Author Topic: ARK - Burn The Sun  (Read 2521 times)

Offline NotePad

ARK - Burn The Sun
« on: November 19, 2013, 02:19:37 PM »
I bought this album awhile back and it's been one of my favorite albums ever since. It's amazing. Beautiful. Just simply beautiful. The sound the band captured on this record was perfect. I'v always believed that if the band had stayed together they could have been quite successful. Their sound and style worked on so many levels. If they stayed together, I think they could have reached a high point of commercial success. It's a shame.

I have heard their first self-titled first album. It's really good too. It had more of a 'prog' rock/metal sound. With Burn The Sun, ARK presented tighter songs, and were progressive more on a song by song basis, as opposed to doing drawn out songs that changed sound and tempos within themselves, like Dream Theater for example. The album Burn The Sun explored so many different sounds, like Latin/flamenco guitar, tribal drumming, metal, classic rock, and pop music. They combined so many different elements to create an album with such an overall unique feeling.

I can't say enough good things about this album and this band. Tore Ostby, Jorn Lande, and everyone else are such unique musicians. It was amazing for them to come together. I just wish they stated together. After Burn The Sun, Jorn Lande left the band but ARK continued to write a new album and even found a new singer apparently. Then that never ended up going anywhere and ARK was no more.

Such a shame. But after doing some digging, I discovered that Tore Ostby has actually been working with the drummer of Pain of Salvation. They've been writing songs and plan on finding a singer and bass player. What I heard is that the style they're exploring apparently continues where ARK left off. That is amazing! I really hope this works out.

Anyways, is anyone else a fan of ARK? In particular, Burn The Sun? I'd love to hear what others think of this band.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: ARK - Burn The Sun
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 02:20:57 PM »
Amazing album. One of Jorn's best performances, though I would give a slight edge to the Avantasia albums.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 02:30:50 PM »
I'm not following. Was Jorn on an Avantasia album?

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 02:35:31 PM »
Yes, he was on three, in fact. The Scarecrow, The Wicked Symphony, and Angel Of Babylon.

All three are excellent.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 03:00:39 PM »
Great album, I really enjoyed the variety of songs.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 03:59:54 PM »
Burn the Sun is one of the best progressive albums I've ever heard and it's criminally underrated. Their debut is definitely more prog and pretty hard to get into and nowhere near as good as Burn the Sun.  Jorn's performance on BTS is killer and the variety within the album is terrific.

Such a shame. But after doing some digging, I discovered that Tore Ostby has actually been working with the drummer of Pain of Salvation. They've been writing songs and plan on finding a singer and bass player. What I heard is that the style they're exploring apparently continues where ARK left off. That is amazing! I really hope this works out.

There were rumors that Tore was doing a new Ark album without Jorn, but unfortunately nothing ever enventuated.  Hopefully he returns with something soon.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 04:53:02 PM »
Love it.  Just cranked it (the CD you pervs) while cleaning the house last weekend.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 04:58:36 PM »
Missing You is one of the best and most emotional ballads I've ever heard.

And Feed the Fire is one of the best AOR songs I've ever heard.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 10:47:02 PM »
I bought this album when I dove headlong into prog metal and buying albums online-like 800 CDs in a year-and it didn't quite click with me, and the resulting deluge of music I bought kind of buried it. Need to dig it up and give it another shot.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 01:31:10 AM »
I appear to be the only dissenting voice.

I've had this album for years but it doesn't do anything for me at all. I play it now and again waiting for it to hit but it just doesn't. Prog metal by numbers for me and I'm not the Jorn fan others are. Lots of people who's opinions on music I respect say it's awesome but  to me it just... isn't. I'll keep trying.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 03:01:33 AM »
I'm sort of surpirsed you don't like it Paul, I thought it would be right up your alley.  All good though, those are opinions for you.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 05:19:57 AM »

I've had this album for years but it doesn't do anything for me at all. I play it now and again waiting for it to hit but it just doesn't. Prog metal by numbers for me and I'm not the Jorn fan others are. Lots of people who's opinions on music I respect say it's awesome but  to me it just... isn't. I'll keep trying.
Lowdz, you're not alone on this.

You can't say it's not a solid album, but if don't know, I'm with you on Jorn. Just doesn't speak to me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 05:34:05 AM »
Listening again now. Hmm. The Coverdale-isms on the 1st track put me off, but I don't find Jorn's voice pleasant to listen to here.

Torn sounds like everyone's playing a different song...

Don't like the drums, they're all over the place. Bass is annoying. There's nothing grounding the music, everyone's off doing their own thing. No hooks.

Resurrection is ok.
Absolute Zero sounds like Bjork. Chorus is ok but those verses...  :tdwn

It's not going well.

But that's just me. Glad you all like it.  :biggrin:

Edit: Waking Hour is good. Feed The Fire has Jorn doing Sting... Missing You is good.

Album got better as it went, though the verses are poor, they sound too jam-my to me, the choruses are ok. Sounds like a jam session with verses added. And the drums are too much. Not enough laying down a groove.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 05:42:44 AM by Lowdz »

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2013, 09:11:31 AM »
Dug Burn The Sun out-literally, it was in a box under my bed, that's how many CDs I own-and gave it a listen, and while it's better than I remembered by a far distance, and bearing in mind I love Jorn Lande's voice normally, I'm not sure if this music really was calling for all the Coverdale-isms that Jorn throws at it. Makes the album a bit off putting at times. I think this is an album that has a reputation that exceeds the reality, probably because the band never did another album, so Burn the Sun got a lot of "oh man, what they COULD have done." Good, but not great album.

...holy fuck, the opening riff to Noose is near identical to a riff in This Dying Soul.  :lol
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 09:22:32 AM by Jaq »
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2013, 10:22:34 AM »
It's worth noting that Burn The Sun was released two years before Train Of Thought.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2013, 10:25:08 AM »

No you're not the only one, I totally agree.
I much prefer the killer debut album, it was quirky, even weird in places and uncomfortable listening, but is a pretty unique album.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2013, 02:55:34 AM »
Yea, i couple years back there were rumors they were getting ark back together, without Jorn. But that died. But before they officially disbanded they were writing a new album and apparently had found a new singer. Then they broke up. i said this already didn't it?

Looking forward to what Tore does next.

I really really think Burn The Sun is where ARK really found their sound. It was less "Prog" sounding then their first album. BTS was more cohesive. The songs sounded tighter, and just overall better and simply amazing! Really suck Jorn left, because I'm certain that was led them to disband. BTS mixed styles in such a way that it just sounded ARK. It was just their sound. I know commercial success was going to find them at some point if they kept going.

Fuck you Jorn Lande. You start so many great bands, then leave them hanging. Why do people still form bands with him? His reputation is that he's a pretty self-centered person, and really just wants his name JORN out there. But his solo stuff just isn't very good. Voice is great of course. But he is not a good song writer, or hires band songwriters for his solo stuff. I know it's supposed to be more rock and not metal, but it's just not very good even if you go in knowing that.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2018, 06:48:21 AM »
In light of the recently announced Conception reunion, I've been revisiting Tore Ostby's catalogue of work. Gotta say, Burn the Sun might just be Tore's best album all-in-all. I'm normally not a fan of Jorn Lande's voice, but he gives one hell of a performance on this album and the rest of the band has terrific chemistry with each other. Burn the Sun feels like a proggier blend of Fates Warning's Parallels and Dream Theater's Awake.

Someone in the Conception thread was saying they'd rather see ARK reunite over Conception and I can kinda get why someone would say that after revisiting this album. But considering two of the former members of ARK are now dead and Jorn's long established reputation for never sticking with a band for long, I think Tore's probably better off reuniting with Roy.

But man, if Tore and John Macaluso were ever willing to give ARK another try with a new singer and felt comfortable finding a new bassist and keyboardist... I'd be there day one. :metal
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 07:04:07 AM by Mister Gold »
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Art

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2018, 07:57:55 AM »
Burn the Sun is an absolute masterpiece. Top 3 prog album for me.

But hey, if Conception got back toghether, it would be very cool. 

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2018, 08:12:51 AM »
Burn the Sun is an absolute masterpiece. Top 3 prog album for me.

But hey, if Conception got back toghether, it would be very cool.

Yeah, it's quickly rising up the ranks for me too. I'm not sure where I'd rank it among my all-time favorites just yet, but it's a stunning album from start-to-finish. :metal

Conception just got back together a few days ago! They'll be releasing an EP later in the year. We're talking about that over in the Conception thread.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Art

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2018, 09:46:02 AM »
I had no idea! Nice!  :metal

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2018, 10:15:54 AM »
Excellent album.  :metal

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2018, 07:26:50 PM »
I had no idea! Nice!  :metal

I'm still a bit stunned that it's happening. :lol I never would have guessed that Roy might jump back into the music scene again.

Excellent album.  :metal

Seriously. It's a gem of an album. :metal
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2018, 04:28:35 AM »
This album made my top 50.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2023, 04:36:45 PM »
Big massive bump here.

I revisited Ark's Burn the Sun, which I hadn't listened in YEARS, and it's even better than I remembered. I already had it up there in my desert island albums (top 10) but I don't know, I believe this album can make it all the way to my top 3 (SFAM, PF's The Division Bell).

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2023, 04:39:36 PM »
This album made my top 50.

Probably in mine too.  Likely the finest work from Lande, Macaluso, and Coven. 

Offline nick_z

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2023, 05:11:21 PM »
Couldn't agree more. One of my favorite prog metal-adjacent albums of the new millennium  :)

...and I would not forget the contributions of Tore Østby...fantastic guitar player, never flashy, always super tasteful.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2023, 03:40:26 AM »
Woah!  Mega bump.  Was kind of excited there for a second when I saw this resurrected.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2023, 05:19:11 PM »
 :laugh: yeah likewise thought 'Oooh what have we here then?' LOL

All good, BTS remains a favorite of mine too and concur with OP further down the thread where NotePad cracks at Jorn for leaving so many projects because I completely agree Masterplan being a slight exception albeit ruined by Jorn's lack of consistency back when and as a sidenote gotta say I do still enjoy his solo work think Traveller was one of of his best in a catalogue that was somewhat hit and miss towards its back half...

Anyway, off to play Burn The Sun again!