Author Topic: 2014-03-25 - Opera House - Boston, MA  (Read 65555 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: 2014-03-25 - Opera House - Boston, MA
« Reply #140 on: March 23, 2014, 12:00:46 PM »
 :lol

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #141 on: March 23, 2014, 12:40:27 PM »
If its anything like last time with LALP, then I cannot wait to watch and hear this on Blu Ray in June 2015!! :yarr
I REALLY hope it's not delayed like that again. If they put it out on schedule, I'd imagine it'd be released somewhere between Oct-Dec.

I looked at the seating chart according to ticketmaster and according to them there's only 5 seats left for this show, and they're in the corners of the top of the theater. It's going to be a packed show. Should have some great energy.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #142 on: March 23, 2014, 05:57:06 PM »
I don't know, it seems to me that us Northeasterners aren't exactly known for being so energetic. I suppose it depends on the venue. The Palladium has a much more energetic atmosphere (if for nothing else than its lack of air conditioning in the heart of July) than an all seated proscenial v venue like the Oakdale or an opera house. Hopefully I'm wrong and just rambling on out of my ass like the talkative nutjob I am, though.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #143 on: March 23, 2014, 06:00:03 PM »
I kinda wish they didn't play seated venues in America. I hate sitting down at concerts and if everyone behind me is sitting I'm the ass in the way  >:(

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #144 on: March 23, 2014, 06:29:12 PM »
Where: Intermission Theater
When: 5pm
Who: Nick+1, King+1, Rumborak

Anyone else want to come out? Also, who is in charge of calling in the reservation?
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #145 on: March 23, 2014, 07:06:22 PM »
I'll call tomorrow after I get out of work.  We'll see how many else post until then and see if they need reservations.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Eren

« Reply #146 on: March 23, 2014, 08:44:08 PM »
I'll see you all this Tuesday!  :smiley: It's sounding great!!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #147 on: March 24, 2014, 12:44:55 AM »
So jelly.....

Kick some butt Eren!!!!!

Offline rubenchitito

« Reply #148 on: March 24, 2014, 01:30:22 AM »
I kinda wish they didn't play seated venues in America. I hate sitting down at concerts and if everyone behind me is sitting I'm the ass in the way  >:(

Dude, you do you. I went to the Toronto concert and some people were sitting or recording behind me but I don't give a damn. I paid good money to enjoy it 100% and that's what I did. This ain't church to sit down.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #149 on: March 24, 2014, 05:03:27 AM »
Maybe not, but it is a place o of worship. :biggrin:

Seriously though, I find it more enjoyable if I'm around people that are pumped. I'm probably self-conscious about making an ass of myself or something.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline EstyMaJ

« Reply #150 on: March 24, 2014, 08:55:07 AM »
The suspense is killing me!!!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #151 on: March 24, 2014, 11:10:39 AM »

Dude, you do you. I went to the Toronto concert and some people were sitting or recording behind me but I don't give a damn. I paid good money to enjoy it 100% and that's what I did. This ain't church to sit down.

Except the world doesn't revolve around you. If the will of the people is to stand, you stand, if it's to sit you sit. In most cases I prefer to sit, but will do whatever is appropriate. You determining what everyone else should do based on your own personal preference is rude and arrogant. And everyone else paid good money too, and you don't seem to care about their enjoyment of the show.

Seriously though, I find it more enjoyable if I'm around people that are pumped. I'm probably self-conscious about making an ass of myself or something.

I too prefer this, though I seem to be in this weird world where you can sit and still be into the show and pumped. It only happens rarely, but it's awesome when it does. For Haken's 2nd show on Progressive Nation at Sea they played a weird venue. There was a barely raised stage and like a dance floor with a crescent moon of seating on the same level around the outside. Now if the dance floor people stood, the people sitting would not be able to see anything. So the guys on the dance floor sat down, and stayed down to my surprise. There were hands in the air, and people were obviously so into the music. Yet everyone in the place sat and was comfortable. It was perfect.

I'll see you all this Tuesday!  :smiley: It's sounding great!!

Looking great, honestly a lot more pieces than I was expecting, which is awesome!
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline rubenchitito

« Reply #152 on: March 24, 2014, 11:42:38 AM »
A concert is not made for you to go sit your ass and be a bore. That's what church and school are for. "The will of the people" That's a term for tools that don't have a spine to do themselves and do what everyone else is doing. I paid good money to see them perform and enjoy myself. I hope others enjoy themselves too, but if to do so, I have to conform to what you deem "appropriate", then you've got another thing coming. Also, I don't expect everyone to do what I like, hence I didn't go around telling people to stand up.. but again, if in order for you to enjoy the show I have to sit down or work around your recording of the show, you have another thing coming.

"if everyone stands, you stand, if everyone else sits you sit" lol Nope, sorry, that's not how I live my life.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #153 on: March 24, 2014, 12:15:08 PM »
A concert is not made for you to go sit your ass and be a bore. That's what church and school are for. "The will of the people" That's a term for tools that don't have a spine to do themselves and do what everyone else is doing. I paid good money to see them perform and enjoy myself. I hope others enjoy themselves too, but if to do so, I have to conform to what you deem "appropriate", then you've got another thing coming.

I'm not saying you should do what I think is appropriate, you should do what the audience of the show deems appropriate. Everyone there paid good money, and again, you are only thinking about yourself. You claim to hope other enjoy themselves, but don't care if your standing in their way leads otherwise. Actions speak louder than words. And finally, it again isn't up to you, I, or anyone alone to determine what is appropriate for where.

In the end, you can do whatever you wish, but if you're one of the only people standing in a large seated crowd, and you wonder what "asshole" had security come to give you the choices of taking a seat of leaving (the policy at 90% of venues where everyone has chosen to sit), and I'm there, you can bet it was me. :D

Edit: Grizz, while I agree with your point (and now deleted comment), please don't personally attack other users with your comments.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #154 on: March 24, 2014, 12:26:08 PM »
I have to agree with the sentiment though that "only seating" venues make the concert a lot less exciting.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #155 on: March 24, 2014, 12:34:01 PM »
I have to agree with the sentiment though that "only seating" venues make the concert a lot less exciting.

Yes, typically that is an unfortunate side effect most of the time. I'm usually banging or tapping something an entire show or singing along, but tend to be in the minority. While I think that's generally fine for Dream Theater, and for this show with the strings coming in seating seems right, in the future I think for live releases they should definitely resort to standing room venues, at least up front.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: March 24, 2014, 03:07:47 PM »

Yes, typically that is an unfortunate side effect most of the time. I'm usually banging or tapping something an entire show or singing along, but tend to be in the minority. While I think that's generally fine for Dream Theater, and for this show with the strings coming in seating seems right, in the future I think for live releases they should definitely resort to standing room venues, at least up front.

Metallica's S&M comes to mind, some people tried to do the head banging and rocking out but it just doesnt work in that setting.

As for the thread, I am super jealous of the people going to this concert.  If it had been a weekend, I would have tried to make the trip.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: March 24, 2014, 03:31:35 PM »
A prog metal show deems people stand.  A jazz club get your seat on.

24 hours from now food, beer and conversations shall be had!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Sad Wings

« Reply #158 on: March 24, 2014, 04:53:27 PM »
Where: Intermission Theater

Anyone else want to come out? Also, who is in charge of calling in the reservation?

Do you mean Intermission Tavern? I may head there depending on when I get into the city.

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #159 on: March 24, 2014, 10:15:24 PM »
I'm not saying you should do what I think is appropriate, you should do what the audience of the show deems appropriate. Everyone there paid good money, and again, you are only thinking about yourself. You claim to hope other enjoy themselves, but don't care if your standing in their way leads otherwise. Actions speak louder than words. And finally, it again isn't up to you, I, or anyone alone to determine what is appropriate for where.

This. I really would rather everyone standing because that's how I feel a rock show should be, but I'm not going to block everyone else behind me just because I want to be selfish and stand. When they first come out with TEI/The Mirror/Overture 1928, I'm not gonna help it and am gonna cheer and jump up. But I won't stay up for the whole show. Unless of course everyone decides to stand and then it's a real party  :biggrin:

Offline Umph1348

« Reply #160 on: March 25, 2014, 07:47:07 AM »
My wife can't make the show tonight and as such I have an extra (Orch Left Row S).  I am happy to give it away to anybody who needs an extra.  Preferably somebody who wants to stand and dance like me... ;)  In all seriousness, I hope the folks in the Orchestra are standing and rocking, but if the vast majority of people are seated then I will acquiesce and sit down.  I can't wait for my first DT show regardless!!  Let me know if anybody needs an extra ticket...

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #161 on: March 25, 2014, 08:11:07 AM »

Offline PolishFalcon29

« Reply #162 on: March 25, 2014, 08:32:57 AM »
Hey everyone,

I'm a little lot late to the party here, but I wanted to find out about any formal gatherings before the show.  I'm also too lazy to read through the previous pages.  I anticipate coming in via the T around 5:30 at Park Station.

Thanks in advance.  I'd be nice to meet some fellow DT fans (for a change)!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #163 on: March 25, 2014, 08:43:15 AM »
PolishFalcon,

it's not a "formal" gathering, but a bunch of us will meet from 5pm on at Intermission Tavern.

Offline cyberdrummer

« Reply #164 on: March 25, 2014, 08:43:35 AM »
Hey everyone,

I'm a little lot late to the party here, but I wanted to find out about any formal gatherings before the show.  I'm also too lazy to read through the previous pages.  I anticipate coming in via the T around 5:30 at Park Station.

Thanks in advance.  I'd be nice to meet some fellow DT fans (for a change)!

Where: Intermission Tavern

Offline PolishFalcon29

« Reply #165 on: March 25, 2014, 08:44:38 AM »
PolishFalcon,

it's not a "formal" gathering, but a bunch of us will meet from 5pm on at Intermission Tavern.

Cool, that's where I'll head then when I get in. 

Thanks!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #166 on: March 25, 2014, 08:56:18 AM »
Hopefully the place isn't super-packed. Other than Shmeg I don't know what any of you look like!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: March 25, 2014, 08:59:39 AM »
So is there going to be a barricade to separate the ensemble from the crowd?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #168 on: March 25, 2014, 09:02:11 AM »
Yeah, I wonder. Doesn't that also mean nobody actually gets close to the band?

Offline cyberdrummer

« Reply #169 on: March 25, 2014, 09:03:36 AM »
Being an opera house, does it have a proper orchestra pit?

EDIT: Answered my own question. I suppose it'll be set up like this

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: March 25, 2014, 09:07:41 AM »
Hey everybody, there is not reservations at the Tavern.  first con=me, first serve.  I would think a Tuesday night will not be too bad.  See you there!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #171 on: March 25, 2014, 09:10:43 AM »
I'm really confused on the set up. I feel likey 9th row seat just got further away.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #172 on: March 25, 2014, 09:13:51 AM »
The two images don't seem to match up at all.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #173 on: March 25, 2014, 09:15:54 AM »
Not at all.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #174 on: March 25, 2014, 09:17:09 AM »
Not at all. Could the first one be a rehersal hall somewhere in town?