Author Topic: 2014 Setlist Predictions Thread  (Read 66138 times)

Online The Letter M

Re: 2014 Setlist Predictions Thread
« Reply #525 on: December 18, 2013, 03:01:53 PM »
So the press release said they'd be play some songs that have never been played live before. That list, oddly enough, is pretty short:
Don't Look Past Me
Space-Dye Vest
The Best Of Times
The Shattered Fortress
Raw Dog

Only five DT songs from studio sessions have never been played live before in some way shape or form by the band. Which songs could they possibly be referring to? I'm hoping for at LEAST SDV and TSF, but DLPM would be awesome too (though I'm not sure, despite how good JLB's been lately, if it can be sung properly).

I highly doubt "Raw Dog" would be performed, nor "The Best Of Times", so it really only leaves 3 songs.

Now there are a number of songs that haven't been played more than a half-dozen times, many of which are FII B-Sides, as well as "Disappear", but I would hope that they don't include any of those songs as part of their songs "never played live before" as they clearly have been performed live.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #526 on: December 18, 2013, 04:03:47 PM »
That's an interesting post, M.

I'd be shocked if SDV is not part of this setlist.

I'm with you on Raw Dog, but I'm holding out hope that TBOT will be played.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #527 on: December 18, 2013, 05:22:44 PM »
Yeah, SDV makes perfect sense considering the 'not played live' criterion and the Awake anniversary.

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #528 on: December 18, 2013, 08:59:31 PM »
Overture of Six Degrees has never been played live by DT has it? Only by a track or the orchestra, right? How come that's never included on that tiny list of songs not played live?

Online The Letter M

« Reply #529 on: December 18, 2013, 10:28:09 PM »
Overture of Six Degrees has never been played live by DT has it? Only by a track or the orchestra, right? How come that's never included on that tiny list of songs not played live?

I could go the "Oh, well SDOIT is technically ONE SONG, so it doesn't really count if they haven't played a PART of it, especially when they've done the rest of it live" route...or I could go and say that it was never really MEANT to be played live, same with what might be the case for "False Awakening Suite" (which was designed as being a concert intro-tape in mind anyway).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #530 on: December 19, 2013, 12:33:04 AM »
So the press release said they'd be play some songs that have never been played live before. That list, oddly enough, is pretty short:
Don't Look Past Me
Space-Dye Vest
The Best Of Times
The Shattered Fortress
Raw Dog

Only five DT songs from studio sessions have never been played live before in some way shape or form by the band. Which songs could they possibly be referring to? I'm hoping for at LEAST SDV and TSF, but DLPM would be awesome too (though I'm not sure, despite how good JLB's been lately, if it can be sung properly).

I honestly wouldn't want to hear ANY of those songs live, especially the most likely choice(s).  :mehlin
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #531 on: December 19, 2013, 02:52:09 AM »
Oh, Blob, why do you have to ruin Christmas.   :laugh: Any of those songs are a cherished gift from the band. 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #532 on: December 19, 2013, 02:59:54 AM »
Oh, Blob, why do you have to ruin Christmas.   :laugh: Any of those songs are a cherished gift from the band. 

This is the first time I've ever heard Raw Dog referred to as a cherished gift. :P
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #533 on: December 19, 2013, 03:07:00 AM »
Look at the Budokan setlist

That night's setlist was designed specifically for the DVD.  If you look at the tourography you will see that Instrumedley was brought back on that night for posterity, having been shelved for almost a year beforehand.  Again, I do not foresee more than one instrumental on this tour.  Raw Dog would be an odd choice, but I'd love to see it played anyway.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #534 on: December 19, 2013, 03:31:27 AM »

This is the first time I've ever heard Raw Dog referred to as a cherished gift. :P

Well, that's because I'm hoping to see every DT song live at least once.  I have 8 to go, plus the new album.  Anything rare or unusual I see as a gift.  And now the impossible Space Dye Vest may happen?  YESSS!!

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #535 on: December 19, 2013, 06:08:15 AM »
when they talk about enigma machine, they ignore raw dog completely, saying that EM is the first instrumental in a decade, which is clearly not.
I think SDV will be played. TBOT is too Portnoy-ish, TSF is a complete mash-up of the 12SS it wouldn't make sense as one and I honestly never heard DLPM  :-\, I'll give it a shot
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline cyberdrummer

« Reply #536 on: December 19, 2013, 06:24:57 AM »
Definitely listen to Don't Look Past Me! It's a great tune.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #537 on: December 19, 2013, 06:31:22 AM »
Definitely listen to Don't Look Past Me! It's a great tune.

One of my favorites of the lesser known songs.  I've been pining for that song to be played for years now!   I would love that and SDV.  With the Awake anniversary, SDV makes the most sense. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #538 on: December 19, 2013, 08:23:26 AM »
Don't Look Past Me
Space-Dye Vest
The Best Of Times
The Shattered Fortress
Raw Dog

I've been saying for quite awhile that I would love it if they did a sort of "mini 12SS" with The Glass Prison -> The Shattered Fortress.  The "evening with" format would be the perfect time for it, as it affords enough time to do it, and something like that, while long, isn't nearly as long as trying to actualy do the entire 12SS (which they wouldn't do anyway, even if they had the time).  I actually think there is a fairly high likelihood that something along these lines will happen.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Blazinarps

« Reply #539 on: December 19, 2013, 09:04:40 AM »
Don't Look Past Me
Space-Dye Vest
The Best Of Times
The Shattered Fortress
Raw Dog

I highly doubt "Raw Dog" would be performed, nor "The Best Of Times", so it really only leaves 3 songs.

Now there are a number of songs that haven't been played more than a half-dozen times, many of which are FII B-Sides, as well as "Disappear", but I would hope that they don't include any of those songs as part of their songs "never played live before" as they clearly have been performed live.

-Marc.

Not true.

False Awakening Suite
The Enemy Inside
The Looking Glass
Enigma Machine
The Bigger Picture
Surrender to Reason
Behind the Veil
Along for the Ride
Illumination Theory

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #540 on: December 19, 2013, 09:50:30 AM »
JP: "We’ll be premiering some songs we’ve never played live before, as well as featured tracks from our latest self-titled release..."

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #541 on: December 19, 2013, 10:01:02 AM »
JP: "We’ll be premiering some songs we’ve never played live before, as well as featured tracks from our latest self-titled release..."

When he said "premiering songs we've never played before", I thought it was pretty obvious he was referring to past songs and not songs on the current release. 

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #542 on: December 19, 2013, 10:13:05 AM »
When he said "premiering songs we've never played before", I thought it was pretty obvious he was referring to past songs and not songs on the current release.
Yeah, I thought so too. I just wanted to point out in case someone didn't get it :P

Online The Letter M

« Reply #543 on: December 19, 2013, 12:07:42 PM »
Yeah, I thought so too. I just wanted to point out in case someone didn't get it :P

I figured we were all good at reading comprehension so I just assumed we all thought that lol guess not... but yeah, he meant BESIDES the new songs.

-Marc.

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #544 on: December 23, 2013, 06:09:17 PM »
First time posting here. Flying over to California for the Fox Performing Arts show from Florida. I've been playing around with set lists and I've come up with 2 setlists that i think are plausible. They're both just shy of 3 hours, with it split into 2 sections. Songs with a / in between them mean they're for different sets. Songs with no slash are the same between both sets.

Set A:
False Awakening Suite intro tape (hopefully with animation)
The Enemy Inside
The Looking Glass
--LaBrie says hi--
Hollow Years/Blind Faith
Under A Glass Moon/Take The Time
The Bigger Picture
--LaBrie Mentions Awake/SFAM Anniversary--
Voices/The Dance of Eternity+One Last Time
Scarred/The Spirit Carries On
Space Dye Vest/Finally Free

intermission

Set B
The Glass Prison/Bridges in the Sky
Panic Attack
Enigma Machine
Behind the Veil
LaBrie mentions SFAM/Awake Anniversary
Overture 1928+Strange Deja Vu/Erotomania
The Dance of Eternity/Space Dye Vest
Surrender to Reason
On the Backs of Angels
Along for the Ride
Illumination Theory
JP/JR Easter Egg

Encore:
Breaking All Illusions/Trial of Tears
or
The Count of Tuscany

I think they'll play at least 2-3 songs from either Awake or SFAM a night, then 3-4 songs for the other to honor both anniversaries. Both sets have all of DT12. Each set features 9 albums with BAI/ToT encore, 10 with TCOT encore. I left out the obvious I&W choices for the encore because i think for at least the first European/NA legs, they'll be leaving them out. Both sets are 21 songs long + the easter egg. I think they'll definitely still be playing the hell out of OTBOA just because it was nominated for a Grammy.

Offline cyberdrummer

« Reply #545 on: December 23, 2013, 06:43:32 PM »
That's one of the most plausible setlists I've seen. Would be happy with either of those.

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #546 on: December 23, 2013, 07:27:14 PM »
That's one of the most plausible setlists I've seen. Would be happy with either of those.

I was going for more plausible than wishful thinking. I tried to be as realistic as possible. Like I wouldn't want Hollow Years to be played necessarily since i don't love the song, but they've played it a lot and haven't in at least 4 years so it has a much bigger chance of coming back than let's say These Walls or This is the Life, the songs that took that spot of the set last tour cycle.

Having The Glass Prison open the second set might be a little wishful thinking, but I think that song is shamefully underplayed and I think most fans would appreciate it coming back.

I fully expect the "song(s) previously never played before" to be Space Dye Vest and maybe TSF on a couple occasions. I know they've been pretty adamant about not playing SDV with a full band with out Moore, but it's the 20th anniversary of the album and they may play it because of it. Or they may play it just James and Jordan like they did earlier this year. TBOT is very personal to Portnoy and i think i read somewhere he asked them not to play it without him. TSF i would think is fair game and could be played on a leg.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #547 on: December 24, 2013, 09:55:14 AM »
I know they've been pretty adamant about not playing SDV with a full band with out Moore...

Pretty sure 'the band' has not said anything of the sort. Only one person has been adamant about playing (or not playing) that song, and he is not in the band any more.

I could also do without any 12SS songs being performed for a while.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline dtrox08

« Reply #548 on: December 25, 2013, 11:33:28 AM »
In the last week Rudess has posted two videos of himself on Youtube practicing short bits of The Looking Glass and Illumination Theory for the tour so we are 100% certain those will be played.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #549 on: December 25, 2013, 11:37:23 AM »
Keep in mind when JP says, "Songs we've never played before," he could be referring to songs the current lineup has never played.

Or he could be pulling an Alex Lifeson and be referring to songs they haven't played in a long time. :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #550 on: December 25, 2013, 11:57:28 AM »
For those that think TBOT is off limits and I'm not one of them, what about adding TBOT outro to Take Away My Pain?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #551 on: December 25, 2013, 12:05:41 PM »
For those that think TBOT is off limits and I'm not one of them, what about adding TBOT outro to Take  Away My Pain   The Time?

:biggrin:
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #552 on: December 26, 2013, 02:47:22 AM »
For those that think TBOT is off limits and I'm not one of them, what about adding TBOT outro to Take Away My Pain?

Thematically, that's a great idea:  Bookend Take Away My Pain with the TBOT intro and outro instrumental sections.  When TBOT switches to major key, I can see that really working as a segway for Take Away My Pain.  Although, it might be seen as an insensitive gesture -- taking the song about one father's death and inserting another.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #553 on: January 02, 2014, 05:54:06 PM »
So I constructed a list of DT songs they haven't yet played live with Mike Mangini, and looking at it, it's impressive how many songs they actually DID play on the last tour- 36 songs, counting "Through My Words/Fatal Tragedy" as one, but counting "War Inside My Head" and "The Test That Stumped Them All" as two.

Anyways, here's the list...

Dream Theater Songs
Not Yet Played Live w/Mike Mangini

WDADU
Status Seeker
The Killing Hand
Light Fuse And Get Away
Afterlife
The Ones Who Help To Set The Sun
Only A Matter Of Time

IAW
Take The Time

Awake
Innocence Faded
Erotomania
Voices
The Mirror
Lie
Lifting Shadows Off A Dream
Scarred
Space-Dye Vest*

FII
New Millennium
You Not Me
Hollow Years
Burning My Soul
Hell's Kitchen
Lines In The Sand
Take Away My Pain
Just Let Me Breathe
Anna Lee
Trial Of Tears

SFAM
Scene One: Regression
Scene Two: I. Overture 1928/II. Strange Deja Vu
Scene Four: Beyond This Life
Scene Five: Through Her Eyes
Scene Six: Home
Scene Seven: I. The Dance Of Eternity/II. One Last Time
Scene Nine: Finally Free

SDOIT
The Glass Prison
Blind Faith
Misunderstood
Disappear
About To Crash
Goodnight Kiss
Solitary Shell
About To Crash (Reprise)
Losing Time/Grand Finale

TOT
This Dying Soul
Honor Thy Father
Vacant
Stream Of Consciousness
In The Name Of God

8VM
The Answer Lies Within
I Walk Beside You
Panic Attack
Never Enough
Sacrificed Sons
Octavarium

SC
In The Presence Of Enemies
Constant Motion
Repentance
Prophets Of War
The Ministry Of Lost Souls

BC&SL
A Nightmare To Remember
A Rite Of Passage
Wither
The Shattered Fortress*
The Best Of Times*

Non-Album Tracks:
Don't Look Past Me*
Eve
Raise The Knife
Where Are You Now?
The Way It Used To Be
Cover My Eyes
Speak To Me
Raw Dog

There's about 70 songs they could pull from, and in fact, if they do a full 2.5-3 hour show, that would be around 160-180 minutes of music, enough time to cover about 14-18 songs/tracks.

Now going under the assumption that they will play a good chunk of NEW music (say, 6-7 songs each night), that would take up about a third of the show, or about an hour. This leaves 8-12 songs, or about 100-120 minutes of music.

They very well could pick any of the above songs and not repeat any songs they played on the last tour and have a completely unique and different pool of songs to pick from for this coming tour. I would hope they see how much music they can choose from and think of this when formulating their set lists. They could easily fill in 2 hours of music from any of the over 60 songs above and not play the same 20-somg songs they did last tour. In fact, if I could pick 12-15 songs above that would be perfect for the coming tour, I'd choose:

Afterlife
Only A Matter Of Time
Take THe Time
Erotomania
Voices
The Mirror
Scarred
Space-Dye Vest
New Millennium
Lines In The Sand
Take Away My Pain ('96 version)
Beyond This Life
Home
The Dance Of Eternity/One Last Time
Misunderstood
Blind Faith
Honor Thy Father
Vacant/Stream Of Consciousness
Panic Attack
Sacrificed Sons
Prophets Of War
The Ministry Of Lost Souls
A Nightmare To Remember
The Shattered Fortress

I honestly doubt they'd pick any of the 18+ minute epics (so that rules out ACOS, 8VM, and ITPOE), mostly because they'd likely play "Illumination Theory" somewhere in the set (either at the end of the second half, or in the encore).

I mean, they could pick two or three songs from any of the albums in the above list, rotate some in and out like they did last tour, and play ALL NEW SONGS with this line-up that were not performed last tour.

Unfortunately, we'll still likely get PMU or Metropolis as they're their more well-known and fan-favorite pieces. I guess I am okay with that, but we have ENOUGH renditions of those tunes from many tours, give other songs a chance, old AND new, to shine. Besides, the old ones are pre-MP vocals, and JLB's voice has been SOOO good lately that he has done better on the pre-SFAM stuff, so bring on the earlier tunes!!!

-Marc.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #554 on: January 03, 2014, 09:34:13 PM »
Marc, very well thought out analysis, although you may have overlooked ADTOE in your breakdown, which we should be sure to hear a few tracks make a return in the setlist.  I agree that there will be a number of catalog songs from the last tour making a reappearance:  for example, PMU, Metropolis, Caught in a Web, etc.  It would be great if all the non-DT 12 tracks are songs not previously played on the last tour, but I don't foresee that happening.     

Online The Letter M

« Reply #555 on: January 03, 2014, 10:20:35 PM »
Marc, very well thought out analysis, although you may have overlooked ADTOE in your breakdown, which we should be sure to hear a few tracks make a return in the setlist.  I agree that there will be a number of catalog songs from the last tour making a reappearance:  for example, PMU, Metropolis, Caught in a Web, etc.  It would be great if all the non-DT 12 tracks are songs not previously played on the last tour, but I don't foresee that happening.   

I did disregard the ADTOE tracks in my list above because I was listing songs that the band has not yet played live with the current line-up, and on the last tour, they played every song from the then-new album, ADTOE, so none of those tracks were listed.

As for any of them being played on the upcoming tour, I'd hope for no more than 2, to be honest. The band has SO MUCH material to play that playing any more than 2 of the songs from the previous album would be an injustice to the huge back-catalog they have. Maybe OTBOA and one other like TITL or BMUBMD. Other than that, leave the epics alone and give that time to other songs in the back-catalog.

As for songs returning from the previous tour, I could see them doing that, especially the more popular tracks, but I hope that no more than 4 or 5 songs from the last tour return for this year's tour. I'd really like to hear this line-up play more of the old stuff, and maybe some lesser played recent tunes like POW or NE or HTF.

I guess we will find out in less than 2 weeks what their pool of songs will be for this tour, at least on the first leg of the tour.

-Marc.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #556 on: January 03, 2014, 11:12:36 PM »
As for any of them being played on the upcoming tour, I'd hope for no more than 2, to be honest. The band has SO MUCH material to play that playing any more than 2 of the songs from the previous album would be an injustice to the huge back-catalog they have. Maybe OTBOA and one other like TITL or BMUBMD. Other than that, leave the epics alone and give that time to other songs in the back-catalog.

Couldn't agree more.

Looking forward to this first batch of surprises. 

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #557 on: January 04, 2014, 10:50:56 AM »
Oh snap, they're starting in like 2 weeks aren't they?

I'm always very excited to see setlists. :caffeine:
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #558 on: January 04, 2014, 10:58:06 AM »
Oh snap, they're starting in like 2 weeks aren't they?
On the 15th - less than 2 weeks to go!
I'd really like to hear this line-up play more of the old stuff, and maybe some lesser played recent tunes like POW or NE or HTF.
Please no... :puke:

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #559 on: January 04, 2014, 11:00:59 AM »
I can't wait for the ensuing bootlegs!! 

I would really love to see ACOS brought back again. I know it's a big chunk of the setlist but that's just an amazing song to see performed live.