Author Topic: 2014 Setlist Predictions Thread  (Read 66121 times)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Re: 2014 Setlist Predictions Thread
« Reply #140 on: June 27, 2013, 08:45:14 AM »
I hope they'll play ACOS instead of wasting their time with Octavarium, but it's true that 8V is easier for James than LTL.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #141 on: June 27, 2013, 09:06:35 AM »
Meh, ACOS.  :mehlin

That song still hasn't grown on me. I've listened to it like 3 times, but it always feels like a chore to sit through.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #142 on: June 27, 2013, 09:15:46 AM »
Well, I just hope they won't play ITPOE from start to finish :D
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline mallorier

• Blissciple
« Reply #143 on: June 27, 2013, 09:29:25 AM »
Speculation is almost always fun! The only it wouldn't be fun is if you wanted them to play Learning to Live for example and instead they played You Not Me. XD

Hahaha! Yeah...I probably would be a little burnt in that situation. However...it would be nice in one regard: It seems that there is at least a very small number of fans for every DT song out there, even the more generally unpopular ones. So if You Not Me came on, I would personally be like "Ehhhh...", but I would also smile a little on the inside knowing that somewhere in the theater, there is at least one super stoked You Not Me fan who just had their dreams come true :lol

Also. Space-Dye Vest. I'm calling it.

You know, when I was first getting into Awake, I heard SDV and was all "What the crap is this?" and just couldn't appreciate. But then about nine months ago I gave it another chance...I'm not sure what changed on my end, but I must admit: I have totally changed sides. It's not your typical DT song, but that just kind of adds to it specialness for me. I hope you are right, MoraWintersoul...SDV would be a very welcome surprise on the next tour!

I hope they'll play ACOS Octavarium instead of wasting their time with Octavaium ACOS, but it's true that 8V is easier for James than LTL.
FTFM :lol Jk, I wouldn't consider either of those songs a "waste of time", but if only one were to make an appearance I would have to root for Octavarium. I :heart that song like crazy!

Imagine having even half of them in a single show! Well worth an ACOS!

Hmm...worth an ACOS, yes, but for me personally I'd still root for 8vm :biggrin:. But oh man...Blind Faith and Stream of Consciousness would be soooo sick :metal

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #144 on: June 27, 2013, 09:41:44 AM »

You know, when I was first getting into Awake, I heard SDV and was all "What the crap is this?" and just couldn't appreciate. But then about nine months ago I gave it another chance...I'm not sure what changed on my end, but I must admit: I have totally changed sides. It's not your typical DT song, but that just kind of adds to it specialness for me. I hope you are right, MoraWintersoul...SDV would be a very welcome surprise on the next tour!
Glad to hear another person likes the song, since it's basically my fave song of all time: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=35969.msg1533419#msg1533419
 :biggrin:

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline mallorier

• Blissciple
« Reply #145 on: June 27, 2013, 09:53:00 AM »
Aaaaah! Yes! I remember that top 50 (longtime lurker, just started actually posting pretty recently lol)! I especially like this little sentiment at the end of your SDV write up:

The MAIN reason, however, that SDV is my favorite song, is (I'll put it quite vaguely because it's not something that is really clear to me most of the time, and when it becomes clear, I feel inept to find the right words to share it with everyone) that the song pretty much sounds like it's the end of the world. But we know it wasn't, that there is no one in the world who was forever closed after declaring they'd never be open again, that life goes on and so do the people in it. I find that thought quite comforting.

True dat, lady...very comforting indeed! Well you've got another supporter here :biggrin:! SDV 2014 here we come :metal

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #146 on: June 27, 2013, 09:55:44 AM »

You would post this. :biggrin:

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #147 on: June 27, 2013, 10:33:27 AM »
Aaaaah! Yes! I remember that top 50 (longtime lurker, just started actually posting pretty recently lol)! I especially like this little sentiment at the end of your SDV write up:

The MAIN reason, however, that SDV is my favorite song, is (I'll put it quite vaguely because it's not something that is really clear to me most of the time, and when it becomes clear, I feel inept to find the right words to share it with everyone) that the song pretty much sounds like it's the end of the world. But we know it wasn't, that there is no one in the world who was forever closed after declaring they'd never be open again, that life goes on and so do the people in it. I find that thought quite comforting.

True dat, lady...very comforting indeed! Well you've got another supporter here :biggrin:! SDV 2014 here we come :metal
You read my top 50 while you were lurking? :eek :'( :heart

You would post this. :biggrin:
No, I DID post this :P

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline GasparXR

« Reply #148 on: June 27, 2013, 10:34:55 AM »
No, I DID post this :P

Semantics, young lady. :hat

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #149 on: June 27, 2013, 10:43:59 PM »

:caffeine:

That would be absolutely perfect, but honestly, I doubt they will ever play SDV.

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
« Reply #150 on: June 28, 2013, 10:38:37 AM »
Well, I just hope they won't play ITPOE from start to finish :D

I'd rather hear ITPOE over 8VM ANYDAY

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: June 28, 2013, 11:12:21 AM »
I'd rather not hear either, but if I have to choose, 8V any day of the week :D
- Marco

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #152 on: June 28, 2013, 11:17:15 AM »
I'm not sure which one I'd like more... ITPOE Part 1 beats any part of Octavarium, but Octavarium might be the better live song overall - I might even start to like it more, although I kind of doubt it.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #153 on: June 28, 2013, 12:42:51 PM »
Octavarium beats pretty much every other song they have done. Maybe Metropolis is on par, but other than that I WOULD PAY 40€ ONLY TO SEE OCTAVARIUM PLAYED LIVE.

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #154 on: June 29, 2013, 01:28:09 AM »
I made this a while ago for a summer show before the album comes out. THIS WOULD BE INCREDIBLE-

Bridges in the Sky
Blind Faith
Take the Time
---
On the Backs of Angels
Innocence Faded
Innocence/
Carpe Diem/       (diggi diggi diggi di dah PLEASE DONT GO- strait into the Killing Hand riff on the downbeat, no acoustic intro)
The Killing Hand (NOT the Christmas edition)
---
Forsaken
Light Fuse and Get Away
---
Far From Heaven (acoustic)
Anna Lee (acoustic)
Build Me Up break me down
Stream of Consciousness
Octavarium

Breaking All Illusions

probably just over 2 hours.

Offline FrostbiteZ

« Reply #155 on: June 29, 2013, 01:44:09 AM »
Octavarium beats pretty much every other song they have done. Maybe Metropolis is on par, but other than that I WOULD PAY 40€ ONLY TO SEE OCTAVARIUM PLAYED LIVE.
I agree. I would travel to any part of the world to see them play octavarium. It was the song that got me hooked on DT, so I pray that I at least once get to see them play it

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: June 29, 2013, 01:48:43 AM »
Well, you cover the world quite effectively, so I guess the time will come for your wish to come true. It could happen this forthcoming tour, I guess. There is a possibility.
- Marco

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #157 on: June 29, 2013, 02:11:17 AM »
I really really really really really really really really really want Octavarium, In the Presence of Enemies, and A Change of Seasons to continue to be played live throughout the years as much as all the regularly-sized songs are. Octavarium is most due on this tour.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #158 on: June 29, 2013, 02:35:00 AM »
I made this a while ago for a summer show before the album comes out. THIS WOULD BE INCREDIBLE-

Bridges in the Sky
Blind Faith
Take the Time
---
On the Backs of Angels
Innocence Faded
Innocence/
Carpe Diem/       (diggi diggi diggi di dah PLEASE DONT GO- strait into the Killing Hand riff on the downbeat, no acoustic intro)
---
Forsaken
Light Fuse and Get Away
---
Anna Lee (acoustic)
Stream of Consciousness
Octavarium

Breaking All Illusions

Great setlist, but I think they would at least play one song/the single from DT12 just as they did with OTBOA in 2011.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #159 on: June 29, 2013, 08:48:54 AM »

Bridges in the Sky
Blind Faith
Take the Time
---
On the Backs of Angels
Innocence Faded
Innocence/
---
Forsaken
Light Fuse and Get Away
---
Anna Lee (acoustic)
Stream of Consciousness
Octavarium

Breaking All Illusions

I like this idea...

also...

Y U NO LIKE THE CHRISTMAS HAND?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: June 29, 2013, 09:39:17 AM »
Christmas Hand is almost #10 for me! I love it to death! :D
- Marco

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #161 on: June 29, 2013, 10:12:10 AM »
Because WHAT THE HELL does a fast pace song about a guy going back in time and slaying himself have to do with the nice Christmas spirity mood of by far the most obnoxious Christmas Carol?? And not only that, but make it into a total run-on jam in the most climatic part of the song that ruins the flow.

Now if only I could make one of my beautiful metaphors like on page 166 of the DT in the studio thread..  haha

...and that was today's rant  :lol

Great setlist, but I think they would at least play one song/the single from DT12 just as they did with OTBOA in 2011.

True, thanks. I made another one where I put "New Song" in one place, but it wasn't as good as this set.

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #162 on: June 30, 2013, 07:06:35 AM »
What do we think the odds are that they will be rotating the setlists on the first leg of this tour? I was considering going to Wembley then Wolverhampton but on the first leg of the 2011 tour the setlist was identical. I don't really want to go to see the exact same songs twice :/

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #163 on: June 30, 2013, 12:09:05 PM »
I think because it's evening with, that they will make a different set every night, but out of the same 26 or so songs. Not just A and B set. At least that's what I'm hoping.

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #164 on: June 30, 2013, 12:10:35 PM »
and if I were you I'd take my chances and go to both.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #165 on: June 30, 2013, 12:10:51 PM »
What do we think the odds are that they will be rotating the setlists on the first leg of this tour? I was considering going to Wembley then Wolverhampton but on the first leg of the 2011 tour the setlist was identical. I don't really want to go to see the exact same songs twice :/

I will never get this line of thinking.  So many times, I have left a great concert marveling about how awesome it was, but a little sad that it was over.  And somehow seeing the exact same concert would be a bad thing?  Sure. :lol :lol

Offline GasparXR

« Reply #166 on: June 30, 2013, 12:12:27 PM »
I think because it's evening with, that they will make a different set every night, but out of the same 26 or so songs. Not just A and B set. At least that's what I'm hoping.

If they do an A and B set, or maybe even A B and C, there could be at least a good amount of variation. It's good if they do have regular songs so they get top-notch performances like on the ADTOE tour.

Offline Jinx

« Reply #167 on: June 30, 2013, 12:15:16 PM »
Well my figuring is what if for the A set the close with ACOS and B close with Octavarium? I would cry!

Offline GasparXR

« Reply #168 on: June 30, 2013, 12:16:16 PM »
I doubt they would want to rotate any songs of that caliber. Maybe for the first half of the tour ACOS is played, and 8VM the second half, but not switching them back an forth throughout the tour.

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #169 on: June 30, 2013, 12:59:03 PM »
It's funny that ever since even before I joined the forums I was having the EXACT same thoughts for this tour about 8vm and ACOS you two just wrote. Like word for word.

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #170 on: June 30, 2013, 12:59:40 PM »
Then next tour bring back ITPOE

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #171 on: June 30, 2013, 05:35:55 PM »
Christmas Hand is almost #10 for me! I love it to death! :D

What the hell is the Christmas Hand? I need to hear this now.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #172 on: June 30, 2013, 09:09:48 PM »
It's the version that they've played every single time except for the Images and Words tour and earlier. They play Carol of the Bells in the middle of it and it totally ruins the flow, and it's one of DT's worst jams (actually one of the VERY FEW bad DT jams), but everyone think it's incredible for some reason.  :facepalm:

Offline tuto

« Reply #173 on: July 07, 2013, 08:49:11 PM »
I can REALLY see (and hope) Octavarium and Stream of Consciousness making a return

Offline Jinx

« Reply #174 on: July 08, 2013, 05:42:21 AM »
I'm hoping for one or more of The Mirror (& Lie), Blind Faith, The Glass Prison, Octavarium