Author Topic: PuffyPat's Top 50 Albums v WE DID IT!  (Read 14642 times)

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
PuffyPat's Top 50 Albums v WE DID IT!
« on: November 21, 2013, 11:47:33 AM »
Hello. Many of you might not know me because I only post in specific threads, but I've been here for a while now, and really enjoy it here. From the beginning I saw the top 50 threads and wanted to do one of my own, but was so overcome with the task that I thought I wouldn't be able to make a good list. However, I decided to only pick one album per band which might seem harder because I have to narrow bands discographies down to just one record, but their weren't many cases where I really struggled with which one I wanted to pick. Also, it allows me to get more of my favorite bands in there and give you a better idea of my taste in music overall.

Just some things to help you guys see why my list is the way it is: I'm 20, so there are going to be a lot more recent albums because of the times I grew up in. I do like metal, but I don't listen to it very often save a few outstanding records as my musical taste has drastically changed since high school when I really started to get into music. And I listen to a lot of indie stuff, so there might be some stuff that no one recognizes, but I highly recommend checking it out. Well, that's pretty much it, so, lets get to the good stuff.

50.   Wolfmother – Wolfmother (2006)

When I was in middle school, my friend showed me this band from Australia called Wolfmother. At first I only listened to a song or two from it, but after a while I was hooked on this record. I would listen to it all the time. For the past few years or so I hadn’t even thought about it, but my friend was listening to it while we were hanging out, and I remembered how much I used to listen to it, and pulled it out of the bottom of my closet and started rocking out. I think that this was the record that got me into more experimental or psychedelic music, and I still appreciate how much of an affect this record had on my musical tastes. After this album the bass player and drummer left the band, and I check out the stuff with the new guys, and it just wasn't the same, but this record will always have a special place with me.

Favorite Song(s): Mind's Eye, White Unicorn, Joker and the Thief

49.   Gogol Bordello – Gypsy Punks: Underdog World Strike (2005)

I don’t really remember the first time I heard this record, so there’s really no story behind it. All I know is that it has some of the most energy I’ve ever experiences on a record before. For a group of immigrants from many different countries to come together and meld all of their different countries musical styles (Ukraine, Russia, Ethiopia, Scotland, Ecuador, China), and create a sound that is like all of them, but none of them at the same time, is just mind boggling. I can remember listening to this record in high-school, and thinking I was the coolest kid around. It’s a timeless album that everyone needs to hear in my opinion.

Favorite Song(s): Dogs Were Barking, Underdog World Strike, Not a Crime, Start Wearing Purple

48.   Sepultura – Chaos A.D. (1993)

This is one the most intense records I’ve ever listened to. A friend of mine lent it to me my sophomore year in high school and I was completely blown away. From the get go, there is a level of intensity that doesn’t let up. The best part of this record is that it’s not just heavy to be heavy. There is a very distinct groove that really sets it apart from most of the metal that I’ve listened to. It’s really the only metal album that I keep coming back to over and over again because it just sounds so fresh to me. There other stuff is pretty good, but nothing really lives up to this record for me, it's just one of those that is better than everything else around it.

Favorite Song(s): Refuse/Resist, Territory, Biotech is Godzilla, Kaiowas

That's for the first day. I'll try to update regularly (once a day), but it's almost finals, so I might get a little behind, so there may be 2 posts a day on some days, and none on others, so bear with me for a while. I'll always let you know what's going on update wise if something crazy is going on, but I foresee this going fairly smoothly. I hope all y'all enjoy this list because I definitely had a good, although sometimes tough, time making this list.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 11:13:00 AM by PuffyPat »
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
Re: PuffyPat's Top 50 Albums v WHO IS THIS WHITE MAN?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 12:09:58 PM »
Gogol Bordello and Sepultura! :metal Following.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 12:14:30 PM »
Yeah, that Sepultura album is awesome.  Gonna have to check out the other two.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 03:00:34 PM »
Sorry but i'm with Mike Patton.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 03:55:45 PM »
Haven't heard any of these. I'll try my best to keep up with your list though, I love reading about other people's music tastes.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 10:31:11 PM »
Same. :lol Love that vid.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 11:46:47 PM »
I recall Patton recently was quoted as to not hating Wolfmother.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 12:26:08 AM »
Chaos A.D. is awesome.

I know a couple of songs from Wolfmother and I like them, but so far I haven't checked them out.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 01:17:42 AM »
I remember the  Chaos AD  album - never got intoSepultura big but they were certainly unique and that's half the battle.   I've heard some Wolfmother but they sounded like they were trying too hard to be Led Zep - and I'm not a huge Led Zep fan anyway.

It'll be good to get a 20yo perspective  ;D -   I'm only relatively new here but I'm seriously surprised by the young audience DT have.  I thought I would be amongst the youngest (I was 18 when I bought my first DT album in 1992) but I get the impression a majority of the forum members would've been barely primary school age then - or not even thought about  ;D    DT have a real asset in a young growing fan base that know good music when they hear it .

I'll follow your list with interest.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 01:24:44 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 02:13:39 AM »
Following.

It'll be good to get a 20yo perspective  ;D -   I'm only relatively new here but I'm seriously surprised by the young audience DT have.  I thought I would be amongst the youngest (I was 18 when I bought my first DT album in 1992) but I get the impression a majority of the forum members would've been barely primary school age then - or not even thought about  ;D    DT have a real asset in a young growing fan base that know good music when they hear it .
I wasn't even born yet when I&W came out, but it's one of my favourite albums of all time  :lol

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2013, 02:36:34 AM »

What video is this? I was super confused by that Mike Patton comment, and I want to know what's going on.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2013, 03:34:24 AM »
I may be one of the only ones on here really familiar with Wolfmother, but that debut album is a terrific slab of stoner/grunge rock.  From start to finish it's filled with really great songs and some awesome and heavy riffs.  Wolfmother and Andrew Stockdale never were able to back this up though.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2013, 04:48:32 AM »
despite the lineup change, I actually enjoy Cosmic Egg overall a little more than the debut.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2013, 07:08:36 AM »

What video is this? I was super confused by that Mike Patton comment, and I want to know what's going on.
Just search "Mike Patton Wolfmother" on You Tube.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2013, 08:22:54 AM »
ack in2l8 on the:
the only thing I know about wolfmother is patton's disdain.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2013, 02:02:17 PM »
despite the lineup change, I actually enjoy Cosmic Egg overall a little more than the debut.

Cosmic Egg was pretty good too, I just think the debut is untouchable.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2013, 04:05:07 PM »
UPDATE TIME!

47.   Bad Religion – The Empire Strikes First (2004)

Back in middle school I thought that punk was the greatest music around, and Bad Religion was the greatest band ever. I still love these guys, but this record in particular really stands out to me. Greg Graffin (Ph.D) has always been on point with his writing, and the musicianship is never far behind, and this record, to me, was the best of both worlds. It’s not just “fuck the government” over a bunch of power chords. Graffin was able to eloquently voice his displeasure while the rest of the band was able to create a sonic background that was more than just some kids in a garage with some shitty instruments.

Favorite Song(s): Sinister Rouge, Let Them Eat War, Los Angeles is Burning

46.   Local Natives – Gorilla Manor: (2010)

Local Natives is a band that I discovered while scouring YouTube for really cool music, and I’m so glad that I did. I have yet to check out their newest record “Hummingbird,” but just listening to this one is enough for me at the moment. Every song is able to distinguish itself from the one before without killing the vibe of the album making it very cool to listen to because each songs seems very different, but there isn’t a song that doesn’t fit which many albums suffer with. This was one of the first albums I listened to when I really started to get into the indie rock scene, and this is probably the record that got me into many of the bands that I now listen to.

Favorite Song(s): Sun Hands, Camera Talk, Who Knows Who Cares, Wide Eyes

45.   Minus the Bear – Menos el Oso (2005)

Minus the Bear are a band that I still have yet to get into more of their stuff, but this record is on a level with most of the other albums on this list. There’s a bit of an electronic feel that I absolutely love, but it’s not too much to take over the music. They’re very good at blending synths with an indie-pop sound that is unmistakable. My sister kept telling me to check these guys out, especially this record, and it took me the better part of a year to finally listen to her and give them a try, and technically I still haven’t really got into them, but if you only listen to one record from Minus the Bear, this is definitely the one to check out.

Favorite Song(s): Hooray, The Fix, Memphis and 53rd,

I don't expect many of you guys to have heard of Local Natives or Minus the Bear, but I'm sure there are a few of you out there that have listened to Bad Religion before.
prog sucks

Offline SoundscapeMN

Re: PuffyPat's Top 50 Albums v WHO IS THIS WHITE MAN? 47-45 NOW POSTED!
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2013, 08:59:52 PM »
I happen to love Local Natives, and as far as Hummingbird, it's a bit different than Gorilla Manor, but still quite good. It's more dreamy and methodical, but more or less every song still has something to enjoy. I would also suggest if you never checked out their tunes when they were known as Cavil at Rest, you probably would enjoy them. The original version of Sun Hands was even recorded when they were CaR.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2013, 09:27:16 PM »
I happen to love Local Natives, and as far as Hummingbird, it's a bit different than Gorilla Manor, but still quite good. It's more dreamy and methodical, but more or less every song still has something to enjoy. I would also suggest if you never checked out their tunes when they were known as Cavil at Rest, you probably would enjoy them. The original version of Sun Hands was even recorded when they were CaR.

I'll have to check that out.
prog sucks

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2013, 06:24:43 AM »
Sorry for lack of an update yesterday. My buddy is back from the army for the week, and we had a marathon GTA V session. I'll get a few hours of sleep, and most likely update in the evening (5-6 p.m. EST). Goodnight two or three people who are going to read this. I love you! :heart
prog sucks

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2013, 06:40:31 AM »
Still with you mate - even though I've only ever heard of Wolfmother and Sepultura so far ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
Re: PuffyPat's Top 50 Albums v WHO IS THIS WHITE MAN? 44-42 ARE UP!
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2013, 08:54:38 AM »
Well, my weekend was much busier than I had originally anticipated, and I didn't have time for any updates, but I'm back and ready to go, so let's get to it.

44.   Andrew W.K. – I Get Wet (2001)

PARTY, PARTY, PARTY! That’s most of what this record is about; a “concept” album about partying, and who better to make one than the Party King, Andrew W.K. He was able to make a record that is in your face, but isn’t just a bunch of power chords and riffs. Well, most of it is, but it works because the musicianship is on a pretty high level for an album about partying. My favorite part of this record is how he’s able to poke fun at power metal, while not sacrificing the music. I debated putting this record on the list for a while, but in the end I realized I had to because of the effect that it has on me. I’ve never been more pumped listening to an album in my entire life.

Favorite Song(s): She is Beautiful, Ready to Die, Party Hard, I Love NYC

43.   Foo Fighters – Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace (2010): Long Road to Ruin

The Foo’s were my first favorite band when I was 9 or 10, and I’ve stuck with them for the last 11 years, but I’ve realized that most of their records had some great songs (Everlong might be THE best song), but were never really tied together. Then Echoes, Silence, Patience, & Grace came along, and I couldn’t contain myself. Dave finally put together an entire record that just rocked from beginning to end, and I was more excited for this record than I ever thought I would be. From the get go I had a sense that this was going to be a good one, and I wasn’t wrong.

Favorite Song(s): Long Road to Ruin, The Pretender, Home, But, Honestly

42.   The Raconteurs – Broken Boy Soldiers (2006)

I’m a huge Jack White fan, which means that most of his project I love (haven’t really listened to The Dead Weather, but I’ll get around to it), and this record fits right into what I love about jack white. His signature guitar sound is prevalent, but doesn’t outshine the rest of the band. Unlike The White Stripes, The Raconteurs don’t rely heavily on Jack for the guitars, but are instead a group effort of two guitars and bass which give it a more full sound that is easier to get into. There are a lot of different sounds on this one record with each song really adding its own energy to the record giving it a pretty unique overall feel which is something that I’m always looking for in a record.

Favorite Song(s): Steady as She Goes, Level, Intimate Secretary, Blue Veins

Seeing as I missed two updates this weekend, I might update later today, but it depends on how busy I am because I have class all day, but if there is enough interest I might persuaded to.
prog sucks

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Re: PuffyPat's Top 50 Albums v WHO IS THIS WHITE MAN? (Sorry for the delay)
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2013, 09:04:58 AM »
3 fantastic albums? Hell yeah  :tup

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2013, 01:00:21 PM »
I love that Raconteurs album!  Blue Veins live owns everything.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2013, 03:33:06 PM »
I love that Raconteurs album!  Blue Veins live owns everything.

Definitely. It just has so much more. The first time I heard it was from a live video of theirs, and it just blew my mind. I really hope I get to see them live at some point because seeing them do that song live would be such an experience.
prog sucks

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2013, 06:28:09 PM »
Andrew W.K. :heart

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2013, 08:15:32 PM »
Gah, I missed Minus the Bear on the list, I love the They Make Beer Commercials Like This EP.  Dog Park :heart They're the kings of humourous song/album titles :lol

Loving this list so far, will be following sans pants.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2013, 04:35:13 PM »
UPDATE!

41.   Coheed & Cambria – In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3 (2003)

Now for an album that most people on here will know, and most likely know! What can I say about this record that hasn't already been said? Nothing, really, but that doesn’t mean I can’t gush over it. I remember seeing the video for “A Favor House Atlantic,” and being really confused, but intrigued at the same time. The video was strange, but the song was on another level of good. My sister already had the album as I figured out in the coming weeks after hearing the song for the first time, and I was hooked. I’ve listened to most of their stuff since, and, for me, nothing does it like this record. It’s diverse, fun, easy to get into, and just an all-around fantastic record. Claudio’s vocals are what did it for me, though. That voice is just a thing of beauty.

Favorite Song(s): A Favor House Atlantic, The Camper Velourium II: Backend of Forever, Three Evils (Embodied in Love and Shadow)

40.   Weezer – Weezer (1994)

Weezer is a very strange band. They are extremely good, but Rivers Cuomo seems to be very uncomfortable with his songwriting (I believe he said that after Pinkerton came out), and instead of writing what comes to him naturally, he changed his style a little (more so in the last few years). However, all of that is moot because of how mind blowingly good their debut was. “The Blue Album” as most call it, was a great for Weezer to introduce themselves to the world. It has a poppy feel, but isn’t just an album of singles (even though there were a ton). “Buddy Holly” was my first taste of the record, much like Coheed, I saw the video when I was kid, and had to check out more of what Weezer were doing, and the rest of the album did not disappoint.

Favorite Song(s): Undone (The Sweater Song), Say it Ain't So, Buddy Holly, Surf Wax America

39.   Jack White – Blunderbuss (2012)

And here we have more Jack White (there’s only one more, I promise). A lot of people weren’t as impressed with his debut solo record as I was, and I’m totally okay with that. I was extremely excited for this record especially after news that the White Stripes were disbanding. I was kind of expecting White Stripes 2.0, and while there are some songs that could have been Stripes’ songs, it’s more than just a rehashing of his old band. There’s more than just a garage sound of drums and guitar. The instrumentations that he was able to use now that it wasn’t just him and Meg, allowed him to really present a refreshing album that wasn’t just 12 new White Stripes songs with bass and piano added. My favorite part of this album was his performance at the Grammys. MASSIVE SLAYAGE. Oh, and Daru Jones, his live drummer, is a MONSTER.

Favorite Song(s): Trash Tongue Talker, Sixteen Saltines, I'm Shakin', Freedom at 21

With every new post, I just want to listen to these records again. Especially Blunderbuss right now.
prog sucks

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2013, 04:37:40 PM »
NEVER apologise for much Jack White.  I wasn't too taken with Blunderbuss, I really love I'm Shakin' and Sixteen Saltines tho.  The drummer for his all-woman band used to date Jeff Buckley.  Fun fact.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2013, 04:41:23 PM »
NEVER apologise for much Jack White.  I wasn't too taken with Blunderbuss, I really love I'm Shakin' and Sixteen Saltines tho.  The drummer for his all-woman band used to date Jeff Buckley.  Fun fact.

If I hadn't decided to only have one album per band, there would be A LOT more Jack White (like 4 or 5 more of his albums). I love almost everything he's done. The exception is The Dead Weather, which I haven't even listened to at all, but I have a feeling I would like them (just a hunch).
prog sucks

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
Re: PuffyPat's Top 50 Albums v WHO IS THIS WHITE MAN? 44-42 ARE UP!
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2013, 04:42:30 PM »
Well, my weekend was much busier than I had originally anticipated, and I didn't have time for any updates, but I'm back and ready to go, so let's get to it.

44.   Andrew W.K. – I Get Wet (2001)

PARTY, PARTY, PARTY! That’s most of what this record is about; a “concept” album about partying, and who better to make one than the Party King, Andrew W.K. He was able to make a record that is in your face, but isn’t just a bunch of power chords and riffs. Well, most of it is, but it works because the musicianship is on a pretty high level for an album about partying. My favorite part of this record is how he’s able to poke fun at power metal, while not sacrificing the music. I debated putting this record on the list for a while, but in the end I realized I had to because of the effect that it has on me. I’ve never been more pumped listening to an album in my entire life.

Favorite Song(s): She is Beautiful, Ready to Die, Party Hard, I Love NYC

YOU BETTER GET READY TO DIE
YOU BETTER GET READY TO KILL
YOU BETTER GET READY TO RUN, CAUSE HERE WE COOOOOOOOOOOOOOME
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
Re: PuffyPat's Top 50 Albums v WHO IS THIS WHITE MAN? 42-39 NOW POSTED!
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2013, 04:43:44 PM »
I love almost everything he's done.

I'm much the same, although The Dead Weather are kinda hit and miss for me.  Although they have some great songs, and its fun to see Jack on drums live.

Interested to see what White Stripes album you have on this list.... De Stijl and Get Behind Me Satan are my favourites but I would be happy with any one of them  :yarr

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
Re: PuffyPat's Top 50 Albums v WHO IS THIS WHITE MAN? 41-39 NOW POSTED!
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2013, 07:09:12 PM »
I just realized that Coheed should have been much higher in 41. I don't know what I was thinking.
prog sucks

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2013, 07:10:47 PM »
That Weezer album is good.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2013, 03:51:46 AM »