Author Topic: DTF Cookbook v. Show Me Whatcha Cookin'  (Read 13464 times)

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
DTF Cookbook v. Show Me Whatcha Cookin'
« on: November 16, 2013, 05:28:12 AM »
READ ME BEFORE POSTING RECIPES

Hey there, friend! Welcome to the DTF Cookbook Thread! By popular demand in the cooking thread, we have come up with the idea to start a thread for all of our recipes. So, before I get carried away in the "rules" of this thread, I'd like to remind everyone to take their non-recipe related posts to this thread. That will just make life easier for this thread, and hopefully cut down on clutter posts. I will update this daily if there are new recipes posted.

Here are the guidelines for how recipes ought to be posted. This is just to make life easier for those of us looking up your recipe for us to make!

1.) You state what kind of dish the recipe is. Example:

Duck Ragu (Entree).

This is so I can easily ctrl+f recipes, and you will be able to, as well! You do not need to bold the parenthesis.

2.) Try to keep to 1-2 recipes a post. I mean, if you have to do more for one meal, I understand. But this is so we can better sort EVERYTHING that gets posted in here. Example: Snapple's Kale Caesar Salad (Salad) and Classic Caesar Dressing(Dressing/Sauce).

3.) If you try a recipe, or if one looks downright delicious, feel free to comment in this thread. Remember to keep all non-recipe food talk out of this thread! Also, feel free to ask for a recipe based on what you have available, or something you wanna try!

Have fun, and show me whatchu cookin'!

Beverages:
Apple Herbal Tea - DebraKadabra

Breakfast:
Cake Batter French Toast - snapple

Sauces:
Cozmo's Hot Sauce - Sir GuitarCozmo
Julie's Bufflo Sauce (also used in Julie's Wings) - millahh

Soups:
Butternut Squash Soup - lonestar
Simply Broccoli - snapple
Mulligatawny - Sir GuitarCozmo
Hungarian Mushroom Soup - ElBarto
Potato Soup with Rosemary - snapple
Dr. DTVT's Ultimate Cream of Crab Soup - Dr. DTVT
Dr. DTVT's Gumbo - Dr. DTVT
Smoked Beer Cheese Soup - lonestar

Sides:
World's Greatest Broccoli - Lucien
Potato Leek Gratin - CharlieDominietzsche
Julie's Hot Wings - millahh

Sandwiches:
The Cardiovascular Manslaugher -Chino

Entrees:
Angel Hair with Blackened Chicken Pomodoro - lonestar
Chicken Paprika (Chicken and Dumplings) - Tick
K.I.S.S. Pasta and Meat Sauce - lonestar
World's Easiest Pasta - tapsmilled

Desserts:
Clafoutis - Lucien
Banana Ice Cream - CharlieDominietzsche
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 06:48:48 AM by snapple »

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: DTF Cookbook v. Show Me Whatcha Cookin'
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 10:28:09 AM »
Thought I could make this second post a glossary of culinary terminology. I will add to it as the cookbook progresses. :RJ:
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 02:56:15 PM by lonestar »

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 08:40:23 AM »
I am making my grandmothers classic, Chicken Paprika today. Chicken with homemade dumplings is a pot of sauce filled with chicken stock, onions, garlic, paprika, salt and pepper. Its a marvelous comfort food my family loves.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 12:29:37 PM »
Uhhh I will be cooking chicken breasts (plain) veggies and potatoes for the next week!

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 01:13:17 PM »
Eh snapple, you may wanna explain in the OP that this thread is specifically for recipes and that the regular food thread is for casual food talk.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 01:18:45 PM »
Been cooking my ass off of late. Doing pretty well with it, as well. Went through a soul food phase with a crockpot full of red beans/andouille, and at various times went with collard greens (parboiled then lightly sauteed with bacon, onions and jalapenos), and fried cabbage (much like the collards). Then turned Irish with bacon and cabbage with potatoes, and some very nice sausages (Whole Foods has been putting a rotating variety of sausages on sale). Best thing I did was some damn tasty fajitas* and a crockpot full of barracho beans. A little pricier than I'd normally do, but good for 3 meals, far better than what most of the restaurants will serve up.

*Anybody who still thinks you have to use skirt steak for fajitas is a fool or just plain hates their teeth. Bottom sirloin costs the same as skirt steak and is far superior in every conceivable way.

edit: Since Herr Schwarzfloyd is preparing his imminent invasion of Poland, I'll be happy to offer up the barracho beans recipe should anybody be interested. Although now that I think about it, I've already included some component recipe information.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 01:20:49 PM »
El Barto, we've been trying to cook larger meals to last a few days so we are not cooking all the time.  I like that better for my busy work life.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 01:29:48 PM »
El Barto, we've been trying to cook larger meals to last a few days so we are not cooking all the time.  I like that better for my busy work life.
Yeah, nice thing about the bachelor life is that I can spend $8 cooking something seriously tasty that'll feed me for days. The fajita/barracho feast probably cost $16 total, but fed me damn well for 3 days. Even if there's something that I can't cook a day or two in advance, I can do most of the prep work all at once so the second day is a piece of cake.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 01:34:55 PM »
Following...   :tup
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2013, 01:58:18 PM »
Clafoutis (Dessert)

2 cups fresh berries (any, really. Cherries are what Clafoutis are traditionally made with, but you can use raspberries, strawberries, etc. You also don't have to use exactly 2 cups because they just fill the pan. Beware, the water in strawberries tends to soften the pie/make you think it isn't cooked all the way through)
-3 eggs
-1 cup milk
-1/2 cup flour
-1/2 cup sugar
-1 teaspoon vanilla
-1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
-1/8 teaspoon salt
-Powdered sugar (optional)

Directions:
-Preheat oven to 350 F. Oil or butter pie dish. Scatter raspberries in pie dish, reserving a few for garnish.
-Beat eggs until foamy. Add remaining ingredients (doing it in the order presented seems to give me the best results) and mix until smooth. Pour this mixture over raspberries and bake 20-25 minutes (I do it at 30), or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
-Top with reserved raspberries and powdered sugar. Serve warm or cold.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 02:06:19 PM by Lucien »
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2013, 02:04:52 PM »
I'll be looking for on-sale berries when I hit Whole Food later on.
E.F. Benson

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2013, 03:04:34 PM »
Butternut Squash Soup

1 yellow onion- diced
2 tbsp crushed garlic
2 butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and diced (should be about 1 gallon volume wise)
1/2 cup Jack Daniels
1 sprig each rosemary and thyme
3/4 gallon chicken stock, unsalted
1/4 gallon half and half
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 cinnamon stick
1 tsp crushed red pepper
s&p to taste

Saute the onion in a bit of oil over medium heat until translucent. Add garlic and heat until aromatic. Add the Jack and ignite(careful boys and girls) and burn off the alcohol and reduce till almost gone. Add the butternut squash, herbs, chicken stock, half and half, cinnamon stick, and red pepper. Simmer until the squash is tender. Remove from heat, take out cinnamon stick and puree in a blender in batches and recombine in sauce pan. Season with salt and pepper and maple syrup.

Suggested garnish- mix some unsweetened whip cream with a bit of amaretto and dollop on top of bowl of soup.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 06:46:44 AM »
@lonestar

I think we do the same exact fucking thing at our restaurant for Butternut Squash Soup, minus the Jack. It's sooo tasty.

@everyone

I updated the OP. Thanks for Lucien and lonestar being so quick to post some recipes. I'm excited to try them both!

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2013, 06:54:22 AM »
Simply Broccoli (Soup)

Broccoli 2-3 heads
Water (4 cups should be good. I'll be honest, I really wing it. It should be enough water to cover the broccoli)
Salt to taste
Walnuts
Chevre

1.) Boil water in a saucepan. When it comes to a boil, add a pinch or two of salt.
2.) Separate broccoli from stem. Add broccoli to the boiling water. Boil for 3-4 minutes or until broccoli is cooked. Salt if needed.
3.) Strain broccoli, SAVE THE WATER..
4.) Add broccoli to blender. Add water until about half of the broccoli in the blender is in water.
5.) Give the blender a couple of quick pulses so it doesn't get hung up on the broccoli. Make sure to cover with a towel.
6.) Blend until you get a nice creamy texture. Add salt to taste.
7.) In bottom of soup bowl, add a nice slice of chevre and some walnuts.
8.) Pour broccoli soup in bowl.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2013, 07:14:20 AM »
OK, guess I'll post my special I'll be making today....

Angel Hair with Blackened Chicken Pomodoro (entree)

One Pound Angel Hair pasta, dry or fresh
two chicken breast, boneless and skinless
blackening spice (Emiril makes a decent pre-packaged one)
4 roma tomatoes
6 cloves garlic
1 bunch basil
1/2 cup EVOO (extra virgin olive oil), the greener and stinkier, the better!!!
1 pat butter
s&p to taste

Coat the chicken breast in the spice, and grill till fully cooked, or sear in a hot saute pan with a touch of oil and finish in the oven, set aside for now.. Put hot, salted water on to boil for the pasta. There is no need to add oil to the water, that's a myth and has no effect on the cooking. The salt however is crucial. I repeat, so don't forget to salt the fucking water!!! Dice the tomatoes, and thinly slice the garlic, the thinner the better. Julienne the basil(take the leaves, stack on top of each other, and cut into thin strips). Cut the chicken into strips, and cook off the pasta. Now, prep is done....

In a saute pan, add the olive oil and turn to medium-high heat. When hot, add the sliced garlic and cook until it starts to brown, this will bring out the nutty, roasted flavor. Then add the tomatoes. If you are on a gas stove, this will probably flame up, so be cautious. When the tomatoes start to break down(about a minute of simmering) add the sliced chicken and the basil. Let them heat and then season with salt and pepper. Then add the pasta, toss and serve. Garnish with parmesean cheese. If you're looking to get laid with this dish, save one of the basil tops and garnish with that as well.

You can also substitue any blackened fish, prawns, or go vegetarian as well(just add some chili flakes to provide the heat)

Offline sueño

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2013, 08:20:54 AM »
That sounds fantastic!  There's no hope of getting laid in my future but this meal sounds like the next best thing.   Will make this weekend.

Thanks, chef!
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2013, 08:24:28 AM »
don't forget to salt the fucking water!!!

Every cooking show I've ever seen address the cooking of pasta stressed this point.  I have heard Michael Symon and Alton Brown make mention of ocean water when trying to convey how much salt to add.  :lol

Offline sueño

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2013, 08:28:08 AM »
Why is salting important?  Having grown up with parents with hypertension, I rarely added salt to anything and never to water.  My blood pressure is naturally low so...tell what's great about ocean water?

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2013, 08:53:39 AM »
Why is salting important?  Having grown up with parents with hypertension, I rarely added salt to anything and never to water.  My blood pressure is naturally low so...tell what's great about ocean water?

Salt makes all the difference in the pasta's flavor!

I also like to put some butter in the water too. It helps to prevent the pasta from sticking together.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2013, 08:58:50 AM »

*snip*

I also like to put some butter in the water too. It helps to prevent the pasta from sticking together.

I just threw up a little bit in my mouth.   :lol

I have this OCD thing with butter.  It doesn't go near my food. It doesn't go near my place at the dinner table. If someone asks me to pass them the butter tray, I pretend not to hear it because I won't even touch the tray in which it sits. 
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 09:05:05 AM by Prog Snob »

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2013, 08:59:35 AM »

Recipe.

Items you'll need:
- 1 pound of bacon
- 12 sausage patties
- 12 eggs
- 1/8 pound american cheese
- 1/8 pound cheddar cheese
- 1/2 fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1 15" olive oil ciabatta loaf

Step 1:
Cook everything to your liking

Step 2:
Put everything on sandwich
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 09:38:18 AM by Chino »

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2013, 09:12:25 AM »
Chino, give it a name and what course it is. Example:

What the fuck sammich (Sandwich)

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2013, 09:16:36 AM »
The Cardiovascular Manslaughter (Sandwich)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2013, 09:24:39 AM »
Christ, how many people is that thing supposed to feed?
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2013, 09:37:37 AM »

I made it for everyone in my department one morning. Four or five people were able to polish it off.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2013, 09:39:30 AM »

I made it for everyone in my department one morning. Four or five people were able to polish it off.
Cool. I was afraid you were going to say "uh, me?"
E.F. Benson

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2013, 09:41:42 AM »

Cool. I was afraid you were going to say "uh, me?"

get rid of the egg and I could polish that off. 

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2013, 12:20:00 PM »
Main Course
My grandmother’s authentic Hungarian recipe for "chicken paprika" a.k.a  chicken and dumplings
What you will need…
6 to 8 chicken thighs
3 medium onions
3 teaspoons crushed garlic
Paprika
Salt
Pepper
5 eggs
4 cups flour
Chicken broth 8 to 10 cups
1 small container sour cream

Chicken portion…

In skillet salt and pepper chicken thighs and brown them well is olive oil or vegetable oil
Add chicken to stock pot and continue to cook. Peel onions, cut in half and slice. Add onions and garlic to pot. Cook over medium high for about 10 minutes.
Add 8 cups of chicken broth and 2 heaping tablespoons paprika to pot. Bring to boil then simmer on low for an hour and a half.
After its finished cooking add the sour cream and stir well. Simmer until adding the dumplings then shut off and let sit for a half hour.

Dumplings…

Put 4 cups flour in large mixing bowl.
Add 5 eggs into flour
Slowly add chicken broth till pancake batter consistently
Mix till smooth.

With a medium size spoon, start dropping dumplings into a pot of boiling water. Push off spoon with another spoon or your finger. When they float to top use slotted spoon to transfer to the chicken paprika and let them absorb the flavor for about a half an hour before serving.

Serve it up.  Sprinkle salt and pepper before eating to bring the flavor of the dumplings to life.
Enjoy!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 03:04:32 PM by Tick »

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2013, 03:14:51 PM »

How many of the five are currently in the emergency room?

(just kidding)

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2013, 07:45:01 PM »
I kind of swiped this from Ina Garten, but it's really easy and really good.  It's festive enough for the holidays, but refreshing enough for a hot summer day.

Apple Herbal Tea (BEVERAGE)

Celestial Seasons Red Zinger tea, 4 bags
Celestial Seasons Lemon Zinger tea, 4 bags
4 cups apple juice (I HIGHLY recommend not from concentrate and organic, if at all possible)
Sugar (optional)

Steep the tea bags for 10 minutes in 4 cups of boiling water.  Discard the tea bags once steeped and mix the brewed tea and apple juice in a large pitcher.  Refrigerate and serve over ice.

Note about the sugar:  because of the sweetness of the apple juice, you may not need to add much sugar if you so choose.  Definitely add it to taste, though, if you want it a little sweeter.

ALSO - if you don't have Red Zinger, Raspberry or Wild Berry Zinger would work.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2013, 08:46:57 PM »
OK, gonna post one for all the masses, even the most incompetent college kid can do this one....

lonestar's K.I.S.S Pasta with Meat Sauce

1       onion, diced
4       cloves garlic or 2 tbsp minced garlic
1       12 oz can tomato sauce, Hunts is fine
1       12 oz can crushed tomatoes, if they have the ones seasoned with oregano and basil, even better
1 lb   ground beef
1 lb   italian sausage (spicy or mild pending on your preference)
2 tbsp dried italian seasoning
1 lb   dried pasta, penne or rotini is ideal

In a large sauce pan, turn to medium heat and put in ground beef and italian sausage, and about a tbsp of salt and a tsp of pepper. With a wooden spoon, break up the meat into small pieces and let brown. When the meat is fully cooked, add the onions and garlic and continue until the onions are clear. At this point, there will be some liquid in the pan, the grease and juices from the meat. Carefully strain some off, not all, but a good deal. Add the canned stuff and the italian seasoning and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and cover, let simmer for at least an hour, stirring ocassionally. Put on a large pot of salted water, when it comes to a rolling boil, add the pasta and stir often till cooked. Best way to check if it's cooked? Taste it. Strain pasta, then combine with the meat sauce and serve dusted with parmesean.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2013, 08:57:54 PM »
Dear lord I'll have to try that sometime :drool:

I'm so glad DTF has a chef
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2013, 10:04:42 PM »
OK, gonna post one for all the masses, even the most incompetent college kid can do this one....

lonestar's K.I.S.S Pasta with Meat Sauce

1       onion, diced
4       cloves garlic or 2 tbsp minced garlic
1       12 oz can tomato sauce, Hunts is fine
1       12 oz can crushed tomatoes, if they have the ones seasoned with oregano and basil, even better
1 lb   ground beef
1 lb   italian sausage (spicy or mild pending on your preference)
2 tbsp dried italian seasoning
1 lb   dried pasta, penne or rotini is ideal

In a large sauce pan, turn to medium heat and put in ground beef and italian sausage, and about a tbsp of salt and a tsp of pepper. With a wooden spoon, break up the meat into small pieces and let brown. When the meat is fully cooked, add the onions and garlic and continue until the onions are clear. At this point, there will be some liquid in the pan, the grease and juices from the meat. Carefully strain some off, not all, but a good deal. Add the canned stuff and the italian seasoning and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and cover, let simmer for at least an hour, stirring ocassionally. Put on a large pot of salted water, when it comes to a rolling boil, add the pasta and stir often till cooked. Best way to check if it's cooked? Taste it. Strain pasta, then combine with the meat sauce and serve dusted with parmesean.
Without mushrooms it's nothing.  :lol

Very similar to my sauce. I eventually dumped the ground beef and went entirely with the hot Italian sausage; no point in fucking around. The big difference is that I throw it in a crock pot and let it cook the better part of the day. Makes for a great smelling football Sunday, and I'm a firm believer that the longer a meat sauce simmers the better it tastes.

Again with the benefits of bachelordom, a crock pot full of good sauce will provide me all kinds of options for many days. Last day it usually winds up as the base for a pizza. 
E.F. Benson

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2013, 10:25:40 PM »
I totally agree with the shrooms, and though I like hot, my heartburn doesn't. Yeah, this is a great bachelor dish though, made a batch tonight, should get a few good meals out of it. Again, I was keeping this one simple, if I did a full out sauce, I wouldn't have canned anything or dried anything, and it would stew all fucking day.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2013, 10:27:21 PM »
At first I was thinking "Tomato sauce? What the hell?", and then I remembered that what I call tomato sauce is what you would call ketchup. :lol