Author Topic: Luna Park: My box came ripped! Be careful in buying at myplaydirect  (Read 11416 times)

Offline Bootstrap

Re: Luna Park: My box came ripped! Be careful in buying at myplaydirect
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2013, 03:23:19 PM »
In www.myplaydirect.com/dream-theater the banner says "offical store", so I believe the band had to approve it.

Offline WheyWaffles

« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2013, 03:27:14 PM »
Do DT have anything to do with MPD? I went to their website and it seems that RR and LN are handling their merchandizing.

The official DT site linked this shitsite which is why me and many others pre-ordered from them.

https://www.myplaydirect.com/dream-theater

"DREAM THEATER OFFICIAL STORE" says it all.  An apology posted on dreamtheater.net is in order.

Edit: Too late...

Offline Bootstrap

« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2013, 04:13:23 PM »
 WheyWaffles , my box came damaged. What happened with your order?

Offline WheyWaffles

« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2013, 05:06:42 PM »
WheyWaffles , my box came damaged. What happened with your order?

Shipped late via the shittiest form of shipping in the US (UPS Mail Innovations) for which they charged me as much as 2-day USPS Priority shipping.  I could have gotten it from Amazon for half the price, shipping included, and had it days earlier.  You're much worse off than me, but I'm still counting the days till they respond to my inquiry.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2013, 04:47:18 AM »
This sucks.  They don't have a phone number?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Bootstrap

« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2013, 06:39:37 AM »
 I searched for a phone number or some email and found nothing. The only two ways to get in touch with them is through the form on the site and on twitter. And both are completely ignored.

This morning I've done the standard procedure to do every day: I sent one more email requesting the resolution of my problem (no answer) and left one more message on twitter asking the same thing (also unanswered).

Let's see how long will prolong this ridiculous lack of communication.

Not having received at least one "hey, I saw your email" gives a sense of complete abandonment and being deceived.   

130 USD (plus tax, shipping) thrown out the window.

EDIT:  Today there was at least one new fact: the automated response email  no more says  than in 24 hours someone will answer. Now says:

Hello,

Thanks for your email. This is an automated response confirming that we have received your inquiry.

We're currently experiencing an unusually high volume of emails and unfortunately it may take us several days to respond to your email. We're adding additional staff and are working around the clock to answer all emails in the order they were received. We're very sorry for the wait and apologize for the inconvenience.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 06:50:41 AM by Bootstrap »

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2013, 10:16:56 AM »
My issue has been put to bed. I returned the Best Buy copy which was pristine condition and held on to my slightly damaged over priced copy from My Play Direct. The cover is kind of wavy like it was wet or something. Not bad like yours Bootstrap.

Anyway, I am still following this cause I want to see what resolution you all get.
I inquired a week ago how I can do a return which they say you can, and still they have not responded!

I also tried to find other ways to contact this shit company, but you just can't! I don't know if Dream Theater is aware of how bad these pieces of shit are but it really is a bad reflection on them. At least that's how I feel.

I paid 25 bucks and waited way to long for something I could have gotten for 8 bucks less in great shape with no hassles.

I actually did get a response to one of my 4 emails sent. That one pertained to when my copy would arrive. I got a bullshit generic response. The other 3 pertained to getting a return number and procedure. The crickets are still chirping as I wait for a response to any of those.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 10:26:33 AM by Tick »
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2013, 05:31:46 PM »

Come on dude, isn't that somewhat pushing it? I mean, in the end the side of the box is dinged. I would hardly call that the whole thing as being worthless.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2013, 07:26:18 PM »

Come on dude, isn't that somewhat pushing it? I mean, in the end the side of the box is dinged. I would hardly call that the whole thing as being worthless.

Something like this is a collector's item, and suppose to always be kept in pristine condition. Frankly any damage to this set on arrival should result in an immediate replacement.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2013, 07:54:26 PM »
Yeah, I'd be pretty pissed and felt like it was a waste of money too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Bootstrap

« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2013, 08:26:13 PM »

Something like this is a collector's item, and suppose to always be kept in pristine condition. Frankly any damage to this set on arrival should result in an immediate replacement.

Exact.

A damaged item like this for a collector loses the value. Here in the forum we have perhaps the biggest Dream Theater collectors in the world.  Ask any of them if the damage in my book-box is something small or big.

And my prejudice goes beyond money: I'm missing the chance to see / hear the band I like, after all, I did not open the box until today because I requested a replacement. Imagine how difficult it is to a hardcore fan  take that kind of attitude. It also has a value... a big value.

In a world where piracy is growing, I think it's fair to buy the collector's edition because I think it's fair to financially support the band that I love so much.

This MyDirectPlay is a real catastrophe. Dream Theater does not deserve a store selling their stuff so bad. And their fans do not deserve to have to deal with it.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2013, 09:34:16 PM »

Exactly.  Otherwise if it's not even worth paying full price for it.   It's like ordering a meal only to find the chef took a couple of bites out of it, but still expects you to eat it and pay for it. 

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2013, 11:02:11 PM »

Exactly.  Otherwise if it's not even worth paying full price for it.   It's like ordering a meal only to find the chef took a couple of bites out of it, but still expects you to eat it and pay for it.

Adding to that analogy, even finding just one strain of hair, that is not yours, on the plate of your meal could be deemed unacceptable and that either the consumer would demand to get the proper replacement or not pay at all or, in this case, get a refund.

As for the main story, that really sucks, Bootstrap, that you got to go through all of this trouble only to possibly receive your money back but have no dvd, or get a replacement of something that shouldn't have been damaged in the 1st place.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 11:07:49 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2013, 06:14:58 AM »

Absolutely!
If the shipping box is completely undamaged that means My Suck Direct intentionally put a beat up copy in the box and shipped. This company is deplorable. 130 dollars of hard earned money deserves much better than that!

Offline olliemedsy

« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2013, 06:22:28 AM »
On mine, the slot for the 3rd cd was too small and I couldn't get it out, so i had to "modify" it a tiny bit. Quite fucking annoying really. Should have sent sent it back haha

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2013, 07:42:01 AM »
Don't take this as a lack of sympathy for bootstrap, but things advertised as "collectors editions" rarely  gain or hold even hold value.

That said, it sucka you gotta go through this bootstrap. The above is no excuse to accept a damaged item.

Offline Bootstrap

« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2013, 11:04:58 AM »
 Another day sending my email to MyPlayDirect.

Now comes a new email option called "damaged item - packaging not damaged - damaged product." Maybe they're getting so many complaints about it they decided to put that option.

On twitter DirectPlay have started to appear several complaints from people who bought products from other artists and not received or received defective products.

But in the end everything remains the same: no response at all.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2013, 11:57:18 AM »
That new option is interesting.  If the packaging is not damaged but the item is, then they knowingly sent you a damaged item, which is bad enough.  But it's happened so many times that they made it its own option, which is just pathetic.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2013, 01:51:23 PM »
It only took a few damaged items for me to stop pre-ordering stuff from these indie record companies. Awhile ago, I bought the new Dear Hunter vinyl, and it came warped. Not only did the company not resolve my problem, but they also asked for a $4 "restocking fee" if I was going to return it. Pathetic.

These days, I just get things at retailers or on Amazon. Sometimes Amazon don't have special items that bands release through these other stores, but at least they're good for it, if your item arrives in poor condition.

Offline Bootstrap

« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2013, 02:23:20 PM »
 After 8 days is already clear that they are simply running away and never will answer anyone. It is evident that no serious company in the whole world needs all this time to answer an email.

Perhaps the company has gone bankrupt ... I really do not know.

The best I can do - before it's too late - is to call my credit card and recover my money and forget this horrible experience was buying with MyPlayDirect.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2013, 02:30:08 PM »

I doubt that. The whois info on their domain points back to a phone number for Sony.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2013, 02:37:52 PM »

I doubt that. The whois info on their domain points back to a phone number for Sony.
Give um time and it will be a reality. This company blows! 8 days with no response to my emails asking how to make a return. It fucking blows that you absolutely have no shot at talking to a live person.

To add insult to injury, when you take the customer service survey it asks if you service attendant was helpful in resolving your problem. Really? What service attendant!

Offline Bootstrap

« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2013, 08:56:39 PM »
 MyPlayDirect got to be kidding. I just received the following email:

Dear Dream Theater fan,

We wanted to make sure you've received your order and are 100% satisfied with your purchase.

Please take our short survey. It'll only take 2 minutes.

Click here for survey

Thank you for shopping at MyPlay Direct.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2013, 09:06:51 PM »
:lmao:

:loser:

:facepalm:

What a stupid company.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2013, 09:12:04 PM »

Dear Dream Theater fan,

We wanted to make sure you've received your order and are 100% satisfied with your purchase.

Click here for survey

:lol

:facepalm:

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2013, 05:14:19 AM »

Dear Dream Theater fan,

Click here for survey

:omg: :facepalm: :omg: :facepalm: :\ :yeahright

Offline Bootstrap

« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2013, 06:32:20 AM »
 Approximately 1 hours ago MyPlayDirect responded to a single message from one of the customers who are angry at twitter (@MyPlayDirectCS).  It was a quick response and nothing more ...they've gone again.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 06:45:19 AM by Bootstrap »

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2013, 08:55:47 AM »
This is my first time reading this thread.  I feel your frustration.  That's bull that there's no phone.  I took the address printed on your delivery box, which if my eyes are good said: "468 McNally Dr., Nashville, TN."  I plugged that address into google and a few different numbers came up.  I would try calling them and seeing if whoever answers can pass you along to someone helpful.  These are the numbers that came up for that address:

1) Provident Music Distribution - (615) 261-6325 or (615) 832-8988 or (615) 261-6500
2) Benson Music Group - (615) 742-6800
3) Alexandria House - (615) 831-0180
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Bootstrap

« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2013, 09:25:11 AM »
This is my first time reading this thread.  I feel your frustration.  That's bull that there's no phone.  I took the address printed on your delivery box, which if my eyes are good said: "468 McNally Dr., Nashville, TN."  I plugged that address into google and a few different numbers came up.  I would try calling them and seeing if whoever answers can pass you along to someone helpful.  These are the numbers that came up for that address:

1) Provident Music Distribution - (615) 261-6325 or (615) 832-8988 or (615) 261-6500

I really appreciate your help, Mebert78! I had the box in my hands all this time and I did not have this idea.

Does anyone who lives in the U.S. could please help us calling for any of these phones?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2013, 09:44:20 AM »

I really appreciate your help, Mebert78! I had the box in my hands all this time and I did not have this idea.

Does anyone who lives in the U.S. could please help us calling for any of these phones?

Try Skype. Very cheap international calling.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2013, 09:45:38 AM »
You might be able to call yourself.  I just found a 1-800 number for Provident Music Distribution under the Help section of their website.  It's 1-800-333-9000.

An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Bootstrap

« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2013, 10:07:10 AM »
 I'm working in another city this week, with an old crap cell phone and  bad internet connection ... I will not get to the phone call via skype.

But in any case I already sent an email to the thep.com.  Let's see.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2013, 11:53:39 AM »
Don't take this as a lack of sympathy for bootstrap, but things advertised as "collectors editions" rarely  gain or hold even hold value.

I think that's partially the basis for my above comment. I mean, yes, it's a "collector's edition" and thus should be pristine, and yes, also held to higher standards than a regular CD for example. That said, the comment I was reacting to is the "$130 out of the window" part. Let's presume for a second that myplaydirect continues to play dumb and Bootstrap never gets a replacement. He still has the LPs, USB sticks, CDs etc. That's at least $70 worth of stuff.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2013, 01:19:52 PM »
  The best I can do - before it's too late - is to call my credit card and recover my money and forget this horrible experience was buying with MyPlayDirect.
When looking into other complaints against these guys, I read from somebody who had a similar experience and disputed the charge with his CC company. They were happy to oblige, but MPD recharged his card almost immediately. I'm not suggesting not to dispute the charge, I still would. I am suggesting that you pay close attention to what happens afterward.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Bootstrap

« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2013, 01:26:00 PM »

I think that's partially the basis for my above comment. I mean, yes, it's a "collector's edition" and thus should be pristine, and yes, also held to higher standards than a regular CD for example. That said, the comment I was reacting to is the "$130 out of the window" part. Let's presume for a second that myplaydirect continues to play dumb and Bootstrap never gets a replacement. He still has the LPs, USB sticks, CDs etc. That's at least $70 worth of stuff.

I understand your thinking, but what I said was just a figure of speech.

But the key point is that, regardless of the value that the box still has it or not, I just can not use it because I'm keeping sealed since the day I got just to be able to make the replacement. So, until the day MyPlayDirect decides to take some action, I'm losing 100% of my product.