Author Topic: Good progressive metal bands  (Read 11481 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Good progressive metal bands
« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2013, 12:14:34 PM »
I'm going to go and suggest Caligula's Horse who disappointingly few seem to know of.
Their first album can be listened to here:
https://caligulashorse.com/
And their second here:
https://welkinrecords.bandcamp.com/

Both are really good though I've only listened to the second a few times so I can still enjoy it once I get around to buying it. Really, really good stuff though.

Offline DT3930

« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2013, 03:46:39 PM »
Give Distorted Harmony a try. They quickly became one of my favourite bands after hearing Kono Yume from their album Utopia. You can listen to it here: https://distortedharm0ny.bandcamp.com/

Offline davidolson22

« Reply #72 on: November 19, 2013, 07:57:44 PM »
I think we've given the guy more than enough to go check out.  Might have scared the shit out his wallet though.

You scared mine. Damn. Why doesn't my local library carry anything I actually want to listen to!!! My only glimer of hope is I've already listened to abotu 3% of the bands listened, so I don't have to buy them all!

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #73 on: November 19, 2013, 08:48:37 PM »
Even though i helped, here's some advice: give up progressive metal  :rollin
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #74 on: November 20, 2013, 02:12:22 AM »
I think we've given the guy more than enough to go check out.  Might have scared the shit out his wallet though.

You scared mine. Damn. Why doesn't my local library carry anything I actually want to listen to!!! My only glimer of hope is I've already listened to abotu 3% of the bands listened, so I don't have to buy them all!

You got Spotify where you live? It's saved me thousands.

Offline davidolson22

« Reply #75 on: November 20, 2013, 09:24:37 AM »
You got Spotify where you live? It's saved me thousands.
[/quote]

i think so, I live in the U.S.A. Now I just have to figure out what it is, lol.

(later) Looked it up, looks interesting.  I've been using Pandora and Itunes radio, but they have a rather limited selection, and tend to play only singles. I'm gonna try this for a while see how it goes.

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
« Reply #76 on: November 20, 2013, 07:43:56 PM »
Milliontown is MUCH better

I'm on that one now!  I hear some Peter Gabriel influences, which is funny since the album cover uses the same red phone booth that PG used on tour during the song "Come Talk to Me" in the early 1990s.  Also, funny that the band's name is Frost, 'cause their music makes my nipples hard as icycles!

Awww yiss. Blacklight Machine is just amazing.

Offline davidolson22

« Reply #77 on: November 20, 2013, 07:53:08 PM »
Going through these as I have time. Some turned out to be power metal. Others were quite surprising.

Did discover Pain of Salvation. They blew my mind away, now I have to get a mop to clean up the pieces of brain that exploded onto the floor.

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #78 on: November 21, 2013, 02:25:38 AM »
Did discover Pain of Salvation. They blew my mind away, now I have to get a mop to clean up the pieces of brain that exploded onto the floor.
:tup
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline Dr_Chenko

• Accountability get some
« Reply #79 on: November 21, 2013, 07:46:36 AM »
 Yes thank you for the list got new bands to listen to!!

Offline bassbangered

• Media Manager | Bass Player | Hero in Training! 💪🏻
« Reply #80 on: November 22, 2013, 10:02:49 AM »
Thanks guys for all your suggestions. I have already listened to some of the bands you have all mentioned. I will definitely check out them out. I actually appreciate more when a band has more focus on melodies and song writing than technical flashiness. The frustration of not being able to find more progressive metal bands that I like has made me listen to other genres and that has actually been a good thing.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #81 on: November 22, 2013, 10:06:56 AM »
Yes thank you for the list got new bands to listen to!!

Now to get you a new avatar...   ;)

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #82 on: November 22, 2013, 10:11:11 AM »
Thanks guys for all your suggestions. I have already listened to some of the bands you have all mentioned. I will definitely check out them out. I actually appreciate more when a band has more focus on melodies and song writing than technical flashiness. The frustration of not being able to find more progressive metal bands that I like has made me listen to other genres and that has actually been a good thing.

What about this?
Seventh Key-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZADsH0hcEJU

Or this little jem  I found years ago when I was looking for (and pretty much failing to find) a new Images & Words.
7 Months
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWlh-FAGwBw

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: November 22, 2013, 10:29:18 AM »

Again FAIR TO MIDLAND!!!!

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #84 on: November 22, 2013, 10:31:04 AM »
^

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #85 on: November 23, 2013, 04:26:53 AM »
Riverside's Anno Domini High Definition is one of the best albums I've ever heard. Absolutely love the tone and character of the singer and the instrumentation is reminiscent of classic prog (lots of Hammond (+ real Leslie!), Moog and loud bass), with a heavier edge.

Another one here who adores Anno Domini: High Definition. I've said it elsewhere on the board recently, but it ranks as one of the most flawless albums I've ever gotten into, there isn't a moment that isn't perfect, it takes you on such a bad ass journey. Egoist Hedonist has such a disco vibe to it! I listened to it for the whole of my Sweden trip this Easter so every time I hear it I feel like I'm in a freeeeeeezing cold country on an eight hour train journey staring out of the window at snow, frost, trees covered in snow and frost, and massive expanses of frozen lake. Easily my favourite Riverside CD and probably in my top 20 CDs of all time.
I can definitely relate. Some Riverside songs instantly bring back intense memories and powerful feelings. Their music is really moody and memorable that way. I saw them live earlier this year, what I went through during Left Out cannot be done justice in words. What are your top 3 CDs?

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Tiko

• Keyboardist for The Storyline
« Reply #86 on: November 28, 2013, 10:10:03 AM »
I'll take a risk and dare to show my band's music here. We've released 2 videos and are currently working on the third.
We have about an albums worth of material composed and some of it already tracked...

So anyway,

Here's the first one, this is more on our rock side: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSV9aRr9qNc
And this second is on the metal side of us: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3halXv1b40

Let me know whether or not to get my coat and gtfo  :blush  :laugh:

- Tiko

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #87 on: November 28, 2013, 12:05:39 PM »
I'll take a risk and dare to show my band's music here. We've released 2 videos and are currently working on the third.
We have about an albums worth of material composed and some of it already tracked...

So anyway,

Here's the first one, this is more on our rock side: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSV9aRr9qNc
And this second is on the metal side of us: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3halXv1b40

- Tiko

That was surprisingly awesome stuff Tiko! Are you guys signed to any label over there in Finland? That was really really impressive for debut videos. Awesome riffs. Awesome vocals. Love the keys especially  :tup looking forward to more \m/

Offline Tiko

« Reply #88 on: November 28, 2013, 12:39:58 PM »
That was surprisingly awesome stuff Tiko! Are you guys signed to any label over there in Finland? That was really really impressive for debut videos. Awesome riffs. Awesome vocals. Love the keys especially  :tup looking forward to more \m/

Thanks man! We're not signed, we've been keeping under the radar until we can show our stuff properly - like these videos. There's more coming... a lot more  ;)

- Tiko

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #89 on: November 28, 2013, 01:13:46 PM »
I don't normally check out the music that people try to pimp around here, especially from a relatively new/unknown poster. Not sure why I did hear, but holy hell... sure glad I did.  There wasn't a damn thing about those two songs that I didn't love.  Hope you don't mind, but I had to d/l and convert them so I can listen to them repeatedly.

Liked on FB too.  Very nice stuff.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Tiko

« Reply #90 on: November 28, 2013, 01:36:49 PM »
I don't normally check out the music that people try to pimp around here, especially from a relatively new/unknown poster. Not sure why I did hear, but holy hell... sure glad I did.  There wasn't a damn thing about those two songs that I didn't love.  Hope you don't mind, but I had to d/l and convert them so I can listen to them repeatedly.

Thanks :D I know what you're saying. I almost didn't post here because of that very reason (as this isn't a show your own stuff -forum).
I'm glad you dig it! We're working hard to keep the songs coming out at a decent pace  :metal

- Tiko

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: December 02, 2013, 08:54:03 AM »
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 10:19:32 AM by wkiml »
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #92 on: December 02, 2013, 09:23:57 AM »

What about this?
Seventh Key-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZADsH0hcEJU

I must admit I'm a little surprised that so few know of Seventh Key.  I know them just from the fact that I'm a Kansas fan of old.  Decent stuff.  But then again, Kansas has really kinda disappeared into obscurity, even though they still tour.  But the setlists are just the same-old stuff.  Seventh Key is quite decent.  I would say it lies somewhere between Kansas' more poppy stuff, and Streets (Steve Walsh's "solo" band of two albums from the mid- to late-80s when he left Kansas).

But I also find it interesting that Redemption was listed, and no one mentioned Fates Warning.  I am on a BIG FW kick right now, and planning on seeing them in concert in Dallas this Thursday.  The brand-new FW album is VERY good.  I absolutely LOVE Ray Alder's voice.  Also, check out his band Engine.  Good stuff.
You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

Offline JLa

« Reply #93 on: December 03, 2013, 02:03:53 AM »

So anyway,

- Tiko

I want your album!

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #94 on: December 03, 2013, 07:34:43 AM »

So anyway,

- Tiko

Damn. Late to the party, but this is really, really damned good stuff.  :metal
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Tiko

« Reply #95 on: December 03, 2013, 08:09:55 AM »
I want your album!

Thanks guys ;) We have 4 songs to (partially) track & mix until we got an albums worth of stuff ready to go...
The good news is we'll be releasing new songs/videos on a regular basis until we get there :metal

I think I'll put up a new thread for our band when our next video is ready to keep you guys posted about updates!

- Tiko

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #96 on: December 03, 2013, 11:50:11 AM »

What ^he said  :tup

Offline NotePad

« Reply #97 on: December 08, 2013, 12:17:51 AM »
Check out ARK. Their first CD, their self-titled one, has a more traditional "prog" metal/rock sounds

Their second (and last) album Burn The Sun is simply amazing. Tighter songs overall, better songwriting. Just better and amazing.

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #98 on: December 10, 2013, 12:42:52 PM »
Check out ARK. Their first CD, their self-titled one, has a more traditional "prog" metal/rock sounds

Their second (and last) album Burn The Sun is simply amazing. Tighter songs overall, better songwriting. Just better and amazing.

That's because Jorn Lande is a Rock GOD.
You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #99 on: December 10, 2013, 11:16:25 PM »

That's because Jorn Lande is a Rock GOD.

He kind of is. Emphasis on Rock. Because he clearly wants to be associated more with Rock then Metal. I really believe that his time with his past bands like ARK and then Masterplan were just to get his name out and popular so that he could do his own thing, JORN. I'v heard some of the solo JORN songs and none of them impressed me. There was one whose name i dont remember that had a catchy chorus but thats it. That song like most of the other i heard sounded really pieced together. Like how Linkin Park writes their songs: They say they have like 30 songs written for a new album, but they need to be pieced together into real songs. But with JORNs stuff, it sounds really really pieced together. Fuck i wish Ark was still together.

All the Masterplan singers that replaced Jorn sound like Jorn Lande wannabes though, wouldn't you say?

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #100 on: December 11, 2013, 12:43:26 PM »
I think Jorn is good, but overrated, mostly by...himself  :lol

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #101 on: December 11, 2013, 12:47:29 PM »
Jorn is amazing when he's singing good material.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #102 on: December 11, 2013, 12:58:51 PM »
Jorn is amazing when he's singing good material.

ARK was amazing material. They found a new singer after him, and announced they were almost done writing a new album. They posted on their site with an amazing message about how they put everything into it, they put their lives onto the disc. Then they split. I'm sure that wouln't have happened if Jorn stayed. I think he saw more potential in Masterplan to get his name out there. Cuz from everything I'v  heard, his main goal is to gain popularity for himself, not whatever band he's in or was in. He wants to be Dio.

Too bad since I'm convinced ARK could have been huge if they had kept at it.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #103 on: December 11, 2013, 02:06:54 PM »
The only prog metal I listen to on the reg is Amorphis, Dream Theater, and Opeth.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline TexansDT

« Reply #104 on: December 21, 2013, 02:02:39 PM »
I want your album!

Thanks guys ;) We have 4 songs to (partially) track & mix until we got an albums worth of stuff ready to go...
The good news is we'll be releasing new songs/videos on a regular basis until we get there :metal

I think I'll put up a new thread for our band when our next video is ready to keep you guys posted about updates!

- Tiko

Tiko, I'm behind the times too, but wanted to echo the sentiment that this is some really strong stuff you and your mates have here. Have been listening to these two tunes a lot! Please keep us up to date!!!

- Eric
If I seem superhuman, I have been misunderstood...