Author Topic: jingle.boy's Roulette v2 - That's all she wrote folks...another happy ending  (Read 75726 times)

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: jingle.boy's Roulette v2 - Rd 3: This ... is ... Jingle.Jeopardy
« Reply #280 on: January 06, 2014, 06:15:24 PM »
My copy of Frontiers has both Ask The Lonely and Only The Young. ???   Perhaps it's a reissue?

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #281 on: January 06, 2014, 06:15:43 PM »
Yeah.... but.... it's got Steve Augeri on the mic!?!?  I have the Journey 2001 DVD, and man, that was painful the watch.  Not so much the performances, but Steve trying to be more Perry than Augeri; the crowd acting and looking like a bunch of '80s teenagers, when they were '00 adults.  It was comical, and I just have trouble taking that lineup seriously.
Well I haven't seen that DVD, since I'm not really into live CDs/DVDs much at all, so I can't comment on that. But from what you've said, Steve Augeri on disc and Steve Augeri live must be very different. He was a pretty good fit for the band and the music on the albums he appears, and I never had any problem with him. Maybe it's different live when he's singing Perry songs.

My copy of Frontiers has both Ask The Lonely and Only The Young. ???   Perhaps it's a reissue?
Yeah it is. The reissue of Frontiers has four extra tracks. bl5150 is right too, those tracks do make what was an already good album and make it better.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #282 on: January 06, 2014, 06:16:54 PM »

That would be the 2006 reissue - neither were on the original.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #283 on: January 06, 2014, 06:19:17 PM »
Ah, that explains it.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #284 on: January 06, 2014, 06:31:21 PM »
Well I haven't seen that DVD, since I'm not really into live CDs/DVDs much at all, so I can't comment on that. But from what you've said, Steve Augeri on disc and Steve Augeri live must be very different. He was a pretty good fit for the band and the music on the albums he appears, and I never had any problem with him. Maybe it's different live when he's singing Perry songs.

Consider yourself lucky.  It was comical.  Mrs.jingle and I were laughing out loud at some parts.  I just YT'd a clip or two, and while Steve doesn't sound that bad, I just can't get past his getup and whole attitude.  And Castronovoa in those sweats is like he's just given up on life!!  They don't sound that bad, but their image that night was as if they mailed it in.

Perhaps I'll give arrival a listen with just my ears.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #285 on: January 06, 2014, 07:00:51 PM »
I dug him and when I saw them with Foreigner live he sounded great but his voice just gave out on him as time went on.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #286 on: January 06, 2014, 07:09:29 PM »
I have the Journey 2001 DVD, and man, that was painful the watch.  Not so much the performances, but Steve trying to be more Perry than Augeri; the crowd acting and looking like a bunch of '80s teenagers, when they were '00 adults.  It was comical, and I just have trouble taking that lineup seriously.

Wait, what?  Just...what?  ???
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #287 on: January 06, 2014, 08:07:47 PM »
Takin it over to the Journey thread to continue the discussion.

And you guys are making this round difficult as shit.  Not only will some excellent songs not be winning their wager, but some very good songs will be losing it.  I will say this though, last.fm gave me a stinker of a recommendation, so you all dodged a bullet there.  I don't think anyone wants to lose to a computer algorithm.

Solid, solid set of tunes.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #288 on: January 07, 2014, 12:56:58 PM »
I know for sure a couple of the winning/losing songs.  Anyone interested in preliminary results, or should I just wait and give 'em all at the same time?

Online Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #289 on: January 07, 2014, 12:59:58 PM »
All at the same time is better
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #290 on: January 07, 2014, 03:00:06 PM »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #291 on: January 08, 2014, 05:35:16 AM »
Do whatever you want. I can live with knowing ahead of others whether I failed or not.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #292 on: January 08, 2014, 05:59:31 AM »
You could always post the song that made the best first impression after one round of listens, or something like that.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #293 on: January 08, 2014, 08:18:55 AM »
Or you could troll the shit out of everyone like you usually do. :p

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #294 on: January 08, 2014, 08:32:35 AM »
Or you could troll the shit out of everyone like you usually do. :p

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #295 on: January 08, 2014, 12:51:32 PM »
:impatient:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #297 on: January 08, 2014, 12:58:41 PM »
I was thinking about changing the code to :chad: but I think I'll wait until after results come out. 

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #298 on: January 08, 2014, 12:59:01 PM »
Saved to emote folder.

Online Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #299 on: January 08, 2014, 01:11:22 PM »
Results :soon: ?
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #300 on: January 08, 2014, 02:21:07 PM »
I was thinking about changing the code to :chad: but I think I'll wait until after results come out.

It is a perfect name for it though

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #301 on: January 08, 2014, 02:26:13 PM »
Saved to emote folder.

Ditto

It is a perfect name for it though

:kimjongil:

hhhmmmm ... didn't work.  Maybe I need to change me avatar back?

Was just coming in to post that results are coming tonight.  Some may wish they were careful for what they asked for.

:lemmeseeurwarface:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #302 on: January 08, 2014, 03:05:57 PM »
:kimjongil:

Hmm... :justjen

kimjongil

kimjongle

kimjingle

boy.jingle

jingle.boy

:omg:  I knew it!  Chad = Kim Jong Il!  He be Ilin'!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #303 on: January 08, 2014, 03:08:04 PM »
I knew something was up when the Bruins flew to Korea to play the Maple Leafs..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #305 on: January 08, 2014, 04:07:55 PM »
I've got the band and album, but I am so TORN between two songs..

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #307 on: January 08, 2014, 06:16:47 PM »
Results around 10:30pm ET.  Writeups are done, but I still have 3 songs vying for 2 money spots.  Since I'm deeply committed to WPaPU, I'll re-listen at 10 to make the final judgment.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #308 on: January 08, 2014, 08:52:13 PM »
Not gonna troll anyone this time around.  Find where you are, find your writeup, or just jump right to the bottom to see if you're up, down, or even.  I'll tell you this, there wasn't a single song that I didn't enjoy this round.  I can't believe I had to not award money to some, and take away from others.  The quality this round was top shelf baby!  Well done to all.

:clap:

Songs/writeups are sorted by the amount you wagered.

zook:
Iced Earth/Dante's Inferno - I bought Live in Athens on the advice of the board a long time ago.  Tried watching it once, and couldn't get thru the first 30 minutes.  This was a pretty good tune, reminded me of Rime of the Ancient Mariner at times... except for the part of being awesome  :lol.  The heavy moments of this song were just too samey imo.  While this did change my opinion of Iced Earth, there were still too many parts I was just 'meh' on.

lonestar:
Tesseract/Of Mind: Nocturne - I'm not really sure what "Melodic djent" means, but this was an excellent tune.  Loved the guitar tone, and vocally it was top notch.  Will definitely be checking out this 4-song album.

wolfking:
Black Sabbath/Computer God - just like Headless Cross in my last roulette, there was absolutely nothing wrong with this tune, but I wasn't overly impressed either.  The first 4 minutes were a little slow and uneventful, but the final 2 minutes were fantastic, and nearly saved the overall experience.  Maybe Sabbath just isn't for me. :-\

Elite:
Jeff Buckley/Grace - lots of talent and excellent song-writing here.  You can just hear the beauty in the music.  But alas, as is the case in any race, there are winners, and there are losers. :|

kirksnosehair:
7 Months/Unspoken Words - I love me my power ballads.  On first listen, I was wow'd by this.  Subsequent listens didn't leave me with the same wow factor, but still loved the tune.  I think it was the first 3 verses (starts off a little to melancholy for me) is what started to turn me off a bit.  Lyrically, it was great, but the vocal delivery was awkward at times.  But then like any great power ballad, the guitar solo was out of this world.

Lowdz:
Brazen Abbot/Eye of the Storm - loved the little guitar wail's.  Fantastic solo, great pace to this song.  Upbeat, but not from a frantic rhythm section.  And with Joe Lynn Turner on the mic... fantastic.  After a bit of research, quite the list of vocalists have contributed here - Lande, Hughes, Harnell.... Will definitely be investigating.

Nekov:
Yargos/The Guilded Cage - "Win if you can; lose if you must; but always cheat".  Love Mac's voice for sure.  Just the opposite of Unspoken Words, I was underwhelmed on first listen, but the just got better and better with every listen.  The melody really had a 'pick-me-up' je ne sais quoi to it.  Keyboard perfectly complimented the guitars.

jjrock88:
Leatherwolf/Thunder - ahhh... the pitfalls of YouTube.  YT quality sucked ass, so I had to go out and buy it.  Lucky I did, as this is a really good tune.  Great bass riff to drive the tune, and really nice guitar riffs throughout.

last.fm:
Dare/King of Spades - The computer algorithm failed horribly this round, giving me a ballad, and not even a power ballad.  It wasn't bad, but it wasn't terribly good either.

Bolsters:
Stratovarious/Unbreakable - for all the times I've tried to get into Strat (I have Episode and Fright Night), I just couldn't.  Something never clicked.  Then I get this song.  Zoinks!!!  :omg: Best song of the round, without a doubt.  Perfect main guitar riff, perfect backing vocal elements, perfect symphonic touches.  Nailed it.

TAC:
Lost Horizon/Cry of a Restless Soul - Dayum.  After a slow spoken part, this grabs you by the short and curlies, and doesn't let go.  Unlike Eye of the Storm, this does have a frantic rhythm section, in a good - nay, great - way.  :birch:

Bosk1:
Dave Miniketti/Storm - Solid, solid tune.  Killer solo in the middle of it with some really neat effects.  I loved it alright, just wasn't "gaga" for it.  It wasn't "Pam".  "Paaaaam".

Win
Bolsters +$500
TAC +$500
nekov +$300
Lowdz +$300

Lose
last.fm -$400
zook -$100
wolfking -$200
Elite -$200

Draw
Bosk1 $0 (bet $500)
lonestar $0 (bet $200)
jjrock88 $0 (bet $300)
kirksnosehair $0 (bet $300)

Next round... results will be posted no later than Tuesday the 14th.  It's football weekend, and first day back to work (after a 3 week vacation) on Monday.

Edit - fix'd TAC's bet.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 09:03:13 PM by jingle.boy »

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: jingle.boy's Roulette v2 - Rd 3: Results - win, lose or draw?
« Reply #309 on: January 08, 2014, 09:12:08 PM »
Even Steven

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #310 on: January 08, 2014, 09:13:42 PM »
Best song of the round, without a doubt. 
:hat

Next round will be on its way later tonight probably. Got the band in mind, just having trouble deciding on a song.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #311 on: January 08, 2014, 09:25:33 PM »
Side note:

Bosk1:
Dave Miniketti/Storm - Solid, solid tune.  Killer solo in the middle of it with some really neat effects.  I loved it alright, just wasn't "gaga" for it.  It wasn't "Pam".  "Paaaaam".

That's no "effect."  It's all fingers.  He does it on a Les Paul by turning the volume all the way down on the neck pickup (so it is "off"), and flipping the pickup toggle switch super fast with his right hand while fretting the notes with this left.  He does it on a few songs.  Check out at about 2:53 here to see what I am talking about:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjuZzyzC7yg

I've never seen anyone else ever do that technique.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #312 on: January 08, 2014, 09:34:25 PM »
That's no "effect."  It's all fingers.  He does it on a Les Paul by turning the volume all the way down on the neck pickup (so it is "off"), and flipping the pickup toggle switch super fast with his right hand while fretting the notes with this left.  He does it on a few songs.  Check out at about 2:53 here to see what I am talking about:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjuZzyzC7yg

Tom Morello (Rage Against The Machine) used to do almost the same thing. His guitars had a 3-way pickup switch and he wired them so that the sound was off when in the middle position, and quickly flipped the switch to turn the sound on/off. I can't remember any specific songs to use an example.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #313 on: January 08, 2014, 09:52:44 PM »
Side note:

Bosk1:

Fair enough.  I used the term "effect" with extreme liberty.  I didn't mean to imply it was an artificial sound, just that it was a really cool sounding moment in the solo.  Reminded me of JP's 'boomerang' from Voices.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #314 on: January 09, 2014, 01:12:01 AM »
 :biggrin:

A few bands / songs by others I had lined up, esp jj's Leatherwolf track, Kirk's 7 Months (I had a different track waiting) and TACs Lost Horizon. Back to the drawing board there.

In regard to Brazen Abbot, Eye Of The Storm is the best of the bunch by a good distance and some albums aren't great. I'd Spotify them first.