Author Topic: 2014-03-27 - Tower Theater - Philadelphia, PA  (Read 11363 times)

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2014-03-27 - Tower Theater - Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2014, 07:44:11 AM »
Is that what they said? That's great news. I did not want to wait until after DT 13 was released.

Yes, they did say that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZazRy1_J7FE

Offline foraiur

« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2014, 08:29:56 AM »
Agreed. The sound was the best I've heard yet. The keys were prominent when they should have been, I could hear JLB right off the bat instead of a few songs into it. I had my son along, so we got 2nd row loge seats, and it was actually really nice for once to sit for the whole thing and take it all in, and the volume wasn't too bad for him at all! I have no complaints at all. And SDV was stunning. Like foraiur said, they all were in top form, but something about JLB lately...I love watching the man perform. He's really in his zone. Fantastic night!

James was really on the top of his game last night! I've never heard him sound so good live. I was a little disappointed with the meet and greet, it was REALLY rushed - you barely had time to even say hello to the guys before you got pushed along.

Something funky also happened to the mix half way through Scarred. JP's wet sound cut out for a few seconds, and after that the mix was never quite right (JP was really low in the mix).

Offline ninja1125

« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2014, 08:32:47 AM »
Something funky also happened to the mix half way through Scarred. JP's wet sound cut out for a few seconds, and after that the mix was never quite right (JP was really low in the mix).

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2014, 08:35:12 AM »

As someone who has seen a ton of DT shows at this point, I LOVED when that happened. I absolutely love Petrucci, but being able to hear Myung better for once was a nice touch.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline foraiur

« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2014, 08:44:26 AM »

As someone who has seen a ton of DT shows at this point, I LOVED when that happened. I absolutely love Petrucci, but being able to hear Myung better for once was a nice touch.

I didn't have any trouble hearing Myung all night.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
Re: Dream Theater Philadelphia Review
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2014, 10:18:00 AM »
Because it won't be seen on C/S.

To me, JLB was the MVP of the night.  He made a lot of songs really especially special.

Fix'd

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2014, 10:21:05 AM »
Because it won't be seen on C/S.

inb4 move to C/S

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2014, 10:27:21 AM »

Offline convrge

« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2014, 01:36:56 PM »
I was there and out of about ten DT concerts I've seen, this was JLB's top one or two performance. I was impressed.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2014, 01:51:19 PM »
had a great time last night! I'll be at the red bank show monday and I have meet and greet tickets if anyone wants to say hi.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
James LaBrie Appreciation Thread
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2014, 04:31:42 AM »
Let's turn this thread into JLB's appreciation thread :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iczupw5MSm4

I've never heard the man performing better than this. People go saying that he's at the top of his game, and as the owner of 500+ DT bootleg, I honestly say this is not an understatement. Nothing from 1993 up to today even comes close to his current shape.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2014, 05:19:59 AM »
That's by far the best I've heard that song sound live, although I wouldn't go as far as to say it touches his pre-vocal injury voice. But huge credit to him for sounding so much better than he did 15 years ago when the song was released! His pitch control is almost as good as ever.
Hearing JLB slaying these SFAM songs live is going to be a highlight of the upcoming DVD for me.

What was with the vocal doubling at the end? I could hear two separate JLB voices on the same line, not even a harmony. I don't know why they did that. And it was weird hearing JLB sing a line, then have his voice doing the alternating vocal while he holds the mic out to the audience. It was the main lead line that he usually sings too. I guess it was to give him a breather on those long notes.
And I didn't like what MM was doing with that outro at all. That section is designed for the drums to take the lead, but he was just doing different odd beats instead, so that section fell flat for me.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ninja1125

« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2014, 07:29:18 AM »
And I didn't like what MM was doing with that outro at all. That section is designed for the drums to take the lead, but he was just doing different odd beats instead, so that section fell flat for me.
I havn't like what he been doing either.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: James LaBrie Appreciation Thread
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2014, 09:51:13 AM »

I've never heard the man performing better than this. People go saying that he's at the top of his game, and as the owner of 500+ DT bootleg, I honestly say this is not an understatement. Nothing from 1993 up to today even comes close to his current shape.

That literally brought tears to my eyes. I'm so happy for James. Not opening a can if worms here but I stated the day that MP left, the biggest winner would be James. He was so active and happy in Boston.

I love how at the end of this video before the final "someday soon" how satisfied James looks.

I hope on DT13 he has some real room to show his range.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2014, 12:53:56 PM »

I didn't have any trouble hearing Myung all night.

that's excellent — Myung was barely audible all night in Montreal. either they're continuously tweaking his tone and mix over the tour (likely), or there was something screwy at the Bell Centre that lowered his presence. even the bass breaks (like in OTBOA, and especially TDOE) had an extremely dulled and muted presence, without even the bottom end to hold him up.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
Re: James LaBrie Appreciation Thread
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2014, 12:57:48 PM »

Wow, awesome.  So pumped for the Chicago show next week. :metal :metal

Offline convrge

« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2014, 08:28:03 PM »

I noticed this as well. From I remember, I thought his sound cut out for a minute. When it finally came back on, he was very low in the mix. I think he got slightly raised but it never seemed as loud as before.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2014, 02:27:17 AM »

Haha, this was my reaction to the above comment too.  Lucky for you.  How I wished JP was lower in the mix in Boston.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2014, 09:34:40 PM »

Offline foraiur

« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2014, 09:50:14 AM »
He got some wonderful shots! I'm pretty sure he was the one right in front of me taking pictures. Pretty cool!