Author Topic: PuffyPat's Top 50 Albums v WE DID IT!  (Read 14686 times)

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
I took a much needed break from studying, and I'm back with another update! I bet the four people consistency reading are like, "Alright, I get around to looking at this at some point."

26.   The Hold Steady – Stay Positive (2008)

This is a very strange band. They have a giant arena rock type sound at times, but they’re singer, or more accurately vocalist, just kinds of talks with a little melody. It’s a pretty contrasting mix, but when these guys do it, it works, and it works well. This album in particular is a great one to hear the contrast. With elements of Bruce Springsteen, and other notable New Jersey rockers, The Hold Steady gave their own twist on music from the Garden State. This is an album that I think anyone could get into. There’s no strangeness involved at all. It’s just straight up rock and roll that isn’t hindered by trying to seem too cool or ahead of the times. The Hold Steady are what they are, and Stay positive is the best representation of their style: lots of power chords and guitar solos, but with a sense of sophistication. From what I just said, it kinda seems like they’re trying to be really cool, but I promise it’s just me using clichés to extend the length of this write up. Haha.

Favorite Song(s): Lord, I’m Discouraged, Stay Positive, Constructive Summer, untitled (bonus track)

25.   Kendrick Lamar – good kid, m.A.A.d city (2012)

Quite possibly one of the best albums ever released, and definitely one of the best from 2012, Kendrick Lamar blasted into the mainstream with a hip-hop record for the ages. When my brother first showed me some songs from the album, I was really thrown off by Kendrick’s voice because of how different it is compared to a majority of the rappers today, and because of this, it took me a little longer to get around to checking out the entire thing, and, boy, do I regret that. As soon as I had listened to it all the way through, I was in love. Kendrick pieces together a narrative of a fictionalized version of himself growing up on the streets of Compton. Like many rap and hip-hop albums, there are little skits throughout the songs, but Kendrick’s skits are more than just interludes to add some time to the length. The voicemail messages from his parents, and conversations between his homies add a lot of depth to the story, really pulling the listener into a world unlike most other albums out there. There are also a lot of different elements of hip-hop sprinkled all throughout the record, giving it a timeless feel that eludes to gangsta rap, trip hop, modern hip-hop, and everything in between. The album was definitely very ambitious for such a young and relatively unknown (before the record dropped) to take on, but Kendrick has enough talent in his left arm to be able to do whatever he wants in the genre, and do it well. good kid, m.A.A.d city made a splash, and the ripples are still moving today.

Favorite Song(s): m.A.A.d city, Money Trees, Bitch, Don't Kill My Vibe, Backseat Freestyle, Compton

24.   Radiohead – Hail to the Thief (2003)

A lot of people that I know that listen to Radiohead aren’t thrilled with this album, but despite the views of my peers, this record is my favorite of theirs. I liked when I first heard it, because it just felt really natural to me, and I was really into the dark sound on the record. Like most of Radiohead’s albums, it’s very strange, but in a very good way (at least that’s how I see it). There are lots of weird effects that make a lot of the songs sound like they’re going backwards at times, and the overall vibe of the album is pretty creepy, and makes my skin crawl, but I love every minute of it. The melodies are slow, and move very fluidly over the complex, and at times rigid, instrumentation behind it, creating a very strange atmosphere that I often find myself getting lost in. Radiohead were one of the first bands to blend conventional music with electronic music, and have done so virtually seamlessly without one of the two being more prevalent than the other, and this album is no different. It wouldn’t be the first Radiohead album I would recommend checking (In Rainbows, in case you were wondering), but it’s definitely worth listening to at least once in your lifetime whether you like them or not.

Favorite Song(s): 2 + 2 = 5, We Suck Young Blood, Sit Down, Stand Up

I should have a new update tomorrow or so because I don't have another final until Tuesday, but I am going to see Queens of the Stone Age on Friday, so it will either be tomorrow or Saturday.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Mladen

That's one original pick when it comes to Radiohead. I didn't really like the album at first, but although it's still not my favorite of theirs, it did grow on me immensely.

Also, have fun at the QOTSA show.  :tup

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
That's one original pick when it comes to Radiohead. I didn't really like the album at first, but although it's still not my favorite of theirs, it did grow on me immensely.

I get a lot of funny looks when I say that it's my favorite of theirs. People just don't like it all that much for some reason. I read that the band doesn't even like the way it came out, leading to Thom releasing an alternate track listing with some tracks omitted, and a lot of changes in order, but I'm sitting over here like, "I LOVE IT, THOUGH!" To each their own I guess.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Outcrier

No love for "There There"?
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
No love for "There There"?

There's love for it, I just don't know the names of the songs all that well (I'm really bad with those things), so I put the ones that really stuck out to me that I could remember.
prog sucks

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
Re: PuffyPat's Top 50 Albums v WHO IS THIS WHITE MAN? Halfway to NUMBER ONE!
« Reply #75 on: December 12, 2013, 02:49:51 PM »
Another set of back-to-back update days! WOO!

23.   Bear Hands – Burning Bush Supper Club (2010)

Bear Hands are one of the best bands going right now, and their debut record helps to make that case. They use a great mix of indie-pop and synthesizers to give them a sound like no other band around. When I first heard the lead song of the record, I was unsure about whether I was going to like them, so I just moved on. A year or so later, they were playing a show near me, and I remembered kinda liking one of their songs, so I decided to check them out. They absolutely blew me away with the grooves and synth textures, and I just had to have this album. The record starts with a glittery synth and crescendos in to a simple bass and snare beat with some chords over it. The bass lines just make you wanna dance wherever you are (I know from experience), and vocals (usually with an effect) are very quirky (especially the way he pronounces words that end with an er). Overall, Bear Hands are a band that keep it fairly simple, but are able to produce music that is more than just what the four guys are playing. The lyrics in many cases aren’t very serious, and it’s a welcome change from lyricists trying to philosophize in a three or four minute chorus-verse-chorus song. This is their only album at the moment, but it’s enough for anyone who just wants to take a break from whatever they’re doing and dance in their seat for 35 minutes.   

Favorite Song(s): Blood and Treasure, What a Drag, Crime Pays, Can't Stick 'Em, Belongings

22.   Happy Body Slow Brain – Dreams of Water (2010)

A pretty unknown band from California, these dudes are a great band that more people need to know about. I first heard them when I went with my friend to see A Great Big Pile of Leaves, and they were touring with them at the time. They were doing a co-headlining thing where they would swap who played last every night. Anyways, I went to this show, and it was very poorly advertised as there were no local bands playing, and apart from the bands, there were maybe 10 or so people, but that did not stop these guys from rocking out. That much passion really got me wanting to listen to their music, and right when I got home, I put their record on, and couldn’t believe the music I was hearing. There is definitely a distinct Cali vibe on the record, as it’s very laid back at time, but that doesn’t take anything away from the musicianship that really stands out. You can tell that every single guitar, bass, keyboard, and vocal line was clearly thought out, and then pieced together to create 13 phenomenal songs. Like Bear Hands, there are a lot of synths, but it’s less quirky, and more intentional (if that makes any sense). This is a great record to put on when you need to just unwind after a long day, or take in the calm of an early morning. It’s a very versatile record, and can really fit in just about anyone’s collection.

Favorite Song(s): Emperor, We're Strangers Now, Everything You Know, Move at Different Speeds (On the Road)

21.   Titus Andronicus – The Monitor (2010)

A concept album comparing a man’s move from Jersey to Mass to the trials and tribulations of the civil war. Sounds strange, right? Well, yeah, it is, but it works, and it works well. Titus Andronicus, a punk band known for lo-fi recordings and intense performances, know what they’re doing when it comes to hour long tales of being a loser covered in shit, and man do they shout it loud. Pat Stickles, the singer, gets straight to the point when he says that him leaving Jersey was a bad time for him (he compared it to the Civil War, I mean, c’mon). They have the standard punk attitude, but they’re more than just power chords and distortion, even if most of their music is power chords and distortion. Not many punk bands can get away with comparing their struggles to those of men who fought in the Civil War, but Pat really knows what he’s talking about. One thing I really love about this album is how roughed up it sounds. Not only does he sing about getting the shit kicked out of him by life, but the music sounds like it’s been through some shit, and then some more just because, and it really works for this record. It’s really gritty and sets a solid backdrop for all of the things that he’s singing about. This is probably the best punk album I’ve ever heard, and I honestly don’t expect to ever hear a better one. This one is just so goddamn good. Everything about it just works so well for what it is.

Favorite Song(s): A More Perfect Union, The Battle of Hampton Roads, Four Score and Seven, Titus Andronicus Forever

Don't forget to tell all your friends about this list. It's over halfway, and I want more people to see it!

Also, like I mentioned earlier, I'm going to see Queens of the Stone Age tomorrow, so there definitely won;t be another update until at least Saturday, so just talk about the entire list!
prog sucks

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
Re: PuffyPat's Top 50 Albums v WHO IS THIS WHITE MAN? CHECK IT OUT!
« Reply #76 on: December 14, 2013, 05:36:44 PM »
No update today, but you can still check out Thursday's. It's right up there.
prog sucks

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #77 on: December 16, 2013, 07:34:46 AM »
Glad to see GKMC in there! :) although most days I'm unsure whether I like Section 80 more.  I think bar a couple songs on GKMC, Section 80 has better standalone tracks.  It seems wrong to listen to some GKMC tracks outside the context of the album's narrative, and they definitely work best when listened to in context.  A sign of a great, cohesive concept album, maybe?  These other bands I have never heard of, I'm very interested in checking out Bear Hands.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #78 on: December 16, 2013, 03:21:05 PM »
Glad to see GKMC in there! :) although most days I'm unsure whether I like Section 80 more.  I think bar a couple songs on GKMC, Section 80 has better standalone tracks.  It seems wrong to listen to some GKMC tracks outside the context of the album's narrative, and they definitely work best when listened to in context.  A sign of a great, cohesive concept album, maybe?  These other bands I have never heard of, I'm very interested in checking out Bear Hands.

GKMC definitely has to be listened to as a whole. Most of the songs are really strange if you don't listen to them with the rest of the record.

Bear Hands are one of my favorite bands to see live. They have a great groove that makes you just wanna dance. Their music is great for just having a good time.
prog sucks

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #79 on: December 20, 2013, 12:24:12 AM »
With finals finally over, I should be able to get this thing back on track. Sorry to the people actually keeping up with this. I'll get an update as soon as I can tomorrow.
prog sucks

Offline Mladen

« Reply #80 on: December 20, 2013, 02:03:09 AM »
I'm following it, but there's quite a bit obscure stuff in there. Interesting list so far.  :tup

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #81 on: December 20, 2013, 01:43:06 PM »
I'm following it, but there's quite a bit obscure stuff in there. Interesting list so far.  :tup

Yeah, since joining the forum, my musical taste has drastically changed. It used to be all metal (Dream Theater, Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Sepultura, Lamb of God, etc.), and that was it. I've now shifted to the less heavy, and mostly listen to indie stuff and hip-hop. I still really love the music I used to listen to, but it just doesn't beg for me to listen to it as much. Thanks for sticking with all of the unknown. I definitely had a feeling that a lot of this stuff would be foreign to people here, but I love sharing my favorite music with people.
prog sucks

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #82 on: December 20, 2013, 02:28:43 PM »
AND WE'RE BACK.

20.   Kid Cudi – Man on the Moon: The End of Day (2009)

Kid Cudi isn’t really a rapper as he mostly just talks with rhythm, but man, are his albums fantastic. I remember coming home from school one day, and my brother was listening to this really strange song that I remember hearing on TV at some point. I asked him who it was, and he told me that it was Kid Cudi. At that time, I had never heard of him, but I was really liking what I was hearing. It wasn’t until a year later that I started to get into rap and hip-hop, but Man on the Moon was one of the first albums that I really got into. It’s full of laid back beats, and almost comical lyrics that combine to create what I love so much about this album. It’s an album that you can listen to at almost any time. Whether you need a pick me up, you’re in a great mood, really depressed, hanging out with friends, driving alone to the grocery store; it works ALL OF THE TIME. I wouldn’t say that it’s miles ahead of my other favorite hip-hop records, but it definitely is my favorite. I loved it so much that when his next record came out, which is also really good, I didn’t really like it at first because it wasn’t even close to this one. One thing about this album that I’ve always found to be a little off putting, are Common’s narrations. I love his voice, but I’ve always wished they weren’t there in many cases. Other than that, it’s one of the best albums of ever heard.

Favorite Song(s): Cudi Zone, Pursuit of Happiness, Make Her Say, Heart of a Lion (KiD CuDi Theme Music)

19.   The White Stripes – Icky Thump (2007)

The Jack White Saga has come to an end with the best album he’s ever done. When the White Stripes announced they were stepping away from music, I was devastated. I had loved them since I first heard “Fell in Love with a Girl”. They had a rawness that bands in the mainstream just didn’t have anymore, and I couldn’t get enough of it. Even when they really began to have a huge following, and practically unlimited resources, they continued to put out new music that never lost that roughness that was expected when you put on a White Stripes record. This last album is a culmination of everything they’ve done, and everything they had learned. It’s definitely a more “polished” sound, but it still sounds as if they had just written and recorded all of the songs in the basement or a garage. Jack’s signature guitar sound is all over this record, and Meg’s almost unsureness of what to play is there, but you can tell that she is comfortable with everything that she’s doing. Making it seem like you are less than you actually are can be a challenge especially if you are as talented as Jack White, but he always seems to able to play extremely simple things while making them sound like the coolest riff in the world on every song. In the decade that the White Stripes were making music, they came a very long way, but never lost what people fell in love with, and that is why I’ve always loved them. They knew what the fans wanted, and were able to evolve their sound while keeping the listeners in mind.

Favorite Song(s): Little Cream Soda, Conquest, Rag and Bone, You Don't Know what Love is (You Just do what You're Told), Icky Thump

18.   At the Drive-In – Relationship of Command (2001)

The Mars Volta are basically my favorite band, and when I heard that they were in a band right before they formed the band, I had to check it out, and I was not let down at all. Coming from The Mars Volta, At the Drive-In was a shock, but it was definitely a welcome shock. Cedric’s vocals are less refined, and the music is pure, raw aggression. You can almost feel the rift in the band coming out in these songs because of the high octane riffs, fast drums, primal screaming, and crazy bass lines. Omar has been on the record saying that he can’t listen to this album because of how it was mixed, and if this isn’t the mix that he wanted, I wish I could hear what he had wanted it to sound like. This is definitely an album that I would have listened to as a freshman in high school because of all the anger that is present on 99% of the songs. At forst I thought it was really strange that these guys went on the create The Mars Volta, but when you listen closely, many of the same strange lyrical themes and styles that Omar and Cedric would use in the future are clearly on this record, and a lot of the guitar playing is unmistakably the precursor for Omar’s style with The Mars Volta. These guys could have definitely gone on to become on of the biggest bands in the U.S., but some things just aren’t meant to be, but Relationship of Command is the definition of going out with a bang, and it is as good today as (I imagine) it was 12 years ago.

Favorite Song(s): Mannequin Republic, One Armed Scissor, Pattern Against User, Arcarsenal, Catacombs, Sleepwalk Capsules

Hopefully with the semester over, I can focus on getting this done in a timely fashion. Stay tuned.
prog sucks

Offline fibreoptix

« Reply #83 on: December 20, 2013, 06:05:18 PM »
Haha, I was waiting for some Omar/Cedric stuff to start popping up. Was starting to get a bit concerned there. ;) Relationship of Command is a fuckin' beast of an album.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #84 on: December 21, 2013, 12:57:43 AM »
Haha, I was waiting for some Omar/Cedric stuff to start popping up. Was starting to get a bit concerned there. ;) Relationship of Command is a fuckin' beast of an album.

If I hadn't limited myself to one album per band, you would have seen four Volta albums by now. I wanted to give people a better representation of all the music I listen, though, so I made some rules.
prog sucks

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #85 on: December 21, 2013, 01:45:43 PM »
TELL ALL YOUR FRIENDS!

17.   Arcade Fire – Neon Bible (2007)

I don’t remember much about when I started listening to Arcade Fire, they were just in my iTunes at one point. I think I might have gotten their albums from my sister right after they won the Grammy for Best Album for The Suburbs. Anyways, I always really liked what I heard from the room over when my brother or sister listened to them, so it was only a matter of time before I got into them. The album I always tended to gravitate towards Neon Bible because of how beautiful the songs seemed to me, and I still feel like it’s the best stuff that they’ve done. Keeping with their usual sadness, Neon Bible has the trait of making you just want to roll up in a ball in the corner of a room for a day or two. It’s an extremely emotional record with a lot of high quality songs. Everyone one has a place on the album, and there aren’t many moments, if any at all, that feel like they could have done without. They’re extremely good at crafting an album of songs that all work together. The song that always seems to get me is intervention. It’s such a powerful song not only lyrically, but the power of organ just makes the song an unmistakable masterpiece. Fun fact: it was actually recorded on a church organ in a church. IRONY. For some reason people still don’t really know who Arcade Fire are, and if you’re one of those people, definitely give them a try, but let it be known that Neon Bible is not for the faint of heart, but it is totally worth it.

Favorite Song(s): Keep the Car Running, Intervention, No Cars Go, Ocean of Noise, My Body is a Cage

16.   LCD Soundsystem – Sound of Silver (2007)

Chalk one up on the “Bands I got into After They Broke Up” board. I didn’t start listening to these (this) guys (guy), until they (he) had called it quits. James Murphy is a genius when it comes to taking a really simple synth or bass line, and turning it into an eight minute dance track that makes everyone want to move their bodies. The Sound of Silver is definitely his most danceable albums, and musically it is also his best. Like most of LCDs stuff, the music is very repetitive, but are complex enough to keep your attention for the entire song. One of the things I really love about LCD Soundsystem is that James makes electronic music, but he always uses live instrumentation, and in doing so, not only are the albums terrific, but they translate extremely well into a live setting, really giving people a reason to dance. This album in particular really gets me dancing every time. There’s a constant groove, and even on the songs that seem as though they would be less conducive to dancing, you can always get your body moving. A lot of bands these days focus on writing really serious music that really means something, which can lead to some really good music, but with James Murphy he just wants to create music that people can dance to without having to go on an emotional journey, and Sound of Silver is the perfect representation of whimsical music with an awesome groove that anyone can get into without having to think too hard. I only wish I had gotten into this music sooner so I could have made it to a show or two and heard some of these songs the way they should be heard.

Favorite Song(s): All My Friends, Us V Them, Time to Get Away, North American Scum, New York, I Love You but You're Bringing Me Down
prog sucks

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #86 on: December 21, 2013, 02:02:09 PM »
Neon Bible :-*
Favorite part is Intervention through Ocean Of Noise, 3 amazing songs!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 02:49:50 PM by Outcrier »

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #87 on: December 21, 2013, 10:46:46 PM »
ICKY THUMP!  Great choice, reading your analysis of it really made me think of how awesome it is.  Slowly Turning Into You has some meeeeaaaan riffage, and it has a lot less filler songs than most other Stripes albums.  Nice.

I've never heard that Kid Cudi album.  I've always loved his parts on Kanye's albums, I think I'll check that album out. 

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: December 30, 2013, 09:46:25 PM »
I feel like such a loser.....  I've heard only one album on your list PP.   :sadpanda:   Stadium Arcadium, hopefully the tide will turn...LOL.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #89 on: December 31, 2013, 01:01:27 AM »
I feel like such a loser.....  I've heard only one album on your list PP.   :sadpanda:   Stadium Arcadium, hopefully the tide will turn...LOL.

Don't feel like a loser. There's so much music out there, that just the fact that you've heard one of these is pretty insane. I mean, there's billions of albums out there, and I'm picking 50.
prog sucks

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #90 on: January 02, 2014, 03:04:05 PM »
Wow. Sorry for this really long delay. The holidays kind of hit out of nowhere, and I've been really, really busy and haven't had anytime to do any write ups, but I'm back (for now), so let's get this going.

15.   Motion City Soundtrack – Commit This to Memory (2005)

I like music that is poppy, but is more than just one or two hits, and the rest of the album is just there because a band was contractually obligated to come out with an album. When Commit This to Memory came out, that’s what I thought it was because in 2005 I still just kind of listened to what the industry was putting over the airwaves, and only two of these songs ever got any air play, so I never looked in to it. However, a couple years when my friend’s band was going on tour with Motion City Soundtrack, I decided to check out some of their stuff, and the first thing I listened to was Commit This to Memory. I immediately recognized “Everything is Alright” as it got major radio play when it first came out, but everything else was foreign to me. I was happily surprised that the rest of the album was just as good, and in many cases a lot better, and I immediately loved it. This is a band that definitely gets pegged under the “emo” category, so a lot of people steer away from it because it’s for “13 year-old girls, et al.”, but it’s honestly an extremely solid record that gets overlooked a lot because of the bands that it gets roped in with. While there is definitely a lot that appeals to the younger crowd, it is an album that I believe people just need to give a chance to be able to see that it’s one of the better albums to have come out in recent memory. I really like to play drums to this record because it’s extremely high energy, and while some of the parts are a little complex, it’s very easy to play along with without having to reach for something that you can’t quite do.

Favorite Song(s): Hangman, Everything is Alright, When You're Around, Feels Like Rain

14.   Bon Iver – For Emma, Forever Ago (2007)

This is one of the most beautiful albums I’ve ever listened to in my life. It’s mostly Justin and a guitar, and it does more musically on one song, than most albums can boast. Bon Iver is another band that I really don’t remember getting into. Like Arcade Fire, I was just kind of listening to them. I probably got all their stuff at the same time. It’s a fairly short album (about 37 minutes), but it blew me away before the first track even ended, and the songs just kept on getting better. It’s one of those albums that I can listen to at almost any time of the day or in any mood. It’s good for early mornings, midafternoon, late nights, and everywhere in-between; it just kind of fits in where it needs to.  Justin Vernon’s strange voice over weird effects on acoustic guitars in weird tunings is one of the coolest sounding things that has come around in recent years, and there’s been some pretty cool stuff coming around lately. Another thing I really love about this album is that a lot of the guitars aren’t perfectly in tune, which, to me, adds to the quirkiness of the album, without diminishing the beauty in anyway. If you want to play along with a lot of the songs, you not only have to use weird tunings, but you have to find where Justin was when he recorded the guitars, and then you can get going. Justin Vernon is an extremely gifted songwriter, and this album is the best thing he’s ever done, and it is definitely worth going out of your way to listen to it. Not many albums can bring tears to my eyes, but this is definitely one of those.

Favorite Song(s): The Wolves Acts I & II, Skinny Love, For Emma, re: Stacks

Again, sorry for the delay, I'll try to finish this list up in an orderly fashion.
prog sucks

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
Re: PuffyPat's Top 50 Albums v WHO IS THIS WHITE MAN? Finally back!
« Reply #91 on: January 05, 2014, 04:40:35 PM »
I love Bon Ivers self titled but havent listened to FEFA yet.  must remedy that

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #92 on: January 05, 2014, 04:42:34 PM »
Bon Iver is fantastic. I haven't heard the other one.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #93 on: January 06, 2014, 05:08:33 PM »
I love Bon Ivers self titled but havent listened to FEFA yet.  must remedy that

I love Bon Iver, Bon Iver. I like For Emma more becasue I heard it first. I'm sure it'd be the other way around had I heard the other first.
prog sucks

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #94 on: January 16, 2014, 04:05:55 PM »
Man, I'm really bad at this. Sorry for anyone who has been following, I'm just really, really not good at getting things done in a timely fashion. Anyways, here's the next two...

13.   Ambassadors – Litost (2012)

And now for another band that none of you have probably heard of, but you should definitely check out: Ambassadors, or X Ambassadors which they recently changed their name to because they were signed by an Interscope subsidiary (legal reasons I suppose). However, that doesn’t do anything to affect how much I love this record. I first heard of them when they were one of the opening acts for one of A Great Big Pile of Leaves’ record release shows, and I was absolutely blown away. The problem was that they didn’t have any merch for sale, so I lost track of them for a month or two, but one day their name popped up on Facebook, and I was extremely happy that I had found them. Soon after, they released their debut album (this one), and I immediately bought it, and it shot straight up to the top of my favorite albums. The thing that really attracts me to this band is the singer. He has one of the best voices I’ve ever heard, and it’s even better live. The amazing vocals in front of instrumentals with delusions of arena rock with an indie attitude really make this band right up my alley, and the record did not disappoint. From the first track I knew that this was going to be great. There are no disappointments musically at all, and the only thing that I find a little disappointing is the fact that there are only eight songs and it’s about 35 minutes. Other than that, it’s flawless.

Favorite Song(s): Falls, Unconsolable, Weight/Lightness, Caged Animals

12.   Miles Davis – In a Silent Way (1969)

The King of Cool himself, Miles Davis. There’s not much I can say about this cat except that he was a genius. He was way ahead of his time for most of his career, and helped to bring jazz forward more than any other artist had at that point. At this point, he was starting to become the eccentric person that made strange music, and even stranger fashion decisions, but kept making albums that people loved, and still love to this day. He was kind of like the first hipster. Anyways, what I really love about this album is how relaxing it is. I can just lay around with this on, and not worry about anything for 45 minutes, and then do it again because it’s just that good. For a while I wasn’t that into Miles, and I really don’t know why, but when I listened to this album for the first time, my eyes were opened to just how amazing he was, and realized that I was just being a stubborn high school kid who was “too cool” to listen to one of the most influential musicians of all time because other people told me to. I really wish I hadn’t been so reluctant to listen to Miles, because I could have discovered the beauty in his music much earlier than last year, and I could have been enlightened much sooner. I still haven’t listened to as much Miles as I want to (there are A LOT of albums), but this one really sticks out because even with a pretty complex group of guys in the studio, they were able to come out with something that sounds so simple, yet is some of the most beautiful music ever produced.

There are only two songs, so the whole thing is my favorite.

prog sucks

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #95 on: January 16, 2014, 05:21:29 PM »
I still haven’t listened to as much Miles as I want to (there are A LOT of albums), but this one really sticks out because even with a pretty complex group of guys in the studio, they were able to come out with something that sounds so simple, yet is some of the most beautiful music ever produced.

The ultimate secret  :azn:

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
Re: PuffyPat's Top 50 Albums v WHO IS THIS WHITE MAN? I'm really bad at this.
« Reply #96 on: January 20, 2014, 05:36:12 PM »
11.   Keith Jarrett Trio – Standards Vol. 1 (1983)

Keith Jarret is my favorite pianist of all time, and with very good reason. He’s a master of the keys in any situation, and this album is no different. This is a weird inclusion on my list because it’s all covers, but that’s a lot of what jazz is. They’re called standards for a reason, and the Standards Trio (Jarret, DeJohnette, Peacock) are the best in the business. To a lot of people, piano, bass, and drums might not be enough to really make a good jazz band, but for me, it’s the best. When I first heard this record, I was a junior in high school who knew absolutely nothing about jazz, but I knew that this was special. My teacher put on “God Bless the Child”, and from then on, I loved jazz. The fact that three people, just the bare minimum of the rhythm section could create such beautiful renditions of songs that were already classics was mind blowing to me, and even after learning more about each of the members, it still amazes me how than can make some of the best music when some of the earlier versions are also so damned good. Another thing that really intrigued me about this record (and Keith Jarrett in general) was the vocal aspect of Jarrett’s playing. Behind all of the music is his moans, groans, and whatever other sounds he’s making. This is a big reason why many people are turned off by Keith, but when I hear those sounds, all I can think about is how passionate he is about his music. It definitely is a strange element, but I think that it really adds to the music in a positive way.

Favorite Song(s): God Bless the Child

10.   The Mountain Goats – Tallahassee (2002)

Formally a one man singer/songwriter machine, John Darnielle enlisted a drummer and bassist, and decided to ditch his lo-fi style, and enter the studio for a more refined approach to his music. To a lot of fans, a drastic change like that might cause them to look elsewhere for music, but with fans as loyal as Mountain Goats fans, Tallahassee only strengthened their love for John and his music. Most of the songs stick with the simple instrumentations (mostly guitar, bass, and piano) which kept the overall fanbase pretty happy while reaching out and pulling in new ones like me. It’s a pretty low key record without many tracks that just blow you away, but the record as a whole is one of the most put together records I’ve ever listened to. It begins with two notes on a guitar, and from there it builds and builds, climaxes, and then resolves. Recently I listened to this album while on a road trip, and just sitting there with nothing else to think about while this album plays, I realized just how masterfully crafted it is, and just smiled as it went on because even if the subject matter is pretty dark (in vintage Mountain Goats fashion), you can’t help but realize just how beautiful it is. Another characteristic that is heavily apparently on all Mountain Goats records is John Darnielles grasp on the English language, and his ability to write extremely simple lines that are almost clichés, and then saving it with really clever word play. As a writer myself (nowhere near as good as JD), I really appreciate song writers who aren’t trying to simplify things for a wide audience, but instead stick to what they know, and do a damn good job.

Favorite Song(s): No Children, Oceanographer's Choice, Southwood Plantation Road

prog sucks

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #97 on: January 20, 2014, 10:23:18 PM »
To a lot of people, piano, bass, and drums might not be enough to really make a good jazz band, but for me, it’s the best.

I assume you are familiar with the Bill Evans Trio (the Village Vanguard Recordings were my #33)?  Also, Chick Corea has some really cool trio stuff released in the past decade or so.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #98 on: January 20, 2014, 11:35:23 PM »
To a lot of people, piano, bass, and drums might not be enough to really make a good jazz band, but for me, it’s the best.

I assume you are familiar with the Bill Evans Trio (the Village Vanguard Recordings were my #33)?  Also, Chick Corea has some really cool trio stuff released in the past decade or so.

Aware is a better word than familiar. I've been meaning to check out more jazz, but I've been listening to other stuff lately. I'll add it to the list of things I need to check out.
prog sucks

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #99 on: January 20, 2014, 11:43:07 PM »
oh boy, you're in for a treat.  Check these out:

Portrait In Jazz
Explorations
Sunday at the Village Vanguard
Waltz for Debby

These are unfortunately all the recordings he did with Scott LaFaro and Paul Motian (LaFaro died 10 days after recording Sunday/Waltz).  The last two are the live set from 1961 and two of my favorite jazz albums ever.
Winger would be better!

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #100 on: January 20, 2014, 11:51:30 PM »
oh boy, you're in for a treat.  Check these out:

Portrait In Jazz
Explorations
Sunday at the Village Vanguard
Waltz for Debby

These are unfortunately all the recordings he did with Scott LaFaro and Paul Motian (LaFaro died 10 days after recording Sunday/Waltz).  The last two are the live set from 1961 and two of my favorite jazz albums ever.

Just started listening to Sunday. It's only been going for a few minutes, and I'm a fan. LaFaro is the highlight so far. Man, could he play.
prog sucks

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #101 on: January 20, 2014, 11:58:09 PM »
he was truly a rising star in the jazz world.  Only 25 years old when he was killed in an auto accident.
Winger would be better!

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #102 on: January 24, 2014, 06:25:47 PM »
About to get real emotional up in here.

9. Maps & Atlases – Perch Patchwork (2010)

I discovered Maps & Atlases one day while I was browsing YouTube, and I saw a video that was part of a series of videos that I enjoy quite a bit, and I thought that “Maps & Atlases” sounded like a cool band, so I decided to check out the video. I wasn’t blown away or anything, but I definitely thought it was a cool song, and the fact that the singer was playing such a complicated guitar part while he was singing really impressed me, so I decided to delve into their music. Upon first listen, I was pretty into the album. There is an odd mix of styles and genres on the record such as math rock, folk, and other experimental styles. The first song that really caught my interest was “Solid Ground” which more of a straight up folk song than a mix of genres, but I really loved listening to it. I would only listen to a few songs from the record, but after a month or so of this, I saw it in a record store, and decided to buy it, and from then on it’s been one of my favorite records, and they’ve been one of my favorite bands. After going back and checking out their previous EPs, I found out that their music had changed a lot in the years before Perch came out, and while I do like all of their music in all of their phases, Perch Patchwork just stands out to me more than any of their other material. It just seems more complete to me, granted it was their first LP. I really think that blending math rock and folk rock, while it sounds very strange, actually works, at least when Maps & Atlases do it.

Favorite Song(s): The Charm, Solid Ground, Carrying the Wet Wood, Pigeon

8. Say Anything - …Is a Real Boy (2004)

If I could take all of my angst from my pre-teen and teen years, and put it onto one record, this would be the final results. From beginning to end, there is nothing but break up songs, insecurities, and even a song about the singer’s grandparents during the holocaust. This album holds a really special place because of the circumstances of when I really started listening to it. The summer of 2009 was one of the best summers of my life because for a little over a week, I was hanging out at the beach with the best friends in my life, and it was the last time that I ever saw their mom, Debbie. This album was our soundtrack that summer on many a drive on roads that we didn’t quite know singing as loud as we could without worrying about who could hear us. We had a great time, and it’s the happiest I was for a really long time. Debbie passing took a lot out of all of us, and while she wasn’t my mom, she was as close with me and my siblings as our mom was, and it really felt like we lost a member of the family. For almost a year I would think about the time spent listening to …Is a Real Boy, and how it was the perfect album for a bunch of kids without a care in the world just having the times of our lives. Nearly every song is an anthem that was meant to be sung as loud as you could whether or not you could sing or not. Listening to this album brings me back to the best summer of my life, with the best friends I’ll ever have during a time when there was nothing that could bring us down, even if the worst part of our lives was just around the corner.

Favorite Song(s): Admit It!!!, Yellow Cat (slash) Red Cat, The Futile, Alive With the Glory of Love
prog sucks

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

Re: PuffyPat's Top 50 Albums v NOW IN THE TOP 10!
« Reply #103 on: January 24, 2014, 06:41:30 PM »
Wow, man. I've heard maybe 3 or 4 albums on this list. :lol I'm late in commenting, but there's definitely a lot of obscure stuff on here that I've never really delved into. I'll be looking forward to the rest of your top 10.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: PuffyPat's Top 50 Albums v NOW IN THE TOP 10!
« Reply #104 on: January 24, 2014, 06:45:17 PM »
The cover art and your description of Maps And Atlases has me intrigued, I'll try to check them out soon.