Author Topic: I Want To Share Something Special With My Friends Here!  (Read 1458 times)

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
I Want To Share Something Special With My Friends Here!
« on: December 18, 2013, 11:41:17 AM »
I have been around these parts for quite some time now and I want to share some of my joy today with you all!

I am completely filled with pride today to the point I have been moved to tears. (yeah that's right I'm a wuss, what cha gonna do about it!) Anyhow, I have never been able to attend my 13 year daughter Brianna's school awards before. Today being a Wednesday and not having to work I was able to attend this morning.

Brianna got 3 awards this morning! (in order of announcements)
1. A certificate of achievement in health education.
2. High Honors
3. The Pride award.

As I watched all the kids get the second honors and first honors I realized how special it is that my daughter is doing so well pulling high honors yet again. I have taken this for granted in the past but being there made it real for me today.
Lastly...

The part that brought me to tears driving home. When the last honor was announced. the prestigious "Pride Award" Pride*Respect*Initiative*Dedication*Empathy, I filled to the brim. Only a small number of students (maybe 20 out of the entire middle school) get this award. I had no clue Bri was getting it and when they announced her name I was soooo proud! She had gotten it in the past but I never realized what a honor the school considers this one to be. Its like winning best picture at the Oscars.

Anyhow, sorry to be a braggart but this morning moved me and made me realize just how blessed on am to have a daughter like Bri.
I love her so much!
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: I Want To Share Something Special With My Friends Here!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 11:47:04 AM »
 :tup
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 11:49:30 AM »
:clap:

Very happy for you Rich! You're not being a braggart at all.....just a proud Father. I guess it's a good thing your daughter takes after her mother  :lol just kidding, Those are great honors your daughter received and I'm certain she's very deserving of them. You and your wife should be very proud.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 11:55:37 AM »
Nothing could make a mother and father proud.  Congrats!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 12:41:43 PM »
Good stuff, Tick   :tup

Offline Joshin U

• On a wrecking ball to view a fashion show
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 12:47:30 PM »

I don't mean to kill the congratulatory mood here, but I think you might want to rephrase that sentence...?  :lol

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 12:54:07 PM »
Congratulations!  I remember how much those awards meant to me when I was a kid, so I actually think it's really cool of you to treat it like such a big deal.  I hope your daughter appreciates your pride.   :tup

Small font because I don't want to ruin the moment, but I have to complain about a pet peeve of mine: using the acronym 'P.R.I.D.E.' and having the 'p' stand for 'pride' is stupid and lazy.  Why not patience, peace, performance, personality, poise, positivity, principles, professionalism, or progress?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 01:42:11 PM by Jaffa »
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 01:06:09 PM »
Excellent, congrats all around!   

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 02:41:14 PM »
Congratulations!  I remember how much those awards meant to me when I was a kid, so I actually think it's really cool of you to treat it like such a big deal.  I hope your daughter appreciates your pride.   :tup

Small font because I don't want to ruin the moment, but I have to complain about a pet peeve of mine: using the acronym 'P.R.I.D.E.' and having the 'p' stand for 'pride' is stupid and lazy.  Why not patience, peace, performance, personality, poise, positivity, principles, professionalism, or progress?
I guess this made a light bulb go on for me today regarding my daughter. She set the bar so high for herself by always achieving excellence that I started to take it all for granted. But actually being able to be there for this today made me really appreciate the fact she is truly one of the best students in her school all around. Only one child per home room  got one of the pride awards and this is the second year (a separate teacher each year) chose my daughter for that award.
It just had me flying high today.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 02:56:12 PM »
Excellent! I'm sure you're very proud. And you deserve tremendous credit for that too. Congratulations!

I had a recent experience which was very similar. I attended my sons high school fall sports banquet recently. He won his schools "Mr. Football Award", which recognizes the football player that most demonstrates teamwork, good sportsmanship, integrity, work ethic, attitude, and leadership. I wasn't expecting that. Neither was he. But it surprised no one. His head coach, who is one of the top high school coaches in the state, and whose teams have been to the state playoffs more than a dozen times through the years said this; "In all of my years of coaching, I have never seen a young athlete who is more deserving of this award. I wish our entire team were more like him. For any young man from Pee Wee through Freshman football who wants to know what a high school athlete and football player should be like, act like and play like...there is no greater example than him."

Now, since he was a little dude, he is always the first kid on the practice field and the last to leave. He always sprints from drill to drill. He has more heart and integrity and drive at his age than I ever did. Now most of you know I played football through high school and later D1 in college. I had a chance to play professionally in Canada. But football as a sport was a "part" of me. Being a football player never defined me.

Since my son was very young, I have never pushed or led him into any sport. but on his own he LOVES football. There have been some hard and fast rules that I live by with watching and supporting him in any athletic interest.
1) If you start a sport, you must play until the end of the season. No quitting.
2) I always stand in the same spot -be it soccer, football, basketball, lacrosse, or baseball. That way he can know where to find me in the stands any time he needs me or needs encouragement.
3) Win or lose--the first question I ask him after every game is "Did you have fun?"
4) I have been happy for him, and will congratulate him on wins, team, and individual play...but the words "I'm proud of you" have NEVER crossed my lips when it comes to sport. Instead I'll say "I'm really happy for you." Instead, I shout "I'm proud of you!" from the highest mountain for academic achievement.

But he has always gravitated toward football. Keep in mind that football isn't really that big of a presence from my perspective in our home. You're more likely to see me talking baseball than anything else. In fact, I have coached his baseball teams for the past six years.

But an example of the type of player, athlete, and young man that he has become is this..My son notoriously has ALWAYS been the last kid out of the locker room after games and practices. This went on for years. It was a pain in the ass when you were in the parking lot waiting for him, and watching every other kid get in the car with their parents and go home. This year, I couldn't care less. He's driving now, so I don't have to wait on him anymore. Last year however, after being late to something due to his always being the last kid to leave, I got on him for it pretty hard on the car ride from school. He finally told me that the reason he was always last is because without being prompted by any of the coaches, he waits until everyone leaves and makes sure the locker room isn't too messy so the rest of his teammates don't get into trouble for it if it is.  :)

I have long told my son, no matter the endeavor...integrity matters. I wept like a baby when he won that award.

Its moments like these that make us the proudest as parents. More and more each day, I know that my son is going to be a man with a very strong sense of honor and integrity. Sounds like Bri will be alright when she grows up too. Be proud dad. And let her know it!  :metal

I am a strong advocate for an organization called All-Pro Dad. In fact I am very much involved with them at the local level where I live. I encourage Dads everywhere to get involved with this group. As fathers trying to be the best fathers (and husbands) we can be, we need all the help we can get.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, 04:47:30 PM »
Very happy for you Tick.  With the year you've had, I'm glad something this awesome came along for you.

:tup :tup
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2013, 05:07:08 PM »

I don't mean to kill the congratulatory mood here, but I think you might want to rephrase that sentence...?  :lol

More proud.  Are you happy grammar Nazi?!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2013, 05:10:38 PM »
It's funny, pride is one of the seven deadly sins and they are giving out awards for it.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2013, 05:47:21 PM »
Really Zook? Wow...you obviously don't get it.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2013, 06:02:39 PM »

I think he's just pointing out the irony of it, not that it's wrong.  Like giving out an award for Love, Understanding, Support and Trust.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2013, 06:10:13 PM »

I think he's just pointing out the irony of it, not that it's wrong.  Like giving out an award for Love, Understanding, Support and Trust.

Exactly. I just find it funny that in the christian ruled USA, you'd think pride awards wouldn't exist. I mean, the whole point of pride being a sin is because you're supposed to give god all the credit right?

But this isn't about that. Congrats to your child, Ronald.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2013, 06:22:45 PM »
I get what your saying but I believe the type of sinful pride is one of self righteous pride. School and community pride is acceptable in the Christian world I think.  :)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2013, 08:23:04 PM »
I get what your saying but I believe the type of sinful pride is one of self righteous pride. School and community pride is acceptable in the Christian world I think.  :)

As a Christian I always thought it meant I couldn't join a Pride of Lions. And we have a local Pride of Lions I'd love to join but I'm bound by my faith not to. It sucks to because I'm really sneaky and quiet and I bathe by licking myself so I'd fit right in.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2013, 05:37:35 AM »
Excellent! I'm sure you're very proud. And you deserve tremendous credit for that too. Congratulations!

I had a recent experience which was very similar. I attended my sons high school fall sports banquet recently. He won his schools "Mr. Football Award", which recognizes the football player that most demonstrates teamwork, good sportsmanship, integrity, work ethic, attitude, and leadership. I wasn't expecting that. Neither was he. But it surprised no one. His head coach, who is one of the top high school coaches in the state, and whose teams have been to the state playoffs more than a dozen times through the years said this; "In all of my years of coaching, I have never seen a young athlete who is more deserving of this award. I wish our entire team were more like him. For any young man from Pee Wee through Freshman football who wants to know what a high school athlete and football player should be like, act like and play like...there is no greater example than him."

Now, since he was a little dude, he is always the first kid on the practice field and the last to leave. He always sprints from drill to drill. He has more heart and integrity and drive at his age than I ever did. Now most of you know I played football through high school and later D1 in college. I had a chance to play professionally in Canada. But football as a sport was a "part" of me. Being a football player never defined me.

Since my son was very young, I have never pushed or led him into any sport. but on his own he LOVES football. There have been some hard and fast rules that I live by with watching and supporting him in any athletic interest.
1) If you start a sport, you must play until the end of the season. No quitting.
2) I always stand in the same spot -be it soccer, football, basketball, lacrosse, or baseball. That way he can know where to find me in the stands any time he needs me or needs encouragement.
3) Win or lose--the first question I ask him after every game is "Did you have fun?"
4) I have been happy for him, and will congratulate him on wins, team, and individual play...but the words "I'm proud of you" have NEVER crossed my lips when it comes to sport. Instead I'll say "I'm really happy for you." Instead, I shout "I'm proud of you!" from the highest mountain for academic achievement.

But he has always gravitated toward football. Keep in mind that football isn't really that big of a presence from my perspective in our home. You're more likely to see me talking baseball than anything else. In fact, I have coached his baseball teams for the past six years.

But an example of the type of player, athlete, and young man that he has become is this..My son notoriously has ALWAYS been the last kid out of the locker room after games and practices. This went on for years. It was a pain in the ass when you were in the parking lot waiting for him, and watching every other kid get in the car with their parents and go home. This year, I couldn't care less. He's driving now, so I don't have to wait on him anymore. Last year however, after being late to something due to his always being the last kid to leave, I got on him for it pretty hard on the car ride from school. He finally told me that the reason he was always last is because without being prompted by any of the coaches, he waits until everyone leaves and makes sure the locker room isn't too messy so the rest of his teammates don't get into trouble for it if it is.  :)

I have long told my son, no matter the endeavor...integrity matters. I wept like a baby when he won that award.

Its moments like these that make us the proudest as parents. More and more each day, I know that my son is going to be a man with a very strong sense of honor and integrity. Sounds like Bri will be alright when she grows up too. Be proud dad. And let her know it!  :metal

I am a strong advocate for an organization called All-Pro Dad. In fact I am very much involved with them at the local level where I live. I encourage Dads everywhere to get involved with this group. As fathers trying to be the best fathers (and husbands) we can be, we need all the help we can get.
Awesome TV! Thank you for sharing! Our children are what give life more meaning that anything else, imho!

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2013, 05:50:03 AM »
A comment about The Pride Award discussion...

Pride Award -  Pride*Respect*Initiative*Dedication*Empathy

This is what the award means. All tremendous qualities. How can I not feel good that my daughter has been part of a select few to receive it 2 years in a row by 2 different teachers?

I was such a mess of a kid at my daughters age. I grew up in EXTREME dysfunction. I carry scars from it. I know I'm not alone. Many people have rough childhoods.

I am just so happy I have created safe environment in my home that my daughter has been able to thrive in. It helps me greatly come to terms with my past by providing my daughter a peace in the home that I never had.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2013, 01:08:38 PM »

As a Christian I always thought it meant I couldn't join a Pride of Lions. And we have a local Pride of Lions I'd love to join but I'm bound by my faith not to. It sucks to because I'm really sneaky and quiet and I bathe by licking myself so I'd fit right in.

:clap: