Author Topic: 2014 Setlist Predictions Thread  (Read 66550 times)

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
Re: 2014 Setlist Predictions Thread
« Reply #385 on: September 23, 2013, 12:27:58 PM »
I would SO MUCH rather it be Awake, but SFAM would be AWESOME!!!

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #386 on: September 23, 2013, 12:46:45 PM »
What with JP's recent comments regarding SDV, I think Awake in full will have to wait.

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #387 on: September 23, 2013, 12:52:51 PM »
The only thing is SFAM has already been played in full on two tours. Plus I love the Awake album more.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #388 on: September 23, 2013, 01:15:00 PM »
Hearing SFAM in full would be awesome.  If they decide to go through with that, I hope it's not a one-night-only thing.

Honestly, I'd be an extremely happy camper if they played DT12 in one set and SFAM in the other.  That would be incredible.  The encore could be You Not Me and it would still have one of the best setlists I'm likely to ever see at a live show.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #389 on: September 23, 2013, 02:27:26 PM »
The only thing is SFAM has already been played in full on two tours. Plus I love the Awake album more.

Agree 100%.  This is re-treaded territory.  Sorry to the late comers, but it just wouldn't be special to those who have already seen it on those tours (5 times!!). 

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #390 on: September 23, 2013, 02:29:27 PM »
Believe it or not, the primary purpose of a band is NOT to make things special for one particular group of people. 

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #391 on: September 23, 2013, 06:31:52 PM »
I wasn't a DT fan until 2011 and I said that... BOOM haha

Seriously though, it would be incredibly special if I got to see SFAM. Just MORE special if it was Awake. As in "incredibly special" against "ridiculously extremely special".

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #392 on: September 23, 2013, 09:34:05 PM »
what about both?

Especially Special?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #393 on: September 23, 2013, 10:08:38 PM »
Quite. I would TOTALLY want that. I love really random and crazy set lists. Weird flows are absolutely no problem for me. Although I enjoy great flows too, don't get me wrong.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #394 on: September 24, 2013, 12:00:32 AM »
I'll say it again, DT12 as the first set, SFAM as the second and Octavarium (song) as an encore would be the greatest show ever :heart

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #395 on: September 24, 2013, 12:11:29 AM »
Make it ACOS and I would be happier. Believe it or not.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #396 on: September 24, 2013, 12:15:37 AM »
Let's change it to Space-Dye Vest + 8VM ;)

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #397 on: September 24, 2013, 04:24:10 AM »
I'm really re-thinking seeing them this tour, like I said here:

I'm just sitting here thinking that whether or not I like this album will decide whether or not I go see them this first leg of the tour. I mean, I already dislike the major part of everything they did from and including Octavarium up to this point, so that's legitimately almost half of the setlist, add another album they'll be promoting that I'm not sold on and it'll probably be pointless to travel to another country (even if it's relatively close and I get to meet DTFers and I technically speak the language :xbones) and give up a shitload of other shows in this period just to see them.

Even if they do play for three hours or play LTL or SDV or whatever, they've been straying from what I like to listen to since before I even started listening to them, at some point you gotta admit a band and you are going separate ways.
Since I'm not really crazy about the new album, and they'll likely be playing it safer with the setlist than I'd like them to, I'm questioning it. They probably won't be doing the SFAM thing in Europe, and they probably won't do anything related to Awake at all, unless they play a show around the album anniversary, which is in October. SDV won't be dug up on this tour, even though the time is perfect, and neither will any song that doesn't get the crowd pumped up. Which is understandable, since they've written many live-show-ready songs over the years, they might as well just do those... but that's just one side of the DT I love.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #398 on: September 24, 2013, 07:49:12 AM »
I've already bought a ticket, so it's too late for me to regret :sadpanda:

Just kidding... The new album isn't fantastic, but they only come here every 2 years and it's an evening with DT, so I bet I would regret not going afterwards. I know they'll play my least favorite songs, because those are the single, the instrumental and the epic, so they might as well play the whole album. Hopefully the songs I'm not crazy about will sound better at the show...

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #399 on: September 24, 2013, 08:15:10 AM »
The new album isn't fantastic

...in your opinion. I'm pretty sure it will eventually replace ADTOE as my #5, maybe even Awake as #4.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #400 on: September 24, 2013, 11:12:10 PM »
The new album isn't fantastic
...in your opinion.
Yes, but my opinions are facts :neverusethis:

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #401 on: September 25, 2013, 01:51:57 AM »

Offline Fronobulax

« Reply #402 on: September 25, 2013, 05:03:42 PM »
Was watching when dream and day reunite the other day and it occurred to me that they could possibly play it in full this tour seeing as it would be very close to its 25th anniversary and it was last played in full on its 15th anniversary. (would much rather prefer awake or SFAM though)

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #403 on: September 26, 2013, 12:20:02 AM »
I'd love to see a WDADU anniversary show, but it won't happen because the band aren't extremely proud of that album and it's kind of unknown to many fans. Besides, the band didn't play I&W in full last year even though it was the 20th anniversary of that album and judging by JP's comments we won't see Space-Dye Vest live soon, so I think SFAM is the only album with the potential of an anniversary show.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #404 on: September 26, 2013, 01:12:08 AM »
I'd love to see a WDADU anniversary show, but it won't happen because the band aren't extremely proud of that album and it's kind of unknown to many fans. Besides, the band didn't play I&W in full last year even though it was the 20th anniversary of that album and judging by JP's comments we won't see Space-Dye Vest live soon, so I think SFAM is the only album with the potential of an anniversary show.

They did, on the date of I&W's release, play some extra songs from I&W during the encore. I'd say this is a more likely scenario, even if it's across the tour, where they play a select few songs from Awake and/or SFAM.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #405 on: September 26, 2013, 01:15:56 AM »
They did, on the date of I&W's release, play some extra songs from I&W during the encore. I'd say this is a more likely scenario, even if it's across the tour, where they play a select few songs from Awake and/or SFAM.
I know, but Fronobulax was talking about playing albums in full. Anyway, it seems that MP was more into these nostalgia events than the rest of the band and I remember Setlist Scotty (or someone else with connections to the band) saying they reminded JP of the I&W anniversary.

Offline FrostbiteZ

« Reply #406 on: September 26, 2013, 02:27:14 AM »
I'll say it again, DT12 as the first set, SFAM as the second and Octavarium (song) as an encore would be the greatest show ever :heart

agree :metal

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #407 on: September 26, 2013, 02:20:10 PM »
Now that I've heard the album-

*No intro tape or anything. Just pitch black and the band walks out; if you have good eyesight, you might be able to see them, but no lights until they start. Mangini counts to four and...*
1. False Awakening Suite (I'm imagining the lights flashing on stage to the rhythm of the intro while they play :metal)
2. The Enemy Inside
3. The Looking Glass
-JLB says hi
4. Take The Time
5. This Dying Soul
6. Enigma Machine
7. The Bigger Picture
8. Piano solo/ About To Crash
9. Constant Motion
-JLB talks again with soft soothing voice while JR improvs softly
10. Far From Heaven
11. Vacant
12. The Killing Hand

--Intermission--

13. Behind The Veil
14. Surrender to Reason
15. On the Backs of Angels
16. Raw Dog/ (end with the main abrupt rhythm thing, pause a second and go into-)
17. Strange Deja Vu
18. I Walk Beside You (with heartbeat and ticking intro)
-JLB introduces AFTR
19. Along For The Ride
20. Illumination Theory

21. 6:00
22. Learning to Live

about 2hr 45 min + 15 minute intermission (if I added it up right).

Offline GasparXR

« Reply #408 on: September 26, 2013, 03:16:51 PM »
Raw Dog into Strange Deja Vu wouldn't work that quickly because of totally different guitar/bass tunings. If they actually perform FAS, that might be the case as well unless JP/JM switch their instruments quickly.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #409 on: September 26, 2013, 03:57:43 PM »
Change RawDog/ Strange DV into Overture 1928/SDV and 6:00 to Wait For Sleep and I'll be hooked :D

(Mind you I love 6:00 and don't mind RawDog... i just think it would flow better this way)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 04:04:58 PM by JayOctavarium »

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #410 on: September 26, 2013, 04:51:13 PM »
Raw Dog into Strange Deja Vu wouldn't work that quickly because of totally different guitar/bass tunings. If they actually perform FAS, that might be the case as well unless JP/JM switch their instruments quickly.

Oh I didn't think about that  :-\ Yea I guess just they switch quickly and the transition takes as long as it takes. Or actually, can a 6 stg song be played on a 7 stg? Or do you literally mean tuning like drop D or something?

Change RawDog/ Strange DV into Overture 1928/SDV and 6:00 to Wait For Sleep and I'll be hooked :D

Naah, I like this way  :) Raw Dog and 6:00 more exciting in the context of this set (key words "in context". The main reason I'm terrible at rating DT songs and albums).

Offline GasparXR

« Reply #411 on: September 26, 2013, 05:39:48 PM »

Oh I didn't think about that  :-\ Yea I guess just they switch quickly and the transition takes as long as it takes. Or actually, can a 6 stg song be played on a 7 stg? Or do you literally mean tuning like drop D or something?

Naah, I like this way  :) Raw Dog and 6:00 more exciting in the context of this set (key words "in context". The main reason I'm terrible at rating DT songs and albums).

Well, not only is Raw Dog on a 7-string, but it's ALSO tuned down to A. So they would have to physically switch instruments.

Offline Nofire

« Reply #412 on: September 29, 2013, 05:18:22 AM »
This might be considered blasphemy around here, but i REALLY hope they don't do SFAM in its entirety when I see them in Stockholm, or any other album for that matter. I'm not a big fan of the "play a whole album" format, unless it's a full stage production of The Wall, which is so much more than just the music. For me, it shuts the door to hearing songs that I like more, especially if they are going to cram a bunch of new songs in there as well.

As for what I would like to hear instead:

TGP (to start the second set)
Home
LTL (would be an amazing encore)
8VM
ACOS (although I can't see it happening if they also do 8VM, and maybe neither will fit in since I'm sure they'll play IT)
LSOAD
Trapped inside this Octavarium

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #413 on: September 29, 2013, 06:22:04 AM »
I'd be surprised if they played SFAM in full, because that would take the attention away from the new album, which DT are supposed to promote. That said, I think it's possible that there could be a second leg dedicated to the SFAM anniversary later in 2014.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #414 on: September 29, 2013, 08:39:05 AM »
I'd be surprised if they played SFAM in full, because that would take the attention away from the new album, which DT are supposed to promote. That said, I think it's possible that there could be a second leg dedicated to the SFAM anniversary later in 2014.

My thoughts as well. I'm not expecting anything (and I'm glad of it) for the first couple of world legs.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline cyberdrummer

« Reply #415 on: September 29, 2013, 09:04:14 AM »
I don't think there'll even be a full leg for SFAM. I think a few special shows in the usual big cities could well happen though.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #416 on: September 29, 2013, 03:43:22 PM »
I don't think there'll even be a full leg for SFAM. I think a few special shows in the usual big cities could well happen though.

But those would be on second nights, right? There are no second nights in the EU leg.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline cyberdrummer

« Reply #417 on: September 29, 2013, 04:07:51 PM »
Well I was thinking a few shows within the space of a couple of weeks, after the main legs of the tour had taken place.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #418 on: September 30, 2013, 07:22:23 AM »
Fellas fellas fellas..
I love this discussion.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline cyberdrummer

« Reply #419 on: September 30, 2013, 09:07:17 AM »
I love pointless tour discussion.