Author Topic: BBC Rant- Ripper Street  (Read 1962 times)

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
BBC Rant- Ripper Street
« on: December 08, 2013, 09:22:23 PM »
Okay, so I just found out that the BBC cancelled Ripper Street. I really liked this show. Great story lines, superb acting, and the sets were fantastic. They really went all out to put the show and ultimately the vewer right in the Victorian era.

Apparently the show could not compete with reality drivel. Now I get the deal with ratings. They're important, but I really think this show would have continued to gain traction; but alas it was up against "I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here". They tried that show here for a few episodes once, and it just couldnt fly. Probably lost out on ratings to "Survivor" or some other bullshit reality show. I guess that the Brits proud stoicism in the face of personal suffering was just too appealing to keep them away. I mean what better fun than watching someone else be uncomfortable?

But it is this love of "reality TV shit" that is ruining any type of creativity in the medium of television. The BBC plans to now find programming that can compete with "IACGMOOH" (ITV). So Brits will have some new form of "reality" jism to soak up now. I had long ago given up all hope in America's addiction to this garbage. I blame MTV's "Real World" generation with creating this "gateway drug" to TV Hell.

Now even my my own wife is hooked somewhat. I love my wife. She is gorgeous, smart, funny, my lover and friend. But she watches "Real Housewives of (Insert City Name Here)", "Basketball Wives", the "Kardashians", and "Shahs of Sunset".  :| This is an intelligent woman. I cannot fathom her interest in this crap. I also cannot be in the house with her when she watches it. So we took one of our bedrooms and created a TV/reading room just for her, where she can record and watch this mess. When I ask this beautiful creature why she watches it she tells me, "Because while I'm watching it I don't have to think. About anything."  :( I'm afraid that in 20-30 years from now that because she watches this stuff she won't be ABLE to think. Maybe that's what the TV giants are going for. It takes no creativity at all to produce a program that makes your audience not think about anything.

Perhaps I could start writing books like that. Just a random jumble of words to fill all the pages. I mean as long as the reader can just read words and not have to think about them. Hmmm...maybe I'm on to something here. On second thought, Stephanie Meyer and Dan Brown have already beaten me to that premise. Maybe they can team up with the BBC to come up with another mind destroying, engaging reality show.

In the mean time we've lost a really good show in my opinion. Thanks BBC. And thanks humanity for your mind numbing gluttony.

Why is it that Fahrenheit 451 reads more and more like a current affairs tome and less like a work of fiction?
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: BBC Rant- Ripper Street
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 09:41:13 PM »
My wife fits your description of your wife to a tee.....and she watches the EXACT SAME SHOWS your wife does. Only, her response to me when asking why she watches is "I have no idea?" She can't explain it and even says she "hates" it but you can be sure that one of those shows are on she will be watching it.

Now, I have my shows I like that she doesn't understand, TWD being one of them...but those "a reality" shows on Bravo are horrid. I still find myself watching 'Survivor' largely due to an office pool for each season, but other than that I don't consistently watch a reality series.

I'll go for some 'American Pickers' if I see it on...."Deadliest Catch", a coupe of those Alaska frontier shows are neat to watch but I don't DVR any of them. Just watch them when I happen to see them on.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 10:21:39 PM »
But it is this love of "reality TV shit" that is ruining any type of creativity in the medium of television.

I'm sorry, but what? I can't think of any time where TV has been more respected as an artistic medium than right now.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 10:27:42 PM »
But it is this love of "reality TV shit" that is ruining any type of creativity in the medium of television.

I'm sorry, but what? I can't think of any time where TV has been more respected as an artistic medium than right now.

I think you're both right. There's a greater divide between the best and worst of TV now. There have been a lot of excellent TV shows recently, but it's also balanced out by a ton of crap, and the crap often endures longer than the good stuff, because the crap is cheap and easy to produce, and it's popular because it appeals to the lowest common denominator.
And good scifi has been relatively scarce on TV lately, because it's much more of an initial investment for sets and effects, so networks don't seem to want to gamble on it when they can just wheel out the same reality shows all year round without needing to change a thing.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 04:41:48 AM »
Yeah, I think Blob's got it.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 04:47:20 AM »
The pathetic thing is that "reality" TV is as scripted as regular TV.  There's just no thought put in to it, nor any talent to deliver it, nor any planning for set design or wardrobe etc... .  So, it's regular TV, but without any of the good parts.

Blob's absolutely right... the divide between good/great and tripe is very large today.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 05:05:32 AM »
The pathetic thing is that "reality" TV is as scripted as regular TV.  There's just no thought put in to it, nor any talent to deliver it, nor any planning for set design or wardrobe etc... .  So, it's regular TV, but without any of the good parts.

It's scripted TV with more mundane scenarios, worse acting, and less interesting "characters". And because it's scripted, it's still just as predictable as any other show too.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 05:39:13 AM »
Couldn't agree more TempusVox. The latest series of Ripper Street has got better with every episode, by far the best programme on British television at the moment. I read an interview with Drake (Jerome Flynn) who said that the cast were shocked that it had been axed - I'll try and dig it out. I think the problem with the ratings was partially brought about by the decision after series 1 to move it from Sunday night (which always attracts more viewers) to Monday. Such a shame.

EDIT: Here's a couple of articles

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/10494860/Cast-in-shock-as-BBC-axes-Ripper-Street.html
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2013/dec/04/ripper-street-cancelled-bbc

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 05:45:31 AM »
Still waiting on a pizza delivery boy reality show.

Complete with the buyer shown opening the door from the inside.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 05:58:20 AM »
Still waiting on a pizza delivery boy reality show.

Complete with the buyer shown opening the door from the inside.

Boom-chicka waaa-waa!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2013, 05:58:57 AM »
:symphonyx: :zydar:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2013, 06:09:39 AM »
I agree with Blob on the great divide in TV quality.  I feel the same with movies in that the great indie films are barely on the big screen and only block buster I-Max films are easily assessable.

Another problem I see in TV is that TV shows are not allowed to grow and they need to hit it out of the park right away.  Most first seasons of any TV show is an adjustment period.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2013, 07:25:43 AM »
Another problem I see in TV is that TV shows are not allowed to grow and they need to hit it out of the park right away.  Most first seasons of any TV show is an adjustment period.

No kidding. I watched an episode from Seinfelds inaugural season the other day, may have been the pilot....either way, it was ROUGH. not nearly as witty or funny as the latter seasons.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2013, 01:58:11 PM »

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2013, 09:59:28 AM »
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/10511360/Ripper-Street-to-return.html

Ripper Street to return?

Only last week, Ripper Street was axed due to poor ratings. But it now looks set to return, as the BBC says it is "looking at partnerships that could enable Ripper Street to return but at better value to licence fee payers."

According to BleedingCool.com, the BBC and the makers of the Victorian crime drama are said to be in talks with LoveFilm about funding a third series.
Hints of a recomission come after the show's star Myanna Buring praised an online petition for the series to return. “We’ve all been really touched,” she said at the Moët British Independent Film Awards, and added that more people should sign the petition. “Power to the people, we can do this,” she said.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2013, 11:33:44 PM »
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/10511360/Ripper-Street-to-return.html

Ripper Street to return?

Only last week, Ripper Street was axed due to poor ratings. But it now looks set to return, as the BBC says it is "looking at partnerships that could enable Ripper Street to return but at better value to licence fee payers."

According to BleedingCool.com, the BBC and the makers of the Victorian crime drama are said to be in talks with LoveFilm about funding a third series.
Hints of a recomission come after the show's star Myanna Buring praised an online petition for the series to return. “We’ve all been really touched,” she said at the Moët British Independent Film Awards, and added that more people should sign the petition. “Power to the people, we can do this,” she said.

Wow!! Hope it makes it!
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."