Author Topic: Good progressive metal bands  (Read 11482 times)

Offline matt1722

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Good progressive metal bands
« Reply #105 on: December 21, 2013, 06:56:37 PM »
I don't think they've been mentioned yet (apologies if they have)

But The Mars Volta. Not always "metal" but still they were an amazing band. Francis The Mute is arguably their most popular album and a good place to start with them.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #106 on: December 21, 2013, 07:06:45 PM »
I only have Deloused In The Comatorium, but it's amazing.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #107 on: December 21, 2013, 10:36:26 PM »
I'm struggling with the term 'progressive' when it comes to music. In this case, 'progressive metal'. Guess i just notice that so many bands that are considered progressive rock or metal have many things in common with their music, which makes it more of a style/genre, as opposed to just being progressive with their music. But i guess that the point of why the genre 'progressive metal/rock' was created- it's a style. Mars Volta, Dream Theater, Symphony X, Rush, etc. If you listen to their music it's very obvious what it all has in common. But i think the proper title for this style/genre is 'Prog', a term that is used often.

Pink Floyd is progressive, not prog. Metallica is very progressive actually, they try many new things all the time and with each release evolve. St. Anger was very progressive FOR METALLICA. Tool i like to think is progressive, they evolve their music a lot and have grown and are very very original; I don't consider Tool 'prog'.

Anyyways i realize this type of things has probably been discussed like crazy already. I'm just brainstorming.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #108 on: December 21, 2013, 10:54:25 PM »
Yes, it's been discussed. :lol

I don't have a problem with considering "progressive" to simply be a descriptor of a genre, though I don't mind when the word is used in its traditional fashion either.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #109 on: December 22, 2013, 09:42:45 PM »
If I never had to read another discussion of "Prog vs. Progressive" on this forum, I could die happier. :mehlin

Circle of Illusion - "Jeremias - Foreshadow of Forgotten Realms"
I missed seeing this in your post the first time I skimmed the thread. :2metal: