Author Topic: Can I just...can I just PLEASE say one thing about comforting people in grief?  (Read 2682 times)

Offline Ħ

I absolutely feel like this needs to be said. Here's three things you should never say to a person in grief.

1. "I know how you feel. [insert what happened to me here]."

It's not about you. And even if your situation is the same, even if you lost the same exact thing as the person you're consoling, the grief is different. Everyone grieves differently. So don't compare losses.

2. "Stay strong."

People need time to heal, for goodness sake. It's not helpful in the slightest to tell someone to "pull it together" when they need time to grieve.

3. "Let me know if you want to talk"/"Let me know if you need anything."

People in shock don't know what they need. Offer your services instead.

That is all.  :angel:

I'm no counseling guru, so if you have any objections, let's hear 'em.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni

Only problem is, I don't know what they need, either.  :(
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Ħ

Then maybe a "What do you need?" is in order, rather than a "Let me know..."
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
Perhaps.  I don't know.  I'm certainly no expert.  I've been in the position where I was trying to comfort people close to me who were going through grief, and I just felt helpless.  Everything I could think of to say felt like the wrong thing to say.  I'm not sure there's a right thing to say, y'know?

Of course, some things are less helpful than others, so I do totally understand where you're coming from.  "Stay strong" is almost a slap in the face in some situations. 
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 12:42:51 AM by Jaffa »
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
"I'm sorry to hear that.  I don't know how you feel, and I won't tell you to stay strong, but I offer you my services"

nailed it

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
I don't think it's yours or anyone elses place to establish rules on how to comfort grieving people.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Man, talk about nitpicking semantics.

Let's be perfectly honest, no one knows how anyone ever truly feels, in grieving or otherwise. And it's irrelevant - the comfort is in knowing that someone is empathizing with you, not whether or not they actually KNOW how you feel. Unless they go off the rails talking about their own experiences, I see nothing wrong with that.

Stay strong isn't about telling someone to buck up and get over it, it's a form of encouragement. Like a "you can do this man, I know you can".

YOU JUST SAID THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY NEED

Seriously H, I love you, but you're trying to logically interpret cliched english phrases. That alone is an exercise in futility, let alone when they touch on things that are very serious. Grief is an incredibly complex emotion and human interaction is an incredibly complex system, trying to just lay things out in absolute terms is just silly.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
What's the point of this thread?  People grieve differently and people approach the situation of grieving people differently too.  Some people feel awkward in that sort of situation and aren't very comforting no matter what.  Other people know exactly what to say.

I find your first point valid.  But at the same time, if the situation is exactly the same, the grieving person might like to know that to understand how you coped with it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Personally, I'm very bad at comforting people, precisely because I don't know what they're feeling. All I know is that when someone close is feeling bad, the best thing I can do is either make them feel loved or make them a little happy in one way or another.

Then again, when I'm feeling down, the best thing I can do to help myself is talk to someone about it. That works for me - and I always hope it works for others as well. But like I said, I'm very bad at this.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Me personally, I would want to be left alone.  I'll talk to someone when I'm ready.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Just tell people how you really feel. Someone in grief is likely not going to be comforted by anything you say. Grief tends to do that. Still better than not saying anything at all.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Different people grieve differently.  Trying to put them all in the same boat with "Do this, don't do that" lists is somewhat defeatist.  Yes, it's true that some people might not appreciate the "I know how you feel" line, but most people don't mind - and most situations aren't THAT unique that no one can relate to it.  If you really know the person, you already know how to play your cards and you're not resorting to clichés.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
Why do people on the internet feel the urge to legislate the actions of others with what they deem acceptable behavior?
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
IMO, Dog and Sigz nailed it.

H... what would your advice on what people SHOULD do be?

I look at Super Dude's thread about losing a close friend this week, and while it is often difficult/impossible to find the "right" words to say, saying something is better than nothing.  Isn't knowing that others care about you in your time of grief meaningful, regardless of what or how they say it?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
There isn't one single correct way of trying to provide comfort, people have different things to offer and grieving people have different needs.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Overall, the reason people say things such as this is because they don't know WTF else to say. Those are always awkward chats that neither party really wants to have, and people are always overcautious about saying the wrong thing. It's understandable that they stick with with the tried and true expressions.

Personally, I never understood the tendency to want to call somebody as soon as you hear there was a bad situation. My mom would always call and say "so and so just croaked, you need to call whosis right away and offer your sympathies." Wrong. Don't call somebody the same day their father just bought it. If you're somebody whose sympathy they really need they'll call you (under the guise of making sure you know what happened). I try to wait until the next day, when they've had a night's sleep and have gotten past the shell-shock.

As for me, I always go with "let me know if there's anything I can do to help." Everybody I'm close to already knows that I'm the man in that regard, but it's still worth reminding people.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't think we need to coddle the greiving by walking on eggshells around them. Having to acknowledge other people's perspectives is all part of the process of healing.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price

I would say that "let me know if you need anything" is basically the exact same goddamn thing as "what do you need?", except less demanding.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
I absolutely feel like this needs to be said. Here's three things you should never say to a person in grief.

It's not about you. And even if your situation is the same, even if you lost the same exact thing as the person you're consoling, the grief is different. Everyone grieves differently. So don't compare losses.

2. "Stay strong."

People need time to heal, for goodness sake. It's not helpful in the slightest to tell someone to "pull it together" when they need time to grieve.

I'm curious what prompted you to write this at this time? (edited to say, pretty sure I know why at this point)

I think people who are grieving understand how awkward it is for those trying there best to comfort them. I think they have been in the same boat trying to search for the proper things to say.

I personally usually tell people in theses situations. "I know their are no words I can say to make you better at the moment but I love you and I am so sorry for your pain."
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
This thread strikes me as being a needlessly frustrating exercise in expectations for others but in the interest of discussion:

While I might find the things other people say as cringe worthy or outside my subjective opinion of good taste I prefer to think in terms of intent. For example; should I lose someone close to me to a freak accident and post it here I would expect to hear everything from the statistics for everyone to experience such an incident to promises to pray for me. Now, while my personal philosophy would cause me to give more weight to the former I still choose to be emotionally comforted by the intent of the latter. Why? Because the person offering the prayer is providing what they see as the most profound of sympathy and support. If that's what they believe is the most helpful of support, why wouldn't I want them to be able to express it and accept it in the spirit given?

I would hope others I try to comfort will give me the same benefit of the doubt when I offer my clumsy attempts. It only seems fair to do the same.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
You can't put form, rules, and structure on such deeply emotional times. Just go with whatever the heart feels, and be present for others.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop

Who is dog?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
my takeaway from H is that we need to speak from the heart rather than the mind when encountering people in grief

Offline senecadawg2

my takeaway from H is that we need to speak from the heart rather than the mind when encountering people in grief

Fair enough. But it is worth reiterating what someone up there ^^ said earlier, that comforting a grieving person doesn't come naturally to all of us. Sometimes you don't know what to do or say, apart from just being there. I guess the point being that it can be just as hard to speak from the heart as it is easy to speak from the mind, and sometimes it may be best to just not speak at all and try to remain supportive until the griever is ready to talk.

Who is dog?

It's your avatar. Or me. And I did nail it, but that's beside the point  :lol
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Online TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
The most important thing when comforting someone is to convey to that person that you're there for them and want to help. How you convey it is not a big deal in my experience, just get there somehow.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline emblempride

• Scammy Flammy Mammy
  • You're just like a motorcycle, too tired

2. "Stay strong."

As a person who seems to lose a close relative every year... Well... I don't mean to be rude and you seem like a nice guy, but it's kind of... I don't know how to put it.

1. Yes, it's a different experience each time and everyone grieves differently. But in the end, something or someone was lost and grief is felt. I understand that there isn't anything you can say to soothe the pain, but to be offended by someone sharing their experiences is downright selfish. It's not about comparing losses and seeing it as comparing losses will only make both parties feel worse about the whole situation. People have said similar things to me and despite losing a sister, aunt, 3 grandparents, an uncle (sadly, I could go on)... I never saw it as anything but a decent person simply saying that they've lost too, like we all do, and that I'm not and don't have to be alone. I've learned that one of the most destructive ways to react in this situation is seeing yourself as a "woe is me" victim. You aren't the one that passed and that person would definitely not want you to reject another's condolences. Obviously, this perspective is easier said that achieved, and if a person reacts this way than I know that it is of the moment, but to think this way in a general sense is selfish. There are so many other things that eat me up in these situations that to react in a way that diminishes another person's feelings is not only needless, but just hurtful. Really, what would you say to this person? "I'm sorry for your loss, I also lost _____ and it was pretty rough." "Well it was different for me so don't talk to me." Way to completely diminish the significance of that person's loss in his or her life. I get that anybody could be going through anything at anytime, but I would never reject what someone had to say out of the goodness of their heart in the hopes of enlightening perspective no matter what I'm going through.

2. So? Nobody says it in an antagonistic way. When my mother was breaking down while my sister's life faded, my Grandpa told her that she had to, "Stay strong for your children." I don't think any other sentence helped her get through that time more than that did, and it was a mindset that persisted even afterwards.

3. That is offering your services. I've done this and have been silent while the other person just let it all out. Just letting another person know that they have an outlet can be a relief, and even if it's only slight, it's worth it.

I'm sorry for what you could possibly be going through right now, but there are farrrrrrrr worse things to be complaining about and hurting others who are only trying to help is not healthy. Why, after losing someone, would you reject what someone else had to say when that person could also be gone tomorrow?
"Hey guys" - Gregg Turkington

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa

No objections here.  I think every situation is different and has its own set of circumstances and people.  The points you've made could very well be 100% valid in many situations...or....not. 

By the way, you said three things, not one  :P    ;)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

Who is dog?

Doc.  Damn typo.  Got me a case of the 'shmeglands'.  :jets:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!

Who is dog?

Doc.  Damn typo.  Got me a case of the 'shmeglands'.  :jets:

*Evil death stare*

:lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Ħ

Looks like I made a sufficient number of people unnecessarily mad. :lol

Basically what yesh and others have said, all I'm saying advocating is being there and speaking from the heart. From my observations, those three catch-phrases I put in the OP are usually in bad taste (even if they are well-meaning). One person said that you shouldn't get offended if someone says these things to you - I mean, on paper I might agree, but you have to realize that grieving people are extremely sensitive and yes, you should "walk on eggshells" if you want to respect their sensitivities.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Like I said, it's the walking on eggshells part that is exactly the reason why people stick with the old standbys.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
I just tell people fuck their weak little feelings and that they're a pitiful disgrace to the Saiyan race. Then I kill them. And if their friends and family are watching and any of them shed a single tear, I kill them too. Then I keep killing until there's just the emotionless badasses left.

Good job, Hayden.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Outcrier

Agreed.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
I just tell people fuck their weak little feelings and that they're a pitiful disgrace to the Saiyan race. Then I kill them. And if their friends and family are watching and any of them shed a single tear, I kill them too. Then I keep killing until there's just the emotionless badasses left.

WTF? :jawdrop:
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
Things like this just make people feel even more worried and anxious and nervous about what to say to a grieving person than they already do. This makes people avoid saying anything at all, and some people actually avoid the bereaved person because they are so uncomfortable with the potential intensity, isolating the grieving person and making them feel even more alone.It's terrifying for many, the worry of saying the wrong thing and making things worse, but you know what grieving people REALLY need? Just to know that you care.

I've been bereaved before, my mother died nearly three years ago. I volunteer for a suicide line, I have a counselling qualification and I've had bereavement counselling. I'm not trying to brag because I'm very much as much of a novice as anybody else in this area but that's where my opinion is coming from.

I do agree that people should never say 'I know how you feel' because you can NEVER know how somebody feels. As an example, my mother died... a friend might try and comfort me and say 'I know just how you feel, I felt that way when my mother died' but they can't know how I feel because they were different reasons for dying, different relationships between us and our parent, different life situations, everything's different. It can be a little offensive to some people for another person to say that they know how they feel, when they actually cannot know at all. The best thing to do is to try and empathetically find out what the person is feeling, calmly and without judgement, and give them space to express how they are coping and what is running through their mind. But of course, I know people usually say this because they want to comfort, they have the best of intentions.

I also agree with the 'stay strong' stuff. Man, that is frustrating. The worst thing anyone said with the best of intentions was 'pull yourself together, your mum wouldn't have wanted you to be like this because of her'... that made me feel that not only was I being pathetic, I was letting her down too. It places a lot of pressure on people to fake that they are okay when they're not, and they might feel as though they are letting the side down if they ever acknowledge how bad they feel.

When I lost my mother it took literally about six months before I started to properly, really grieve. And then it was a solid year of hell, total pain, crying so hard I couldn't breathe multiple times a week and total numbness and sorrow the rest of the time. The best thing my friends ever did for me was just to be there. I really appreciate the ones that didn't dodge it, that didn't avoid it for fear of upsetting me. Nobody who has lost someone close to them is going to have it far from their minds, so mentioning it isn't going to make  anything worse... it shows you acknowledge their grief, and that you are aware things are difficult for them. Slapping somebody on the back and taking them out to 'take their mind off it' usually is counter-productive.

All I appreciated was those people who remembered throughout those horrible eighteen months that I was probably still suffering and that while time was passing, I wasn't necessarily feeling better. It got worse and worse for months before it began to improve. I valued people talking to me about her and asking me stuff about her life and what she was like, people who wanted to see a photo of her or know her name if they'd never met her, just a simple text saying 'hey you, how are you feeling today?' meant everything to me!

There are no easy answers and people almost always mean well. I liked people coming over to hang out so I wasn't alone but also people respecting when I said I needed to be alone. It's good for people to ask 'what can I do for you?' rather than the 'if there's anything I can do, let me know', for example my best friend's mum paid for the funeral food as we couldn't afford it, my best friend, she bought me a bottle of my mum's signature perfume randomly so I could smell it and be close to her, I was living with a partner at the time who took care of meals because I was never hungry and couldn't bring myself to eat for a bit.

Just be there, be present, show that you care and that you're not going anywhere while they go through their pain.
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...