Author Topic: 2014-04-14 - McCaw Hall - Seattle, WA  (Read 9140 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
2014-04-14 - McCaw Hall - Seattle, WA
« on: December 19, 2013, 11:29:22 AM »
Big step up from The Moore. Can't say I've ever been there. So strange to see DT listed along side ballet and the opera on the site's calendar.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Laich21DT

• I AM ERROR.
Re: 2014-04-14 - McCaw Hall - Seattle, WA
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 11:46:35 AM »
Is it a big step up from the Moore? Didn't know that. Already got my ticket. Glad I don't have to drive to Salem to see DT.
I've got a plan, it involves pulling up our bootstraps, oiling up a couple of asses, and doing a little plowing of our own...... not gay sex. -Mac, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 12:08:58 PM »
Is it a big step up from the Moore? Didn't know that.

Same here.  When I saw that they weren't at the Moore, I was kinda bummed because I assumed this was a step down.  I hope they can fill it.  The Moore is a pretty nice theater.  I haven't been there since the Queensryche Live Evolution shows, but it's a pretty nice hall for shows.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 12:12:31 PM »
I was thinking in terms of capacity, and since McCaw hosts the Seattle Opera and PNW Ballet (culture, ya know!) By all accounts, it is a beautiful place. Don't get me wrong, I love The Moore. So maybe just different, not an upgrade.

And no way I would have driven to Salem.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bondrkm

• And still the orchestra plays.....
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 12:19:27 PM »
I wouldn't have been able to make Salem or Vancouver, but work within walking distance of McCaw Hall!  I love the classic restored theaters like The Moore and Paramount.  McCaw Hall is nice, but doesn't have the historic feel to it.  Sound quality will be amazing.  Very excited for the "an evening with" format.

Offline Laich21DT

• I AM ERROR.
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 12:58:52 PM »
McCaw Hall certainly has more prestige than the Moore. But since DT have played the Moore so many times, it almost seems like that's where they belong.

Meet-up at McMenamin's?
I've got a plan, it involves pulling up our bootstraps, oiling up a couple of asses, and doing a little plowing of our own...... not gay sex. -Mac, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 01:09:37 PM »
I thought that too. Last tour they were slotted to play at Showbox Sodo but (thankfully) got moved to The Moore.

We'll discuss meeting as we get closer.

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 03:25:30 AM »
lol I didn't even see this forum. Anyway I posted this in the regular DT forum and was surprised to get no replies.

Just bought my tickets for Seattle's leg of the tour! Every time they tour I cross my fingers to see a Hawaii leg, but it never happens. So I said to hell with it, and decided to fly to the mainland to watch one of my favorite bands of all time. Me and the wife are going for 5 days and make a vacation out of it. This will be my first time in Seattle so any pointers will be much appreciated!

Got decent seats too! And for 55 bucks, a killer deal!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 01:58:31 PM »
You do the reverse vacation we usually take, as my wife has family in HI. There are not a lot of SEA members here but there are a few. McCaw is in a good spot: far away from downtown to not have to deal with the usual downtown crap, but close enough to be able to stay nearby and do tourist-y things without blowing up your bank account.

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 04:03:57 PM »
You do the reverse vacation we usually take, as my wife has family in HI. There are not a lot of SEA members here but there are a few. McCaw is in a good spot: far away from downtown to not have to deal with the usual downtown crap, but close enough to be able to stay nearby and do tourist-y things without blowing up your bank account.

Yeah we're doing touristy stuff, I'm getting the city pass that's for sure. My wife has been in Seattle before, and she wants us to relocate there. Hawaii is great, but too expensive to live here. We're planning to stay in a hotel right across the street from the hall, I can't wait!

Offline bondrkm

• And still the orchestra plays.....
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 01:06:56 PM »
Has any of you guys received your tickets in the mail yet? I understand the email say's up to 14 days before the event, but sometimes they are sent out sooner.

Offline Dirty30

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 09:30:52 PM »
Mine were waiting in my mailbox about two weeks ago.   Now they're in my grubby little hands.  :metal

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2014, 08:08:25 PM »
When did you order yours? I ordered mine on dec 20 and have yet to get them in the mail. I'll reach Seattle on the 10 and leaving on the 16th. Staying at the Maxwell. I wanna check out the local music scene so some pointers will be welcomed. :)

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2014, 11:24:02 PM »
Bump! A bit over two more weeks!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2014, 05:03:06 PM »
Anyone meeting up prior to this show?

Offline Milzinga

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2014, 12:24:24 PM »
Anyone meeting up prior to this show?

I'd be up for it. Although since I have the VIP meet n greet I don't know when that'll be.

Offline Milzinga

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2014, 12:25:41 PM »
When did you order yours? I ordered mine on dec 20 and have yet to get them in the mail. I'll reach Seattle on the 10 and leaving on the 16th. Staying at the Maxwell. I wanna check out the local music scene so some pointers will be welcomed. :)

What are you thinking? Seattle is great and there's a ton of stuff to do

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2014, 01:29:23 PM »

What are you thinking? Seattle is great and there's a ton of stuff to do

Haha my wife pretty much planned everything out. All I have to do is show up!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2014, 05:16:36 PM »

Pretty much sums up everyone's marriage, my friend.  :biggrin:

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2014, 08:24:41 PM »

Pretty much sums up everyone's marriage, my friend.  :biggrin:

Haha she's a planner and I'm more of a planner as long as it's less than 5 minutes ahead lol!

Changing subject a bit, about your sig, I've read a few of DeMille's books as well (Charm School being my favorite) but Up Country is one of those I haven't read yet. You think it would be a good read while I endure the 6 hour flight from Honolulu to Seattle?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2014, 10:16:02 AM »
Up Country is a bit of a change compared to books like Charm School (I need to read that again). It has very little action, in the DeMille sense. It is more of a personal journey story. Once I realized that, I found it very enjoyable. But I have liked all his books. If you want more, send me a PM.

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2014, 08:14:59 PM »
So anyone down to meet up at Solo before the show?

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2014, 07:08:59 PM »
Man am I the only one all pumped up for this? Hour and half left til the show starts!

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2014, 01:39:40 AM »

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2014, 03:30:12 PM »
What an incredible show last night!! :eek   Never been to the mccaw hall before and that was nearly a perfect venue for DT, good acoustics. It almost had a small stadium feel to it soundwise with a very high ceiling. Had 2nd row center balcony seats unobstructed view. This is the best DT show I've ever seen and one of my favorite concerts of all time. It's just mind blowing seeing John Petrucci play guitar like that, I've never seen anything like it and his tone is to live for! James labrie gave the best vocal performance I've ever seen anyone do live. I am amazed at how someone can sing at that level night after night and pull off 3 hr shows, really?!?!  Mike M, Jordan and John M were all spot on and it was nice to hear the bass nice and present in the mix (Myung Rocked it).  The drum sound was very distinct, especially the Toms and snare and overhead. The kick drums nice and punchy as well!
      What a treat it was to see and hear maybe the best band in the world up close. It's hard to get over the musicianship and energy of the band. The high lights for me were "Breaking All Illusions" and "Illumination Theory" I've never witnessed something so spectacular.. The Awake and Scenes material was unforgettable and epic!! And James LB, I'm glad you got to go up the Space needle ;)
      another thing I almost forgot to mention was the Light show was Fan-freaking-tastic!!!! Bravo..
The only bummer thing about the experience was the friend I came with. We drove 2 hours in his rig to Bainbridge island and parked there and walked on to the ferry and caught a cab to the venue.
He had a few too many drinks before the show and burned out after the first set and copped a tude and said it was too loud. he went out to have a smoke and said he'd meet me back at our seats. he never came back and he was nowhere to be found after the show, and believe me, I searched the Venue inside and out for at least an hour after the show, notta! I caght a cab back to the Seattle Bainbridge Ferry hoping he was waiting at the terminal, notta! So I caught the 12:15 ferry hoping he was waiting for me in his car on bainbrige island and he wasn't there but his vehicle was. Luckily I ran into a friend I  knew from long ago that went and seen VOLBEAT at another venue and he gave me a ride back to Sequim. I had no Idea what happened to my friend that bailed on me but I left a note on his car saying I caught a ride home with a another friend. He finally called me today and told me he went to a pub after DT's first set and walked the streets of seattle and got lost. He caught the 6am ferry back across the water. I told Him I'm glad he's ok but will never go to another concert with him again (what a wet blanket douche!) >:(
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 03:50:15 PM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2014, 04:43:15 PM »
1) Glad you enjoyed the show.  Sounds like your thoughts are identical to mine from Chicago.

2) Your friend is an asshole. 

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2014, 05:35:15 PM »
What an incredible show last night!! :eek   Never been to the mccaw hall before and that was nearly a perfect venue for DT, good acoustics. It almost had a small stadium feel to it soundwise with a very high ceiling. Had 2nd row center balcony seats unobstructed view. This is the best DT show I've ever seen and one of my favorite concerts of all time. It's just mind blowing seeing John Petrucci play guitar like that, I've never seen anything like it and his tone is to live for! James labrie gave the best vocal performance I've ever seen anyone do live. I am amazed at how someone can sing at that level night after night and pull off 3 hr shows, really?!?!  Mike M, Jordan and John M were all spot on and it was nice to hear the bass nice and present in the mix (Myung Rocked it).  The drum sound was very distinct, especially the Toms and snare and overhead. The kick drums nice and punchy as well!
      What a treat it was to see and hear maybe the best band in the world up close. It's hard to get over the musicianship and energy of the band. The high lights for me were "Breaking All Illusions" and "Illumination Theory" I've never witnessed something so spectacular.. The Awake and Scenes material was unforgettable and epic!! And James LB, I'm glad you got to go up the Space needle ;)
      another thing I almost forgot to mention was the Light show was Fan-freaking-tastic!!!! Bravo..
The only bummer thing about the experience was the friend I came with. We drove 2 hours in his rig to Bainbridge island and parked there and walked on to the ferry and caught a cab to the venue.
He had a few too many drinks before the show and burned out after the first set and copped a tude and said it was too loud. he went out to have a smoke and said he'd meet me back at our seats. he never came back and he was nowhere to be found after the show, and believe me, I searched the Venue inside and out for at least an hour after the show, notta! I caght a cab back to the Seattle Bainbridge Ferry hoping he was waiting at the terminal, notta! So I caught the 12:15 ferry hoping he was waiting for me in his car on bainbrige island and he wasn't there but his vehicle was. Luckily I ran into a friend I  knew from long ago that went and seen VOLBEAT at another venue and he gave me a ride back to Sequim. I had no Idea what happened to my friend that bailed on me but I left a note on his car saying I caught a ride home with a another friend. He finally called me today and told me he went to a pub after DT's first set and walked the streets of seattle and got lost. He caught the 6am ferry back across the water. I told Him I'm glad he's ok but will never go to another concert with him again (what a wet blanket douche!) >:(

Agree in just about everything you said. The first half was a tad bit loud, the PA was overloading a few times. They did bring it a bit down after the intermission and the sound was much better.

Here's another clip of The Mirror and Lie. :)

https://youtu.be/NgB8XObeBIo

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2014, 10:56:47 PM »
My dad can't stop laughing at the randomness of having Jim Backus as a guest  :lol
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2014, 11:33:03 PM »
1) Glad you enjoyed the show.  Sounds like your thoughts are identical to mine from Chicago.

This.  I learned years ago to think large and hard about going to shows with friends whose main goal is to drink alcohol. 

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2014, 12:14:07 PM »

This.  I learned years ago to think large and hard about going to shows with friends whose main goal is to drink alcohol.

Yep nothing good can ever come from hanging out with a drunk.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2014, 12:27:55 PM »

Yep nothing good can ever come from hanging out with a drunk.
QFT. I still fail to understand what the point is of going to a concert and getting drunk. I'm all for having a couple of drinks to loosen up and enjoy the show, but when someone gets completely hammered and can't remember much from the concert, what's the point?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2014, 12:38:38 PM »
Exactly.  A friend and his wife (who have since separated) for years tried talking me into going to see Dave Matthews Band with them, but I always resisted because a) they both liked to drink a lot during the show, and b) they always got lawn seats, and I hate lawn seats. 

And I like DMB a lot, although their last album was a total dud, and have seen them five times over the years, but seeing them with people drinking a lot, in shitty seats, does not interest me. I know my enjoyment level would be seriously affected, especially since the husband would drink a ton cause he is not a fan (they always had an agreement: she went to Rush shows with him, and he went to DMB shows with her).

That brings up another beef of mine with concerts: fans who insist on dragging their significant others who aren't fans to shows.  It's stupid.  I had an agreement with a girlfriend of mine from a few years ago: I promised to never make her go see any of my prog or rock favorites, so long as she never tried to make me go see any of the awful country artists she liked. :lol :lol

Offline TVC 15

• I was bored before I even began
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2014, 04:40:28 PM »

That brings up another beef of mine with concerts: fans who insist on dragging their significant others who aren't fans to shows.  It's stupid.  I had an agreement with a girlfriend of mine from a few years ago: I promised to never make her go see any of my prog or rock favorites, so long as she never tried to make me go see any of the awful country artists she liked. :lol :lol

At the McCaw Hall show, I was in the same row as a dude who brought his girlfriend who obviously wasn't a fan. She was seated the whole time and eventually nodded off to sleep at the second half of the show.

A few rows in front of me, I saw another woman who was reading her e-book on her Galaxy phone all night long. It seems so unfair for only one person on that date to be having more fun.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2014, 05:02:49 PM »
I know I'm probably in the minority, and I didn't drag her to any shows, but my wife of 1.5 years has now accompanied me to see Rush twice (2011 and 2013) and DT (this year) and she's much more into both bands than previously. In fact, just yesterday she asked me something along the lines of when Rush were coming around again - completely un-prompted by me! Not to say that she'll bust out a Rush or DT album on her own, but at least she seems to enjoy them when we see them live and wouldn't be upset if I want to play one of their albums on the stereo.   :)
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2014, 08:12:25 PM »

At the McCaw Hall show, I was in the same row as a dude who brought his girlfriend who obviously wasn't a fan. She was seated the whole time and eventually nodded off to sleep at the second half of the show.

A few rows in front of me, I saw another woman who was reading her e-book on her Galaxy phone all night long. It seems so unfair for only one person on that date to be having more fun.

You can hear my wife screaming on most of the clips I took, she's definitely a hardcore fan!

Right in front of me there was a guy who brought what must've been his grandma who seemed to be at least 70 years old. I got a quick glance of her in one of my clips but I'm having issues trying to upload it. And she was standing up for most of the show!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 08:23:35 PM by 1neeto »