Author Topic: 2014-03-25 - Opera House - Boston, MA  (Read 65516 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: 2014-03-25 - Opera House - Boston, MA
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2014, 09:17:29 PM »
If my friend decides he wants to take the trip, then I might be heading to the show too.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2014, 04:53:37 AM »
That would be cool, If you do pm me John.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2014, 07:55:59 AM »
That would be cool, If you do pm me John.

Definitely

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2014, 09:03:35 AM »
I just bought my ticket, and this will be my first time seeing them live.

I wonder if they will change the setlist to make more use of the strings and choir.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Grizz

« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2014, 08:35:38 PM »
Since the show is being filmed and released as an official DVD, I would avoid sharing personal recordings.   In this case, I ere on the side of letting the band first present the show as they intend.
But still photography?
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2014, 09:31:19 PM »
Well, we know the band doesn't want you to take photos, if that answers it for you.  I anticipate the venue's employees to be especially vigilant at this show.  Just an assumption, though.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2014, 11:50:42 PM »
Well, we know the band doesn't want you to take photos, if that answers it for you.
Okay, that's what I really wanted to know.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline DebatesareGreat

• Grand Imperial Pubah of the Northeast
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2014, 07:47:26 PM »
Strings? Choir? Live DVD? One of a kind? They're gonna play Six Degrees. It all adds up harmoniously. Ive got tickets in the mezzinaine so I guess ill find out.
Love in a Space Dye Vest.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2014, 08:29:45 PM »
Strings? Choir? Live DVD? One of a kind? They're gonna play Six Degrees. It all adds up harmoniously. Ive got tickets in the mezzinaine so I guess ill find out.
Probably not. They're most likely to play the set they've been playing in Europe these days.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2014, 10:47:56 PM »

Gawd, I hope not.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2014, 10:51:46 PM »

It's been done on Score, so that's not exactly one of a kind. ;)
Plus, it's too much new material to learn. I'd be very surprised if they deviated from their current setlist.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2014, 05:40:47 AM »
They won't play 6 Degrees. That doesn't make sense.

But I would still be surprised if the setlist is not tweaked. I'm trying to figure out how they would incorporate the strings and choir into the current 2nd set, other than Illumination Theory and maybe Space Dye Vest. I'm sure they are not there for one song.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2014, 03:11:50 AM »
Well, I think, if things go as I plan I can go to the show. I have a feeling this show can't be missed. Hope I can make it.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2014, 09:09:30 AM »
Well, I think, if things go as I plan I can go to the show. I have a feeling this show can't be missed. Hope I can make it.
Awesome. Where are you coming from?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2014, 10:19:30 AM »
Awesome. Where are you coming from?

Thanks. Turkey, Istanbul. Will be here a week ago for a work meeting. If things go well I can make it.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline greyghost

« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2014, 08:49:47 PM »
Hurrah!  Things lined up properly, and I just bought tickets for myself and my kids (18 and 23--this will likely be our last DT road trip all together)!  We're way up in the balcony (that's all that's left), but in an opera house, those will still be decent seats.   :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :tup :tup :tup :tup

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2014, 10:26:53 AM »
Nice.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2014, 05:31:39 AM »
Can this show come any faster please?! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Eren

« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2014, 07:13:05 PM »
I visited Boston Opera House today. It's mind blowing.  :smiley: I hope to see / meet all there!  :smiley:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2014, 06:01:29 AM »
Yeah, the I
Ages online make the place look stunning.

Eren, let me ask you this. Do you know where you will be situated on the stage?

Offline Tim van Duijn

« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2014, 03:23:57 PM »
Well, i heard they are going to do something extra special for the DVD recording. Heard they're gonna play set 1 and set 2 + the encore as most of us know 'em + a 2nd encore (or an added song to the encore). Wether it's true is something i can't tell you but that would be very cool.

If it's true, what would it be? What would you like to hear? ACOS (although i wonder how that song would work out with an orchestra, but DT can make everything sound awesome)?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2014, 03:28:00 PM »
Hopefully it would be 8V.

Where did you hear this?

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2014, 10:47:44 PM »
I just noticed a bunch of seats now available in side orchestra sections.   Didn't see these last few weeks, so maybe Live Nation made available another clump of tickets?  These are REALLY DECENT seats, so if you haven't purchased your tickets yet to this historic show . . . now is the time.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2014, 08:30:18 AM »
What the fuck? I'm getting pretty sick of good seats becoming suddenly available.

Offline Eren

« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2014, 12:23:42 PM »
Yeah, the I
Ages online make the place look stunning.

Eren, let me ask you this. Do you know where you will be situated on the stage?

We'll be in the pit in front of the stage, with cameras looking at us.

I don't know if they are planning anything else than the current set but what I was informed is the set will be the set and we'll be a part of it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2014, 12:26:13 PM »
Cool, thanks Eren!

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2014, 12:30:02 PM »
So has this definitely been confirmed as being recorded for an official DVD?

Offline Grizz

« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2014, 08:47:29 PM »

Offline 7deg_inner_happiness

• Can't get enough music!
« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2014, 09:17:41 PM »
So has this definitely been confirmed as being recorded for an official DVD?
https://www.dreamtheater.net/news/one-kind-show-berklee-college-music-90811

The telling line from the DT blog is "This special homecoming will be captured and recorded for a later release.".

I may be wrong, but I interpret "captured" to mean "filmed".  However, I don't know if "later release" necessarily means "DVD / Blue-Ray".
- Ronzoni -

Offline Grizz

« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2014, 09:30:28 PM »
It sure does to me. Either way, this will truly be a Nightmare to Remember.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2014, 02:52:58 AM »
What the fuck? I'm getting pretty sick of good seats becoming suddenly available.

I'm pretty sure the new seats were released to accompany the "free trip to Boston show" contest that DT announced a few hours later on facebook.  The contest blurb mentions that tickets are available, and thus spake zarathustra: "Let some good seats appear." 

Of course, I like to think these new seats are meant to accommodate the family members of the Berklee students performing. 

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2014, 12:34:52 PM »
Ugh. I just found out that my friend will be attending this show. I am jealous enough to still feel envious.   :sadpanda:
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2014, 05:50:52 PM »
Ugh. I just found out that my friend will be attending this show. I am jealous enough to still feel envious.   :sadpanda:

iseewhatyoudidthere
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Umph1348

« Reply #68 on: March 07, 2014, 07:36:32 AM »
I can't wait for my first DT show!!  I have been listening to them for awhile now as I am a big prog fan (also a big fan of improvisational acts like Umphrey's McGee and Phish).  Will people be standing/dancing at this show?  I don't really love sit down affairs but can understand why this might be one given the formal/stuffy nature of the venue.  In any case I am psyched for my first show and feel like I am getting spoiled rotten with the setlist (particularly the SFAM stuff in the encore and tracks like Enigma Machine and IT from the new album).  The inclusion of the Berklee Orchestra/Choir is just a cherry on top.  Who knows, I may try to see them again in NY/LI the following weekend to experience a "regular" show.  Happy to join this board and get immersed in such a talented band.  DT have put themselves on a level with Gentle Giant and Umphrey's McGee in my ears as one of the tightest/most talented bands I have ever heard.  Their virtuoso chops and stop on a dime changes are really what do it for me.  That and I am a sucker for a good ballad after a band flexes it muscles in odd signature or extremely technical sections (makes for a nice contrast and provides the listener with a breather)...  I hope to meet some folks on this board at the show.  Sorry for the ramble!!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #69 on: March 07, 2014, 05:50:42 PM »
Just got my "Tickets Dispatched" email!!