Author Topic: 2014-03-28 - Hammerstein Ballroom - New York City, NY  (Read 20259 times)

Offline Zyzzyva17

Re: 2014-03-28 - Hammerstein Ballroom - New York City, NY
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2014, 05:19:45 PM »
GA for me. I'd rather stand and take the pain and be close to the band.  :metal

To really feel the joy of a DT concert,
You must suffer through the pain of GA.
D - D/F# - G - D - Bm - Bm/A - E/G# - A

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2014, 05:49:32 PM »
Unless you have knee issues or similar, I didn't think standing for 3 hours was that bad and I'm overweight.

Offline DTFan0789

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2014, 07:43:54 PM »

To really feel the joy of a DT concert,
You must suffer through the pain of GA.

Until you struggle through GA,
You'll never know they're playing live.
"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." - George Orwell, 1984

Offline Grizz

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2014, 08:28:08 PM »
I was good for about 90 minutes at the 2010 Worcester show. I was 12 at that point, and in considerably better shape then. I enjoy having an option to sit, and not having to fight for my spot.

That, and I'm like 5'3". Meanwhile my 6'2" dad is self conscious of blocking others' view.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2014, 12:33:18 PM »
I got GA, but I was planning on arriving to the venue early anyway. I stood for 2+ hours for Steven Wilson the last two times he played in NYC (and I stood for 2 more hours after the show just to say hello to him backstage last year) so I think I can handle standing for 3+ hours for DT.   :metal

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2014, 05:38:49 AM »
To be able to smell there after shave?
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2014, 05:50:32 AM »
As for standing for 3+ hours...
Can I do it? Absolutely! I stood for over 3 hours for Transatlantic in 08. Its not about the standing. Its about having no space and being so crammed in the heard. It was ridiculous for the NYC show. Too many people and you had zero personal space at all! That's what bothers me, not standing in general. If I can have just a bit of space to move I can stand for several hours with no isssues.

For this show I am going with a novice fan and I want him to have a great experience...dinner, drinks, and a killer show relaxing in an awesome seat!

Transatlantic at the Grammercy in NYC was so packed on the floor you could barely move a muscle. That is the thing I just don't dig.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2014, 07:09:02 AM »
Yea I'm not big on being squeezed next to a big sweaty dude, but the last GA DT show I went to I was very close and wasn't even touching anyone. I'm going to sit at the red bank show and relax and enjoy, for NYC I plan on having a few drinks and getting into the music.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2014, 11:41:23 AM »
Yea I'm not big on being squeezed next to a big sweaty dude, but the last GA DT show I went to I was very close and wasn't even touching anyone. I'm going to sit at the red bank show and relax and enjoy, for NYC I plan on having a few drinks and getting into the music.
I have no doubt you will have a great time! :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2014, 03:26:02 PM »
I have no doubt you will have a great time! :metal

As will you!  :metal

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2014, 08:56:50 AM »

Pretty much my plan too  :metal

Offline sebasn777

« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2014, 04:52:39 PM »
Hey Guys,

I'm trying to sell 2 tickets for this show. I posted in the selling tickets thread. If anyone is interested let me know. I can't go anymore and I am already going to the Count Basie Show in NJ.

seats are in the upper balcony.

Offline Zyzzyva17

« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2014, 07:24:48 PM »
Got my tickets today! Funny thing about this tour: I go to college in Boston, and the Boston show, the DVD show, turns out to be during spring break. At least this concert is also during spring break, so I still get to see them. My friend, who lives in western US, isn't so fortunate.
D - D/F# - G - D - Bm - Bm/A - E/G# - A

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2014, 12:32:39 PM »
I'll be at a watering hole nearby around 5. Hope some peeps are looking to have a couple pops!
2 weeks from today! :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2014, 05:32:21 PM »
I told my boss at my new job before I started I need to be around at the end of the month and therefore DT has saved me from having to do a business trip to the Netherlands.

Offline (nothing)

« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2014, 09:11:17 PM »
I'm in NYC for work-related training so I'll be there too, will be my 3rd time seeing them. I saw them twice in 2011 (Athens, Greece in August, Montreal in October)! It's funny how it played out... if anyone told me back in 2007 (when I started listening to the band, I was still in high school in Athens) I'd see them in NYC 6 years down the road I'd be like "Wtf are you talking about?".  :lol

I'll be among those suffering in GA as well.  ;D

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2014, 09:29:32 AM »
One week  :metal
I can't wait for this show! Work is stressing out out, and I need a nice evening of kick ass music! :metal

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2014, 08:50:27 AM »
I can't wait for this show! Work is stressing out out, and I need a nice evening of kick ass music! :metal

I'm totally the exact same way.  :tup

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2014, 09:26:59 AM »

I'm totally the exact same way.  :tup

Hell yea, new job is kickin my butt so itll be nice to get out and enjoy some good music.

Sadly though i seemed to have hurt my ankle and would really be happier knowing I had a seat now for this concert.

Offline New Millenium

« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2014, 10:25:08 AM »
I just saw them in Toronto on opening night and then the following night in Montreal. I am heading to NYC to catch the show this Friday.

I guarantee that you guys will be blown away. An incredible show from start to finish and everything in between. They start exactly at the designated hour and finish up three hours later - on the nose.  They were all on fire. But Labrie especially brought his A game. Not sure if that was because he was playing in Canada or what....but he was flawless at both shows.

If the energy and vibe from either of those gigs is present at the Hammerstein we will all be in for a great show.  And remeber....DT always tend to play memorable shows in NYC.  :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2014, 01:09:56 PM »
I just saw them in Toronto on opening night and then the following night in Montreal. I am heading to NYC to catch the show this Friday.

I guarantee that you guys will be blown away. An incredible show from start to finish and everything in between. They start exactly at the designated hour and finish up three hours later - on the nose.  They were all on fire. But Labrie especially brought his A game. Not sure if that was because he was playing in Canada or what....but he was flawless at both shows.

If the energy and vibe from either of those gigs is present at the Hammerstein we will all be in for a great show.  And remeber....DT always tend to play memorable shows in NYC.  :metal

Thanks for the info and i expect nothing less than what you describe (and i expected it before i read this).  DT has always given me my moneys worth.

Offline DTFan0789

« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2014, 02:21:40 PM »
This will be my fourth time seeing DT (third time with Mangini). I'm fortunate enough to currently be living right in Manhattan very close to the Hammerstein, so this show will be especially special!  Friday can not get here soon enough!  :metal
"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." - George Orwell, 1984

Offline EstyMaJ

« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2014, 04:47:59 PM »
Expect to have this look on your face all night     :omg:  :hefdaddy  :omg:

Offline sebasn777

« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2014, 09:44:30 AM »
I still have two extra tickets in the 2nd balcony I'm trying to sell before the show. If anybody knows someone who wants them pm me. I'm trying to save some money as I am already going to the count basie show.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2014, 06:46:43 AM »
Is there a bar close by people will be hanging at before the show? I know ill be coming straight from work and it could possibly be clsoe enough to show time that i wont hit up a bar, but if things go as planned, ill probably stop somewhere with my friend to get a drink or two before we head in.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2014, 11:48:27 AM »
24 hours to go!!!!  Can't wait to be surrounded by fellow DT lovers.  Yes, if people pick a pre-show bar, that would be cool.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Arry

• Only the good die young...
  • There is only one Um...
« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2014, 02:47:46 PM »
There is my fave NYC bar 1/2 block away on 34th and 9th. Twins Public House. We did a giant meet up there before the Score DVD...

Offline (nothing)

« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2014, 07:42:03 PM »
I guess that people line up relatively early for their "home turf" shows huh? I'm getting off work at like 6 so I'll probably go straightaway to the venue to get the best spot I can in GA. The Ballroom looks awesome! ;D Anyone been there before or know someone who has?

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2014, 07:54:56 PM »
This concernt snuck up on me; didn' realize it was happening till a few days ago.

ANyhoo, I got my tix and will be there in GA!

Say hi and lets take a pix for DTF =D  I'll be the devilishly handsome tall Indian looking guy, glasses, black coat.  I'll probably be a bit smashed  :hat

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2014, 08:36:42 PM »
Going through a bit of Dream Theater songs right now to pump myself up for tomorrow. I've been at the Hammerstein Ballroom once before, but that was for a My Bloody Valentine concert last November so I can't tell you how the sound was cause they were playing catastrophically loud and I had earplugs on (will probably wear earplugs tomorrow as well) :lol I'll probably be hanging around the venue area starting around 4ish (yeah, call me crazy, but I really want to get close to the barrier as possible next to the VIP peeps). If you see a short Asian dude with short messy hair, that's me. ;D

Offline DTFan0789

« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2014, 08:17:20 AM »
What time are all of you GA people planning on lining up?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2014, 08:50:09 AM »
If the doors are at 7, what time does DT start playing?

I am hopefully arriving at Penn Station around 5:30-6, but will be meeting my friend for food and drinks and then will head over.  I want to get close, but I dont feel a need to line up really early to get close.  Maybe my friend will want to and we will, but Id rather hang in the bar and get happy because this work week has been so insane that I can use a lot of drinks tonight.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2014, 09:43:56 AM »
Can't wait to be among my people tonight!!!  DT in NYC!!!
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2014, 10:23:38 PM »
Just got back from the Hammerstein show in NYC and all I can say is that it was probably the best DT concert I've seen since 2004! They were simply on fire and on point! I was pleasantly surprised (shocked actually) at how phenomenal James sounded and how well he worked the crowd. This was the first time since I started seeing DT in '96 where Ican actually say they HAVE a frontman! Great job by James (aside from forgetting lyrics in Lie)  :loser: :facepalm: :yarr

The staging was great, and while I honestly feel the videos did absolutely NOTHING to enhance the show, I must admit the opening video was outstanding! :hefdaddy :tup

John M, John P and Jordan were all fantastic as always and Mangini was good, but I just don't "connect" at all with his robotic and uninspiring way of playing. People argue that N Peart is "robotic" as well, but MM is NOT NP!

The only down side of the show was the mid part of Illumination Theory where everything slows down to a crawl. The band leave the stage and for 3-4 minutes, it's "let's sap the energy completely out of the crowd" time! :tdwn  >:( The energy didn't return until the very end of the song, and exploded at the beginning of the SFAM encore.

I'd give the show a solid 9.5/10 and can't wait to witness again Monday night in Red Bank.

MVP definitely goes to JLB though. He impressed the  :censored out of me tonight! :hefdaddy