Author Topic: Howard Stern listening to Dream Theater  (Read 7494 times)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Howard Stern listening to Dream Theater
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2013, 12:37:17 AM »
"I can't see chicks digging these guys...."

*looks around*

Goddammit...

Offline Mladen

« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2013, 03:36:53 AM »
I've never been a fan of Howard Stern, but this cracked me up. ''Do these guys sing?''  :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2013, 03:37:33 AM »

*looks around*

Goddammit...

Is Howard Stern married ?

:omg: " In May 2013, Stern bought a beachfront home in Palm Beach, Florida, for $52 million. The home contains 12.5 bathrooms and five bedrooms with over 19,000 square feet of living space. "

Twelve AND A HALF bathrooms. Just in case Howard or his missus needs a wee in the night and the other 10 and a half bathrooms are occupied :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2013, 03:47:50 AM »
I thought it was hilarious.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2013, 03:52:51 AM »
They actually sound like Beavis and Butthead when they talk.  :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2013, 04:31:56 AM »

*looks around*

Goddammit...

Have you seen his second wife Kotoboy?  She is hot.

Is Howard Stern married ?

:omg: " In May 2013, Stern bought a beachfront home in Palm Beach, Florida, for $52 million. The home contains 12.5 bathrooms and five bedrooms with over 19,000 square feet of living space. "

Twelve AND A HALF bathrooms. Just in case Howard or his missus needs a wee in the night and the other 10 and a half bathrooms are occupied :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2013, 04:51:04 AM »
I have. She looks like your typical " Im not very attractive but i'm a millionaire and so obviously here is my trophy blonde bimbo wife ".

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2013, 04:51:38 AM »
Not sure where you live, but those chicks aren't really "typical."
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2013, 04:53:53 AM »
There is a LOT of butthurt in this thread. Really, what Howard Stern says about prog metal bothers you?

Yep. :lol
A negative opinion of DT from 20 years ago. Oh no! Attack!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2013, 04:56:37 AM »
I have. She looks like your typical " Im not very attractive but i'm a millionaire and so obviously here is my trophy blonde bimbo wife ".

You really need to find their back story on how they met and actually listen to Howard talk about how he ruined his first marriage.  He's not your typical millionaire.

Opinionated, yes, but he fought his way to become that millionaire.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2013, 06:13:34 AM »
I'm sorry, but that was fucking hysterical.

+1

Reminded me of that: https://www.cracked.com/funny-2359-progressive-rock/
That link was hilarious. Howard was meh. I was expecting him to mess up and mistake the keys in the 6:00 intro for guitar, but he didn't comment on it. With keyboards already being so scarce in the metal genre, I always hated when people ripped on them.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline gentaishinigami

« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2013, 06:26:35 AM »
That riff in the mirror has always seemed jarring and out of place to me too.  It gets too bright (for lack of a better word atm) and up-tempo for coming immediately after perhaps their heaviest DT riff ever.  The rest of the song lines up fine, but that section just... doesn't work to me.  I wouldn't introduce someone to DT with The Mirror for that reason.  90% of the time they are going to react like Howard and Robin.

*douses self in fire-retardant*

Offline Ruba

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2013, 06:39:14 AM »
Don't know why people in this thread are getting so upset. Many people who love Awake had similar first reactions to it. Heck, it's one of my favorite albums, not just of DT but from any band, but I had buyer's remorse when I first bought it, too.

Offline Flacracker

« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2013, 07:27:35 AM »
What is wrong with you guys? I am not offended at all and I thought it was pretty funny. Howard Stern is a shock jock and is will be critical of just about anything.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2013, 09:23:31 AM »
People are being overly sensitive about this. Howard rips on everyone at some point or another.  It's like being offended because South Park made fun of something. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2013, 09:37:41 AM »
And a lot of the DT poster here are saying, "Screw you guys, I'm going home." :lol

Offline angelusredgrove

« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2013, 09:38:47 AM »
I think there are too many people overreacting about people overreacting to the video

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2013, 09:43:49 AM »
I think there are too many people overreacting about people overreacting to the video

I think you're overreacting to the people overreacting at people's overreaction to the video.
EVERYBODY CALM DOWN!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline 425

« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2013, 09:50:23 AM »
What I'm not understanding is why there is such fervent criticism of those who are offended or who are making fun of Stern in retaliation (joking or otherwise). It seems that there is an attitude among some people that the worst thing possible is to be too devoted of a fan of something (obviously in this case DT) and they therefore go to great lengths to prove that they are not too devoted AND to criticize those who they think are.

I don't think there's anything wrong with only being a casual fan of DT, or a fan who likes some of their albums and not others, etc, but I also don't think there's anything wrong with being a very devoted fan who enjoys everything they've released. By extension, I don't think there's a PROBLEM with being somewhat offended when someone insults (and insults in a very uninformed and dismissive way) something that is of significant value to you (like DT to a DT superfan).

I'm on record in this thread saying I'm not offended by Stern's thing, and I wasn't lying then. My reaction was more "lolwtf what an idiot." But I can understand why someone would be offended and I wouldn't want them to feel like they had to pretend not to be in order to not get 10 direct responses saying "OMG Y U OFFENDED." This is a DT fansite; I don't think there should be such harsh criticism of people for what basically amounts to loving DT.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2013, 10:06:50 AM »

Yep. I am not really a Stern fan, but you gotta give him props for getting to where he is.  Hell, if just being opinionated was all it took, many of us on this forum would be millionaires! :lol :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2013, 10:07:52 AM »
Why should anyone who isn't a member of the band really be offended? It's not like he offended your family. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2013, 10:11:20 AM »
Why should anyone who isn't a member of the band really be offended? It's not like he offended your family.

Agreed.  Hell, if the easily-offended Mike Portnoy himself wasn't offended by it, then no one should be.  Seriously. 

Offline 425

« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2013, 10:29:16 AM »
I'm not talking about being seriously offended to the point of it seriously affecting your emotional state for anything more than a few minutes, but if someone really loves DT or KM, I don't think you should expect them to enjoy hearing "This really sucks... They should fire the organ player." And perhaps if they perceive it as an insult of their musical tastes, which isn't, like, a totally unreasonable interpretation, that could also offend them.

Honestly, Mike Portnoy being offended or not being offended by something should really have nothing to do with whether someone not named Mike Portnoy is or is not offended by the same thing.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2013, 11:14:40 AM »
This thread  :facepalm:

Stern is hilarious.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2013, 11:37:39 AM »
You guys realize what "Shtick" is right??

Apparently not lol

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2013, 11:47:29 AM »
I'm not talking about being seriously offended to the point of it seriously affecting your emotional state for anything more than a few minutes, but if someone really loves DT or KM, I don't think you should expect them to enjoy hearing "This really sucks... They should fire the organ player." And perhaps if they perceive it as an insult of their musical tastes, which isn't, like, a totally unreasonable interpretation, that could also offend them.

Honestly, Mike Portnoy being offended or not being offended by something should really have nothing to do with whether someone not named Mike Portnoy is or is not offended by the same thing.

:chill

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2013, 12:02:01 PM »
When in the mood I find Stearn still funny but this bit means nothing.  The talk show host that irritates me for not promoting DT is Jimmy Fallon, he seems to love all types of music and has a wide variety of "not so known" artists on his show.  Mastodon comes to mind.  RoadRunner where are you?????
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2013, 12:04:45 PM »
That is pretty funny.  No reason to take it seriously though.

This is very similar to what NOFX put as the secret track on one of their albums.  They had a clip from the Howard Stern show and someone puts on the song Drugs Are Good by NOFX for Howard to listen to and about 10 seconds in he turns it off and says it sucks and blah blah blah, but what was funny is that the intro to that song sounds nothing like NOFX or the rest of the song and he actualy may have been into the song if he just listened.  Clearly NOFX thought it was funny enough to put on their album.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2013, 12:34:36 PM »

Yep. I am not really a Stern fan, but you gotta give him props for getting to where he is.  Hell, if just being opinionated was all it took, many of us on this forum would be millionaires! :lol :lol

Kotowboy wouldn't have a need to keep lookig a job if that was true. :lol

Offline 425

« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2013, 01:07:26 PM »

:chill

I'm perfectly calm. As I've said, I don't really have any feelings at all about anything Howard Stern has ever said. I'm merely pointing out that it is not totally unreasonable to think that someone might and that this might be justified. The people who seem to not be calm are the people jumping all over this thread telling others that the way they feel is wrong. Maybe they have a point about how justified it is to feel anger or offense at cavalier insults of something that you love, but aside from one or two borderline cases, no one has presented one. All I've seen are people just flat-out making the claim that such a reaction is the wrong reaction.

Again, I don't have feelings about Howard Stern. I do have feelings about people putting down other people about the way they respond to insults of music that they love.

N.B.: I also do not think that Howard Stern or anyone should take into account people's reactions to his insults, I'm just defending the people who have reactions that I see as totally justified and expressing a wish that they not be criticized so harshly for those reactions on a website where one would expect reactions of that variety to be common and even welcome.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2013, 01:56:10 PM »
It seems that there is an attitude among some people that the worst thing possible is to be too devoted of a fan of something (obviously in this case DT) and they therefore go to great lengths to prove that they are not too devoted AND to criticize those who they think are.
I've seen these kinds of posts coming from a mile away. The attitude sort of reminds me of those loudwire polls, where people proudly announce that they voted against DT, like it somehow elevates them from the sleazy fanboys. But I digress, it's not really important, certainly not worthy to have an argument about, although there definitely is a type of elitism going on here, which I find mildly annoying sometimes. On the other hand, it's also one of the perks of this forum. Keeps it interesting.  :tup :tup to your posts.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 02:09:22 PM by Sycsa »

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2013, 05:13:10 AM »
Part of the DT fan experience is other people insulting/belittling/hating DT.  It's like the seasons, or the tide.  It will happen whether you accept it or not, so you might as well accept it and not waste the emotional energy being offended by it.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2013, 05:54:13 AM »
Part of the DT fan experience is other people insulting/belittling/hating DT.  It's like the seasons, or the tide.  It will happen whether you accept it or not, so you might as well accept it and not waste the emotional energy being offended by it.
And once again the hammer is introduced to the head of the nail.   :tup

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2013, 09:10:36 AM »
Exactly. Like people bashing Labrie the *instant* you mention DT.

There's no reason for it. It just happens.