Author Topic: Rod's DT top 50 - pre DT!  (Read 3435 times)

Offline Rodni Demental

Rod's DT top 50 - pre DT!
« on: October 29, 2013, 04:18:03 AM »
Hey everybody. For whoever is interested, I have a fair bit say about my DT experiences and have enjoyed making this list. This is the second rendition that I almost wasn't going to do because my opinions change far too often and tomorrow my top 10 will probably change again and different songs might just make it back on the list as that seems to be the nature of DT music, so before everything changes again, I'll start off with the songs that got pushed off the list as I realised other songs needed to make it:

- Under a Glass Moon (It really kills me that this got pushed off, love the first verse riffage the overall mood of the song, so close)
- Peruvian Skies (absolutely love the Riff at the bridge and the preceeding guitar solo, epic. But the rest of the song drags it down just a little. I actually really like the E piano sounds in the versus too, very unique)
- This Dying Soul (Very cool song with nice reprises from The Glass Prison but doesn't quite feel as powerful as it's predesecor)
- Raise the Knife (A song that didn't interest me but has recently grown on me, it's got some catchy bits and the guitar solos and bridge sections were fun to watch on Score but I don't think they were enough to make the list)
- A Fortune in Lies (Poor When Dream and Day Unite.. I actually really do appreciate it and enjoy it on a lot of levels, but it doesn't have the same addiction that later songs have)
- To Live Forever (really like the delay guitar effects and the mood of the song but honestly it's kind of a new one for me and I probably haven't full appreciated it yet)
- Disappear (great atmospheric song, I think it's almost brought a tear to my eye, but just because you can almost make me cry DT doesn't make this song make the list :P)
- Just Let me Breathe (absolute love that one verse that kicks in with the heavy riff ((you know what I'm talking about)). Again though, 1 bit of a song that's awesome isn't enough to beat some of the others)

Now, I've decided not to include DT12, as I'd probably end up loosing another 6 or 7 places on the list to new songs which is are difficult enough to decide upon as it is.  :huh: SO, Here is the List.  :corn

#50: Burning my Soul - This one is very lucky to make the list but it's somewhat of a guilty pleasure that had to, and there's a certain energy to it that I like. I also think Hell's Kitchen would fit most well in the middle of this song as shown in the '96 version and is a beautiful little piece that actually can stand up on it's own, so it's obvious why they were able to extract it from this song, but it also practically rips the soul outta this song (Oh God, no pun intended) when it's not there.

#49: Another Hand/The Killing Hand - The Epic of the first album, I think it's fairly often considered to be one of the more coherent and accesable tracks off of the first album. I think the composition and storytelling is excellent, and although I very much like the Metallica-esque intro in the original, I think the 'Another Hand' intro has a much more powerful build up and a smoother transition into the song. Also, early 90s James destroys on this song. Very powerful Vocals.

#48: Never Enough - Yeah, this one is kind of lucky to be on the list but I actually quite like the shout out to Muse's style, and the opening Riff is all badass, and the almost jazzy chorus is quite unique. Also, the guitar solo is totally all Muse and I like that John pays tribute to so many different styles.

#47: Blind Faith - A few months ago this one wasn't even on the list, and that was before I realised how absolutely mind blowing the organ solo is (I love that old school organ rock sound that we heard a lot of with Derek's time in the band), and then I discovered what I was hearing on the guitar solo which I thought was weird at first, is actually a very impressive technique to play. Then the rest of the song grew on me. I like the almost 'experiemental' nature of the Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence tracks.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 02:19:07 AM by Rodni Demental »

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
Re: Rod's DT top 50 - pre DT!
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 07:10:53 AM »
Blind faith should always be higher.

I will follow this list carefully.
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 09:24:23 AM »
All those were higher on my list. Well, Burning My Soul by two spots, but anyway.

So, a great start.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 11:41:14 AM »
Two of these are songs I used to despise and now rate average-low, one of these is a song I've always liked but never strongly liked, and the last is a song which I should like more than I do. I'll leave it up to you to decide which is which though.
Practically every song you listed that got cut I'd probably rate higher than any of these. Blah :V

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 11:49:31 AM »
Never Enough...   :\   

:lol Sorry, that is one of my least favorite songs by them. 

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 11:57:03 AM »
Burning My Soul and Never Enough make the list but Peruvian Skies and UAGM don't. I don't even... wat  :justjen

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 02:36:21 PM »
Never Enough...   :\   

:lol Sorry, that is one of my least favorite songs by them.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 07:58:17 PM »
Haha... Yeah it wasn't easy pushing off Under a Glass Moon, but if I have at least some memory where I enjoyed a certain song a bit more, I have to remember why I appreciated a particular song in the first place and even though I might not always listen to the above songs (save for Blind Faith which I've been really getting into lately), they stood out to me when I was first discovering DT.

I think Under A Glass Moon is probably still growing on me actually. Honestly I'm a fairly late DT fan. Even though I started hearing them around about 2005 over 2008 but it wasn't til 2009 with the release of Black Clouds where I actually started intently listening. I got what was the new album at the time, and started working my way back, so modern DT stood out to me first because it's just where I started. But the older stuff is fantastic aswell, surprisingly took me longer to appreciate a lot of early stuff, even most of Images and Words took a fair while to click with me.

Also just to defend Never Enough.. I had listened to a fair bit of Muse well before I discovered Dream Theater so I enjoyed the throwbacks to different styles. :P

Andway, let us continue:

#46: Prophets of War - Another guilty peasure that sort of had to make the list just because of the impact it had on me when I first heard the MP Spoken section. I feel that section is really powerful and the message of sort of taking responsibility really resonated with me. Jordan has some pretty cool synth effects in this song too, and JPs guitar work is fairly unique for him, it's a fairly simple structured song but it's effective.

#45: Forsaken - Yeah, We're seriously getting all the guilty pleasures out of the way now.. :lol I like the piano intro a lot, especially the non simple time signiture. A lot of weird time signatures in prog you have to work to appreciate because you can't really follow it until you get it. But this one's easy to digest and keeps the beat interesting with the bass notes accentuating the timing nicely. Also, that guitar riff! Those pinch harmonics. Brilliant Riff. Honestly, I like the instrumentation more than the song itself, but I think it's strong enough to take it's place on this list.

#44: In The Presence Of Enemies pt 1 - Looks like we're taking out a good chunk of Systematic Chaos aswell here. I'll tell you now, part 2 isn't on this list. And The reason I haven't put the whole song in this slot, is because well, I like the first part better.. There are some strong sections in the whole song but I always felt it dragged out a bit and it's probably the epic that doesn't really need to quite be an 'epic'. Could have been flushed out as a more digestible song. Don't get me wrong, I still wouldn't want to change it, just feel it was a bit over the top, but hey that's probably what they were going for. XD I think the intro is all meaning of the word epic and part 1 carries all of that momentum until it just brick walls as part 2 begins.

#43: The Answer Lies Within - This one actually stood out to me since I first heard it. It's one of those simple but effective songs (and simple is only a relative term because it's DT). I'm a sucker for strings and orchestra sounds in rock/metal. So Score is just mind blowing for me and that version of the song really captures the feel of this one. It's one of those songs I'd have to be in the mood for, but I think it deserves this place because it's a very uplifting piece.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 04:46:14 AM »
Three great songs from SC and one very underrated track.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 08:42:04 AM »
Muse was my no. 1 favourite band before DT. That still doesn't change the fact that imho Never Enough is one of the worst songs they've done. Not even the great unison could save it.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 08:57:39 PM »
#42: Misunderstood - This song has great production. The ambience and sound effects are very effective, in fact, I think Jordan's choice of sound is some of his best on the Six Degrees album. I always considered this album somewhat experimental, and this song is a very good example of that. It's got a fairly unconventional structure but still is a fairly easy to appreciate song. I enjoy the metaphorical and very symbolic lyrics, and well, the guitar solo is probably the hardest thing to appreciate, and yet it's the most impressive part about the song when you consider how it was written and recorded. It fascinates me how JP would recreate this solo live.. I assume he plays it as it would sound with effects that make it sound backwards, unlike the actual backwards reversal we have in the studio version? Curious.

#41: Finally Free - This song stood out to me before I gained full appreciation for Scenes From a Memory. I like the non-traditional structure, the piano intro is very effective for setting up the mood of the piece. The song has a couple of different 'mood changes' reflected from the character changes in the lyrics and story. I think everyone agrees that the middle part of the some if all of epic and frightening at the same time. It's a great album closer, and represents a very effective 'twist' in the story. To top it off, that outro always gets me amped. The repeating riff that builds on itself with extra harmonies being layered as it progresses all while the drum fills just start getting crazier. It the chord progressions reminds me a lot of 'She's so Heavy' by The Beatles. It definitely seems like they were going for that extra extended ending that doesn't know when it's going to finish. It actually gave me a new way to appreciate that sort of technique because I remember getting bored with other song's that do this, now I think it's a very effective way to close off a piece.

#40: 6DOIT Part III/IV, War Inside My Head/The Test That Stumped Them All
- I'm kinda cheating the list here, but these two pieces are practically married together and would feel very incomplete as individual pieces. But in the whole Six Degrees suite, I have to admit these bits stood out to me first (that and Overture). The rest of the song I think takes a little bit more listening to appreciate, but these ones just slap you one in the face. They're just full of energy and James' voice is very powerful, espcially when he first shouts "War inside my head".  :metal Also, I could be very wrong but I swear in some of the Audio of the 2012 shows I heard triggered samples of Portnoy's backing tracks. Either that or it really was John and he did a very good job sounding like Mike in this song.  :lol

#39: As* I Am - I really enjoy all the little tidbits, hidden passages and 'easer eggs' relating to DT music, and the meta-album cycle was a pretty fun idea. After the string fade out on the end of the Six Degrees song, it just starts fading back in (maybe even in reverse a little bit?), increases intensity and then just snaps as the bass kicks in. JM has a great bass tone in this song, although it comes out in the live mixes more strongly than the studio version imo. To me, most of Train of Thought are 'slap in the face' songs. Very effective and 'heavy' songs that build momentum and can just keep it flowing non stop, sometimes straight into the next song. I think Train of Thought has great flow it in terms of the ups and downs in the energy levels you feel from it. The song has killer feedback control by JP, and the guitar riff that kicks in after the bass intro is one of my favourite catchy chug lines by JP. I like that riff alone more than the Chorus even. Finally, the guitar Solo was one of JPs most atonal and chromatic patterns at the time, considering the speed, it's quite an impressive one to watch him play live. Totally full on Metal Solo.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 09:06:48 PM by Rodni Demental »

Offline Ruba

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 03:52:28 AM »
#40: Am I Am

Never heard of that one.

Misunderstood and Finally Free are amazing. I consider SDOIT as a one song, but those two are among my favourite sections.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 06:48:39 AM »
I like that riff alone more than the Chorus even

The chorus is the weakest part of As I Am imo.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 08:57:04 AM »
Misunderstood and Finally Free are both fantastic, those are both among the better sections of 6DOIT, and As I Am is always a song that's been just there for me, though the main riff is pretty awesome admittedly.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2013, 09:04:52 PM »
Sorry for the delay guy's, I'll keep this thing rolling. EDIT: Just fixed up the numbering because apparently I can't count very well.   XD

#38: The Great Debate - The reason this song is on the list, being a keyboard guy, I just love the somewhat 'ambient' keyboard sounds that JR uses here, it sounds like he's adjusting the resonance of the notes in time with those arpeggio chord patterns to create some very quick sounding microtones, at least that's how I've kinda been able to recreate slightly similar effects to what I hear in this song.. Whatever it is that he's doing it's impressive. Enjoying those sounds, is naturally what got me listening to the song more and now it's completely grown on me. Great catchy Chorus, great riff during the versus. It actually has all the features that make a really badass almost heavy song that you'd be likely to find on train of throught, but I almost feel that particular style of the song is disguised behind the production. I never really liked the song being squashed in from both sides by all of those samples, but I accept they have their place in the song and can be quite effective in setting the song's mood.

#37: Pull Me Under - Ah, the classic. Well it is for most. I think it was technically the second DT song I heard. The first song happens to have stood out to me so much that we won't be seeing it 'til the top 5. Anyway, I don't feel there's much to say about this one. It's a standout song, most of us have heard it so much that you'd think we'd get burnt out on it but I can always find myself headbangin' to this one. The pre-verse rhythm playoff (just after the main guitar riff) between the keys/snare drum and bass/guitar riff is very fun to listen to. I always liked the outro aswell, no not the abrupt ending, I find that fairly jarring which is probably as symbolic as is intended. But the sort sort of uneasy feeling from the sound where it seems to be stumbling and catching up on itself? I don't know if that makes sense, but there are some more songs that I feel have this timing effect so hopefully I can describe it better next time.

#36: Learning to Live - More Images & Words appreciation. The first thing that stands out to me about this song is the bass line during the verse. Also, the first verse in itself is very memorable. As much as I enjoy music like DT because they change things up all the time, it's normally quite exciting when the second verse changes. But Sometimes you wish DT would keep a good verse when they have it! Anyway, this song was another slow grower. I completely under appreciated it when I first listened to Images & Words but it's one of those songs where I keep hearing new things to enjoy. I'll also say that my appreciation for this song accelerated when I got into Breaking all Illusions and realised that BAI is essentially somewhat of a 'spiritual sequel' to this song. It made me pay attention to parts of this song that I otherwise wouldn't have noticed and allowed me to have much more reference to certain parts of the song because I was actually analysing the structure. The similarities are really curious.

#35: Metropolis pt 1. The Miracle and the Sleeper - I didn't realise what I'd done until I actually went to write these descriptions, but dw, I swear I'm not trying to wipe out images and words here! Another song that took a while to grow on me. There was a time where it wouldn't have even made the list..  :o But now it actually almost has an emotional effect on me, especially the final section after the instrumental break (third and last dance). It's amazing how they built huge portions of Scenes from a Memory mostly out of the motifs, melodies and progressions from this 1 song. It's just so well self contained despite the somewhat erratic time changes. 7:09 is great example of my description of a song tripping up within itself but keeping it going. At 7:16 it feels like the song is barely keeping up with itself, which feels very 'turbulent' and that there's some tension to be released which totally happens by the end of the piece. One of the most epic endings to a DT song although they have a fair few of those to be honest..

Offline Ruba

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2013, 02:56:06 AM »
All of these are at least 20 spots too low.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2013, 10:10:27 AM »
All of these are at least 20 spots too low.

+1

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2013, 10:12:02 AM »
All except PMU belong at LEAST in the Top 20.  Just my opinion. 

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2013, 10:23:56 AM »
Three of these songs would make my top50. Top20, I'm not that sure.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2013, 01:00:13 AM »
#34: Build Me Up Break Me Down - Perhaps this one should go into that category of 'guilty pleasures' if it snuck it's way this far up the list. I suppose it's just a stand out piece in that it's fairly non stop and stays fairly grounded. I think the Guitar Solo is absolutely incredible but far too short! The Chorus is very catchy although it's one of those song's that might grow tiresome if you overlisten to it. There's some very nice string and keyboard arrangements by JR hidden underneath this piece and there's the obvious coda at the end which is a good example of JRs lovely ambient work found on A Dramatic Turn Of Events Album.

#33: Lifting Shadows Off A Dream - Well, this is one of the stand out pieces towards the end of Awake that balances the Dynamics of the Album. Some of the longer/alternative intros for this song with Derek were great in the late 90s when this song was played more often. It's got some excellent melodies and is a good example of a song that builds itself up. The second verse has got a much more of a punch to it, and by the time we're into the following Chorus's the Vocals have become a lot harsher in contrast to the softer sound in the beginning. Also, I have to mention JPs Delay effects are awesome and amazingly well controlled in this song, definitely makes it memorable live.

#32: Repentance - In the context of the 12Step Suite this piece is essential, but it also stands up fairly well on it's own. Although it's definitely a very atmospheric piece if you wanted to argue that it's not the most complex work written by DT. That being said, it reflects and responds to some melodies from This Dying Soul and I wouldn't be surprised if there were some other references to the other songs in there. The highlight of this song, and although some may consider that it has a lengthy build up, it's worth it, because towards the end we have one of JPs best marillion minor mellow guitar solos followed by some amazing harmonised vocals between John and Mike during the outro. They sound great in the studio version, hilarious in the making of studio version, but unfortunately it was disappointing that they don't do it at all in the live version and we just hear JP playing Chords that mimic the notes..  :lol

#31: A Nightmare To Remember - The black cloud of BC&SL.. I don't mean for that to be a terrible pun, I actually just thought the thunderstorm sounds we hear at the beginning of this song are quite symbolic of the album's progression. It's quite a mini epic of sorts that showcases many elements of DTs music styles. It starts off very atmospheric, then get's fairly heavy, the beautiful agony section is an absolute stand out moment that I'll always remember when I was getting into DT and this album. The classic JP/JR duel is showcased next and they just blast through mindblowing after mindblowing solos. The reprise breakdown of the earlier riffs that are now timed in a much more chaotic way are fun to listen to. Oh, I suppose I better give mention to that unmentionalble section found somehwere in this song...  :yeahright Still this song has always been memorable enough to me deserve this place on the list.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Rod's DT top 50 - pre DT! (31!)
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2013, 06:37:53 AM »
can't support having BMUBMD on a top 50 list but the others are pretty good, don't know if ANTR would be that high up for me though but it's one of the better songs on BC&SL.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2013, 07:44:54 AM »
I consider Build Me Up, Break Me Down to be quite underrated. It's a fun song imo. I still think there are songs that could take its place and ANTR's place in the top 50.

Lifting Shadows Off A Dream is amazing and so id Repentance.  :tup

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2013, 08:28:45 AM »
can't support having BMUBMD on a top 50 list but the others are pretty good, don't know if ANTR would be that high up for me though but it's one of the better songs on BC&SL.

I agree with your sentiments regarding BMUBMD.  Good song but not Top 50 worthy for me.  ANTR is probably a bit high for me too.  Great song and great opening to the CD however.

I definitely wouldn't put Repentance higher than LSOAD, either.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2013, 08:52:45 AM »
I don't like this update.  :sad: Only one of these songs would make my top 50, and BMUBMD would make my top 10 worst DT songs. But this is your list, so you decide! I, on the other hand, am looking forward to the next bunch of tunes.   :)
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2013, 02:18:27 AM »
I'll update this much more regularly, sorry guys...  :biggrin:

#30: Lost Not Forgotten - Nice piano intro which is going to an ongoing motif for the song, turns into a guitar progression that is awefully familiar to a certain song, Under a Glass Moon. Which this song seems to structure it's arrangements based on that song's blueprint which is a cool reference imo. Then the jawdropping 'tickle' section.. There have been a few times I've just been intently listening to this section and it completely blew my mind... Then a simple yet completely badass riff with a powerful verse that leads into a strong chorus aswell. The second verse it completely different from the first, which is one of the many reasons I love DT. Pretty much this song is just a very full on song that feels like it's full of energy and stands out on you first listen of ADTOE for sure.

#29: 6:00 - This song took a while to grow on me but now it's a favourite off of Awake. It's got quite a groove to it and it's got a standout vocal performance in the chorus'. It's got a a very impressive keyboard/organ solo by Kevin Moore, it's very old school rockin' but with some speed much like some of Derek's solos. We don't hear many solos like this as much as JR uses a very large variety in keyboard sounds. Great to see this song come back on Live at Luna Park. Great song, I just wish Aunt Kate would shut the hell up already...

#28: Caught in a Web - The 7 string Monster. Great riffing from JP here and another great vocal performance from James with some awesome melodies aswell. The keys have some great moments in this song although I always thought the tone was a little off, or possibly undermixed. I actually liked some of the Alice's 9" Tool Garden variations as well as the New Millennium mix mashs. It's too bad we don't have easily available live versions of those more experimental arrangements that are of decent quality.

#27: Endless Sacrifice - This is the ultimate schizophernic soft/heavy song. It's sort of got that Metallica, One feel to it with the change of pace and soloing. The keyboard lead in the beginning is a very stand out tone that JR would start using a lot more in the future. The versus melodically and even lyrically build up a chorus that is a highlight of ToT. The guitar riff while simple, is completely badass and effective and the pinch harmonic squeels are the icing on the cake. Then there's the bridge that completely cranks up the tempo with awesome riff after amazing riffs and solos until we reach the final Chorus which is a bit different from the others. Also, gotta Love those little piano ragtime moments from Jordan.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 02:24:34 AM by Rodni Demental »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2013, 07:10:04 AM »
LNF is too big of a ripoff of UAGM for me to properly enjoy it, the rest of these picks are pretty awesome though.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2013, 09:53:48 AM »
Lost Not Forgotten is a really weak song imo. Drags on for far too long and doesn't have any memorable parts.

Caught In A Web is epic and deserves a higher spot imo, so does Endless Sacrifice  :metal

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2013, 02:35:45 PM »

I hope so...we're almost at the one month mark.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2013, 04:52:09 PM »
Lost Not Forgotten is a really weak song imo. Drags on for far too long and doesn't have any memorable parts.

Caught In A Web is epic and deserves a higher spot imo, so does Endless Sacrifice  :metal

Haha, funny that you mention that. Endless Sacrifice used to be much higher for me actually but it hasn't managed to hold my attention as long as some other pieces. That could be because it's one of the songs I've HEAVILY overlistened to though.  :xbones

LNF is too big of a ripoff of UAGM for me to properly enjoy it, the rest of these picks are pretty awesome though.

Hmm, I suppose it depends on your perspective. I don't so much consider it as a 'ripoff' as a musical sequel of sorts. I mean, the progressions and melodies are actually completely different, it's just got the feel and structure of an old song which I think is a neat reference as opposed to a cheap ripoff.

I hope so...we're almost at the one month mark.

I won't make excuses because it'll be the same one's everyone has made before.  :lol
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 09:17:44 PM by Rodni Demental »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2013, 05:05:22 PM »
The progressions are actually almost identical all the way through, the only thing that they changed was the melodies. Save for two sections of the song, every bit of LNF is mimicking part of UAGM, poorly.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2013, 05:19:07 PM »
I suppose you could argue a lot of things in music to be similar because it becomes more about the expression of sound rather than which notes you're playing, as any or every combination of notes could theoretically have been used before in something, especially the nature of 'metal riffs' and their use of tri tones and diminished 2nd semitones, I mean the riff is supposed to have a similar vibe to UAGM without being exactly the same, so of course it's similar. I still don't think 'rip-off' is a fair way to describe it though :P

Anyway, admittedly the songs get much harder to rank around here, and many of these songs are starting to be considered equal with each other until we get nearer to the top.

#26: Surrounded - I like the bass groove of this piece. It has a nice flow to it. Despite the change of pace after the intro throwing me off on the first listens, I grew some appreciation for the way the tempo is structured once I got used to the song. Beautifully poetic lyrics by Kevin Moore. The delay effect on the guitar solo is very fun, and it's always been interesting to hear the different way's it's been played live over the years. From the early 90s where John tried to play some of the repeats in delays which gave a different feel because the live rig wasn't set up with the correct time delay, to the crazy shedding to make us not notice the lack of delay. The recent Luna Park performance of this song was top notch and the solo was as close to the studio as I've ever heard live. As was most of the song, which is nice that they're going back to basics but I always appreciate alternate arrangements of songs, and I hope it's the not end of things like Surrounded '07.

#25: Panic Attack - Funnily enough this song as been dropping down the list, there might have been a time it was in my top 10.  :o But it still holds a place for being one of DTs few full on energetic songs from the get go that never stops to catch it's breath and rides the momentum it creates right from the intro with that rockin' bass line. James has an amazing vocal performance on this song which really shows his diversity as a singer, even if the more 'Musey style' isn't your cup of tea. This song is memorable for me because it was the.. 4th or maybe 5th DT song I heard/could actually recognise what it was by ear when I was still getting into the band. It's good to see a song like this every once in a while. It's among a couple of tracks that I feel would be a great introduction for a new fan to the band. Although like most 'full on' songs, it may wear on you if you over listen.   :rollin

#24: The Glass Prison - Another piece that took a fair while to grow on me, even though it practically slaps you one in the face from the get go. It still didn't stand out to me, I'm not even kidding but I think I had too much treble on my sound system and this song is low, chunky, heavy and thick with bassy tones on the guitar. My real appreciation for this song came from paying attention to the riffage. The main problem I have which may very well be why this song took so long to grow on me, the best parts kick in after a few Chorus' towards the 10 minute mark. Then at 11:11 probably one of my favourite JP Riffs. The flanger like effects may very well be part of what gives it that heavy badass sound, and I get really excited when this Riff gets reprised during other sections of the 12SS. I always felt the outro could never carry the awesome energy that was created after those guitar riffs but at least you can transition into This Dying Soul to maintain the flow.  :metal

#23: Octavarium - Let me just say, this one took a long time to grow on me and until probably some time last year, it wouldn't have been in my top 50. But in fairness, it takes some time to even appreciate or comprehend what you're really listening to because now, truly I think this song is a masterpiece for it's structure, arrangement, references, dynamic variation and musicality. Even if at first it seems a bit over bloated with content, it's definitely a well crafted and heavily thought out piece. Love the the almost  Pink Floyd vibe at the start. I love all of Dream Theater's PF reference and covers actually. I love the organ work in the Full Circle section, the tone is light and not too over the top, but very fitting for the rhythm and mood of the song at this point. Interesting and somewhat confusing lyrics that give all kinds of crazy imagery and ideas (especially the full circle section). Intervals is a reference to the key shifts and themes behind the entire Octavarium album which is a very cool touch before the epic finale Razor's Edge. This part always reminded me of the way they ended Six Segrees with Loosing Time and DT are known for being able to end their epics with a bang. It's also worth mentioning that on Score, James' scream at the 'trapped within this Oc-ta-va-ri-UUUUMM..!' section is chill inducing and I remember being surrised going back to the studio version to find that it's not there? Whadup with that? they needed to think of that one sooner!  :justjen
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 05:30:19 PM by Rodni Demental »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2013, 05:22:35 PM »
All great picks  :tup
I disagree that the last minute of TGP kills the energy though. The start of the instrumental section to the end of the song is the best part of the song, the energy doesn't die there for a second and it's just glorious.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2013, 07:37:02 AM »
With Surrounded and Octavarium so low and TGP so high, I'm really starting to dislike your list.  :rollin

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2013, 09:24:45 AM »
Alright. You started this over a month ago, and just passed the halfway point. I'm going to let someone else go. If you want to post the rest of your songs as a list, feel free. Otherwise, you can get put back on the list, and next time you can be a little better prepared.