Author Topic: 2014-04-19 - Orpheum Theatre - Los Angeles, CA  (Read 11702 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 2014-04-19 - Orpheum Theatre - Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #70 on: April 21, 2014, 10:17:44 AM »

•   FYI, Jordan’s keyboard tech takes over playing the last note of IL so that Jordan can don the Zen Riffer for the big finale.  Did anyone else notice that Jordan and the tech do a swap of holding the key down, then the tech stays on stage?

The last note of what?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: April 21, 2014, 10:38:35 AM »

•   FYI, Jordan’s keyboard tech takes over playing the last note of IL so that Jordan can don the Zen Riffer for the big finale.  Did anyone else notice that Jordan and the tech do a swap of holding the key down, then the tech stays on stage?

The last note of what?

The end of IT.

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2014, 11:52:22 AM »
I think that was the ending of FF not IT. Just so for the last note of the show he can be mobile along next to the other guys and hit the last note with that kind of energy. It was weird that the tech had to hold down the note though, it was like suddenly there's 6 members of DT on the last note of the show.  :P Why couldn't Jordan just program that last note to hold for a second and then fade out while they keep doing the cadenza?

Oh and that show… Well I won't even attempt to describe it.

HOLY MOTHER OF PETRUCCI THEY FREAKING PLAYED HALF OF MY FAVORITE ALBUM NOT TO MENTION ILLUMINATION THEORY AND FINALY FREE AND MY FAVORITE SINGER IS HAVING BY FAR THE BEST TOUR OF HIS LIFE AND AISJDHKWJECNOWEUFHIJNSADFUHQWIDUHWEKCJN!!!!!!

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #73 on: April 21, 2014, 12:04:43 PM »
You should find the pic of the chick that hassled you, post it and let folks here capiton it just for fun.

What a great show! I've seen Dream Theater at every visit to So. Cal. since I & W. I even saw them once at a very small place, way before that. I had a friend that worked for a recording studio. His name was Mark Windling, I lost track of him, I wish I could find him again. Anyway, his job was to go to venues and watch start up bands and report back to his boss. I didn't know who they were, but I remember that I liked them. I can't remember where we saw them, it was a long time ago. Then a couple years later I heard Pull Me Under on the radio. It got a lot of radio play back then. I was forever hooked on DT. Iv'e seen them so many times, that I can't even count them all. I have to say, I think last night was the best performance that I have ever seen from them or anybody!! They seem to be happy and at peace with MP gone.

The L.A. Brewing Company, not so great. After asking four people and waiting 30 minutes to pay my bill, and not wanting to miss the DT opening, I had enough. But, they had my card. So, I called my credit card company and told them the situation. She told me, "we'll just call it a stolen card and they won't be able to charge anything to it, just leave". So, dinner, three beers and a female UFC fight were on the LABC, and I won't be going back. I just had enough time to take a leak and get to my seat.

When planning this concert, I read some reviews on The Orpheum Theater. I read a few reviews about people who were hassled by this black chic for taking video. Well, sure enough, she shined her flashlight on me and I just shrugged my shoulders, like WTF. A few minutes later, she comes in and yanks me out for taking video. I told her that I wasn't taking video. I even showed her the pictures to prove that was taking pictures. Her supervisor came and I showed him the pictures that I had taken and I showed him that there were no vids. I told him, "this is complete BS that I'm getting hassled by her and now missing the concert, when everyone around me has their phones and their cameras up taking pictures and/or vids. I told him that I have read on the reviews that this chick or another black chick has been hassling people. He seemed surprised by that. He said, "no, it's her and we get a lot of complaints about her, it's going to be her last night here, I'm not putting up with any more complaints".

So, in the end, it was an eventful night in the big city, where I don't feel that comfortable. But, I'd do it again and again for DT! And now I have a couple thousand pictures to go through and remind me of the evening. I even got one of the black chic all pissed off. Oh, and I recorded the whole thing! Sshh, don't tell anyone.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #74 on: April 21, 2014, 02:22:23 PM »
I think that was the ending of FF not IT.

oops, yeah it was FF.  I think its cool that they don't back track or program that.   gives a more authentic live experience.  The tech did this in Riverside too, so I assume it happens at shows when Jordan wants to jam the big finale at the foot of the stage.

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #75 on: April 21, 2014, 02:37:27 PM »
 :mehlin :rollin They're already using backing tracks with like 8-part overdubbed vocals, guitar harmonies, and sound effects on every song! Clicking the "+" button on the "release time" setting isn't even a cheat!

But seriously that's the other thing, I wish they'd do more of the harmonies for real instead of having JP sing along to a track. Jordan and Mike could TOTALLY add the third or fourth parts if they worked with it a little bit.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #76 on: April 21, 2014, 02:51:46 PM »
Could have been more of an afterthought type thing so they can get together at the end for the photographer guy (dude in the Misfits shirt) could get a shot for the book their putting out?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: April 21, 2014, 08:59:24 PM »
Ok so here are my highlights from the show:

Blob's intro video

ALL THE REVISITED RIFFS IN THE SHATTERED FORTRESS!!!
"LaBriebrated"

Trail of Tears

The fact that BAI seems so much more RAWKing than it did last tour.

The crowd Woahing to the intro of OTBOA

THE MIRROR
LIE
SCARRED
SPACE FUCKING DYE VEST OMG I ALMOST CRIED

THE ENTIRE FUCKING ENCORE OMG HEADBANGING IN ODD TIME SIGS TO TDOE AND SINGING FINALLY FREE AT THE TOP OF MY LUNGS

Low points:

Along for the ride (such a boring song)
Lifting Shadows Off a Dream (always the low point on Awake for me. It was cool to physically see Myung to the intros to that and Scarred though)

The first have and the orchestral part of IT (The vid was cool though...)

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #78 on: April 30, 2014, 06:33:29 PM »
Does anyone have the link and password info for retrieving the M&G photo with the band for the Los Angeles show?  I inadvertently deleted the email sent out to Platinum VIPers.  Please PM me.  thanks!!

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: April 30, 2014, 10:20:36 PM »
PM Sent

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #80 on: May 01, 2014, 12:35:35 AM »
Got 'em, thanks Jay and all that helped!  You guys are the best!!

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #81 on: May 16, 2014, 05:47:54 PM »
Show's on dime! Hurry there, people!
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Shawn

« Reply #82 on: May 16, 2014, 08:45:14 PM »
What is dime?

Offline CharlesPL

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: May 16, 2014, 09:37:53 PM »
Is it video or audio? Im probably not going to create another Dime account after mine expired, but im interested in if its any good quality.