Author Topic: PuffyPat's Top 50 Albums v WE DID IT!  (Read 14676 times)

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
Re: PuffyPat's Top 50 Albums v NOW IN THE TOP 10!
« Reply #105 on: January 24, 2014, 07:25:37 PM »
Wow, man. I've heard maybe 3 or 4 albums on this list. :lol I'm late in commenting, but there's definitely a lot of obscure stuff on here that I've never really delved into. I'll be looking forward to the rest of your top 10.

Thanks for checking out the list! I had a feeling it was going to be like this for a lot of people. I used to listen to a lot of what people are into on here (Dream Theater, Maiden, Metallica et al.), but in the past few years I've really been diving into stuff that isn't in the mainstream. I wouldn't say that I've lost touch with my metal side because I still listen to metal, but it's just on a much smaller level than it was my freshman and sophomore years (five years ago (damn that's a long time ago)).

The cover art and your description of Maps And Atlases has me intrigued, I'll try to check them out soon.

I look forward to hearing what you think. They're one of my favorite bands now, and I wouldn't have thought they would have been given the circumstances as to how I discovered them.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: PuffyPat's Top 50 Albums v NOW IN THE TOP 10! (Update on page 3)
« Reply #106 on: January 24, 2014, 09:10:32 PM »
About 3/4 of the way through Perch Patchwork now. Quite excellent, really. I listen to a bit of indie, and has some of that in it, but it's got a lot of other influences as well. The only problem I have with it is that sometimes the guys voice gets just a bit too nasally.

Still though, very very good. It's on my Amazon list of albums to buy (though that doesn't necessarily mean much, the list is like ~500 albums deep, and I'm adding to it faster then I'm buying albums :P).

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #107 on: January 24, 2014, 10:06:07 PM »
I can see how people would find his voice a little odd. Personally, he's my favorite singer. It's very unique. Also, I'm with you on the Amazon list. It's not 500 deep, but it's big and only getting bigger.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #108 on: January 24, 2014, 10:17:35 PM »
Well, the voice thing may just be general unfamiliarity with the style, much like harsh vocals took some getting used to.

Anyway, for the most part it's really great. I've been trying to get into more indie stuff anyway.

...I should probably just bookmark this thread, and check all the albums out....

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #109 on: January 24, 2014, 10:30:37 PM »
That'd be sweet. The ones I would personally recommend would be Titus Andronicus - The Monitor (lo-fi punk rock), Bear Hands - Burning Bush Supper Club ( sorta electronic-y, definitely dance-y), Ambassadors - Litost (indie rock), Happy Body Slow Brain - Dreams of Water (electronic indie, kinda pop-y), Ted Leo & the Pharmacists - The Brutalist Bricks (indie rock), Portugal the Man - Censored Colors (experimental indie). I think that would be the better indie stuff on the list. At least a good place to start.
prog sucks

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #110 on: January 24, 2014, 10:31:59 PM »
Thanks bro, I'll check 'em out! :metal

....I'm actually not sure if :metal is an appropriate reaction to indie....

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #111 on: January 24, 2014, 10:35:03 PM »
For The Monitor, definitely, everything else, why not? I rock out to indie all the time. It might not be head banging, but it gets the heart rate up.
prog sucks

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #112 on: January 24, 2014, 10:37:28 PM »

Good point :rollin

I've tried getting into some indie before, but it doesn't do that much for me for the most part, outside a couple of exceptions. It's solid, but I guess not really my cup of tea, which is probably why a lot of the albums from this list go unheard of for me.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #113 on: January 24, 2014, 10:41:19 PM »

Good point :rollin

I've tried getting into some indie before, but it doesn't do that much for me for the most part, outside a couple of exceptions. It's solid, but I guess not really my cup of tea, which is probably why a lot of the albums from this list go unheard of for me.

It's not for everybody, for sure, but also, a lot of the stuff I listen to, I'm the only one who I know that listens to it because for a while, I sought out bands that were pretty obscure. I thought it was "cool" to like bands that no one else did. Little did I know that no one really gives a shit what I listen to except for me, so I just started listening to whatever. A lot of the stuff I found wasn't that great, but there were a few (a lot of them on this list) that stuck with me.
prog sucks

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #114 on: January 24, 2014, 11:13:33 PM »
I say just like whatever you like :tup

Though nothing wrong with trying to branch out. I try and do so everyday.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #115 on: January 24, 2014, 11:30:10 PM »
Yeah, I've started just listening to stuff that I like. Music is too good of thing to limit in any way. Just listen to stuff that makes you feel good.
prog sucks

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #116 on: January 25, 2014, 03:45:01 AM »
Wow, I came across Maps and Atlases in a similar way, with the VidZone app thingy on the PS3, they had a live show of those guys and I remember thinking the exact same thing about the singer, super tricky guitar lines that he was singing over had me sold.  I checked out a few youtube vids but never went any further with it. I will have to get that album!! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction ;)

That being said I have heard basically nothing from the last two updates :lol still a very broad, brave and off kilter list, props for putting it and sticking to your guns; I was very much the same as you, listened to metal ever since I was born but only over the last 5 or so years have I realised that there is sooooooo much beauty in music across ALL genres, and to put that boundary on your sense of taste means that you miss out on a lot of beautiful things, sounds, stuff.  Sweet list, PuffyPat, very interested to see what tops it.  :tup

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #117 on: January 25, 2014, 12:27:31 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, man. It really means a lot. I know it's just my taste it music, but it's nice to know that people are appreciating all of this, even just a few.
prog sucks

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #118 on: January 25, 2014, 03:43:25 PM »
Wow, I came across Maps and Atlases in a similar way, with the VidZone app thingy on the PS3, they had a live show of those guys and I remember thinking the exact same thing about the singer, super tricky guitar lines that he was singing over had me sold.  I checked out a few youtube vids but never went any further with it. I will have to get that album!! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction ;)

That being said I have heard basically nothing from the last two updates :lol still a very broad, brave and off kilter list, props for putting it and sticking to your guns; I was very much the same as you, listened to metal ever since I was born but only over the last 5 or so years have I realised that there is sooooooo much beauty in music across ALL genres, and to put that boundary on your sense of taste means that you miss out on a lot of beautiful things, sounds, stuff.  Sweet list, PuffyPat, very interested to see what tops it.  :tup

Yeah, there's so much music we don't even imagine we would like before listening to it eh?
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #119 on: January 25, 2014, 09:55:37 PM »
Yeah.  I hate it when people automatically disregard something out of their comfort range.  I get that a lot when I try and reccommend Kanye's MBDTF.  Though its probably down to Kanye himself rather than the music lol 

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #120 on: January 25, 2014, 10:12:07 PM »
Yeah.  I hate it when people automatically disregard something out of their comfort range.  I get that a lot when I try and reccommend Kanye's MBDTF.  Though its probably down to Kanye himself rather than the music lol

I don't like Kanye himself, nor his music. :lol

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #121 on: January 25, 2014, 10:13:33 PM »
I think Kanye is bang out of order but MBDTF is fucking masterpiece I don't care who you are lol

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #122 on: January 25, 2014, 10:16:17 PM »
Sorry man. Can't agree to that :P Just not my thing.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #123 on: January 25, 2014, 10:17:38 PM »
I think Kanye is bang out of order but MBDTF is fucking masterpiece I don't care who you are lol

College Dropout and Late Registration are masterpieces as well.
I think West isn't the best introduction to people who never heard real hip hop because the first impression is that he is just like the rest... You might have to be a familiarity with the genre (90's) before listening to it.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 10:24:54 PM by Outcrier »
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #124 on: January 25, 2014, 11:23:23 PM »
Sorry man. Can't agree to that :P Just not my thing.

:'( fair enough I guess.

College Dropout and Late Registration are masterpieces as well.
I think West isn't the best introduction to people who never heard real hip hop because the first impression is that he is just like the rest... You might have to be a familiarity with the genre (90's) before listening to it.

Yeah, maybe.  I consider it to be just a great pop record.  Catchy.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #125 on: January 26, 2014, 12:34:25 AM »
Kanye is one of the hardest artists to try to tell people that he actually is a musical genius because of the way that he acts as a person.  He's innovated music so much with all of his albums, but because he comes off as brash in the media, people tend to stay away from him.
prog sucks

Offline Kilgore Trout

« Reply #126 on: January 26, 2014, 05:40:28 AM »
How did Kanye "innovated music"?

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #127 on: January 26, 2014, 08:49:40 AM »
I think that's the biggest criticism I face when I tell people I don't like his music. They accuse me of "just not liking him as a person", which I really don't, but that really has nothing to do with his music either, and it usually slips over them that maybe I just don't really enjoy his music.

I don't want to pretend I'm an authority over rap music, I mean it's not really my thing and I don't listen to it all that much, but I can certainly see how he was innovative.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #128 on: January 26, 2014, 02:01:33 PM »

He's set precedents in rap in terms of production, and fashion I guess.  His production techniques on his first two albums especially were hugely influential in modern hip hop, i.e his use of sped up soul samples.  He seems to be a bit behind the ball with Yeezus; it doesn't really break any new ground, except for people who arent aware of groups like Death Grips, etc

I think that's the biggest criticism I face when I tell people I don't like his music. They accuse me of "just not liking him as a person", which I really don't, but that really has nothing to do with his music either, and it usually slips over them that maybe I just don't really enjoy his music.

I don't want to pretend I'm an authority over rap music, I mean it's not really my thing and I don't listen to it all that much, but I can certainly see how he was innovative.

If I gave you a copy of MBDTF and said it was an album by MC Get Bizzy would you enjoy it? :lol

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #129 on: January 26, 2014, 02:20:32 PM »

His albums were groundbreaking in the world of hip-hop when they first dropped. Like sneakyblueberry said, the production, the soul samples, the epic nature of My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, the stripped down arrangements of 808s and Heartbreak. I should have specified that he innovated rap music, as well as some pop music. Drake wouldn't be where he is right now, had Kanye not released 808s.
prog sucks

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #130 on: January 26, 2014, 06:28:50 PM »
7. Frank Ocean – channel ORANGE (2012)

In my opinion, the best solo male vocalist in the game right now (sorry Justin), Frank Ocean is a master of voice and words. His songwriting skills are as refined as his singing, and man does it show on his debut. When it first came out, I was extremely wary of it simply because of the critical acclaim it got (which is a really dumb reason not to check things out by the way), and I really regretted not checking it out sooner because when I did get around listening to it, I was absolutely blown away. For months I couldn’t stop myself from putting this record on, and just lying down and listening. For many of the songs, I felt like I was sitting in a room with Frank, while he was just singing his innermost thoughts and feelings, and it really brought me to another world. If you don’t know much about him, it might be hard to understand where he’s coming from, but as the first bi/gay artist to come out in the hip-hop community, he’s faced his fair amounts of hardships, and this album serves almost as a diary or journal for him to talk about the things that have caused him the most problems in his life all while not being too sappy or self-loathing. One of the things that really drew me to like this record was the way that it was put together. Each song serving almost as a tape recorded message with brief interludes between a few of the songs to give the album a structure without taking over the music. This was hands down my favorite record of 2012, and with very good reason.  It didn't change my life, but it definitely changed the way that I view artists on the rise; sometimes they are as good as people say they are.

Favorite Song(s): Pink Matter, Super Rich Kids, Pyramids, Sweet Life, Thinkin' Bout You

6. Queens of the Stone Age – Songs for the Deaf (2002)

I recently saw Queens of the Stone Age live, and it was one of the greatest experiences of my life. The one experience that I can really compare it to was the first time that I ever listened to Songs for the Deaf all the way through. Up until a year or so ago, I was aware of Queens of the Stone Age from when “No One Knows” was getting a lot of airplay, but I had never really thought of checking them out. I can’t think of a single good reason as to why not, but for some reason, I just didn’t. Anyways, one day I felt like listening to “No One Knows” and decided to listen to the full album instead (God bless Spotify), and that’s the moment that I realized just how good Queens were. They have a very distinct style of in your face rock and roll with lots of distortion and falsetto that front man Josh Homme has described as “robot rock” and fans over the world have grown to love very, very much. The album is a very loose concept album with radio DJ banter throughout the album from stations around the Palm Desert area of California where Josh grew up. The music is a very raw for of rock that holds nothing back in terms of riffage, rough vocals, fast drums (brought to you by the one and only Dave Grohl), and an unmistakable, almost haunting groove present throughout the record. Since Songs for the Deaf came out, Queens have released three fine records, but nothing will ever come close to the intensity that they achieved on the masterpiece that is Songs for the Deaf, nor should they ever have to live up to something so magnificent; although they’re doing a pretty damn good job.

Favorite Song(s): Go With The Flow, Song for the Dead, First It Giveth, No One Knows, Song for the Deaf
prog sucks

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
Re: PuffyPat's Top 50 Albums v NOW IN THE TOP 10! (Update on page 4)
« Reply #131 on: January 26, 2014, 08:09:37 PM »
Brilliant update!!  Channel Orange is a bonafide masterpiece, not a single dud track.  Definitely my album of 2012. I must've listened to it 100 times and I can still put it on now and enjoy every song.  I love how it borders on 'Progressive' RnB... I think if more urban/soul artists can start writing like Frank's modern twist on RnB it'd be a way more interesting genre, rather than rehashing all the 90's type vibes.  Hard to pick a favourite, but Pyramids is excellent "Pimping in my convo's.." is probably the coolest verse on any song ever.  I really love nostalgia ULTRA too.

PuffyPat, have you heard much of Solange?  Beyonce's little sister lol.  Her EP 'True' has a similar vibe to Channel Orange IMO and its very good, might be worth checking out.  Her songs are about a million times better than B's :P (largely thanks to Dev Hynes from Blood Orange...)

QOTSA, extremely solid album.  Grohl's masterful pounding coupled with dat guitar/bass tone... :drool:
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 08:42:04 PM by sneakyblueberry »

Offline mellotron_scratch

« Reply #132 on: January 27, 2014, 01:21:53 AM »
Absolutely adore Channel Orange too. My favourite of 2012, by far. What got me hooked was hearing the song 'Golden Girl' on youtube, then I bought the whole album and fell in love with it.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #133 on: January 27, 2014, 04:55:04 AM »
Not a fan of the roughness of Songs for the deaf, I prefer the more emotional, melodic stuff from their last two albums. But it still has it's share of great tracks.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #134 on: January 28, 2014, 09:17:59 AM »
OH MAN! THE TOP FIVE IS HERE!

I was thinking of doing honorable mentions or something, but I've decided to just keep going with the list because this has gone on way too long already, and I don't want to keep other people held up, so let's do this!

5. The Mars Volta – The Bedlam in Goliath (2008)

Now for the most intense record I’ve ever heard in my life. From the moment “Aberinkula” starts playing until the second “Conjugal Burns” ends (and even a while after) you’re trapped for 75 minutes in an acid trip gone wrong, but in all the right ways. Right when you think you’re about to sober up, the almost too fast, uncontrollable grooves grab you by the throat and pull you back under the surface, and no matter how much you struggle, no matter how hard you try to break free, there’s nothing that you can do to escape the clutches of The Bedlam in Goliath.

There is not one thing that I don’t like about this record. My adrenaline levels are always on the rise when I listen to this record (my hands are shaking as I’m typing this), and I love every minute of it. A lot of people began to jump off of the Mars Volta band wagon after their third record, Amputechture, was released, but for me, that’s where it really started to get good. They really started to come into their own when it came to strange, avant garde like music that sounds like nothing else out there, and that’s really the reason that I was drawn to this band so much, and this record especially. There’s so much going on it almost seems as if this record would be way too much for someone to listen to (and for a lot of people it really is), but there’s nothing about this record that has made say to myself, “Well, they could have something different there.” Everything from the odd time signatures being held together by the erratic style of Thomas Pridgen’s drumming, the unconventional guitar solos of Omar Rodriguez-Lopez, the heavily effected bass from Juan Alderte, the bi polar vocals shrieked by Cedric Bixler-Zavala, the strategic keys and synth from Ikey, everything is in a league of its own giving this record a one of a kind sound that no other band could even dream of coming up with.

Omar Rodriguez-Lopez, the mastermind behind The Mars Volta, is known for his strange style of music, and lack of patience when it comes to his writing and recording. He’s a musical genius, but with a very controlling, dictator-esque mentality (he’s been called one on many occasions). He changes what he’s into seemingly almost every day, and it really shows when you look at his 28 solo albums. He’s a master of the unknown, and seems to be able to craft music that always surprises even his biggest fans, but nothing will ever reach the level of The Mars Volta and The Bedlam in Goliath.

Favorite Song(s): Wax Simulacra, Goliath, Aberinkula, Soothsayer, Ilyena, Conjugal Burns
prog sucks

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
Re: PuffyPat's Top 50 Albums v TOP 5!
« Reply #135 on: January 28, 2014, 06:05:04 PM »
My TMV (or at least the albums I know well) list goes:

1 -  De Loused
2 -  Amputechture
3 -  Frances
4 -  Goliath.

For some reason it never gelled for me, but theres no way I can fault you having any TMV this high. 

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #136 on: January 28, 2014, 06:07:52 PM »
Whoo, I band I know!

Unfortunately, I haven't heard this album, with the exception of Goliath (which is amazing, and the music video is hilarious :lol).

Offline fibreoptix

« Reply #137 on: January 28, 2014, 06:10:16 PM »
Love it. Not my favourite TMV album but you've put perfectly into words what's so great about it. Just thinking about some of these tracks get my adrenaline pumping.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #138 on: January 28, 2014, 08:40:36 PM »
I'm well aware of the way most Volta fans view Goliath, and I'm totally okay with being one of the weird kids. It just hit me like none of their other records did. I love all six, but this one is just a million times crazier than the others, and I absolutely love it.

This always gets some weird responses, but I rank their albums as follows:

The Bedlam in Goliath
De-Loused in the Comatorium
Octahedron
Amputechture
Frances the Mute
Noctourniquet
prog sucks

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #139 on: January 28, 2014, 11:06:26 PM »
its actually the only TMV album ive been able to geet into (its also where i started).

FYI, i listened to some rap cuz of your list. i probs wouldnt normally, but your writeups musta had an effect. also, i enjoyed much of what i heard.