Author Topic: The Thanksgiving Day Thread v. gooble goble!  (Read 3620 times)

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
The Thanksgiving Day Thread v. gooble goble!
« on: November 27, 2013, 10:15:25 AM »
The last Turktation of the Passionate Butterball

Today is my last day as a Turkey. Tomorrow a cleaver with plunge down hard on my neck line leaving me dancing(without the stars) around my living room until I fall to the ground. At that point I will have my feathers plucked and I will be thoroughly cleaned and prepped to be thrown in the oven. I will be slathered with butter and herbs and I will be looking fine! After about 3 hours I will emerge from the oven with one hell of a tan! Don't be jealous now. Then I will sit on the counter in what I like to call Turkey purgatory as I await my carving. Once I am slapped on the plate with side dishes I will be all the rage! I will NOT be dry! I will not go out like that! I will be juicy and flavorful and reminiscent of how I lived my life. Then I will summon the God of Turkey and ask him to graciously allow me some final words! If granted I will utter them for all to hear!
Eat me!

I wish you all a happy and blessed Thanksgiving with glorious food and drink and time with friends and family!

Don't over cook the bird! Use a digital thermometer plunged into the breast and set to 165 degrees!

Visit a native American in a nursing home and read them a book about the glory and splendor of Thanksgiving!

Lastly... make sure the people you love know that you do! Life is short so stay the hell out of Walmart tomorrow!

Happy Thanksgiving, DTF!!! :tick2: :metal
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone

Offline senecadawg2

Re: The Thanksgiving Day Thread v. gooble goble!
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 10:46:00 AM »
Tofurky time!

(not really though, that stuff is nasty)
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 10:54:51 AM »
Tofurky time!

*snip*

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 11:02:15 AM »
Tofurky time!

*snip*

Agreed. In fact, I can't say that I like any Thanksgiving food much. For me it's always been a massive collection of mediocre-to-good dishes. I'd rather just have one or two excellent dishes.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 11:25:20 AM »
Tofurky time!

I will recommend you be banned for posting that picture!...or at least warned?

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 11:42:25 AM »
Are those ants crawling around in the middle?

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 11:43:48 AM »
Are those ants crawling around in the middle?
Mind as well be. Who cares, no one is eating that pile of crap. :tick2:

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 11:50:27 AM »

Agreed.  Warning issued.  Along with a warning to the thread starter for doing a Thanksgiving thread and failing to include the most important Thanksgiving tradition of all:  getting ready for Black Friday!  :victorydance:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 11:57:53 AM »

Agreed.  Warning issued.  Along with a warning to the thread starter for doing a Thanksgiving thread and failing to include the most important Thanksgiving tradition of all:  getting ready for Black Friday!  :victorydance:

Or the fact that it's just another weekend for the rest of the world.

:merica:   ;)
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 12:03:14 PM »
Black Friday is an evil word here in this Wal Mart DC I work in!

Curse you Dark Helmet! :getoffmylawn:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2013, 12:10:02 PM »

The only thing I am preparing for is my gig on Black Friday where I will kick some ass!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2013, 12:13:17 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7v-LQsQKoY
:lol

Peter MacNicol kills me in this movie.  Between this and Ghostbusters II, I'll never be able to look at him in a serious role without hearing... "Vy am I drippings vith goo?"

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2013, 12:52:01 PM »
Can I just say..... what in the blue hell is up with green bean casserole? How did this abomination infest its way on to the Thanksgiving day menu??
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2013, 01:29:35 PM »
Tis rather nasty, just go with some good green beans almondine instead.

We got about 2000 peeps showing up for thanksgiving dinner tomorrow, gonna suck big time.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2013, 01:30:49 PM »
Tis rather nasty, just go with some good green beans almondine instead.

We got about 2000 peeps showing up for thanksgiving dinner tomorrow, gonna suck big time.
Yeah, I like do a simple olive oil and garlic string beans.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2013, 01:33:18 PM »
Green bean casserole is just an overkill of heaviness on a day already filled with heavy foods. Plus, why fuck up a good vegetable by drowning it in a heavy cream sauce.....

Wait, did I just say that?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2013, 02:03:13 PM »

That must suck.  I would being a chef on Thanksgiving.  ...well, other than the pay.  :lol

My boss is actually showing up there with her family and boyfriend.  Can I tell her to ask for you?  Hook me up, bro?  :bribery:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2013, 02:25:02 PM »
Green bean casserole is just an overkill of heaviness on a day already filled with heavy foods. Plus, why fuck up a good vegetable by drowning it in a heavy cream sauce.....

The problem arises when people equate heavy cream sauce with a can of Campbell's Cream of fucking mushroom soup. Personally, I enjoy most casseroles, including green bean, but then I know how to make a freaking sauce. There's also a certain nostalgia aspect to it.

Frankly, it's the stupid-ass turkey that's always the weak link in a Thanksgiving meal; sorry-ass birds. As a single guy, I get to go small.  It's Cornish game hen for me, and since this is Texas, chorizo and jalapeno cornbread stuffing.

And black Friday is just another example of how we've totally ruined the holidays over here. Thanksgiving and Christmas used to be pleasant. Now we've just made them exhausting and stressful. Aside from the fact that I get to drive like a lunatic since all the cops are guarding parking lots, there's really nothing pleasant at all about having to get out this time of year. Stores are crowded. You've heard every Christmas carol too many times to enjoy them anymore. Commercials calling you a loser if you don't buy your wife a stupidly overpriced ring (or for us single guys a bigger TV). It's starting to appear that people have actually been conditioned to think they enjoy rampant consumerism, despite how much of a PITA it is this time of year.

Anyhoo, I actually go out of my way to eliminate as much stress as possible by planing ahead and blowing off most of the so-called tradition. I'll chill all day and watch football, let family members feed me, and have nothing whatsoever to do over the weekend since I largely ignore Christmas. So, everybody enjoy Thanksgiving and try to not actually work for a change.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2013, 02:37:57 PM »
...and since this is Texas, chorizo and jalapeno cornbread stuffing.

Yum!  ...and it doesn't have to be Texas.  That would be amazing anywhere:biggrin:

And black Friday is just another example of how we've totally ruined the holidays over here.

I was joking about the Black Friday part, just to take a good-natured jab at Tick, given his past rants about it. 

...although, that being said, on the occasions when I do go out on Black Friday, I generally have fun with it.  I don't go after the "big ticket" items that lunatics line up and fight for, like the 5 big screen TVs in the entire Walmart store.  But it's fun to sit around after the Thanksgiving meal and thumb through the ads to see if there are good deals on things I would actually buy for people.  And if a given store has a few items I am interested in so that it's actually worth going, I might go, knowing the place will be packed, but also knowing I'm not in a rush either and can take my time and get home whenever I get home.  For some strange reason that I can't explain, I actually find it calming to be out in the middle of the night in a sea of people and not feel any sense of urgency to have to get anywhere quickly.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2013, 03:02:41 PM »

That must suck.  I would being a chef on Thanksgiving.  ...well, other than the pay.  :lol

My boss is actually showing up there with her family and boyfriend.  Can I tell her to ask for you?  Hook me up, bro?  :bribery:

They're probably doing the brunch, I will have little to do with that half. Plus, I'm gonna be so busy, my own mother wouldn't get hooked up.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2013, 12:50:20 AM »

They're probably doing the brunch, I will have little to do with that half. Plus, I'm gonna be so busy, my own mother wouldn't get hooked up.

So, that would be NOOOOOO then... :lol
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2013, 01:25:16 AM »
Pretty much :p

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2013, 04:47:06 AM »
...although, that being said, on the occasions when I do go out on Black Friday, I generally have fun with it.  I don't go after the "big ticket" items that lunatics line up and fight for, like the 5 big screen TVs in the entire Walmart store.  But it's fun to sit around after the Thanksgiving meal and thumb through the ads to see if there are good deals on things I would actually buy for people.  And if a given store has a few items I am interested in so that it's actually worth going, I might go, knowing the place will be packed, but also knowing I'm not in a rush either and can take my time and get home whenever I get home.  For some strange reason that I can't explain, I actually find it calming to be out in the middle of the night in a sea of people and not feel any sense of urgency to have to get anywhere quickly.
We've done Black Friday several times with the same experience.  We had fun with it and enjoyed it.  But we haven't done it in the past several years.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2013, 04:55:22 AM »

The problem arises when people equate heavy cream sauce with a can of Campbell's Cream of fucking mushroom soup. Personally, I enjoy most casseroles, including green bean, but then I know how to make a freaking sauce. There's also a certain nostalgia aspect to it.

Frankly, it's the stupid-ass turkey that's always the weak link in a Thanksgiving meal; sorry-ass birds. As a single guy, I get to go small.  It's Cornish game hen for me, and since this is Texas, chorizo and jalapeno cornbread stuffing.

And black Friday is just another example of how we've totally ruined the holidays over here. Thanksgiving and Christmas used to be pleasant. Now we've just made them exhausting and stressful. Aside from the fact that I get to drive like a lunatic since all the cops are guarding parking lots, there's really nothing pleasant at all about having to get out this time of year. Stores are crowded. You've heard every Christmas carol too many times to enjoy them anymore. Commercials calling you a loser if you don't buy your wife a stupidly overpriced ring (or for us single guys a bigger TV). It's starting to appear that people have actually been conditioned to think they enjoy rampant consumerism, despite how much of a PITA it is this time of year.

Anyhoo, I actually go out of my way to eliminate as much stress as possible by planing ahead and blowing off most of the so-called tradition. I'll chill all day and watch football, let family members feed me, and have nothing whatsoever to do over the weekend since I largely ignore Christmas. So, everybody enjoy Thanksgiving and try to not actually work for a change.
Turkey done right rocks! Thick nasty green beans are unnecessary!
We've done Black Friday several times with the same experience.  We had fun with it and enjoyed it.  But we haven't done it in the past several years.
I would kindly ask that you locate the nearest Black Friday thread and continue your thoughts there, cause this is the chop Turkeys heads off and eat them thread!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2013, 05:14:07 AM »
My bad, Tick.  Won't happen again, buddy.  :biggrin:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2013, 05:18:30 AM »
My bad, Tick.  Won't happen again, buddy.  :biggrin:
Thanks Heffy! :police:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2013, 05:19:16 AM »
I would rather eat my own pancreas then shop on Black Friday.

Gobble Gobble.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2013, 05:20:30 AM »
I would rather eat my own pancreas then shop on Black Friday.

Gobble Gobble.
What wine would you pair that with? I'm thinking a nice Chardonnay?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2013, 05:21:33 AM »
My pairing would be with a strong Ale.  I'm no Nancy drinking wine.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2013, 05:24:18 AM »
My pairing would be with a strong Ale.  I'm no Nancy drinking wine.
Me either! I'm a hearty Sam Adams guy!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2013, 05:26:19 AM »
We are having 2 beers my brother and I brewed.  One is a Russian Imperial Stout 11 months since we kegged it, (The longer you wait the better) and a beer we brewed in honor of my mom a Belgian Wit.  Can't wait to share it with our family!

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2013, 06:17:58 AM »
Happy Turkey day DTF'ers!!!!  I'm with King....  come black friday I don't wanna leave the house  :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2013, 07:44:01 AM »
Enjoy your day, guys! :tup And remember, if you can fit in more food, you're not done yet. :biggrin:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.