Author Topic: Bobby Jarzombek turned down the DT drummer audition back in 2010.  (Read 3038 times)

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
Here it is (among other things):

https://gtdspod.wordpress.com/

B.Lee

« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 03:19:50 AM by Bertielee »
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Bobby Jarzombek turned down the DT drummer audition back in 2010.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 05:50:06 AM »
Yea i've heard it before but it's nice to hear it from Bobby himself and his view on the whole thing.

Thx for sharing!  :tup
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 07:34:18 AM »
Cool! Thanx for sharing the link. BTW, does anyone know who the other drummers were that turned down the audition (I think there were 3 total)?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 07:38:50 AM »
Cool interview, though I skipped to the DT part.  Looking at that photo of him, his voice doesn't match.   :lol

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 07:39:44 AM »
Too bad he didn't audition, he was one of the first drummers i thought would be great for DT along with Mangini. He is an outstanding player, absolutely a beast of a drummer.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 08:04:36 AM »
Interesting. I had a feeling there were a few drummers at the audition that felt similarly, but just wanted a chance, and to audition with DT. But some of them really felt like they lacked the confidence of attitude, in that "I'm not the right guy for this" way.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 08:16:25 AM »
My impression was that Derek Roddy and Virgil Donati did it just because they were asked (though I would have loved to hear DT jam some more with Virgil), Thomas Lang and Marco Minnemann might have accepted had they been offered the job, but they weren't 100% into it and the rest genuinely wanted the gig, albeit neither Peter Wildoer nor Aquiles Priester (that guy looked like he had zero confidence, pretty weird considering how high level he is) would have been a good fit.

Funny thing, except for MM, all the drummers who auditioned were either non-native English speakers or had a speech impediment. Maybe they also took that into consideration.  :lol

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 08:25:58 AM »
Other than Mike, I would have chosen Marco.  I enjoy watching him immensely and he has a quirkiness that would have fit well with the other guys.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 08:39:59 AM »
Funny thing, except for MM, all the drummers who auditioned were either non-native English speakers or had a speech impediment. Maybe they also took that into consideration.  :lol
I just read the bit in Lifting Shadows where MP says the fact that Jens Johansson wasn't American played part in DT not hiring him to replace KevMo, and I think the same factor may have been taken into account in the drummer auditions.

Offline moof

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 09:09:01 AM »
Speaking in purely fantasy terms, I'd have loved to see DT with Axe from Opeth on the drums.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 10:33:26 AM »
My impression was that Derek Roddy and Virgil Donati did it just because they were asked (though I would have loved to hear DT jam some more with Virgil), Thomas Lang and Marco Minnemann might have accepted had they been offered the job, but they weren't 100% into it and the rest genuinely wanted the gig, albeit neither Peter Wildoer nor Aquiles Priester (that guy looked like he had zero confidence, pretty weird considering how high level he is) would have been a good fit.

Somebody a while ago said Roddy just had a particularly strong Floridian accent.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 10:35:26 AM »
I had to google who this guy is.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 11:24:04 AM »
Yeah, watching it again today. I immediately sensed the connection with Mangini. He was truly into it, as was Minneman. I really liked Thomas Lang's audition, though. Got a real strange vibe with Donati (plus the fact he´s almost unintelligable when he´s talking). Felt sorry for Aquilles Priester, he´s a great drummer but lacked confidence. Wildower was another great contender, but I have a feeling they were going for someone who was an outgoing type, like Mangini or Minneman.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline FracturedMirror

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2013, 11:50:05 AM »
Speaking in purely fantasy terms, I'd have loved to see DT with Axe from Opeth on the drums.

That comment is especially interesting to me.  Because when MP left, the one guy I really wished had a shot at the job was Martin Lopez.  I loved the stuff he played with Opeth.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 12:06:02 PM by FracturedMirror »

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2013, 12:55:43 PM »
I remember Bobby was rumoured to be one of the candidates 3 years ago. I haven't heard his playing until recently when I bought the new Fates Warning album, but he kicks ass on that record.

That comment is especially interesting to me.  Because when MP left, the one guy I really wished had a shot at the job was Martin Lopez.  I loved the stuff he played with Opeth.
Lopez is a great drummer, but I bet touring with DT would've been even harder for his health than touring with Opeth was.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2013, 01:08:54 PM »
Cool! Thanx for sharing the link. BTW, does anyone know who the other drummers were that turned down the audition (I think there were 3 total)?
Not sure why I believe this, but it thought Mark Zonder may have.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol