Author Topic: jingle.boy's Roulette v2 - That's all she wrote folks...another happy ending  (Read 75788 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: jingle.boy's Roulette v2 - Round 6... BECAUSE THIS IS THE SIXTH ROUND
« Reply #525 on: January 22, 2014, 07:25:37 AM »

No worries.  Hopefully they were good "unforseen circumstances" and not because you got a bad batch of Zydar's goods, woke up in a motel room wearing nothing but a thong, with a strange (yet familiar) taste in your mouth, and an empty tube of KY on the night stand.

Geez J-Boy, WTF?

Just sayin. 

I think I need another cup of coffee.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #526 on: January 22, 2014, 07:29:05 AM »
No worries.  Hopefully they were good "unforseen circumstances" and not because you got a bad batch of Zydar's goods, woke up in a motel room wearing nothing but a thong, with a strange (yet familiar) taste in your mouth, and an empty tube of KY on the night stand.
Geez J-Boy, WTF?
He's speaking from experience, I'm sure.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #527 on: January 22, 2014, 07:33:45 AM »

Geez J-Boy, WTF?

Just sayin. 

I think I need another cup of coffee mouthwash.

;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #528 on: January 22, 2014, 09:30:28 AM »
I'm sorry for taking so long.. I haven't been home since Monday morning, due to unforeseen circumstances. I'll try to send something tonight.

This is the strongest round yet, and every song deserves to earn money.  Alas, they won't.  Couple of songs nailed it though.  HARD.  The rest are fighting for spots 3 and 4.  Honestly, if I was using a 10 point rating system, everything is an 8 or higher (after 2 listens).

All of you get the :evilmonkey:

Good to hear man, and that's the second best song on that album. The epic is  :omg:

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #529 on: January 22, 2014, 09:39:10 AM »
When did you get promoted to "Executive head chef"?
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #530 on: January 22, 2014, 09:41:49 AM »
I will send my song later today.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #531 on: January 22, 2014, 12:44:29 PM »

That happened a while ago. I think I've more than earned it here though. :RJ:  :lonestar:  :extrabacon:

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #532 on: January 22, 2014, 12:58:51 PM »

That happened a while ago. I think I've more than earned it here though. :RJ:  :lonestar:  :extrabacon:

We know ...

I haven't had a sausage that good since lonestar's.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #533 on: January 22, 2014, 03:13:23 PM »
Again... :RJ:

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #534 on: January 22, 2014, 04:51:55 PM »
Sent

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #535 on: January 23, 2014, 06:50:24 AM »
I liked it better when I (briefly) thought that zook/Elite were bailing because they didn't have much of a chance of getting to Final Jeopardy.  Would've been easy to put their 'no-submissions' in the last 2 places.

Now ... da fuq!?!  12 amazing songs.  Two Mystery Bands, and true to form, both doubled their wager.  Got a lot of listening to do in order to figure out to stack these.  None of these songs are losers, but unfortunately, only 4 will "win".

Best round yet.  :clap: to all of you.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #536 on: January 23, 2014, 08:29:25 AM »
In my personal view, crunch should be rewarded.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #537 on: January 23, 2014, 08:59:11 AM »

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #538 on: January 23, 2014, 10:01:26 AM »
 :lol

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #539 on: January 24, 2014, 09:57:37 AM »
Are we getting results any time soon?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #540 on: January 24, 2014, 11:58:57 AM »
Are we getting results any time soon?

Yes, the results are in.  Your Dr. wanted to inform you in person, but I'll tell you anyway .... you have short-cockitis.   :lol

Will try to get them in tonight... been a busy day, and busy evening.  Started some writeups last night, but I honestly still don't know who's in the money, and who isn't.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #541 on: January 24, 2014, 08:18:12 PM »
For those still awake, results within the hour.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #542 on: January 24, 2014, 08:19:11 PM »
To hell with you.  I'm going to bed!  I'll check them out in the a.m.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #543 on: January 24, 2014, 08:21:58 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGMN-gNfdaY

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #544 on: January 24, 2014, 09:00:42 PM »
So, as I said, these were 12 awesome songs.  Two really stood out, and the rest were fighting it out for spots 3 and 4.  This is the first round so far where I know I’ll be checking out all 12 of these albums to get a better sense of the band, and I’m willing to bet ˝ of them will result in a purchase.  Thanks, fuckers!  That being said, the margin of difference in order to stack rank them is incredibly slim, and any negative comments are me REALLY searching for something to nit-pick about. 

Bolsters ($200)
The Black Mages\Vamo Alla Flamenco
Really, really great prog instrumental.  Clean, polished, top notch stuff.  Can’t really say much more about it – diverse set of melodies and sounds were delivered here...everything you’d want/expect from a Grade A prog tune.

bosk ($300)
Flotsam And Jetsam\Smoked Out
Another band I’ve seen the name of, and have often wondered what kind of music it was.  Never would’ve pegged it for old-school hard/heavy rock.  Loved the guitar sound.  Weakest part for me was vocals.  Guitar melodies got kinda repetitive towards the end.

lonestar ($100)
Need\Entheogen
Loved the guitar tones and riffs.  The mellower moments didn't work for me.  One excellent instrumental section, and a nice composition.  Lots of emotional guitar solo'g throughout.  Probably works real good in the context of the whole album, which I’ll be checking out.  STOP SENDING ME CONCEPTS!!!

jjrock ($100)
Winters Bane\Heart of a Killer
Excellent riffing.  Great hard rock/metal that I would've loved if I kept exploring in the 90s.  Only knock is what I would consider 'decent’ vocals.

Nekov ($200)
Dragonland\Too Late for Sorrow
Great blend of metal and melodic.  With Elize Ryd, this male/female duet works, although Jonas was definitely the weak link in the vocal department.  Great power ballad, but not the best one this round....

Zook ($200)
Demons & Wizards\Fiddler on the Green
... that honor goes to zook, although I’m not sure one would technically classify this as a power ballad.  Nonetheless, I loved the contrast between the acoustic 1st half of the song (which really reminded me of the start of the outro from TCOT - actually, the whole song did), and :metal of the 2nd half.  Hansi’s vocals can be hit or miss, but they worked here.

TAC ($200)
Sun Caged\Ashes to Earn
Mystery Band #1 this round.  And with a $200 bet, TAC ups it to the max of $500.  Killer arpeggio opening to the instrumental section.  The whole song oozes with a nice blend of guitars and keys.  Absolutely loved the guitar tone - full and rich... Now THIS was chocolate cake for the ears!

wolfking ($300)
Mercenary\Through Our Darkest Days
Rough vocals don't detract at all.  Musically it's fantastic – loved the guitar riff; terrific solo.  It got better with every listen as I got more in tune with the vocal style.  I think I might have enjoyed it more if they were a little cleaner/smoother, but this was a great tune either way.

kirksnosehair ($400)
Sacrum\Cognition
And there she goes!  Nailed it right from the intro.  Wasn't a damn thing about this that I didn't love.  This was the kind of music I was expecting every round from you.  You nailed it in the qualifiers, then stumbled a bit the past couple of rounds, but this was absolute dynamite.  Song of the round.  Purchase will undoubtedly be made.

Elite ($100)
Sacrum\Survive
A double dose of these guys this round.  I didn't really think the 'mega horn' vocal effect was needed.  Musically, it was as good as the other Sacrum tune, but I didn’t see the need to get all whacky with the vocals.

last.fm ($300)
Khymera\Borderline
Pretty standard melodic flair.  And as usual, the ties go to the humans, so HAL finishes in the bottom group again, despite probably the best recommendation from last.fm so far

Lowdz ($500)
At Vance\Take My Pain
Which brings us to Mystery Band #2, and by doubling the $500 wager, it’s literally a make or break song for Lowdz.  Either an insurmountable, Cliff Claven-like lead, or he’s done.  Killer intro, and while At Vance was a mystery band for the Rick Altzi aspect, I love Ollie as a vocalist.  Great pace, excellent guitars and solo, and some really nice vocal harmonies in the chorus.  But, was it good enough to win, draw, or did it just miss the cut?

Win – kirksnosehair, Lowdz, TAC, wolfking  :topscore:
Lose– last.fm, jjrock, lonestar, bosk :score:
Draw – Bolsters, nekov, zook, Elite  :dunno:

Standings:
Lowdz - $1,900
Bolsters -$ 800
TAC - $700
Bosk - $300
lonestar - $300
jjrock - $300
wolfking - $300
nekov - $200
kirksnosehair - $200
zook - -$500
Elite - -$500
last.fm - -$900

Ok... so I’m gonna call an audible in for this round, and entry into Final Jeopardy

Given the standings, and the wagers left, the top 3 are set.  Without a Mystery Band selection, there’s no way for anyone to catch TAC.  And with the cluster of people at $200 and $300, I’m going to make things interesting, and allow a FOURTH AND FIFTH person into the finals.  I’m also going to grant Zook and Elite an automatic Daily Double... so for Elite, his $400 wager turns into $800, which gives him hope (sorry Zook... I think you’re now mathematically eliminated from the finals).  Not sure I know how I’ll handle a tiebreaker, but I’ll figure that out.  Also, last.fm is fired.  None of the songs recommended were bad, but none wow'd me enough to rank it better than most of your choices.  So, for the last round, it's out.

As for wagers, zook and lonestar have $300; jjrock has $200; and the rest have $100.  As mentioned, Elite has $400.  So, it's anyone's game for those final two spots.

Expecting a big round, and standings will be posted no later than Wednesday.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 10:15:04 PM by jingle.boy »

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: jingle.boy's Roulette v2 - Rd 6 results - Top 3 are set, but .... OMAHA!
« Reply #545 on: January 24, 2014, 09:11:43 PM »
Winter's Bane is definitely not Ripper's best work.

Goodnight.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #546 on: January 24, 2014, 09:32:22 PM »
Damn, from the write-up I was expecting to have won some money. It really must have been a strong round as you said. I'd better head off to Spotify.

You won't find my band on Spotify, but I checked and they're on Grooveshark. I only bring it up because I wholly recommend their first two albums, however I can't recommend the third one at all. I'd suggest listening to it last or avoiding it altogether.

Oh, and did you figure out that I effectively sent you video game music (albeit a cover)? :lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xMZo4Kvau4

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #547 on: January 24, 2014, 10:10:15 PM »
Damn, from the write-up I was expecting to have won some money. It really must have been a strong round as you said. I'd better head off to Spotify.

You won't find my band on Spotify, but I checked and they're on Grooveshark. I only bring it up because I wholly recommend their first two albums, however I can't recommend the third one at all. I'd suggest listening to it last or avoiding it altogether.

Oh, and did you figure out that I effectively sent you video game music (albeit a cover)? :lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xMZo4Kvau4

Nope, never played Final Fantasy ... any iteration. 

You and zook were right on the money cut line.  I really wrestled between your songs, and wolfking's for the final winner.  Alas, the other Aussie won, and you two stayed even this round.

Winter's Bane is definitely not Ripper's best work.

Well, I'm not much of an a IE fan, and never did get into JP, so not surprising that another album featuring Ripper didn't wow me.  As I mentioned, I was really stretching to find something to nit pick, and for that tune, it was the vocals that impressed me the least.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #548 on: January 24, 2014, 10:17:18 PM »
Nope, never played Final Fantasy ... any iteration. 
Figured that much :P, I wasn't sure if you were checking Last.fm pages, Wikipedia entries, etc. for any of the submissions or not though.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #549 on: January 25, 2014, 12:34:34 AM »
Sweet, another round of nothing, gotta check out some of these competing songs man, that Need song is f'ing stellar. I'll send something in the morning.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #550 on: January 25, 2014, 04:12:57 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGMN-gNfdaY

You don't know how much I say this to my brother and my cousin. :lol  I wake up too early all week!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #551 on: January 25, 2014, 04:22:22 AM »
Well as I have a free round I can experiment a bit. Have to admit I was sweating a bit. Saying that, would probably have gambled for real cash too.  :biggrin:

Some of these are in my "Chad's roulette" folder for consideration. The exact same song in the case of Dragonland. Going to have to dig deep going forward.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #552 on: January 25, 2014, 04:56:50 AM »
So, let's see. Since I'm in last place my wager gets doubled automatically? What happens if I send a mystery band (chances are that I won't though :P )?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #553 on: January 25, 2014, 09:49:24 AM »
Flotsam & Jetsam  :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #554 on: January 25, 2014, 10:07:19 AM »
Flotsam & Jetsam  :metal

Don't think I've ever heard them either. Kinda lumped them into the Thrash box back in the day.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #555 on: January 25, 2014, 10:44:49 AM »
So, let's see. Since I'm in last place my wager gets doubled automatically? What happens if I send a mystery band (chances are that I won't though :P )?

Yes...I'm throwing you a bone.  No additional doubling of your wager if you chose a Mystery Band though.  Since I don't like rewarding just for the sake of rewarding, you're gonna have to knock my socks off to earn your dough tho.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #556 on: January 25, 2014, 10:56:36 AM »
Wait...I finished second, and somehow still lost?  Most confusing game ever.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #557 on: January 25, 2014, 10:57:25 AM »
Wait...I finished second, and somehow still lost?  Most confusing game ever.

No, you didn't finish second.  The writeups are in no particular order.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #558 on: January 25, 2014, 11:19:39 AM »
sent

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #559 on: January 25, 2014, 11:21:18 AM »
Sent.