Author Topic: The Best of Times covered by a 14 year old girl  (Read 2832 times)

Offline Shine

The Best of Times covered by a 14 year old girl
« on: December 16, 2013, 06:57:51 PM »
That girl has got some great promise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he7WgkbiWwU
lake of fire

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: The Best of Times covered by a 14 year old girl
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 08:11:06 PM »
Clicking the link, I was expecting a piano cover, maybe with vocals, but not the damn outro solo!
Her bending/vibrato technique was a little weird, maybe because of her smaller hands, but aside from that, that was pretty awesome, and her playing was very clean, even on the sweeps. :metal :metal
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 08:59:06 PM »
Doesn't she know the importance of the song to Mike Portnoy? Just classless.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 09:06:52 PM »
I wasnt a fan of how she slid into practically every note, but that was actually really good

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 09:10:05 PM »

:lol
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 09:19:43 PM »
Clicking the link, I was expecting a piano cover, maybe with vocals, but not the damn outro solo!
Her bending/vibrato technique was a little weird, maybe because of her smaller hands, but aside from that, that was pretty awesome, and her playing was very clean, even on the sweeps. :metal :metal

Agreed regarding the bending technique. It seems she fell flat on a few of the notes.   However she still did a pretty awesome job.  The sweeps were a tad dirty, but it's better than a lot of other people I see put stuff up there.  All in all, kick ass job.  She's only 14 so she has potential written all over her. 

I'm not so sure what is "classless" about this.   ???

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 09:22:48 PM »

Agreed regarding the bending technique. It seems she fell flat on a few of the notes.   However she still did a pretty awesome job.  The sweeps were a tad dirty, but it's better than a lot of other people I see put stuff up there.  All in all, kick ass job.  She's only 14 so she has potential written all over her. 

I can excuse the minor flaws given the circumstances! Still clean for a 14 year old (take that sentence out of context).

And I'm pretty sure XB0BX is just joking. :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 09:29:23 PM »

I can excuse the minor flaws given the circumstances! Still clean for a 14 year old (take that sentence out of context).

And I'm pretty sure XB0BX is just joking. :lol

Absolutely correct.  I definitely wasn't knocking her at all.  If she can get 99% down beautifully, she will have no problem working out the rest of it.  She has other videos up on YouTube. 

Is he joking?  Maybe he is.  I dunno.   :lol

Offline jsem

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2013, 11:55:38 PM »
I'm split on that one. She clearly has the shredding down, but she struggles with any note longer than a 16th. Her vibrato is, honestly, pretty bad.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline TheDisposableHero

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 12:54:39 AM »
The one thing that bothers me aside from her vibrato is that on the super sweepy part at the end of the first half of the solo, she goes WAY TOO FAST. Like, she goes ahead of the beat. Other than that, this cover of the solo is pretty freaking amazing for a fourteen year old. We've seen this girl cover Eruption before, so she has undeniable chops.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 05:47:23 AM »
I'm split on that one. She clearly has the shredding down, but she struggles with any note longer than a 16th. Her vibrato is, honestly, pretty bad.

She added too much in for effect, in my opinion, earlier on in the solo.   

The one thing that bothers me aside from her vibrato is that on the super sweepy part at the end of the first half of the solo, she goes WAY TOO FAST. Like, she goes ahead of the beat. Other than that, this cover of the solo is pretty freaking amazing for a fourteen year old. We've seen this girl cover Eruption before, so she has undeniable chops.

I'm going to assume that when she went a little too fast, her nerves were taking over.  It happens to me sometimes.  You're focused on playing a certain set of notes so perfectly because of their difficulty that you lose all sense of timing. 

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2013, 07:17:38 AM »
Daamn :hefdaddy
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2013, 04:14:19 PM »

True.  She shouldn't have performed it without him. 

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2013, 04:38:09 PM »
She's been at this a while now.  :metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovmGnNuyUAE

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2013, 09:22:20 PM »
 :omg: What.. I don't even.. How...?

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2013, 11:49:48 AM »
Great job!  Of course i am not a musician, so i cannot comment on technique, etc.

By the way, she looks a lot like Darlene on the sitcom Roseanne.   
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 05:53:47 PM by mike099 »
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline PwnsomeWin

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2013, 05:33:45 PM »
2:40 she hits another string by accident. But anyways, this is great!

Offline gentaishinigami

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2013, 07:10:11 PM »
Horribly overdone vibrato and slides into notes as noted above, but an overall great job and is great to see a female shredder (shredding DT no less)!  Makes me want to throw my guitar out the window though. :<

I wonder why people can shred so easily but have such a hard time with the slow melodic stuff...  She makes more mistakes in slow easy parts than the fast hard ones lol.  I see that everywhere and its rather weird.  I wish i had that problem!  Slow (relatively) is np, but fast parts like this and I fold like a lawn chair.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2013, 09:47:12 PM »
Horribly overdone vibrato and slides into notes as noted above, but an overall great job and is great to see a female shredder (shredding DT no less)!  Makes me want to throw my guitar out the window though. :<

I wonder why people can shred so easily but have such a hard time with the slow melodic stuff...  She makes more mistakes in slow easy parts than the fast hard ones lol.  I see that everywhere and its rather weird.  I wish i had that problem!  Slow (relatively) is np, but fast parts like this and I fold like a lawn chair.

Fast is just a matter of practice practice practice, so if someone dedicates the time to it, it's not too hard with practice. Vibrato and bending are all about the feels though, and that comes from experience, and naturally developing your style over time, and isn't something you learn from a tab or tutorial, which is why most bedroom shredders suck at it tbh.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2013, 10:01:46 PM »
I feel a bit the opposite Blob -  I reckon over time (if you work at it+ perhaps with some good teaching) that almost anyone can develop some degree of feel/quality in their bending and vibrato and there is much more of a hard physical limit on speed - most players are just not capable of doing what that 14yo just did in terms of speed , no matter how much they practice.  Obviously some players have limited capacity for feel too but hard physical limitations are not  likely to be overcome even with persistence.  I never got my sweeping to a level I was happy with no matter how hard I tried.

I started playing when I was six and persisted until I was around 22yo -  so I've been dormant for 16-17years - but beginning to study my theory again so look out  ;D  :-\  ...frustrating is an understatement.

Anyway - I reckon I was at my peak around 18-19 yo ...........I'd done Satriani pieces for my VCE at the age of 16 and had improved a bit over the following few years - funnily enough in a DT cover band.  I was a very hard "practicer"  and fancied myself as a bit of a shredder and a decent feel player too but I can see some things she's doing as good (or better) than I ever did.  I think she's amazing , even allowing for her faults and the fact that speed doesn't make a good player.  She sure has a head start though.

Anyway..................that's my take.   Have to start getting back into it - since I quit  I've never felt that I had the motivation to overcome the frustration of not being able to do what I used to do as a kid. .... but I think I might be on the way. 

Cheers.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 02:59:26 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2013, 10:19:18 PM »
I feel a bit the opposite Blob -  I reckon over time (if you work at it+ perhaps with some good teaching) that almost anyone can develop some degree of feel/quality in their bending and vibrato and there is much more of a hard physical limit on speed - most players are just not capable of doing what that 14yo just did in terms of speed , no matter how much they practice.  Obviously some players have limited capacity for feel too but hard physical limitations are not  likely to be overcome even with persistence.  I never got my sweeping to a level I was happy with no matter how hard I tried.

I think we're sort of on the same page here. I agree anyone can develop that feel, but as I said, I think it largely comes from time and experience. I don't think you can fast-track it like you can by spending 10 hours a day repeating arpeggios.
Finding a young shredder on Youtube is easy, but there are relatively few I've seen that can bend and hold a note properly, because they're too young to have had the time to develop that naturally from years and years of playing (and also because 10 year old asian girls with Hello Kitty guitars probably have piss weak fingers to pull it off :lol )

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2013, 10:21:41 PM »
Wow, that was awesome!  Sure, there were flaws, but she is 14!!!  Considering that, she did a pretty damn awesome job, I'd say. :hat

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2013, 11:23:44 PM »

I think we're sort of on the same page here. I agree anyone can develop that feel, but as I said, I think it largely comes from time and experience. I don't think you can fast-track it like you can by spending 10 hours a day repeating arpeggios.
Finding a young shredder on Youtube is easy, but there are relatively few I've seen that can bend and hold a note properly, because they're too young to have had the time to develop that naturally from years and years of playing (and also because 10 year old asian girls with Hello Kitty guitars probably have piss weak fingers to pull it off :lol )

I see what you mean.  My key point I suppose is that I know guys who've played for 20 years who can't play like that - so the only way you can fast track to that level practicing 10 hours a day on arpeggios is if you have serious natural talent....especially at 14 yo.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2013, 11:28:14 PM »

I see what you mean.  My key point I suppose is that I know guys who've played for 20 years who can't play like that - so the only way you can fast track to that level practicing 10 hours a day on arpeggios is if you have serious natural talent....especially at 14 yo.

Yeah, I got what you meant. :tup And it's just not a priority for a lot of players to shred either. Being able to express yourself through your instrument is more important.

And this girl is well on her way, especially for being only 14. She's got the chops down already, it's only a matter of time (pun intended) before the rest comes. Give it another couple of years, and who knows what she could do!

Offline gentaishinigami

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2013, 11:42:32 PM »
I think a lot of people would do good to buy the official tab books.  It really lays it out perfectly and if you study/practice them long enough you get a good feel for the little intricacies in JPs playing and realize just how much nuance goes into every riff.

Most, however, want to stealth brag with the "I learned it by ear" thing and so completely miss half the song (not to mention some peoples ears... need some work).  /rantoff

:biggrin: