Author Topic: Open Thoughts Forum As We head Into The Holiday  (Read 1010 times)

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
Open Thoughts Forum As We head Into The Holiday
« on: December 23, 2013, 06:54:07 AM »
Feel free to speak what is on your minds going into Christmas.
This is what is in my heavy heart...

Unfortunately, this is the time of year that magnify's the pain for those with a heavy heart. I see it all around me, myself included.
I have seen far too many loved ones leave this earth in 2013. I know more people struggling during the holidays (with various afflictions)this year than enjoying them. If Christmas focused a bit more on its true meaning that its secular commercial one, people might actually feel some hope rather than just despair. It makes me sad that to a large degree, this is what Christmas is now. (People hurting each other in stores to get bargains on material possessions)Certainly not for everyone, but you all know what I'm saying. My hope for everyone is this, be aware of those in your life who need more than monetary gifts. Most people need something far more powerful...love!
Its wonderful if you are fortunate enough to receive, new cell phones, I Pads, and XBoxes, etc, this year BUT...try and spend some energy pouring your love out to someone who really needs it. That is the true meaning of Christmas... and life in general.
Merry Christmas to all my friends!
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Open Thoughts Forum As We head Into The Holiday
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 07:02:35 AM »
Good call, Tick!  Respect.

I hate the orgy of consumerism this time of year.  We took some time to bake some Christmas cookies with our daughter this year to hand out to close friends and family.  My hope is that she grows up knowing the importance of putting a little bit of heart into the gifts you give at this time of year, rather than succumbing to the buy buy buy mentality.  Also, this is the first xmas since my father's death (he died on my birthday, 31 Dec, last year).  So I'll be raising a glass to him these holidays. 

Time with your loved ones is what's important at this time of year.  Life is precious, spend it with the ones you love and enjoy every moment.  Make cookies, paint, record music, write poems, give gifts that you made with your own two hands.  Show love.  Have fun.  <3

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 07:04:56 AM »
It's the time of the year to get with family which was my mom's favorite thing to do so we love being with each other and we honor our mom.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 08:16:26 AM »
I think it's really odd that the president would appoint me the job of security after trespassing on the White House lawn. Not sure how useful an invisible cat is... Also, I thought I was doing good by killing Gus Fring, but now I'm targeted by terrorists. Since when was Fring a terrorist?

Thanks Obama.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 08:16:57 AM »
Good food, family, friends and fun. That's all that this time of year has meant to me and ever will. My family celebrates the Winter Solstice more than anything else...although we do make Ableskivers on Christmas morning and then go sledding...hey we have the day off. Sure we have a gift exchange but by unwritten rule it's usually something small, inexpensive, fun and meant to enhance the experience of being together.

So that's just my way of saying I agree with you Tick and I try to live that way as much as possible.

Here are some photos from our Solstice celebration yesterday.

Warm wishes to all of you regardless of your favored holiday and a very Happy Christmas!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 08:32:21 AM »
Your family is so adorable. It's like a real-life version of those families in Hallmark channel movies.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 08:38:41 AM »
Your family is so adorable. It's like a real-life version of those families in Hallmark channel movies.

Or, it's a Lifetime Movie where Gregg gets completely ripped on Vodka and Vicodin.....pi$$es on the Christmas tree, slaps his niece for crying and then passes out face first in nor of those cakes?  :biggrin:

Just teasing......that looked like a great time! Lots of 'happy' going on there and looked like some great memories were made.

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 08:58:29 AM »

Or, it's a Lifetime Movie where Gregg gets completely ripped on Vodka and Vicodin.....pi$$es on the Christmas tree, slaps his niece for crying and then passes out face first in nor of those cakes?  :biggrin:

This genuinely made me laugh! Thank you, Gary! :lol
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 09:18:38 AM »

Yeah, I have a good looking family and because I'm usually the person behind the camera it spares you all from having to see my elderly mug. Thanks for compliment? I think...

That could never happen, Grumpy Gary, and I resent the implication!

I only drink Gin!  :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 09:30:53 AM »

Just teasing......that looked like a great time! Lots of 'happy' going on there and looked like some great memories were made.

Did someone say vicodin?    :hat