Author Topic: A Gentleman of Dread's Top 50 DT Song List V. Kill, Live, Die  (Read 2290 times)

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
A Gentleman of Dread's Top 50 DT Song List V. Kill, Live, Die
« on: November 17, 2013, 03:43:39 AM »
Ladies and Gentleman, my name is is Gentleman.. of Dread. I am the man who has won the Pupil of the year award.. Wait, this Paul Heyman imitation doesn't work when I haven't beaten someone up. Well, hm. ANYWAY THEN. Yo. Welcome, dudes and dudettes, to my top 50 DT song list.

Let's start with 50/49/48

50. A Change Of Seasons- ACOS
Come, let us adore him, abuse and then ignore him..
"Man, a new top DT 50 song list, this guy's been on the site only for a bit, he looks fine. Let's click.. A CHANGE OF SEASONS? NUMBER 50?! SERIOUSLY?! WHERE'S MY PITCHFORK? GANG, BURN HIM!"
Calm breathes now.
Individual parts, I love this song. I love the starting notes, I love the reprise, I love the lyrics and how each individual part has it's own feel. But there's one problem I have with it, and it's a good chunk of the later part of the song, from The Darkest of Winters to the start of Crimson Sunset. Darkest of Winters feels misplaced, it doesn't fit into Carpe Diem or Another World, it feels like it should come at the end of Another World. And Another World/The Inevitable Summer just feel like they drag slightly after The Darkest of Winters. It's a shame that I've felt this way, because this was my first ever DT Song I got the chance to listen to. I suspect actually, it might only just have managed to make it onto this list because of my nostalgia for it. (51 is Prophets of War). Things I do like about this is damn it Sherinan what do you do to your keyboards??

49. Take The Time- Images and Words
Woah, hold it now, wait a minute, come on..
"Okay, this guy seemed to argue his points well, what's next.. I'M GOING TO KILL HIM."
I'm not doing well on many people's checklists, I imagine at the moment.  Nothing wrong with Take The Time. It's a good song, I have no negative points to really say about it. I love the keys, JLB's vocal performance, the bass, the guitar.. Just I never get the urge to sit down and listen to it. I can't tell you why this is though. Perhaps it's because there's no real stand out moment to it. It's just a good song from point a to point b.

48. The Looking Glass- Dream Theater
You are caught up in your gravity, Glorifying madness, Singing your own praise
JIMMIES. RUSTLING. Seriously, This is a good song, good guitar solo, good bass (Love me some bass), good drum work and good keys. If there's an issue with it I can think of, it's the lyrics are a weird kind of blend of being harsh and avoiding the real blame of the subject in hand. JLB performs this well vocally (This entire album is just pure good JLB).

AND HERE IT IS. WE'VE STARTED. Predictions? Thoughts? Angry mail?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 08:32:29 AM by GentlemanofDread »
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: A Gentleman of Dread's Top 50 DT Song List V. The Crimson Sunrise
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 03:47:58 AM »
I don't adore ACOS too.

TLG and TTT are placed quite right for me.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 03:55:28 AM »
Ah, ACOS. That was a funny day when you first heard that.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 05:21:29 AM »
I indeed started looking for my pitchfork when I saw ACOS on #50  :lol TTT at #49 is a bit too low for me as well, I love that song. But hey, this kind of stuff is always fun on top 50 lists.

The real blasphemy starts at #48 though. I don't really like TLG, so putting it above ACOS and TTT is mindblowing for me :P

Offline Viking of the Sagas

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 08:27:23 AM »
I like all picks. Keep it up!  ;)

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 09:56:01 AM »
@Evermind: Your avatar is a pic of Harry Redknapp and you agree with my ACOS? I feel like I should get a drink.

@Sketchy: HOW DID YOU KNOW?! WERE YOU STALKING ME?! Jokes on you, I know where you live because I stalked you! I mean, my introduction to music that wasn't Oasis/The Verve/Coldplay? Didn't know music could be something as long and instrumental driven.

@Ohno: Hi Kassius! I mean, Ohno. Well, TTT would be higher if I could feel the urge to sit and listen to it individually. I just let it play during whenever I listen to I&W.

@Viking: Good to hear! :D
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 10:17:38 AM »
ACOS and Take The Time are way too low, though you are setting the stage for an interesting list.  I'm following!   :tup

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 10:38:16 AM »
I disagree with all of this.

You have done well.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 10:39:35 AM »
about damn time someone actually started another of these, lol.
that being said, TTT being this low is worse than ACoS being this low, though both of them are too low :P
interested in seeing how this turns out.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2013, 10:46:30 AM »
@Evermind: Your avatar is a pic of Harry Redknapp and you agree with my ACOS? I feel like I should get a drink.

@Sketchy: HOW DID YOU KNOW?! WERE YOU STALKING ME?! Jokes on you, I know where you live because I stalked you! I mean, my introduction to music that wasn't Oasis/The Verve/Coldplay? Didn't know music could be something as long and instrumental driven.

@Ohno: Hi Kassius! I mean, Ohno. Well, TTT would be higher if I could feel the urge to sit and listen to it individually. I just let it play during whenever I listen to I&W.

@Viking: Good to hear! :D

JOKE'S ON YOU. I moved.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Onno

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2013, 11:07:44 AM »
I actually had to Google to see what/who you meant with that, Gent  :lol

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2013, 11:49:48 AM »
Following!
Disagree on the three, but this will be interasting...

TO SAY THE LEAST
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2013, 12:40:28 PM »
PITCHFORKS, GET YER PITCHFORKS HERE, THREE FOR A QUID.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2013, 08:18:22 AM »
Sketchy moved? DAMN IT. HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO GET A PITCHFORK TO DEFEND MYSELF NOW?! Good to know I'm creating that spodge of controversy with one post.
@Ohno: Can't help it. Wrestling fan. Stuck you as the cool and awesome guy. Hope you don't mind.

47. Wither- Black Clouds and Silver Linings
But I feel I'm getting nowhere, And I'll never see the end
... Well, after that last post, this isn't that controversial, is it in it's placing? But let's go onto why I like this song, which is mostly the lyrics, mostly because I relate to writer's block as a writer myself. The lyrics are fantastic in describing, at least in my opinion, the hopelessness of what writer's block can do to you. Instrumental wise, it's solid if unspectacular, although I rate the guitar solo in my top twenty solos that Dream Theater have done.

46. Vacant- Train of Thought
She's losing control, What can I do, Her vacant eyes, Black holes, Am I losing you
Beautiful. Just pure beauty in a song. I don't want to overwrite about this song because I feel I'd butcher everything I love about this song. However, short song, can't rate above the rest of the songs.

45. Illumination Theory- Dream Theater
A junkie for the high, Teachers for their students, Vengeance for a crime, Rebels for their freedom
What a good epic. It just feels like an album conclusion, the opening to it makes it feel big, the intermission part adds to what the album is- a clash of light and dark, what reasoning is. One of James LaBrie's best performances vocally, with the always sublime John Myung, as on the rest of the album, putting in a great performance. My only complaint is the easter egg. It feels like it ruins the conclusion of the song and album.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2013, 08:26:54 AM »
Great choices. Vacant is pure beauty. 

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2013, 08:31:28 AM »
Vacant <3
Others: *shrug*

Offline Onno

Re: A Gentleman of Dread's Top 50 DT Song List V. Kill, Live, Die
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2013, 11:10:34 AM »
Illumination Theory is probably the best song on DT12 and in my top 50 maybe would be placed somewhere close to where you placed it. Vacant is absolutely amazing and Wither is really great too.
And now at least I know why you intentionally spell my name wrong each time Gent  :lol

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2013, 11:14:36 AM »
<3<3<3<3 Vacant

*Posts a trident to GoD, as I've sold all the pitchforks... At least, I've sold all the ones which don't come with fire*

The other two are cool too, especially the video for Wither, totally because it has the song on it.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2013, 11:32:34 AM »
@Prog Snob: And that's just why I wasn't going to describe it. Not butchering that magic.

@Onno: I SPELT IT RIGHT THIS TIME glad to see you agree with my choices this ended up being less controversial. But then remember these are beating TTT and ACOS  :tup

@Sketchy: TRIDENT POWER? OH GOSH. Those Snow Gooses best watch out! (And you like the video because you're in it you little git.)

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2013, 11:55:07 AM »
Darn, i was going to guess your profession as a standup comedian.  Love your list and better yet, your writeups and comments.  Keep going.

I love IT, but somehow cannot get into the part before the orchestra and the longer than needed pause before the easter egg.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Onno

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2013, 01:39:54 PM »
Yes, they are above TTT and ACOS in your list but I'd rather compare them with their placing in my list :P

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2013, 01:48:13 PM »
@Prog Snob: And that's just why I wasn't going to describe it. Not butchering that magic.

@Onno: I SPELT IT RIGHT THIS TIME glad to see you agree with my choices this ended up being less controversial. But then remember these are beating TTT and ACOS  :tup

@Sketchy: TRIDENT POWER? OH GOSH. Those Snow Gooses best watch out! (And you like the video because you're in it you little git.)

lol, don't go nuclear over it.

but yeah, a bit... he says to the person who pointed out I was in it.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2013, 01:49:44 PM »
@Mike: I'd rather not have the easter egg at all. If it's going to be in the sound, it can be the lead out from the orchestral section.  Also, I don't think I have the timing for comedy.

@Onno: I'm sure next update will anger something.

@Sketchy: You're the one hidden away! yes i did do that

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2013, 01:51:50 PM »
Well, there is always February.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2013, 03:01:40 PM »
I have TTT and ACOS much much higher. I cannot believe that Vacant beat them both. It obviously strikes a chord with you, so that's cool. But...
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2013, 01:46:00 PM »
Disagree on the three, but I like the love for Wither there

Withere  :justjen
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2013, 12:18:23 PM »
Wonder where this guy went .-.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2013, 12:46:57 PM »
Agree with the first three in the list.  :tup

I would rate Vacant much higher and Illumination Theory just isn't an epic in my eyes. If there wasn't the middle WTF ambient/orchestral part it would definitely be a top 20 song, but as it is I think the ranking is pretty fair.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2013, 09:26:00 AM »
Is this still happening?