Author Topic: JP Live tone at luna park  (Read 2316 times)

Offline shredding

JP Live tone at luna park
« on: November 14, 2013, 03:19:15 PM »
Being mixed loud aside, do you guys find the tone better than any live recordings they have done before? Sound like he has got that growl back.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

Re: JP Live tone at luna park
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 07:49:40 PM »
The chorus effect is a bit much to be used in all the songs, but its still quite enjoyable and crunchy.  I'm just worried that years from now we will hear his live tone for this DVD and it will sound very dated.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 07:12:43 AM »
Overall, I liked his tone, really nice and heavy and gritty.  I posted previously in another thread, that if he was a little further back in the mix with the other instruments, I think the chorus/delay effects would make a little more sense.  For example, I'm pretty sure he was using about the same amount of chorus and delay sounds in Score, but they seem to fit better in the content of the band because the guitar in general is sitting back in the mix blended with the group a little better.  LaLP just takes his tone and puts it very much in front.  As a guitar player, I like to hear a lot of guitar so it doesn't really bother me most of the time during the DVD.

Also, I thought his lead sounds on LaLP were really, really nice. I don't think I've seen anyone mention that, but all his leads really sing!  :metal

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 07:50:19 AM »
Way too much Chorus on the guitar.  WAY too much. 

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 07:55:03 AM »

This.

I liked his sound on Score a bit better.  He wasn't as out in front on Score either. 

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 08:11:13 AM »
Agreed.
On Score it was further back in the mix and blended great with the other instruments.  :metal

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 09:35:18 AM »

I have to agree. It's nearing the point of sounding very synthesized ala Pat Travers. I'm not a fan of the tone but his performance was still very rocking!

Also, I thought his lead sounds on LaLP were really, really nice. I don't think I've seen anyone mention that, but all his leads really sing!  :metal

I also must agree with this.  :metal
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 09:26:08 AM »
If I remember correctly, his tone on LSFNY was pretty amazing. And compare TSCO (Score) to TSCO (Luna Park), his lead sound seems thin on the latter. It's still miles away from bad tone though.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Cable

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 12:05:11 PM »
If I remember correctly, his tone on LSFNY was pretty amazing. And compare TSCO (Score) to TSCO (Luna Park), his lead sound seems thin on the latter. It's still miles away from bad tone though.

Agreed. And even though I am critical of the tone, it is still indeed very good.

I think his tone has basically peaked since around the 8V tour. I say this as a Rectifier fan, so I'm biased towards the ToT tour, and more specifically the tone on WDADRU (loved it).

There was something a little off to me with LFSNY rhythm tone, but for the sake of JM being mixed a lot higher, and without any over-saturated effect rhythm tone I loved it much more than now. CiM and LP are very similar to me; too thin and effects laden too often.
---

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2013, 01:41:56 PM »
That was the first thing I noticed on LALP, that the guitar sound wasn't all that good. So yeah, he's had better.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2013, 07:51:56 PM »
The delay is fine, but I also agree that there was way too much chorus. Very 80's.

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2013, 08:36:25 PM »

I liked his sound on Score a bit better.  He wasn't as out in front on Score either.

In my opinion, I think his tone is better on the Luna Park (and CiM) DVD. More crunch to it. I feel it was rather thin on Score. Specifically the opening riffs in Raise The Knife and About To Crash reprise. Didn't have as much punch to them as the studio versions.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2013, 09:49:38 PM »
Budokan has my favourite JP guitar tone. His tone on Score and LALP is a bit trebly, I think due to the chorusy effect, so I don't like it as much as his Budokan tone, but I still have no problem with it.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2013, 05:07:46 AM »
Probably not worth starting a new thread about it, but since this is a bit of a related subject:

What's his best album tone?

I'm thinking 'Awake', followed by 'Six Degrees'. The good, open sounding rock tone award should go to 'Falling Into Infinity', but that's not the JP tone he's really known for.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2013, 05:54:39 AM »
Probably not worth starting a new thread about it, but since this is a bit of a related subject:

What's his best album tone?

I'm thinking 'Awake', followed by 'Six Degrees'. The good, open sounding rock tone award should go to 'Falling Into Infinity', but that's not the JP tone he's really known for.
I think that would be an interesting thread. If anything, Awake is probably my least favorite of all, I don't like that overly distorted guitar tone. The Mirror & Lie just sound so thin and ugly to my ears, not a characteristic DT sound at all. Other than that, JP's tone is great everywhere. DT12 lived up to the whole chocolate cake hype, FII and SDOIT are highlights indeed (About to Crash Reprise - :metal), Budokan is his best live tone hands off and I also really liked his solo tone for ADTOE (LNF - so juicy).

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2013, 07:43:47 AM »
I love the intro to About To Crash Reprise - that's the sound of a *perfectly* intonanted guitar that would sound awful on most other guitars that aren't perfectly in tune :lol

Offline shredding

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2013, 11:44:08 AM »

In my opinion, I think his tone is better on the Luna Park (and CiM) DVD. More crunch to it. I feel it was rather thin on Score. Specifically the opening riffs in Raise The Knife and About To Crash reprise. Didn't have as much punch to them as the studio versions.

I will have to agree with this. I think he had that crunch back finally. Budokan on the other hand is way too loose for me. I like the tight sound of Marks v.s. the loose rectifier sound.

Offline shredding

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2013, 02:30:29 PM »
I also don't know what most guys here mean by "thin". I just did a side by side comparison of spirit carries on solo between LP and score and LP's solo tone sounds thicker. Now if you mean the rhythm tone, LP's rhythm tone is much tighter than Budokan b/c it's a mark v not a roadking or rectifier. But I won't use the word "thin" to describe a tight tone v.s. a recto's loose tone.