Author Topic: 2014 Setlist Predictions Thread  (Read 66432 times)

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
Re: 2014 Setlist Predictions Thread
« Reply #210 on: July 23, 2013, 02:58:23 AM »
I don't think they will. They will likely come up with a well though out setlist revolving around James, with a few hard songs well dispersed among a sea of easier songs or instrumental breaks. Their catalogue is vast enough to allow them to do so without compromising at all the quality of the show. Hell, that's what they have done with ADTOE and that's also why James reached the DVD shooting at full power! They will surely do that again!  ;)
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #211 on: July 23, 2013, 03:01:52 AM »
Well, I'll trust your instinct :D However, James has had a long career and his voice has gone through a lot, so I wouldn't blame him at all if they were forced to transpose songs.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #212 on: July 23, 2013, 03:20:20 AM »
So on the upcoming tour I think we can safely assume that at least ONE song from Images and Words will be played. Now, I was thinking that the only song from IAW that didnt get played on the Dramatic Tour was Take The Time. So could we see it this time around?

That's my line of thought too! But with a caveat: Metropolis is too big, beloved and anthemic song for the band to leave it completely out of the picture for an entire tour cycle (so far it only happened once, in 2002). Plus, the song was played only a handful of times in Europe, and never during the main tour in promotion of ADTOE. I would say it's not unlikely for it to make an appearance in the early stages of the tour.

The other two songs that got a small stage time last time (and generally in the last 7 years) are LTL and Another Day. They could make a return, but I don't see that happening for the only reason that songs as vocally challanging as they are may not be a great idea to preserve James's voice intact for a full world tour of 2,5/3h shows.

So, Take The Time is the most reasonable option, yes.

I agree that Take the Time is likely to make a comeback, but I'm not sure it's actually any easier to sing than LtL. If anything, there are longer, more difficult passages. I just hope they don't cut out any sections like they did when it was last played - I think that was an MP decision, so fingers crossed.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #213 on: July 23, 2013, 04:44:23 AM »
Metropolis is too big, beloved and anthemic song for the band to leave it completely out of the picture for an entire tour cycle (so far it only happened once, in 2002). Plus, the song was played only a handful of times in Europe, and never during the main tour in promotion of ADTOE. I would say it's not unlikely for it to make an appearance in the early stages of the tour.

:caffeine:

The other two songs that got a small stage time last time (and generally in the last 7 years) are LTL and Another Day. They could make a return

I hope not.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 05:25:59 AM by aprilethereal »

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #214 on: July 23, 2013, 04:52:37 AM »
You know, when you make a subtle edit of a post, especially if the edit is just removing the "un" in "unlikely", you should highlight it. People would misunderstand your message.
- Marco

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #215 on: July 23, 2013, 04:55:17 AM »
Well, I'll trust your instinct :D However, James has had a long career and his voice has gone through a lot, so I wouldn't blame him at all if they were forced to transpose songs.
Oh, and if they have the WWRD mentality, then it's not impossible that they might tune songs down live, since Rush have been playing the sections of 2112 in D for quite a while. Then again, Rush have played medleys and JP doesn't like those, so... :lol

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #216 on: July 23, 2013, 05:25:20 AM »
You know, when you make a subtle edit of a post, especially if the edit is just removing the "un" in "unlikely", you should highlight it. People would misunderstand your message.

Sorry, that was a mistake :D

I didn't mean to remove it.

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #217 on: July 23, 2013, 06:14:19 AM »
I was hoping they would keep Metropolis. If I witness that live I will spend the rest of 2014 a very happy man  ;D

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #218 on: July 23, 2013, 10:35:44 AM »
A couple things.

First, according to all the knowledge I have, TTT is actually definitely much more difficult to sing than LTL or AD, and probably is for almost any singer. Basically because the high notes are much more spread out in the second two so if your throat tenses a bit you aren't really in any trouble.

Also, edits and transpositions RUIN songs for me. I'd rather see him make an entirely new melody (like AD on SFNY which sounded godly) than them just disrupt the entire feel of the song. I also hope (and think) this happening is less likely with JP having more control than MP.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #219 on: July 23, 2013, 01:04:20 PM »
A couple things.

First, according to all the knowledge I have, TTT is actually definitely much more difficult to sing than LTL or AD, and probably is for almost any singer. Basically because the high notes are much more spread out in the second two so if your throat tenses a bit you aren't really in any trouble.

Also, edits and transpositions RUIN songs for me. I'd rather see him make an entirely new melody (like AD on SFNY which sounded godly) than them just disrupt the entire feel of the song. I also hope (and think) this happening is less likely with JP having more control than MP.

I agree with you on that one. Well, I understand transposition and why old singers use it nowadays, so that doesn't bother me much. What does bother me are the edits on the song... like the "abridged" versions of Voices and Take the Time DT played during TOT/SC/BC&SL tours. I mean, they cut probably some of the best sections of the song to give James a break which isn't that nice. It would have been better if they played other songs that aren't so demanding on the vocal department instead of those ones, although I get the "playing those songs" in one way or another. They are DT classic tracks and are incredibly well received live... but hey, that's me.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #220 on: July 24, 2013, 02:57:21 AM »
Nah, that's not you. Abridging songs makes no sense. To think that in 98 they abridged the whole second verse of metropolis, after realizingmhow bad was the song with toned down melodies.
- Marco

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #221 on: July 25, 2013, 12:56:58 PM »
Nah, that's not you. Abridging songs makes no sense. To think that in 98 they abridged the whole second verse of metropolis, after realizingmhow bad was the song with toned down melodies.
You make me feel funny down there  :heart

After some meditation, I've come to the conclusion that I'd take transposition over abridging songs any day of the week. Transposing isn't as bad as many people say it is, I'd rather have a full song but a half-step or one whole step down than having the logical and musical structure of the song cut in all of a sudden.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #222 on: July 25, 2013, 01:40:25 PM »
Yup, transposing songs is ALWAYS better than abridging them.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #223 on: July 25, 2013, 03:00:25 PM »

The other two songs that got a small stage time last time (and generally in the last 7 years) are LTL and Another Day. They could make a return, but I don't see that happening for the only reason that songs as vocally challanging as they are may not be a great idea to preserve James's voice intact for a full world tour of 2,5/3h shows.

I know James is 7 years older now, but on the 20th tour, they did AD/LTL as the encore (I'm sure you have the Toronto boot... with Jacob's Ladder), and he nailed LtL.  He might not have held the big notes for too long, but he sure did hit them.  And TTT has to be more challenging, as there are whole stanza's that stay at that high range, vs individual notes.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: July 25, 2013, 03:19:03 PM »
Yes, the fact is that 7 years have passed since then. And even in 05/06, which is supposed to be a good year for James in most fans' minds, just a few selected LTLs were great, and probably none of the TTT performances at all.
- Marco

Offline Grizz

« Reply #225 on: July 25, 2013, 06:25:09 PM »
I didn't think that PMU/Metropolis '10 was that bad...
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline cyberdrummer

« Reply #226 on: July 25, 2013, 07:12:32 PM »
Is that the same as PullMetropolis 05/06? If so, that was quite good.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #227 on: July 26, 2013, 12:53:26 AM »
No, it was just Metropolis. After "to this mind" they would go directly into the indtrumental section.
- Marco

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #228 on: July 29, 2013, 01:21:18 PM »
It's the version that they've played every single time except for the Images and Words tour and earlier. They play Carol of the Bells in the middle of it and it totally ruins the flow, and it's one of DT's worst jams (actually one of the VERY FEW bad DT jams), but everyone think it's incredible for some reason.  :facepalm:

You mean the keyboard solo, that isn't really a solo, just the synth noise on the album. Yeah it does feel out of place but I like that addition.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Grizz

« Reply #229 on: August 01, 2013, 10:19:57 AM »
No, it was just Metropolis. After "to this mind" they would go directly into the indtrumental section.
No, I'm talking about in 2010, when after the last chorus of PMU, they went straight to Metropolis's (extended) instrumental section.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline cyberdrummer

« Reply #230 on: August 01, 2013, 10:32:17 AM »
Yeah thought so, that's the same version they played on the 20th Anniversary Tour. 

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #231 on: August 01, 2013, 11:28:40 AM »
No, I'm talking about in 2010, when after the last chorus of PMU, they went straight to Metropolis's (extended) instrumental section.

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood your previous post. Maybe I'm just biased against PMU/MET due to my strong bias against medleys in general :D
- Marco

Offline cyberdrummer

« Reply #232 on: August 01, 2013, 11:34:56 AM »
So am I in general, but I particularly enjoyed that one back in 2005. It probably helped that it was my first DT show.

Offline cyberdrummer

« Reply #233 on: August 02, 2013, 09:09:31 AM »
The Enemy Inside is surely odds on to be the show opener? And I reckon it's likely they'll play the entire album.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #234 on: August 02, 2013, 10:13:57 AM »
So am I in general, but I particularly enjoyed that one back in 2005. It probably helped that it was my first DT show.

The only reason I ever listen to those pieces are the little cute instrumental improvisation before the last verse of metropolis. If it weren't for them I would completely shun PMU/Met  :angel:

As for The Enemy Inside, it remains to be seen if there is such a thing of a musical connection with FAS. If the latter flows into the former then I can say that it's safely decided that The Enemy Inside will be the first song to be performed (if FAS is intro-taped) or the second (if FAS is played). Otherwise it could be just anywhere, like OTBOA.
- Marco

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #235 on: August 03, 2013, 12:39:42 PM »
I doubt they'll play it, but I'd love Trial Of Tears.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #236 on: August 03, 2013, 12:52:45 PM »
I doubt they'll play it, but I'd love Trial Of Tears.

Who wouldn't?  :D
- Marco

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #237 on: August 03, 2013, 01:07:26 PM »
I'd rather have Scarred :heart
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #238 on: August 03, 2013, 01:27:22 PM »
I'd rather have Scarred :heart

Can't we have both? :hearts:
- Marco

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #239 on: August 03, 2013, 01:32:01 PM »
The Enemy Inside is surely odds on to be the show opener? And I reckon it's likely they'll play the entire album.
I bet we'll see the album opener as the show opener for this tour because JP clearly said they wrote their own intro music for this album.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline cyberdrummer

« Reply #240 on: August 03, 2013, 06:38:18 PM »
Well yeah I agree, but I think that'll be an intro tape. The Enemy Inside will probably be the first song the band actually performs.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #241 on: August 05, 2013, 06:47:06 AM »
I think it would be pretty cool if they just played the whole album front to back with the intro tape as the first song.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #242 on: August 06, 2013, 02:49:42 AM »
Yeah I think you can tell that the FAS that they will use to open the show will flow straight into TEI.

But my question is this - Seeing as this album appears like it will be balls to the wall heavy, does anyone think they will flesh the show out with much more mellow songs? Or will we still see songs like BITS, Outcry, ITNOG, TGP (just examples of heavier songs from past albums!)??

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #243 on: August 06, 2013, 02:51:46 AM »
I really don't expect the whole album to be this heavy. Instead, I can imagine TEI being the album's heaviest song, so there is still a good chance we will see songs from TOT and stuff like that. When it comes to ADTOE, I think the songs that are most likely to be played are OTBOA and BAI.

Offline cyberdrummer

« Reply #244 on: August 06, 2013, 02:56:40 AM »
I really don't expect the whole album to be this heavy. Instead, I can imagine TEI being the album's heaviest song, so there is still a good chance we will see songs from TOT and stuff like that. When it comes to ADTOE, I think the songs that are most likely to be played are OTBOA and BAI.

Agreed. There's nothing to suggest the entire album will be as heavy as TEI.