Author Topic: An Original Piece for My High School's Wind Ensemble  (Read 832 times)

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
An Original Piece for My High School's Wind Ensemble
« on: November 13, 2013, 02:11:25 PM »
So last year I spent about four months composing and arranging a piece for my high school's wind ensemble (about 60 of the school's top musicians), which involved writing about 20 distinct instrumental parts. I love composing, especially film score-esque music (although writing prog is always fun too!), and I've got two pieces in the works for the concerts this year.

Last year was my freshman year, so it was a pretty big deal for me. It's got its fair share of odd time signatures and jazz chords and whatnot, so I thought the musicians over here at DTF might appreciate it. Playing with the wind ensemble on piano at the final concert was such a rewarding experience; it made all the effort worthwhile. The piece starts around 0:33. Hope you all enjoy!  :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao7AV_YJidM

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
Re: An Original Piece for My High School's Wind Ensemble
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 09:01:21 PM »
That must feel amazing, to play or conduct the piece you've worked on so hard for so long. In fact, I will be doing that soon for my orchestra, though that's just 5-7 different parts (violin 1/2, viola, cello, bass, optional: harp/piano) instead of the many wind instruments and percussion.

I like the song.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
Re: An Original Piece for My High School's Wind Ensemble
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 08:33:59 PM »
That must feel amazing, to play or conduct the piece you've worked on so hard for so long. In fact, I will be doing that soon for my orchestra, though that's just 5-7 different parts (violin 1/2, viola, cello, bass, optional: harp/piano) instead of the many wind instruments and percussion.

I like the song.

It was such a wonderful experience. I was smiling from ear to ear the whole time.