Author Topic: 2014-03-20 - Massey Hall - Toronto, ON  (Read 19228 times)

Offline rubenchitito

Re: 2014-03-20 - Massey Hall - Toronto, ON
« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2014, 06:04:21 PM »
First timer here..

Can anyone explain how the meet and great works? When/Where, etc. As much as you know about it. Thanks.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #71 on: March 17, 2014, 06:11:44 PM »
Never done a meet/greet with Dream Theater.  Did one with Kamelot though.  You show a couple of hours before hand (Kamelot was a 7:30 start; 6pm open for the meet/greet).  You've got some kind of ticket/confirmation, and they'll let you in early.  Can't see it working any other way really.  I just don't know what time DTs would be.  My ticket doesn't list a "doors open" time.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline dream416

• Carpe Diem
« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2014, 06:21:29 PM »
E-mailed Crowdsurge about the M&G. The itinerary should be e-mailed out tomorrow.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2014, 06:11:13 PM »
First timer here..

Can anyone explain how the meet and great works? When/Where, etc. As much as you know about it. Thanks.

There's gonna be a line up for VIP customers, specifically. Then everyone's going to be let inside (at 5 PM, according to the email they send, which I assume you got), and someone will tell us exactly how things are going to go.

Let me ask you something, did you get your ticket yet?
Because I'm having a hard time remembering whether the tickets are handed out there on the spot along with the VIP badge, or whether the tickets are sent in the mail for the VIP customers. I still haven't gotten mine and I'm kind of panicking here, but now that I think about it, I don't remember if my ticket was mailed to me last time or not.

One thing that I do know, is that they sent me a shipment confirmation at the beginning of the month, but I'm wondering if that was just a glitch and something that was sent out to everyone who purchased.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 06:19:58 PM by TheGreatPretender »
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline dtrox08

« Reply #74 on: March 19, 2014, 09:13:29 AM »
So it is tomorrow now. Who else is crazy excited? I've been waiting months for this.

Offline dream416

• Carpe Diem
« Reply #75 on: March 19, 2014, 12:34:44 PM »
Big rock show tomorrow!!!!!!. I for one cannot wait.  :metal :metal

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #76 on: March 19, 2014, 12:59:26 PM »
Can't wait for my first ever DT show!!! :metal I might not sleep tonight. :lol

Offline rubenchitito

« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2014, 01:23:04 PM »
I first heard Dream Theater in 2007, when I was 13 years old! 7 years ago! crazy I'm finally gonna see them perform live and in person!! so excited!  :metal :metal :metal

Offline johnnysuperfan

« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2014, 05:34:58 PM »
tomorrow night, can't wait, epiccc showwww  :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal ;D ;D :tup

Offline GasparXR

« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2014, 06:46:53 PM »
I first heard Dream Theater in 2007, when I was 13 years old! 7 years ago! crazy I'm finally gonna see them perform live and in person!! so excited!  :metal :metal :metal

I first got into them at the very end of 2008 when I was 14. I had so many chances to see them since then but the first one I really considered was the October 6th, 2011 show, which I never ended up going to. This really should have been my 4th show. XD

Offline animalize3

« Reply #80 on: March 19, 2014, 07:09:53 PM »
Can't wait! This'll be #4 for me!

Offline N4Player

« Reply #81 on: March 20, 2014, 01:31:25 AM »
4th time for me as well, but the first "evening with" performance. Can't sleep… I'm so excited! For all those that are going, have a great time! I know a setlist change is unlikely, but I can still hope for BTV being played. Regardless, this is going to be epic. Second row on JP's side. Can't ask for more.  :metal

Offline GasparXR

« Reply #82 on: March 20, 2014, 05:47:11 AM »
Getting ready right now to get to my bus for Toronto (leaves at 9:45 AM, about 2 hours from now). So excited! See you people there! I will be wearing my Dark Side of the Moon cap and DT12 t-shirt with light blue jeans if anyone sees me.

Offline animalize3

« Reply #83 on: March 20, 2014, 01:01:30 PM »
4th time for me as well, but the first "evening with" performance. Can't sleep… I'm so excited! For all those that are going, have a great time! I know a setlist change is unlikely, but I can still hope for BTV being played. Regardless, this is going to be epic. Second row on JP's side. Can't ask for more.  :metal
You're in for a treat then. I saw an evening with in 06 at Massey. It was fucken magical. They did a rush tune that night ... Wonder if they have anything planned for tonite?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: March 20, 2014, 01:54:58 PM »
You're in for a treat then. I saw an evening with in 06 at Massey. It was fucken magical. They did a rush tune that night ... Wonder if they have anything planned for tonite?

That was my first DT show, and they covered Jacob's Ladder.  They always did a Rush cover when in Toronto (except on the Chaos in Motion tour for some reason... they just teased Xanadu).  That was a Portnoy thing though.  I wouldn't expect anything tonight.

Just about to leave the house.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline animalize3

« Reply #85 on: March 20, 2014, 02:01:18 PM »
Yeah, that's it. Jacobs Ladder. I was thinking Bastille Day for some reason haha  :hat

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #86 on: March 20, 2014, 04:28:47 PM »
Chad, you must be dead! :lol  Enjoy the show!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #87 on: March 20, 2014, 04:47:12 PM »
Show starts in 15 minutes I think. I heard they changed The Shattered Fortress for The Glass Prison and added the last 3 DT12 songs for the NA leg.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: March 20, 2014, 05:47:54 PM »
15 mins until Blob's intro!!!

King or chef will provide updates to set list if there are any.

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #89 on: March 20, 2014, 07:10:55 PM »
15 mins until Blob's intro!!!

King or chef will provide updates to set list if there are any.

Oh it started at 8? My bad :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #90 on: March 20, 2014, 07:35:25 PM »
First set, no change.  RJ, your up!  This old fart is going to bed!

Chad wore me out last night. :eyebrows:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #91 on: March 20, 2014, 07:55:54 PM »
I mean we already know they're not changing anything they've already said it a few times but I like how we're still checking  :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #92 on: March 20, 2014, 08:33:58 PM »

First set, no change.  RJ, your up!  This old fart is going to bed!

Chad wore me out last night. :eyebrows:

*tags in*

Offline rubenchitito

« Reply #93 on: March 20, 2014, 10:02:18 PM »
That was amazing. The only thing next time I would not pay for is the meet and greet which was a flash in the pants, but the concert was off the charts.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #94 on: March 20, 2014, 10:14:52 PM »
Yep, the only update I got from jingle was that it was "the best they've sounded since Score"

So looking forward to the SF show, even more so now with all these killer reviews coming through.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: March 20, 2014, 10:18:07 PM »
That was amazing. The only thing next time I would not pay for is the meet and greet which was a flash in the pants, but the concert was off the charts.

If you gave them a flash from your pants I can understand why it didn't last long  ;D

Great to hear all the top reviews.............waiting, waiting for Aussie dates.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline johnnysuperfan

« Reply #96 on: March 21, 2014, 12:02:30 AM »
tonight was my 12th DT show, and easily the best DT show I've attended. I had a great time at the meet 'n greet, Rudess thought I was LaBrie, lol. Unreal  ;D

James LaBrie stole the show in my opinion, absolutely flawless in his vocals, he nailed the high notes spot on, especially on The Mirror, Lie, Lifting Shadows, Scarred.

Illumination Theory, seeing that live was incredible.

I got to meet some who were seeing DT for the 1st time ever, hope your evening was special & you'll keep coming back, greatest band you'll see live in concert anywhere.

Thank You Dream Theater, you guys are the best, Raaaaawwwwkkkk  :metal  :metal  :metal  :metal :tup  ;D

« Reply #97 on: March 21, 2014, 12:07:58 AM »
What an amazingly mind blowing show! It was flawless. Absolutely flawless!

Offline GasparXR

« Reply #98 on: March 21, 2014, 12:20:07 AM »
I will take time to make a better, more detailed post later on, but OMFG JAMES DID THE F IN ILLUMINATION THEORY AND FUCKING NAILED IT HOLY SHIT OMFG I HOPE THIS WAS RECORDED

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #99 on: March 21, 2014, 12:24:34 AM »
Damn, you guys are getting me way too excited. C'mon April 17th!!!!

Offline rubenchitito

« Reply #100 on: March 21, 2014, 12:31:03 AM »

I got to meet some who were seeing DT for the 1st time ever, hope your evening was special & you'll keep coming back, greatest band you'll see live in concert anywhere.

It was indeed my first show.. and not only am I coming back, but definitely sitting in the front again.

PS: I'm not sure but I think I got to meet you. If you are the short middle age man with long hair then I we talked in line for the meet & greet.

Offline johnnysuperfan

« Reply #101 on: March 21, 2014, 12:34:43 AM »

It was indeed my first show.. and not only am I coming back, but definitely sitting in the front again.

PS: I'm not sure but I think I got to meet you. If you are the short middle age man with long hair then I we talked in line for the meet & greet.

well sorta as far as long hair, lol. Awesome to meet u, glad u got ur vinyl signed, great move, enjoy it  ;D

Offline N4Player

« Reply #102 on: March 21, 2014, 02:51:03 AM »
Another amazing night. IT was the highlight and JLB blew me away in it. Love JP's new Majesty guitars and they look so much better in person. Pure lust for them now. These super humans just get better and better each time I see them. We are the luckiest fans in the world. 2 hours in the cold after the show was worth it for a quick pic w/JP and JMX. I feel so spoiled as a fan of this band. Can't come up with appropriate words yet again. Thank you DT for everything…  :hefdaddy.

« Reply #103 on: March 21, 2014, 02:57:32 AM »
Another amazing night. IT was the highlight and JLB blew me away in it. Love JP's new Majesty guitars and they look so much better in person. Pure lust for them now. These super humans just get better and better each time I see them. We are the luckiest fans in the world. 2 hours in the cold after the show was worth it for a quick pic w/JP and JMX. I feel so spoiled as a fan of this band. Can't come up with appropriate words yet again. Thank you DT for everything…  :hefdaddy.

Hey, I was out there, in the cold too. Who were you?

Offline OptionalPlayer

• Comprised of a series of ones and zeros
« Reply #104 on: March 21, 2014, 06:34:45 AM »
This was my tenth time seeing them.

Anyone else hear the HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE mistake Mangini had during Enigma Machine? I honestly thought they weren't going to recover from that. Shows what I know.

Mangini's monitor went off as he was clearly messing with his ear plugs and really "dumbed down" the song. His time sigs were off too. This was all before his drum solo. But he recovered.

This was also probably the best-sounding DT to date. The setlist, while unchanged, was blatantly fantastic. It's obvious to me why I'll continue going to see these gents play live for many more years to come.