Author Topic: 2014-04-04 - The Fillmore - Detroit, MI  (Read 7743 times)

Offline Cable

Re: 2014-04-04 - The Fillmore - Detroit, MI
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2014, 11:09:24 AM »
So who is going?

My wife and I will be there. Excited for evening with, she had major issues with The Crimson Projeckt last year.

Major issues with Crimson ProJect?
---

Offline Thomas Pasieka

• I create visuals for Dream Theater
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2014, 11:25:03 AM »
Hey there guys. It really was a great night yesterday! Loved the show and everything around it. Took a few pictures which you can find on my blog here:

https://thomaspasieka.wordpress.com/2014/04/05/dream-theater-the-fillmore-detroit-2014/

Thomas Pasieka

Offline gibbs1245

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2014, 11:28:20 AM »
Had my ticket signed by everybody. Did you see that obnoxious drunk asshole back there? He kept on coming back.
“I am not religious, more like a thinking, open-minded individual. Religions and their dogmas are not necessarily bad. Human beings interpreting them are.”
― Tuomas Holopainen

Offline Blazinarps

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2014, 11:29:15 AM »
So who is going?

My wife and I will be there. Excited for evening with, she had major issues with The Crimson Projeckt last year.

Major issues with Crimson ProJect?

Yes, she said they "crushed her soul".

So to review this concert, it was amazing. The best DT concert I have ever seen.

Meeting JP before hand was amazing, I had done the meet and greet in 2011 in Royal Oak, but this was way cooler, and it was free.

Got to Hockeytown Cafe and had dinner, and left there about 7:05.

Went to get in line, which should have been just a few minute process, and the line was like 3 blocks long for guys? I waited for a few minutes, and my wife called me. They wouldn't let her in with her camera. I had to go meet back up with her and take the camera back to the car in the parking garage adjacent to Hockeytown Cafe.

Went back to the line, which was even longer, and waited for 40 minutes in the cold rain. That sucked horribly.

Got in, got to our seats, which were awesome and waited.

I thought the intro video was cool, but the music was a little on the low side. I wear earplugs to concerts, and I could barely hear it.

Once the band kicked in with Enemy, the music volume was all good, although I thought JP was a little low in the mix, for the first time ever.

I liked The Shattered Fortress live, although I don't remember the keyboard solos going on forever in the cd version.

OtBoA was decent, but I've heard the song a million times, and have seen it live 3x now. I get that it's going to be a staple of live shows, and I like it, but I would have preferred something else from ADToE.

My wife love(s)d Along for the Ride live, and was the highlight of the concert for her. I thought it was great too.

BAI was sweet, my wife sang along to that one lol.

Enigma Machine was cool too even though I don't really like it, and I had heard JP play it once already yesterday. I liked the drum solo.

On to the meat and potatoes, the Awake tribute was amazing. Absolutely perfect.

I was most looking forward to Space Dye Vest and Illumination Theory.

The mood in the room for SDV was amazing, although I don't get why people were clapping on the beat in the beginning? If there's any song you shouldn't clap along to, it's SDV. Perfect performance of the song though, for sure. It gave me chills that were multiplying.

Illumination Theory SLLLLLLLLLLAYYYYYYYYYEDDDDDDDD.

Thomas, the video was amazing in person, even better than on YT.

Disappointed James didn't go for the high note in "salvation", but he sang so well the whole night.

Scenes tribute was amazing too, everything was golden.

I can remember practicing the first solo in 1928 1000's of times as a child, and learning about great phrasing from that solo. It was great to see it live.

During Finally Free, when Jordan does his solo at the beginning with the strings, the last bass note hit me so unbelievably hard, it was so powerful, did anyone else feel that the way I did? It was like no bass note I have ever felt before.

All in all, it was an amazing amazing day of Dream Theater, I couldn't have possibly asked for anything else to improve on the experience.

11/10.

Actually, 19/16.

Offline Thomas Pasieka

• I create visuals for Dream Theater
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2014, 12:28:57 PM »

Illumination Theory SLLLLLLLLLLAYYYYYYYYYEDDDDDDDD.

Thomas, the video was amazing in person, even better than on YT.

Disappointed James didn't go for the high note in "salvation", but he sang so well the whole night.

Scenes tribute was amazing too, everything was golden.

I can remember practicing the first solo in 1928 1000's of times as a child, and learning about great phrasing from that solo. It was great to see it live.

During Finally Free, when Jordan does his solo at the beginning with the strings, the last bass note hit me so unbelievably hard, it was so powerful, did anyone else feel that the way I did? It was like no bass note I have ever felt before.

All in all, it was an amazing amazing day of Dream Theater, I couldn't have possibly asked for anything else to improve on the experience.

11/10.

Actually, 19/16.

Thank you so much mate! Indeed, you really get the most out of it by actually seeing it live with your own eyes/ears! The place was packed out and I had a blast watching people having a great time!

Offline Cable

« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2014, 01:52:54 PM »
Had my ticket signed by everybody. Did you see that obnoxious drunk asshole back there? He kept on coming back.

Was he older, balding with glasses?
---

Offline purpleplanet10

« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2014, 01:59:23 PM »
just woke up from, the show... man that was fantastic, I can finally check off another thing on my bucket list... finally seeing Mangini live. this is the 4 time seeing them live... wow!

Offline gibbs1245

« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2014, 04:06:57 PM »

Was he older, balding with glasses?

He was older, balding, but no glasses. He was heavier set man, completely blasted out of his mind. Approached all of us waiting for the guys to come out to sign our tickets, and just wouldn't shut the fuck up. He taunted JM as well, and was just being an overall nutcase. He finally hobbled away back into the bar.
“I am not religious, more like a thinking, open-minded individual. Religions and their dogmas are not necessarily bad. Human beings interpreting them are.”
― Tuomas Holopainen