News:

BREAKING NEWS:  Dream Theater reunites with drummer Mike Portnoy (10/25/23)

Main Menu

Your Favorite Back-To-Back DT Studio Albums

Started by The Letter M, November 14, 2013, 04:11:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pick TWO OPTIONS of 2 Consecutive Albums

When Dream And Day Unite + Images And Words
Images And Words + Awake
Awake + Falling Into Infinity
Falling Into Infinity + Scenes From A Memory
Scenes From A Memory + Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence
Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence + Train Of Thought
Train Of Thought + Octavarium
Octavarium + Systematic Chaos
Systematic Chaos + Black Clouds & Silver Linings
Black Clouds & Silver Linings + A Dramatic Turn Of Events
A Dramatic Turn Of Events + Dream Theater

The Letter M

It's been over 3 years since I started THIS thread and since then, two more DT albums have come out, so I wanted to revamp this poll and tweak it a bit.

This time, you can pick TWO pairs of albums, and it doesn't even matter if both choices share an album. You could pick IAW/Awake and Awake/FII, or go for what might be the more popular options, IAW/Awake and SFAM/SDOIT.

You can pick any TWO pairs, but that's it. Choose wisely.

-Marc.

SeRoX

bosk1

2 pairs?  Sweet!

First choice is SFAM->6.  My very close second is ADTOE->DT12.

Jaffa

Well, Images and Words is my favorite DT album, but my next three favorite DT albums are TOT, SFAM, and SDOIT.  Since those three are right in a row, I went with those two options.

I hate to be that guy, but Images and Words/Awake by far, followed by A Dramatic Turn of Events/Dream Theater.

Tom Bombadil

Bolsters

My choices are the rather predictable I&W>Awake and SFAM>SDOIT.
Bolsters™

ronnibran

Went with ADTOE and DT12.  Kind of a hard choice.  6DOIT, Awake, and 8VM are my favorite albums other than DT12, but ADTOE is better than the albums surrounding my other favorites.  My second choice would have probably been Awake and FII.

bosk1

Quote from: 425 on November 14, 2013, 04:34:12 PM
I hate to be that guy, but Images and Words/Awake by far, followed by A Dramatic Turn of Events/Dream Theater.

Eh, don't worry about being "that guy."  It's still Dream Theater.  You pretty much can't lose with any of those options.

dparrott

Interesting.  I would say none of those.  My true favorites are all several years apart. 

Lucien

Quote from: bosk1 on November 14, 2013, 04:21:28 PM
2 pairs?  Sweet!

theseoafs

Quote from: bosk1 on November 14, 2013, 04:21:28 PM
2 pairs?  Sweet!

Yep, same here.

TheGreatPretender

My first choice is 8VM > SC, both are just incredibly consistent albums and a joy to listen to all the way through.

ADTOE > DT are also quite consistnet, but I love SFAM too much, so my next choice is SFAM > SDOIT, even though 6 Degrees has a few stumbles throughout.

senecadawg2

Easy choice for me.

I&W, Awake and SFAM, SDOIT

krands85

I&W and Awake
Train of Thought and Octavarium

4 of my top 6 DT albums. The other 2 (Scenes and ADTOE) are surrounded by albums that I'm not so keen on, so this was an easy choice for me. 
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Tis BOOLsheet

Voted ADToE and DT because there was no other realistic option.

Outcrier

1. Scenes - 6DOIT (My vote)
2. Images - Awake
3. 6DOIT - ToT (EDIT)
4. ToT - 8varium

BlobVanDam

I didn't read the post, so I only voted once.

I voted for SFAM > SDOIT. Their two best albums back to back. Nothing else comes close to that. My second vote would have gone to FII > SFAM.

?

Kotowboy

I went TOT - 8VM simply because TOT got me into the band and 8VM sealed the deal so those two albums are important to me.

I realise that SFAM - 6DOIT is the logical choice but I got those two albums really late.

( I didn't even get 6DOIT until 2009 )

Crow

I didn't see it was two options until it was too late.
That being said the two most popular options would've been my vote, though I immediately picked the first of those two upon entering the thread.

wolven74

Polarbear

Quote from: Bolsters on November 14, 2013, 04:37:09 PM
My choices are the rather predictable I&W>Awake and SFAM>SDOIT.

This!

However i was close to selecting 8VM and SC. 8VM introduced me to DT, and SC made me a fan in 2007.

The Letter M

:lol I guess I could've made the thread title a bit more clear, but this shows just how many people here DON"T read the OP before voting. Good thing we aren't voting for politicians here... :rollin

-Marc.

wasteland

Bolsters

Quote from: The Letter M on November 15, 2013, 12:45:50 AM
:lol I guess I could've made the thread title a bit more clear, but this shows just how many people here DON"T read the OP before voting. Good thing we aren't voting for politicians here... :rollin
Yeah no kidding. 59 voters as of this moment but only 81 actual votes cast, when it should be twice the number of voters (118). :facepalm: So that's 37 people who only voted once, out of 59. :rollin
Bolsters™

The Stray Seed

Prog Snob

Wow, someone actually picked SC and BC&SL.  Eh, to each his own. 

mikeyd23

kirksnosehair

Kotowboy

1. Train Of Thought > Octavarium - for reasons specified.

2. Scenes From A Memory > Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence - because they are the two best albums back to back.

I like Images and Words but I just can't get into Awake at all bar a few songs.

My #3 choice would be A Dramatic Turn Of Events > DT12 because it's two back on form albums after a couple of DT -by-numbers albums

(IMO)

BlobVanDam

Quote from: Kotowboy on November 15, 2013, 06:55:46 AM
My #3 choice would be A Dramatic Turn Of Events > DT12 because it's two back on form albums after a couple of DT -by-numbers albums

ADTOE is a ton more "DT by numbers" than SC, and probably BCASL too. I think ADTOE is actually their safest album yet. I'm glad DT12 got a little bit more adventurous again.