Author Topic: Question on Stage Equipment from Luna Park Footage  (Read 1009 times)

Offline getthecarfredo

• I don't mind getting the car.
Question on Stage Equipment from Luna Park Footage
« on: November 27, 2013, 02:34:29 PM »
On the Luna Park footage, what looks like a black oil filter on a mic stand, with a cable running into the bottom, is posted near each of the band members (i.e. along the front of the stage, on the drum kit).

Each one of these things has what appears to be four evenly spaced holes? cameras? microphones? around the outside.

Curious if any of you live-performance gurus can enlighten me as to what they are.  It’s driving me nuts!

Thanks for any help!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Question on Stage Equipment from Luna Park Footage
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 02:48:37 PM »
It actually is an oil filter.  Remember on the "in the studio" clips they were releasing, where JP talked about trying to get that thick, rich, creamy "chocolate cake" tone for this guitar?  Well, prior to that, on the tour, he was only going for thick and rich, and the best way to get that was with a more oil-based guitar tone.  Problem was, oil tends to gunk things up, so they had to have oil filters to make sure that didn't happen.  They had a few of them around the stage because John Petrucci's guitar tone is everywhere.  You just can't contain it.

Actually, in all seriousness, those are the 3D/360 cameras.  It's been discussed in other threads, but is buried in the discussion.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 03:00:23 PM »
It actually is an oil filter.  Remember on the "in the studio" clips they were releasing, where JP talked about trying to get that thick, rich, creamy "chocolate cake" tone for this guitar?  Well, prior to that, on the tour, he was only going for thick and rich, and the best way to get that was with a more oil-based guitar tone.  Problem was, oil tends to gunk things up, so they had to have oil filters to make sure that didn't happen.  They had a few of them around the stage because John Petrucci's guitar tone is everywhere.  You just can't contain it.
:rollin
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline getthecarfredo

• I don't mind getting the car.
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 03:13:38 PM »
Haha... Classic.  One trick I WON'T be trying in order to get better tone...

Thanks for the answer, though.  I tried to search but the results were all over the place.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 06:14:06 PM »
I'm schmart. 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 09:02:47 PM »
On the Luna Park footage, what looks like a black oil filter on a mic stand, with a cable running into the bottom, is posted near each of the band members (i.e. along the front of the stage, on the drum kit).

Each one of these things has what appears to be four evenly spaced holes? cameras? microphones? around the outside.

Curious if any of you live-performance gurus can enlighten me as to what they are.  It’s driving me nuts!

Thanks for any help!

It sounds like it's probably the 360 degree Mativision cameras for the 3D feature.
edit: Oop, didn't notice bosk gave a serious answer after his post. :lol Myung'd!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.