Author Topic: 2014-03-25 - Opera House - Boston, MA  (Read 65513 times)

Offline Grizz

Re: 2014-03-25 - Opera House - Boston, MA
« Reply #315 on: March 27, 2014, 12:33:47 PM »
+1 for Blob's vids
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #316 on: March 27, 2014, 12:51:50 PM »
I actually thought the Cube thingies were pretty cool as it was a nice departure from what they had done before.

Cube things were different, they were stylish, and they were also completely horrible to watch videos on. Cool concept, just didn't work well I thought.

For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Grizz

« Reply #317 on: March 27, 2014, 02:05:14 PM »
I liked the primary plus dual secondary screen concept they used in the past.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline haceeb

• When you surrender to the light, You can face the darkest days
  • I am bent, not broken
« Reply #318 on: March 27, 2014, 03:24:36 PM »
I knew it's gonna be perfect.... :tup

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #319 on: March 27, 2014, 03:58:17 PM »
I actually thought the Cube thingies were pretty cool as it was a nice departure from what they had done before.

Cube things were different, they were stylish, and they were also completely horrible to watch videos on. Cool concept, just didn't work well I thought.
This 1000%.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #320 on: March 27, 2014, 09:50:39 PM »
The new screen is 10 times better than the cube screens.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline EstyMaJ

« Reply #321 on: March 28, 2014, 05:04:12 AM »
Glad I got too see a couple of great moments over again till youtube took em off thanks to all posted those I'm still talking about this show to whoever will listen feels like the old days lol!!!!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #322 on: March 28, 2014, 05:46:41 AM »
I wasnt crazy about the cubes either, but they were cool for a tour.  Something different and gave the set some personality.  But yea, Im good with one and done with the cubes.

I have really tried not to watch videos or see pics from this tour so i dont spoil myself withe how the set looks and the videos for the songs... but i did see the screen they are using and it looks very big and nice.  Im pumped to finally see them tonight and then again on monday.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #323 on: March 28, 2014, 09:14:01 AM »
Some of the closeups are stunning on the big screen. JP has a GoPro mounted on his mic boom stand, that allows for some really cool solo closeups.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #324 on: March 29, 2014, 08:32:37 PM »
I wasnt crazy about the cubes either, but they were cool for a tour.  Something different and gave the set some personality.  But yea, Im good with one and done with the cubes.

I agree completely. 

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #325 on: March 31, 2014, 02:22:46 AM »

I agree 100%.

I agree 50%.

Blob, which videos did you work on this tour?  Which songs?  [Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere here]

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #326 on: March 31, 2014, 03:11:43 AM »
Blob, which videos did you work on this tour?  Which songs?  [Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere here]

I did the False Awakening intro video + the taxi videos (intros to DT12 songs + Along For The Ride)
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #327 on: March 31, 2014, 07:19:27 AM »

I did the False Awakening intro video + the taxi videos (intros to DT12 songs + Along For The Ride)

He also made a tape on procrastination but that another video all together. :biggrin:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #328 on: March 31, 2014, 07:53:04 AM »

He also made a tape on procrastination but that another video all together. :biggrin:

Nah, I never finished making that one. :neverusethis:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #329 on: April 01, 2014, 02:02:12 PM »
very cool, Blob!  Well done, indeed.

Further reflections on the show:  I was surprised by how well "Looking Glass" works in a live setting.  Not my fave track on the album, but it really grabbed me live.  So enjoyable to watch the tight live performance of DT firing on all levels.

Also, I can not emphasize enough how much Space Dye Vest added to the setlist, truly a highlight of the tour.  It really infused the evening with so much emotion.  Its slow tempo is a tangible dynamic that stands out in the high energy show that is Dream Theater.  It really gave the setlist room to breathe and grow.

I would urge DT to consider playing Anna Lee and Wither in future setlists to capture this same dynamic.  I think they will create a positive and powerful reaction in most cities.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #330 on: April 01, 2014, 02:19:00 PM »
I would urge DT to consider playing Anna Lee and Wither in future setlists to capture this same dynamic.  I think they will create a positive and powerful reaction in most cities.

Anna Lee please.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #331 on: April 01, 2014, 02:33:55 PM »

Anna Lee please.

I bet the 2nd run through may also have a unplayed gem. It would make sense.

And yes, Knife, Space Dye Vest was a stunning moment in the concert.

I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed The Shattered Fortress live 
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #332 on: April 01, 2014, 02:52:18 PM »
I think the setlist as a whole worked really well.  I mean sure its heavy on three albums, but the flow and song choices worked well IMO and still gave a good sense of the overall feel of what DT sounds like.  And yes, SDV worked really well in the set and I was a bit surprised as to how good it was live and the Petrucci spot at the end was really powerfull.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #333 on: April 02, 2014, 03:57:24 AM »

Anna Lee please.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #334 on: April 03, 2014, 11:27:34 AM »
BTW, I had forgotten what a sausage fest DT concerts are. Holy crap :lol

That's interesting, because according to Mangini a LOT more girls are showing up. Maybe only in Europe though, they obviously have better taste in music over there judging by the turnouts at metal festivals.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #335 on: April 03, 2014, 11:39:02 AM »
Just got home, still have unpacking to do, but let me post my quick thoughts.

Performance and setlist wise this was an AWESOME Dream Theater show. However it was a terrible special event, and the sound had major issues. Starting in the first set JP was WAY too loud, and the whole band in general was a bit too loud. Come the 2nd set the choir was BARELY heard at times, and the strings were non-existent. In the end, this was nothing more than a Dream Theater show with some more people to look at. And how they utilized the strings... dreadful. Instead of having them play parts of songs from Lifting Shadows forward, they had them (I believe, again, couldn't hear them) play all/most parts on everything from Illumination Theory on. It would have been especially good if they had switched out Mirror/Lie for Trial of Tears or Breaking All Illusions to make even further use of the strings. There are pros and cons of Mike being out of the band, a con being they likely wouldn't play Space Dye-Vest, but a pro being I am sure he would have made much better use of this opportunity.

That aside, everyone sounded great, with James sounding near the absolute top of his game again. Had this been a local show I would have been more than pleased, but as someone who traveled a good distance for a special event, I'm definitely a little disappointed.

Oh man not again  :facepalm:. It would be nice for once if the next DVD had a nice balance of all instruments. Someone besides JP needs to be in charge of the sound editing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #336 on: April 03, 2014, 11:41:07 AM »
BTW, I had forgotten what a sausage fest DT concerts are. Holy crap :lol

That's interesting, because according to Mangini a LOT more girls are showing up. Maybe only in Europe though, they obviously have better taste in music over there judging by the turnouts at metal festivals.

There was a significant amount of females at the NYC show. Very surprising to me.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #337 on: April 03, 2014, 01:10:51 PM »
My dad jokingly pointed to the stage-left choir and said "That's the highest concentration of females at any DT show."

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #338 on: April 04, 2014, 12:05:10 AM »

Performance and setlist wise this was an AWESOME Dream Theater show. However it was a terrible special event, and the sound had major issues. Starting in the first set JP was WAY too loud, and the whole band in general was a bit too loud. Come the 2nd set the choir was BARELY heard at times, and the strings were non-existent. In the end, this was nothing more than a Dream Theater show with some more people to look at. And how they utilized the strings... dreadful. Instead of having them play parts of songs from Lifting Shadows forward, they had them (I believe, again, couldn't hear them) play all/most parts on everything from Illumination Theory on. It would have been especially good if they had switched out Mirror/Lie for Trial of Tears or Breaking All Illusions to make even further use of the strings. There are pros and cons of Mike being out of the band, a con being they likely wouldn't play Space Dye-Vest, but a pro being I am sure he would have made much better use of this opportunity.

That aside, everyone sounded great, with James sounding near the absolute top of his game again. Had this been a local show I would have been more than pleased, but as someone who traveled a good distance for a special event, I'm definitely a little disappointed.

Oh man not again  :facepalm:. It would be nice for once if the next DVD had a nice balance of all instruments. Someone besides JP needs to be in charge of the sound editing.
The live mix has nothing to do with the DVD mix.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #339 on: April 04, 2014, 07:13:54 AM »

The live mix has nothing to do with the DVD mix.

OK, but I'm noticing a trend. If DT believes in "WWRD", they would know Alex Lifeson would never be so loud so as to drown out Neil and Geddy.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #340 on: April 04, 2014, 01:44:24 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XySOEOic6_c

Little snippet of DT and Berklee folks practicing TDOE.  Really cool, cant wait to see this DVD.

Offline Octavarious

• Scenes from a Mesmerism
« Reply #341 on: April 11, 2014, 04:27:12 PM »
Oh, by the way, how long would you expect we would have to wait for the BR & stuff?
End of Summer?
Or directly for XMas?
From Rome, with love.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #342 on: April 11, 2014, 04:32:57 PM »
Oh, by the way, how long would you expect we would have to wait for the BR & stuff?
End of Summer?
Or directly for XMas?
James said in Philly that they were looking at sometime in August.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #343 on: April 11, 2014, 10:29:43 PM »
It'll come out along side DT13
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Grizz

« Reply #344 on: April 12, 2014, 10:45:02 AM »
*DT14, remember LaLP

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #345 on: April 14, 2014, 07:20:04 AM »
End of Summer?
Or directly for XMas?
James said in Philly that they were looking at sometime in August...
...of 2015!   :P
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Labrie1984

« Reply #346 on: May 05, 2014, 08:28:38 PM »
I am anxiously waiting for the official announcement. Richard Chycki wrote in his official page some weeks ago he's working on the postproduction. I hope the guys make an official statement about the release around June. Can't freaking wait!!

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #347 on: May 06, 2014, 01:14:09 AM »
I am anxiously waiting for the official announcement. Richard Chycki wrote in his official page some weeks ago he's working on the postproduction. I hope the guys make an official statement about the release around June. Can't freaking wait!!

And so it begins...  :lol
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Grizz

« Reply #348 on: May 11, 2014, 09:09:55 AM »
Listening to the bootleg now. The snare and the drum cymbal sounds in general don't suck. (EDIT: Just got to Enigma Machine. The toms actually do sound like detergent bottles.) Let's hope they aren't overprocessed.
I also hope Petrucci isn't too high like he was live and on Luna Park.

NOW FOR SOME SPOILERS:
It's raining on the streets of Boston city
Boston, I'm all alone...
and Rudess casts the lighting in Wasteland
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 09:24:54 AM by Grizz »

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #349 on: May 12, 2014, 01:01:49 AM »

And so it begins...  :lol

:soon:
SOON

Greetings...
Nef