Author Topic: Power Metal  (Read 93967 times)

Offline NotePad

Re: Power Metal
« Reply #210 on: February 08, 2014, 12:09:59 AM »
The earlier Edguy albums are definitely more power metal-ish. But listening to Rocket Ride today, there are still elements of power metal. Some songs of course simply aren't, but some are. No matter what Edguy tries new, they will always continue to write power-metal-ish chorus's on most of their songs.

I found it interesting reading reviews of Hellfire Club, because most seem to love it. Don't get me wrong, I really like it too, but it was definitely the start of Edguy's transformation. Many think it's a power metal classic. They definately varied it more then usual up until that point. That's one of the reasons i compare them to what Helloween's been doing recently. They're so much more then a classic euro-type power-metal band.

And since i'v been really getting into Edguy, I'd like to announce here the title of their next album:
'SPACE POLICE - DEFENDERS OF THE CROWN'

I have yet to hear anyhing else about it. I'm expecting more Rocket Ride or Age of The Joker style Edguy. I do hope there is more of the style they had on Mandrake, which to me is just classic!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 01:19:36 AM by NotePad »

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #211 on: February 08, 2014, 07:50:13 PM »
I have zero expectations from Edguy, the last 2 as I have already commented on, are very poor.
It remains to be seen if Tobi is sharing any songwriting credits with the other guys?
I think he has put all his golden eggs into the Avantasia basket, leaving Edguy a poor second best for a number of years now.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #212 on: February 09, 2014, 12:09:05 AM »
Tobi is credited for writing pretty much everything, on all Edguy albums. I'v heard the guitarist writes every guitar solo, and i wouldn't be surprised, but he doesn't get any credits. I haven't actually heard any avantasia, but I'v heard that the recent Avantasia have the same hard rock elements to them. Jorn Lande was on their newest one, i heard, was he? Maybe that's why. (Jorn has yet to go 'full Kiske', but he's getting there).

I don't mind Edguy's recent 3 or so albums, but they are quite different from stuff like Mandrake. They no longer sound Helloween or Maiden influenced, like so much of the earlier stuff. I'm not interested in Avantasia. I really hope he starts focusing more on Edguy, because they're awesome, and a 'real' band. The guy is a clown, a show-off, but he makes great music and can sing like a motherfucker! And i guess it's true; he doesn't reach the high notes on the newer Edguy. Maybe he's adjusting the music to that.

Question: tracks 2 and 3 off Rocket Ride remind me very much of other songs I'v heard, well-known songs. Anyone know?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 12:40:45 AM by NotePad »

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #213 on: February 09, 2014, 03:56:37 AM »
Jorn wasn't on the last Avantasia, which I think was a brilliant decision (though he was asked to join, but due to being unavailable for the upcoming tour, he didn't end up on the record), and the album won big time because of this in my book. Last Avantasia was very solid, while last two Edguy records were meh. I have to agree with:

I have zero expectations from Edguy

but that means I won't be disappointed with Space Police anyway.

And by the way, there is an official Edguy/Avantasia thread on this board, so if you want, we can keep discussing it there.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #214 on: February 09, 2014, 04:08:26 AM »
Question: tracks 2 and 3 off Rocket Ride remind me very much of other songs I'v heard, well-known songs. Anyone know?

No idea, do tell.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #215 on: February 22, 2014, 02:33:13 PM »
https://whiplash.net/materias/melhores/092460-blindguardian.html?refredir=197794&fb_source=message#.UwkKUl5hNT4

Pretty decent top 10, though I've never been an Iced Earth fan, except the live in Athens set.
Great to see the often forgotten Crimson Glory classic at 2.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #216 on: February 22, 2014, 03:22:21 PM »
https://whiplash.net/materias/melhores/092460-blindguardian.html?refredir=197794&fb_source=message#.UwkKUl5hNT4

Pretty decent top 10, though I've never been an Iced Earth fan, except the live in Athens set.
Great to see the often forgotten Crimson Glory classic at 2.

But Horror Show is just a great album. IE's best for me.
Decent list though I'm not a big fan of Stratovarius or Hammerfall.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #217 on: February 25, 2014, 03:32:44 PM »

No idea, do tell.
Yeah, no idea either.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline NotePad

« Reply #218 on: February 26, 2014, 01:11:52 PM »
Yea, tracks 2 and 3 both have chorus's that are incredibly catchy, but yea they sound very familiar. I can't figure out what songs for the life of me!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #219 on: February 26, 2014, 01:12:47 PM »
Yea, tracks 2 and 3 both have chorus's that are incredibly catchy, but yea they sound very familiar. I can't figure out what songs for the life of me!

Shit, I thought you had the answers!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline NotePad

« Reply #220 on: February 26, 2014, 02:00:02 PM »
If it sounded like I did, oops, I didn't mean for it to sound like that.
Since I first heard Wasted Time and Rocket Ride they sounded familiar to me. Maybe, like, Journey. I really can't say. Those two songs are some of my favorites off of Rocket Ride.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #221 on: February 27, 2014, 03:48:01 AM »

oh.......

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #222 on: February 27, 2014, 05:59:26 AM »

The riff at the start of track 2 has a Saxon/NWOBHM feel about it. I couldn't tell you exactly which song though.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #223 on: February 27, 2014, 11:49:24 PM »
I really find Rocket Ride and Wasted Time to be the best songs off of RR. Those guys know how to make catchy music, that's for sure.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #224 on: March 04, 2014, 11:37:35 AM »
Some really surprising, yet equally good news for Aussie power metal lovers.
Gloryhammer are touring down under in April/May.
Lots of dates on this pub/club tour.
https://www.gloryhammer.com/
If you haven't checked them out, please do, one of the best power metal album released in the last few years.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 11:50:08 AM by gazinwales »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #225 on: March 04, 2014, 01:02:31 PM »
Never heard of them. Will check out. :tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: March 04, 2014, 03:06:22 PM »
Yeah, I'm not familiar with this band either.  But that's an impressive tour of the east coast.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #227 on: March 04, 2014, 03:24:47 PM »
Yeah, I'm not familiar with this band either.  But that's an impressive tour of the east coast.
Wolf, if you don't mind me asking, where are you in Australia?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #228 on: March 04, 2014, 03:28:22 PM »
Wolf, if you don't mind me asking, where are you in Australia?

South East Queensland.  Halfway between the city and the Gold Coast.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #229 on: March 04, 2014, 03:31:19 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTW30Q4B3Go

:rollin

How the hell can these guys afford to do an extensive south coast tour?  I know the venues are small as shit, but I hope they are not expecting big numbers.  Can't say I've even seen any of these guys cd's instore.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #230 on: March 04, 2014, 03:39:43 PM »
OH.

The band by the guy from Alestorm. I thought it was familar sounding. Always thought they were taking the piss out of symphonic power metal myself. Are they serious?   :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #231 on: March 04, 2014, 03:41:12 PM »
I didn't take that video seriously at all.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #232 on: March 04, 2014, 03:43:14 PM »
Given the people involved, yeah, this isn't serious.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #233 on: March 04, 2014, 10:08:08 PM »
I too don't know how this tour is going to break even, all the venues I guess are pretty small and only hold a couple hundred max, tickets are around $28!!!
Yeah probably not that too serious, but as I said the album is killer, my best album of 2013 and the best power metal album I've heard in the last few years.

Anathema have just announced a 3 date Aussie tour.

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #234 on: March 05, 2014, 01:32:57 AM »
The band by the guy from Alestorm. I thought it was familar sounding. Always thought they were taking the piss out of symphonic power metal myself. Are they serious?   :lol

Terry Gilliam: "Americans are good at laughing at other people. British are good at laughing at themselves".

They've got that very British sensibility of doing something seriously whilst not taking themselves seriously.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #235 on: March 05, 2014, 03:58:27 AM »
I too don't know how this tour is going to break even, all the venues I guess are pretty small and only hold a couple hundred max, tickets are around $28!!!
Yeah probably not that too serious, but as I said the album is killer, my best album of 2013 and the best power metal album I've heard in the last few years.

Anathema have just announced a 3 date Aussie tour.

Wow.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #236 on: March 25, 2014, 02:20:54 PM »
New Gamma Ray song;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkF-ErMnwNo

Pretty damn epic.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #237 on: March 25, 2014, 02:53:58 PM »
New Gamma Ray song;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkF-ErMnwNo

Pretty damn epic.

Heard that yesterday. Rxcellent. Bodes well for the album.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #238 on: March 25, 2014, 03:07:35 PM »
Some damn good Power Metal out of the Twin Cities, I think you'll dig these guys:

https://noblebeastofman.bandcamp.com/
That Drummer Guy's Reviews, Interviews, Playlists, Radio Shows, & Social Media:
https://www.thatdrummerguy.com

Offline NotePad

« Reply #239 on: March 28, 2014, 12:15:37 AM »
Man i just can't get into Gamma Ray! I used to own a copy of No World Order, and there were a couple songs i liked. I also liked the last softer song. But it just had a very odd sound, that i might have enjoyed a lot more if there was another vocalist singing. I really really think Gamma Ray would have benefited from a better vocalist, i just don't like his voice. He writes some good music, but i can't REALLY get into it because of this, and i don't bother listening to them at all anymore. The guy writes all the music for Gamma Ray, why did he ever leave Helloween? But at the same time, I definitely am a Weikath fan over Hansen, even though Weikath writes much less music personally. Michael Weikath will always be a king of power metal. I will challenge anyone who disagrees. I guarantee songs like Burning Sun and The Saints are better then anything Gamma Ray has done, ever!!!!!! That's power metal right there!!!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #240 on: March 28, 2014, 12:26:09 AM »
So Notepad........you like Helloween , yes?  :neverusethis:

I can't say I've ever been a huge fan of Hansen's voice either.  I found that new track above a bit unusual - I thought it had the potential to be fantastic but the guitar sound was a huge letdown.......tinny compared to what it needed to take it where it should've gone.

I pick and choose my Gamma Ray - I never play albums in full.   For example the debut Heading For Tomorrow is chock full of filler but the title track is a ripper.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #241 on: March 28, 2014, 01:22:54 AM »
I'll take Gamma Ray over Helloween, and Kai over Michael as a songwriter any day. I admit, his voice isnt great, but I don't know, can't imagine Gamma Ray with another vocalist these days.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #242 on: April 10, 2014, 06:52:17 AM »
Just received the new Gamma Ray and already given it one spin, it's pretty fucking good.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #243 on: April 10, 2014, 07:40:37 AM »
I've received it yesterday, havent had a chance to listen yet, maybe today. Need to learn lyrics till 25th April. :P The digipack itself is kinda flimsy though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #244 on: April 10, 2014, 03:52:36 PM »
I've received it yesterday, havent had a chance to listen yet, maybe today. Need to learn lyrics till 25th April. :P The digipack itself is kinda flimsy though.

Yeah, it is, but I like the layout with the pics and stuff, it's pretty well done.  Love the old school Powerplant dress up too.  Definitely giving it a classic feel.