Author Topic: To Pre Order Or Not To Pre Order v. Lesson learned  (Read 5035 times)

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
To Pre Order Or Not To Pre Order v. Lesson learned
« on: November 06, 2013, 08:52:14 AM »
So as soon as it became available I pre ordered Luna Park figuring why not.
Big mistake!
First off, I never generally pre order something I know will be available in Best Buy. Now I know why!
When I pre ordered it said I would receive between Nov. 5th and 7th.
I want it the day it hits stores but I figured whatever. As long as I have it by the 9th. That is when friends are coming over for a viewing party.
So I came home from work yesterday to no Blu Ray. I wasn't thrilled. I feel you should have some kind of perks to pre ordering something?
Quite the opposite! I just picked up a copy at Best Buy for 17.00 bucks with tax. I paid 25 with shipping from the DT store! Never again!
I would have waited a couple more days if I didn't get an email this morning saying it shipped and estimated delivery date was Nov.8th to Nov. 20th.
That's bullshit! It forced me to go out today and secure a copy or risk a house full of guests with no product to watch!
So lesson learned. Now I need to decide if its best to return the one I bought for 9 bucks less if the other arrives by Saturday, or figure out if I should return the one that arrives?
 :yeahright
At least my party is secure and I have the Blu Ray.
Fuck pre orders!
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Online dparrott

Re: To Pre Order Or Not To Pre Order v. Lesson learned
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 09:10:24 AM »
I hear ya.  I've read too many bad stories to scare me from pre-ordering, unless I can't get it in a local store.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 09:36:59 AM »
Yeah, I never preorder something if I know it's gonna be in stores.

Honestly, I don't get the craze to preorder anything, unless it's something stores don't normally carry. What is it people like about paying for things early?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 09:46:10 AM »

Honestly, I don't get the craze to preorder anything, unless it's something stores don't normally carry. What is it people like about paying for things early?

Typically, I only pre-order if there's incentive to do so, such as:
-Having the item(s) signed by one or more of the participants
-Including extra items that won't be available anywhere else
-Including bonus material on CD/DVD/BR that won't be available anywhere else
-Being included in the credits for the making of the album (often because payment was used to fund the process)
-As mentioned above, to help fund the creation/making of the album, where payment goes directly to the band and its management

These are usually reasons I pre-order, and 90% of the time, if there is a pre-order for a band or artist I love, I will do it, and that's mostly because a lot of the times, I DO get one or more of those incentives above.

As for LALP, I got the big Limited Deluxe Super Special Edition, which included the glass and keychain, as well as the poster with my name on it (well, despite it being misspelled, it's a cool poster to have!).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 09:48:26 AM »
I usually pre-order stuff since the nearest record store is an 8 mile bike ride up hill, and it's really hard to find places that carry the stuff I listen to (at least for metal).
And I usually get a package that comes with the album and a tshirt or something similar,  usually works out great for me, if I get an album a few days late it's no big deal, but usually I get it the day of or a day early.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 09:48:57 AM »
I only pre-ordered because of the price on Amazon before they raised their prices to 109 for the boxset. I got it for 65 I think so I can wait a few days if I'm saving 40 bucks.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 09:49:04 AM »
I hear ya.  I've read too many bad stories to scare me from pre-ordering, unless I can't get it in a local store.

Same here.  I never pre-order unless both of the following requirements are met:
1.  It does not matter to me whether I receive the album later than the release date. AND
2.  There is some incentive for pre-ordering.  For example, special packaging or some special offer available only through the band's website or only as a result of the pre-order, or a smaller band I want to support getting a bigger cut of the profit by ordering direct, or something along those lines.

Otherwise, pre-ordering is never an option I realistically consider.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 09:50:21 AM »

Yeah, and I paid more to wait longer. Stupid. Now I bought it twice and have to return one. Pain in the ass.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 09:50:34 AM »

Typically, I only pre-order if there's incentive to do so, such as:
-Having the item(s) signed by one or more of the participants
-Including extra items that won't be available anywhere else
-Including bonus material on CD/DVD/BR that won't be available anywhere else
-Being included in the credits for the making of the album (often because payment was used to fund the process)
-As mentioned above, to help fund the creation/making of the album, where payment goes directly to the band and its management

These are usually reasons I pre-order, and 90% of the time, if there is a pre-order for a band or artist I love, I will do it, and that's mostly because a lot of the times, I DO get one or more of those incentives above.

As for LALP, I got the big Limited Deluxe Super Special Edition, which included the glass and keychain, as well as the poster with my name on it (well, despite it being misspelled, it's a cool poster to have!).

-Marc.

And I also preorder for some of the reasons mentioned above

Offline WheyWaffles

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 02:20:31 PM »
I should have learned my lesson last time I pre-ordered something and got it two weeks late.  $20 for the Blu-ray + $5 for the worst form of shipping in the world (UPS mail innovations) and myplaydirect has only just now shipped it today.  This is especially moronic of me to have preordered it considering I have Amazon Prime and could have paid about half as much and had it today.  For some reason I expected the official store to send it Priority and ship it Monday to ensure I get it close to release.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 02:41:14 PM »
I should have learned my lesson last time I pre-ordered something and got it two weeks late.  $20 for the Blu-ray + $5 for the worst form of shipping in the world (UPS mail innovations) and myplaydirect has only just now shipped it today.  This is especially moronic of me to have preordered it considering I have Amazon Prime and could have paid about half as much and had it today.  For some reason I expected the official store to send it Priority and ship it Monday to ensure I get it close to release.
I feel your pain. This 100%
I went to Best Buy and bought a copy to make sure I have it for Saturday night! I could have just gone there in the first place, spent a hell of a lot less and been done!
Never again!

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2013, 06:29:04 AM »
So my tracking number says estimated delivery is the 12th! BULLSHIT!!!
Good thing I bought a copy for my party on the 9th!

Anyone know the process of retuning an item? It says I can return the unopened product for a full refund within 30 days. Not sure how that is done?

Offline WheyWaffles

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2013, 10:31:25 AM »
My tracking number isn't even showing up in the system yet.  I'll be returning my copy as well as I can get the Blu-ray cheaper from Amazon when stock returns even if I eat the cost of shipping.  Fuck myplaydirect.  It's a shame theirs were the first pre-order links to appear on the official site before they began linking Amazon instead.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2013, 12:59:11 PM »
I always say the same thing:  If you want it on release day, do not pre-order!

If you don't care when you get it, go for it.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2013, 01:29:28 PM »

Same here.  I never pre-order unless both of the following requirements are met:
1.  It does not matter to me whether I receive the album later than the release date. AND
2.  There is some incentive for pre-ordering.  For example, special packaging or some special offer available only through the band's website or only as a result of the pre-order, or a smaller band I want to support getting a bigger cut of the profit by ordering direct, or something along those lines.

Otherwise, pre-ordering is never an option I realistically consider.

Same. Except for DT12. I preordered a vinyl of that knowing that they'd give a digital download. I still get to listen to the album and the physical album will arrive when it does. Luckily for me, it showed up on the day of!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2013, 01:46:46 PM »
Daily DTF grump: If you lived in a country with no record stores whatsoever that ever sell any alternative music save Metallica, you'd be preordering from halfway across Europe as well.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2013, 01:53:37 PM »
I must say that the only time I suffered from a disappointment was when I ordered BCSL from the british amazon back in 2009. It was the first DT album I waited for, so I probably misjudged. That was the last DT album I preordered, but I may change my mind again after the great experience with the LALP pre-order. I placed my order on September 11th and got the DVDs one day after release date, on the far end of Europe, and saving about 15€. I call that a big success, I would do that again.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2013, 01:54:58 PM »
Daily DTF grump: If you lived in a country with no record stores whatsoever that ever sell any alternative music save Metallica, you'd be preordering from halfway across the world as well.
Fixed for teh nuggetz.

I feel kind of ashamed of myself... There have been copies of this DVD at a record store in my city since the release date, but I still haven't bought it :blush The reason for that is that I'm waiting for the Fates Warning CD I ordered to arrive so I can pick it up along with LALP and another release I'm gonna buy.

Offline WheyWaffles

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2013, 02:10:51 PM »

My problem is mostly the price difference.  I'm paying nearly double the Amazon price to get it very late.  I pre-ordered so I wouldn't have to think about it and the Blu-ray would just show up one day.  It's the premium that's leaving me feeling completely screwed over, and the fact that I preordered it from the place the band's official site first linked.

It's not that I'm getting it late.  It's that I paid double for the privilege of getting it late.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2013, 02:12:07 PM »

I bought the Blu Ray disc for 17 bucks with tax at Best Buy on Wednesday. I paid 25 bucks with shipping for the pre order and the tracking says they estimate my arrival as the 12th. A week past the release date is just a bad job as far as I'm concerned. Pay more in advance to get fucked. Sure, that's great! :tup

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2013, 02:13:39 PM »
and now I get to experience the fun of returning the fuckin thing! I'm sure that will go well too! :tup

Offline BFRedrocks

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2013, 02:17:39 PM »
I only pre-ordered because of the price on Amazon before they raised their prices to 109 for the boxset. I got it for 65 I think so I can wait a few days if I'm saving 40 bucks.

Same here, although I got my set on the 5th, so no issues and I saved about $30 (I think I paid about $75).

Offline WheyWaffles

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2013, 02:18:44 PM »
and now I get to experience the fun of returning the fuckin thing! I'm sure that will go well too! :tup

My tracking still isn't in the system.  Would you let me know how the return goes?  Like if they refund your shipping?  I'll be returning mine regardless on principle and because even if I have to eat the shipping I'll save money.  I've already requested my RMA in advance, but they haven't responded yet.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2013, 02:36:53 PM »

My tracking still isn't in the system.  Would you let me know how the return goes?  Like if they refund your shipping?  I'll be returning mine regardless on principle and because even if I have to eat the shipping I'll save money.  I've already requested my RMA in advance, but they haven't responded yet.
I will let you know. I now have 2 copies so this 25 dollar copy is going back! I'm figuring the shipping will be lost cause you will have to pay to ship it back. That would be my assumption?

Offline WheyWaffles

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2013, 02:39:11 PM »

I will let you know. I now have 2 copies so this 25 dollar copy is going back! I'm figuring the shipping will be lost cause you will have to pay to ship it back. That would be my assumption?

I've never ordered from them before, much less returned something, but given the ethics exhibited in overcharging us for late pre-orders, I imagine they'd make us pay the return shipping too.  I'm wondering if they'll credit you $20 or $25 upon receipt of the return.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2013, 02:46:19 PM »

I've never ordered from them before, much less returned something, but given the ethics exhibited in overcharging us for late pre-orders, I imagine they'd make us pay the return shipping too.  I'm wondering if they'll credit you $20 or $25 upon receipt of the return.
Who knows. I'll return it and take what they give me and be done with it. I have sent there shitty customer service two recent emails to which they have not responded.
Worst case scenario, I'll give my copy to my wife's younger cousin who would appreciate it very much.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2013, 03:15:25 PM »
I also find this interesting because I remember reading is in the FAQ section before placing my order...

question..."When I pre-order an item will I get it the same day it is available in stores?

answer...  Whenever feasible we aim to deliver your items on the day they are available in stores, provided you ordered early enough to allow for processing and delivery. Please refer to the delivery date estimates during the checkout process."

I ordered this on Oct. 11th! I guess that wasn't early enough? Once again...bullshit! When I ordered it said... expected delivery of Nov. 5 to Nov. 7th

The 12th is not acceptable for the money they charge! assuming it even comes that day!

also its great that you can't possibly speak to a live person in customer service but the survey asks you if the service attendant met or exceeded all my needs. WTF!!! I didn't deal with anyone!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 03:30:42 PM by Tick »

Offline WheyWaffles

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2013, 04:28:26 PM »
I also find this interesting because I remember reading is in the FAQ section before placing my order...

question..."When I pre-order an item will I get it the same day it is available in stores?

answer...  Whenever feasible we aim to deliver your items on the day they are available in stores, provided you ordered early enough to allow for processing and delivery. Please refer to the delivery date estimates during the checkout process."

I ordered this on Oct. 11th! I guess that wasn't early enough? Once again...bullshit! When I ordered it said... expected delivery of Nov. 5 to Nov. 7th

The 12th is not acceptable for the money they charge! assuming it even comes that day!

also its great that you can't possibly speak to a live person in customer service but the survey asks you if the service attendant met or exceeded all my needs. WTF!!! I didn't deal with anyone!

Yeah I saw that in the FAQ, too.  Had I known band management or the record label would associate with such a shady shithole of an operation, I would have viewed the weasel words "Whenever feasible" with a great deal of cynicism and just gone with Amazon from the beginning.

I also got hit by the customer service survey immediately.  I guess I was supposed to just keep the survey open in my browser until I actually got their response?  Not worth my screen space.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2013, 07:28:35 PM »

If it's coming from UPS or FedEx refuse the delivery. That'll get you out of the return shipping and the carrier will document that you never took possession of it. Tell whoever you bought it from to refund your charges, and if they balk, dispute the charge with your credit card company.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline WheyWaffles

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2013, 12:09:04 AM »
Based on the slowness and the estimates I think we both have it coming UPS Mail Innovations which is an awful service where UPS processes the package and and after a few days hands it over to USPS for the rest of the delivery. :/  My tracking is finally working: November 12, a fucking joke.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2013, 05:31:23 AM »

If it's coming from UPS or FedEx refuse the delivery. That'll get you out of the return shipping and the carrier will document that you never took possession of it. Tell whoever you bought it from to refund your charges, and if they balk, dispute the charge with your credit card company.
Thanks for the advise! :tup

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2013, 08:31:01 AM »

Well, looks like it probably won't work. If Waffles dude is correct about it being UPS-MI, then it's likely that they won't let you return it at all. Furthermore, Amazon seems to protect the shipper in these sorts of cases, so when they refund your money for the product, they will deduct shipping both ways; kind of a screw job, frankly. If that's the case, you might as well just return one of them to Best Buy and consider the $6 the cost of a lesson learned.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2013, 08:59:35 AM »

Well, looks like it probably won't work. If Waffles dude is correct about it being UPS-MI, then it's likely that they won't let you return it at all. Furthermore, Amazon seems to protect the shipper in these sorts of cases, so when they refund your money for the product, they will deduct shipping both ways; kind of a screw job, frankly. If that's the case, you might as well just return one of them to Best Buy and consider the $6 the cost of a lesson learned.
Well the reason I even bought the Best Buy copy was cause I have a viewing party Saturday night. It was my safeguard to ensure I had a copy. So if the other copy does not arrive by Saturday which it probably won't the Best Buy copy will be opened.
In the end, I am left to either return the one from the mail or give it away for a present and call it a day.
I work too hard all week to fuck up my weekend plans. So I take a loss if that is what has to happen. The extra 17 bucks I spent is worth it to have my party go as planned.
That company sucks donkey dick.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2013, 11:55:42 AM »
If it's the same version, why not just return the mail ordered copy to Best Buy? They wouldn't know, and from an ethical standpoint I'm not even sure why they would care.
E.F. Benson

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2013, 12:49:22 PM »
If it's the same version, why not just return the mail ordered copy to Best Buy? They wouldn't know, and from an ethical standpoint I'm not even sure why they would care.
You are a wise man, Barto! :tup