Author Topic: jingle.boy's Roulette v2 - That's all she wrote folks...another happy ending  (Read 75787 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Yes, this shit again.

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

Come on, mystery band!

You gazumped me too. Had the same band (I'm guessing by Chad's lastfm) lined up for the next round.  >:( Would've been $500 too.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
How can I pick a mystery band?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

It's a mystery.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I think it's just a kiss ass way of letting the "DTF guy" double his bets. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
And I'm totally okay with that.

Once you start paying proper homage, you may find yourself getting special privileges too.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Off topic, I still have that free meal waiting at my restaurant for you bosk....

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
 :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Off topic, I still have that free meal waiting at my restaurant for you bosk....

If you had used the word "free" in any post before that one, I might have actually gotten there by now.  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Whose dick do I gotta suck to get a free meal?  Jeez, I live 2200 miles away, and I come to visit you more often then someone 50 miles up the highway.

It's a mystery.

Actually, I shared the list with another member not in this roulette.  I'm sure they'd be more than happy to rat me out if I ever designate a band a "mystery" that isn't.   :biggrin:

And I'm totally okay with that.

Once you start paying proper homage, you may find yourself getting special privileges too.

Like getting your name off the :TAC: emot

Ok, just to prove I'm not sucking up to the new guy, and to begin the mind-fuck games.  Both mystery band submitter's doubled their wager.  One will win it; one will lose it.  Check back tomorrow.  Should be able to get results up.  Gotta listen at least one more time, but I think I know where things are going to settle.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
That said, I'll be surprised if mine lost.  I could see it being a "push" song.  But I'd be surprised if it was a "loser."

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni

Actually, I shared the list with another member not in this roulette.  I'm sure they'd be more than happy to rat me out if I ever designate a band a "mystery" that isn't.   :biggrin:

For the record, that'd be me.  But I accidentally deleted the list while I was pruning my inbox (gotta keep it clean to receive submissions for my own roulette, after all), so if you actually want me to pay attention, you'll have to resend.   :lol

But for now, yeah, I can confirm that jingle definitely has a specific list of mystery bands.  He's not making it up as he goes along.   :tup
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Who's ready for The Mind Games to begin?

Where's the mind games?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I think they're all just in his mind.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
oh, gotcha.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Mmmm...  Mind...  Omnomnom!  :zombiechase:

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
IF I don't make any adjustments, we'll have seven players in the money after this round; one at even-steven; four in the hole.

I think they're all just in his mind.

Mind Games

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Bosk1, you need to play more roulettes. I haven't seen you on this much in a long time. 

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Too stressful, and too many people on this forum listen to way more stuff than I care to listen to.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I can one-up that:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRUM__-vXEA

Beautiful.... God I miss double T.  Have most/all the videos on my laptop.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Bolsters ($400)
Circle of Illusion/New Age
Took a long time to get rolling.  Great guitar riff, followed by prog metal goodness.  Really technical. It felt compositionally challenged; overall, it didn't flow very well together for me... Like the pieces of the songs were haphazardly stitched together.  I really enjoyed all the individual pieces, but as a whole, it just left me feeling a little limp.

Lowdz ($200)
Alter Bridge/Cry Of Achilles
Great track... vocally, there are some moments where I totally get a Lande feel.  Musically, I get a circa-2013 Queensryche vibe.  Don’t know how to explain it, but it just strikes me that way.  Much like Sonata Arctica last round, I’d seen this band’s name bounced around on the board, but never heard anything by them and didn't know what to expect.  Now I’m kinda kicking myself if this is what they’re all about.

Nekov ($500)
Bullitts Dominae/Pure Reason Revolution
This one was more like the stuff you sent in my first Roulette.  Ironic how you said you had a lot of confidence with this one, but had been doing well in the first few rounds without any confidence.  Guess you should take the ‘Costanza’ approach – do the exact opposite of every instinct you have :lol. Things improved 1/2 way thru, but couldn't make up for what I didn't enjoy in the 1st half.  The male/female duet didn't quite click for me.

TAC ($300)
Eldritch/Quiet Hope
This grabs ya with a heavy, raw opening riff – very much old school Metallica.  Unfortunately, I’m a huge Metallica fan, and the old school stuff is very hit-and-miss with my tastes.  The rest of the song is filled with rapidly changing tempos and structure, which didn't allow me to get in sync with it.  Like Bolsters’ song, I liked the individual parts of it, but together as a whole, it was just ok.  Reminded me of Ross playing the keyboard.  It seemed to zig-zag all over the place. 

lonestar ($400)
Mandroid Echostar/Citadels
Just like the Mandroid Echostar track you sent me in my first roulette, this was very good.  Very polished band.  Smooth chops – guitars and vocally.  Loved all the different riffs, and licks that permeate the whole song.  Fantastic outro.  Just a solid, solid track – start to finish.

jjrock ($400)
Virgin Steele/The Burning of Rome
Fantastic.  This was a perfect mix of everything I love in music - glam, melodic, symphonic and proggy all at once.  Why wasn't I listening to this in 1988?  At times I get a Maiden (Powerslave-ish) feel.  Song of the round.   :tup

Zook ($400)
Rainover/Dust and Dawn
VERY much like Within Temptation - operatic vocals but no power behind them.  That’s my knock against WT and Sharon... there’s just no oomph in her voice for me, and this was the same.  Good tune, just not great.  And with this competition, good ain’t gonna earn you any dough.

kirksnosehair ($500)
Venturia/Dear Dead Bride
Another really cool, technically complex song from a very proficient band.  No compositional challenges here, as everything seems to slide right into place.   

Bosk ($400)
Stryper/Sympathy
Mystery Band alert.  Surprisingly, Stryper was a band I never took the time to enjoy.  Heard a lot, and heard that this year’s album was fantastic.  This song was that too.  All the great elements of a glam band that isn’t really glam... just damned good melodic rock.  Great vocal harmonies, straight-forward riffs and drum fills that don’t go over the top, but are more than just keeping the beat. 

wolfking ($400)
Bruce Dickinson/Trumpets of Jericho
Mystery Band alert #2.  And, if you didn’t figure it out from the above description, this was the one that wasn’t up to snuff.  At first I didn’t get it at all.  More listens (and with headphones) got it to somewhat click with me, just not enough to surpass some of the other songs.  There's a certain... I don't know ... about the song and Bruce’s tone that just isn’t floating my boat too much here.  Tastes... Who needs 'em?!?

Elite ($500)
Persona non Grata/Imaginative Mind
The vocal moments remind me of Marco from Nightwish; really heavy intro, didn't like that part too much, but when the keys come in for support, that was really nice.  Everything from the guitar solo out was wicked.  You said you were going down with this song, well, at least it didn’t drag you down any further.

last.fm ($500)
Suspyre/Distant Skies
Pretty good track.  The keyboard tone in the main melody is too, weak, soft... almost a nasally quality.  Guitar solo was really good, and the rest of the song gave me a Royal Hunt vibe.  Not sure why last.fm says they are like Eumeria or Beyond the Bridge.  Not even close.  It was happy power metal.

Current Results:
February – Lowdz, bosk, lonestar, jjrock  :topscore:

Feb – Bolsters, kirksnosehair, last.fm, Elite    :yeahright
Febtober – zook, nekov, TAC, wolfking    :score:

Rankings:
Lowdz - $900
Bolsters - $800
bosk - $600
lonestar - $400
jjrock - $400
Nekov - $200
TAC - $200
wolfking - $0
kirksnosehair - $-200
Zook - $-500
Elite - $-500
last.fm - $-600

Roulettes can be a funny thing.  I was chatting with shmegland last night (early this morning really), and said that sometimes you can get right in the zone (as he and I did in Elite’s roulette), or it can be like trying to undo a bra for the first time.
Lowdz is clearly in the zone, going 3-for-3... and he is the only one that still has a $500 bet at their disposal.  Bolster’s hit a bit of a roadblock this round; jj and RJ got themselves back into the competition, as did our Sith Lord nailing the audio daily double.  Barry.... sorry to put you right on the money cut-line for the 2nd time Barry.  The other boys just edged you out again, and wolf erased everything he earned last round.

Round 6 results will come no later than Thursday morning.  Fire away!

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: jingle.boy's Roulette v2 - Rd 5 Results... it's 'moving day'
« Reply #477 on: January 18, 2014, 12:58:10 PM »
Suspyre... happy power metal? I'm not super familiar with them, but I never heard that, personally.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #478 on: January 18, 2014, 01:26:07 PM »
Suspyre... happy power metal? I'm not super familiar with them, but I never heard that, personally.

That's the vibe I got from that track.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #479 on: January 18, 2014, 03:44:31 PM »
Sweet, I'm getting closer to my real life debt!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #480 on: January 18, 2014, 04:16:09 PM »
or it can be like trying to undo a bra for the first time.

Great analogy :lol:
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #481 on: January 18, 2014, 04:26:38 PM »
I was worried. Alter Bridge were never my thing but that track and plenty off the new album are excellent.

That Stryper album is really good.

I really like Virgin Steele too. They just needed a bigger budget to do justice to David DeFis' vision. Oh, and a better guitarist.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #482 on: January 18, 2014, 05:39:41 PM »
I ought to check out Virgin Steele, I loved David Defies in Avantasia.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Took a long time to get rolling.  Great guitar riff, followed by prog metal goodness.  Really technical. It felt compositionally challenged; overall, it didn't flow very well together for me... Like the pieces of the songs were haphazardly stitched together.  I really enjoyed all the individual pieces, but as a whole, it just left me feeling a little limp.
You crazy.

I'll be sending the next one later tonight.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
You crazy.

I'll be sending the next one later tonight.

You broke even at least!

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
You crazy.
You broke even at least!
Doesn't mean you're not crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, or WACKO. :-*

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #486 on: January 18, 2014, 09:22:52 PM »
Or as jingle.daughter would say .... "cray cray"

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #487 on: January 18, 2014, 11:00:49 PM »
Hmmmm, decision time....do I go safe and try to win even though I'm pretty much out, or do I test the waters and see if I can blow you away with something risky....

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #488 on: January 19, 2014, 02:00:43 AM »
It's a shame that Virgin Steele is so unknown; excellent band and Burning of Rome is one of my all time favorite songs. Chad, they have a large discography but I'm confident you would be a big fan.

Stryper is awesome. They are on a major roll right now and their latest release is amazing.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #489 on: January 19, 2014, 02:50:15 AM »
Wow, I just lost everything.  No regrets as Trumpets is possibly my fav song of all time.  That's the way it goes.