PM »
My kids introduced me to this awesome Viking/folk metal band

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8qSkaAwKMD4

lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #487 on: June 30, 2015, 03:45:52 PM »
WTF? Literally!  :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #488 on: June 30, 2015, 04:17:29 PM »
WTF? Literally!  :lol

It's from a UK kids history program, Horrible Histories. It's pretty funny.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #489 on: June 30, 2015, 04:24:36 PM »
Yes, very funny. Love the Gene Simmons style bass!