Author Topic: Faith in humanity .... restored  (Read 20638 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Faith in humanity .... restored
« Reply #140 on: July 11, 2021, 04:24:04 PM »
That’s amazing. On your part too, Gary. Most mere mortals just fire up a gofundme page. Good on you for doing something where everyone gets a little something.

yeah, we thought about a Go Fund Me but we ended up having a friend set them up with a new bank account and then obtained and registered it under their own EIN Charity Number where the new account is a charity.

Then had online donations through Venmo straight to the account and they’re depositing the cash into it. I don’t know the in’s and out’s of it…..the lady we know and had do all of this said it’s the best way to go as to not face the money collected being heavily taxed.

Like I said……this guy is one of the good guys and he and his family deserved to catch a break and have something like this done for them. I’ve been stressed to the max the past two months planning and organizing this but there were a TON of people who made this happen. I just happened to be the one who spearheaded it and was keeping the wheels moving. 

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #141 on: July 14, 2021, 10:57:39 AM »
That’s amazing. On your part too, Gary. Most mere mortals just fire up a gofundme page. Good on you for doing something where everyone gets a little something.

yeah, we thought about a Go Fund Me but we ended up having a friend set them up with a new bank account and then obtained and registered it under their own EIN Charity Number where the new account is a charity.

Then had online donations through Venmo straight to the account and they’re depositing the cash into it. I don’t know the in’s and out’s of it…..the lady we know and had do all of this said it’s the best way to go as to not face the money collected being heavily taxed.

Like I said……this guy is one of the good guys and he and his family deserved to catch a break and have something like this done for them. I’ve been stressed to the max the past two months planning and organizing this but there were a TON of people who made this happen. I just happened to be the one who spearheaded it and was keeping the wheels moving.

Received some great news today.....my buddy went back in for his first Scan and blood work since his surgery three months ago and everything came back clean! No new growths or anything like that so everyone is thrilled!!!!

The bummer part for him is that this cancer is so rare and aggressive that for the rest of his life, every three months, he has to do the Scans and bloodwork....but, for now.....he's got a clean bill of health!
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #142 on: July 15, 2021, 05:33:12 AM »
That's awesome news.   With the periodic checks, he's probably going to end up healthier than all of us!   :)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #143 on: July 15, 2021, 06:45:02 AM »
Yeah, GREAT news!!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: September 03, 2021, 06:08:12 AM »
Awesome!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #146 on: September 03, 2021, 07:56:30 AM »
Wow, that's pretty cool.  A lot of money.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: December 22, 2021, 12:17:59 PM »

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #148 on: December 22, 2021, 02:57:14 PM »
I saw the video of The Rock, very nice of him.

Not sure if this qualifies, but the college I got my BA from has been on the news the last few days. Last year during the Pademic, the Physics department received a package, but because everyone was remote, the package sat there for months.

When the chair of the physics department when back to his office, he opened the box to find $180,000 cash donation from an anonymous donor.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/21/us/ccny-cash-gift-mystery-trnd/index.html
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: January 05, 2022, 05:36:02 AM »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: January 05, 2022, 06:00:09 AM »
Speaking of "humanity", wasn't that a Habitat For Humanity house?  I didn't click on your link, but the article I saw said it was.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: January 05, 2022, 09:59:24 AM »
Speaking of "humanity", wasn't that a Habitat For Humanity house?  I didn't click on your link, but the article I saw said it was.

Yes, it was.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #152 on: January 05, 2022, 10:21:11 AM »
Pretty cool.

I still struggle a bit with the term "printer" applied to a machine that can shit out essentially pre-formed concrete, but obviously the term is here to stay.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: April 09, 2022, 05:23:15 AM »
https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/fortnite-raised-144m-for-ukraine-relief/

Game developers are raising money for Ukrainians both inside and outside of the besieged company, with donations rivaling the grants from the U.S. government.

Ahead of the release of their new gaming season, Fortnite developers Epic Games announced that all the proceeds would go to a variety of organizations providing aid and relief to Ukraine—and in the first day they raised $36 million, growing to $144 million in two weeks.

Epic has said that the money will go to Direct Relief, the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, the United Nations Children’s Fund, and the World Food Program.

Gamers and the video game industry are renowned for being extraordinarily generous, and other game companies are also pitching in millions.

Microsoft (the creators of the Xbox); League of Legends developer Riot Games; and the Humble Bundle, a company that organizes themed collections of various games at a discount price to help charities, have all announced donations. Net proceeds of those recent sales—totaling more than $26 million—will also go toward Ukrainian relief.

Game developers are raising money for Ukrainians both inside and outside of the besieged company, with donations rivaling the grants from the U.S. government.

Ahead of the release of their new gaming season, Fortnite developers Epic Games announced that all the proceeds would go to a variety of organizations providing aid and relief to Ukraine—and in the first day they raised $36 million, growing to $144 million in two weeks.

Epic has said that the money will go to Direct Relief, the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, the United Nations Children’s Fund, and the World Food Program.

Gamers and the video game industry are renowned for being extraordinarily generous, and other game companies are also pitching in millions.

Microsoft (the creators of the Xbox); League of Legends developer Riot Games; and the Humble Bundle, a company that organizes themed collections of various games at a discount price to help charities, have all announced donations. Net proceeds of those recent sales—totaling more than $26 million—will also go toward Ukrainian relief.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: April 11, 2022, 06:02:59 AM »
Maybe not the exact right thread, I don't usually do "charity singles", and I'm not really on board with most of the hyperbole around the whole Ukraine situation (I just don't believe it's as black and white as CNN says), but the video of Julian Lennon - of whom I'm a fan - singing his father's most famous song was something to behold.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: July 19, 2023, 12:59:44 PM »

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #157 on: July 19, 2023, 01:49:10 PM »
Dear lord … 15 months since this thread has been used !?!?!?

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/70-million-people-cheer-on-young-texan-boy-who-rang-a-doorbell-asking-for-help-finding-friends/
That's a sweet story. I feel bad for kids around that age that don't have others to interact with. Hope there are some local people he can become friends with.

I posted something on the "What Made you Happy" thread a few days ago that was more fitting for this thread I guess.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/jul/07/ya-author-shoots-to-no-1-on-amazon-bestseller-list-after-viral-tiktok-video#:~:text=Former%20social%20worker%20and%20YA,New%20York%20Times%20bestseller%20list
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: August 03, 2023, 07:21:40 AM »
Faith in humanity destroyed, and then restored in one article.  https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/gamer-cop-turns-complaint-call-against-young-man-into-opportunity-to-playtogether-online-watch/

It’s not every day one reads that a young black man’s day was made after the cops were called on him.

The scene was set for the boy’s day to be succinctly ruined: in the Georgian town of Hapeville, an unnamed fellow was going door to door asking if there were any yardwork that needed doing.  His hope was to save up money mowing lawns and trimming hedges to be able to afford a PlayStation 5.  One of the neighbors had other ideas, specifically, picking up the phone and calling the police, and asking for him to be removed from the area.

Officer Colleran of the City of Hapeville Police Department was dispatched to the area where he quickly made contact with the boy.

“The young man was polite, respectful, and truthful,” wrote the department on Facebook. “He was in the area because he wanted to do yard work: pulling weeds, cutting grass, and trimming hedges to save up for a PlayStation. Officer Colleran, a gamer himself, was impressed with the young man and thought he would help him reach his goal.”

Driving back to the neighborhood and meeting up with the boy, he surprised him with a PS5 right in the back of his squad car, one that he bought after getting his fellow officers all to pitch in around $400-$500.  “Officer Colleran and some of his friends were able to not only get this young man the video game system but a gift card to pay for the membership so he could play immediately.” 

Before leaving the man to enjoy his console, Colleran ensured he knew how to contact him over the PS5 network so they could play together.

To the bolded point ... what the fuck is wrong with people??