Author Topic: "Dream Theater" - The 5.1 DVD-AUDIO MIX  (Read 16796 times)

Offline Sycsa

Re: "Dream Theater" - The MIX, MUSIC and REDEMPTION
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2013, 12:37:33 AM »
We're usually much nicer people. :biggrin:
??? The only people who are not being nice in this topic are the OP, Elite and you or me.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2013, 07:14:55 AM »

:icy:

:neverusethis:
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2013, 07:44:32 AM »
No one else cares who did the 5.1 mix?

I've been curious since they announced the 5.1 mix. They obviously didn't get it right last time, so I wanted to see if they'd be putting more work into it this time around.

They never announced who was responsible for the 5.1, but since it was just a dollar or so more than the regular edition, I bought the deluxe addition anyway.

The 5.1 is not very good, IMO. Everything sounds more spaced out, but instruments are still really cluttered and indistinct. It doesn't sound right. Others here have speculated that it was a computerized mix-up to 5.1 channels. It sounds like it.

However, I should add that listening to the 5.1 in stereo was a great experience. Similar to HD Tracks, I'd imagine. Way better than the normal CD, and probably the best way to experience DT12. So I don't regret spending the extra money on the delux edition at all.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2013, 07:47:32 AM »

I've been curious since they announced the 5.1 mix. They obviously didn't get it right last time, so I wanted to see if they'd be putting more work into it this time around.

They never announced who was responsible for the 5.1, but since it was just a dollar or so more than the regular edition, I bought the deluxe addition anyway.

The 5.1 is not very good, IMO. Everything sounds more spaced out, but instruments are still really cluttered and indistinct. It doesn't sound right. Others here have speculated that it was a computerized mix-up to 5.1 channels. It sounds like it.

However, I should add that listening to the 5.1 in stereo was a great experience. Similar to HD Tracks, I'd imagine. Way better than the normal CD, and probably the best way to experience DT12. So I don't regret spending the extra money on the delux edition at all.

Apparently the 5.1 mixed down to stereo is more dynamic than the CD, but not as dynamic as the HDTracks, and I think some people have also said the compression on the 5.1 version sounds weird when mixed down to stereo. Haven't heard it myself though.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2013, 07:57:03 AM »
I don't think it sounds weird at all. I wasn't listening closely, though. Just had it on while doing chores and thought it sounded great.

Also, I didn't mix down anything on my own. I just put the 5.1 DVD into my player and changed the sound settings to "stereo".

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2013, 07:58:13 AM »
Just what I remember hearing from one or two people, but that might be to do with how it was mixed down. As I said, I haven't heard it myself, so I can't judge it.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2013, 08:15:39 AM »
I’m a fan, okay? Just like YOU. No better, no worse.

My ego says this cannot be true.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2013, 08:58:15 AM »
We're usually much nicer people. :biggrin:
??? The only people who are not being nice in this topic are the OP, Elite and you or me.

Oh boy, here we go :corn
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2013, 11:06:04 AM »
Okay, let's keep this on topic rather than derailing the thread by posting about how somebody posts rather than about the topic at hand.  You all know the drill.  If a post crosses the line, report it and let the mods handle it.  By everyone else acting like Jr. Mods, it just gets the entire thread off topic.  That being said, this post puts it very well:

Brian, some friendly advice;

You're not exactly making a good first impression. If you didn't want people to talk about ADToE, criticizing it in the OP probably wasn't a good idea. You're definitely allowed to not like it and to criticize it, but mentioning it is definitely going to lead to reactions from people who like it.

Insulting people and being so critical of the way people conduct themselves here just because they're not doing things the way you want them to, especially when you're new here, is incredibly off putting. It's not going to lead to anything productive.

You obviously have some strong opinions and a lot of enthusiasm for Dream Theater's music, and could certainly be a welcome member of this community. To that end, I would definitely suggest adopting a less hostile attitude. If you don't want people to talk about something, don't bring it up in the first place. You have every right to your opinions, but that's a two way street. You can't voice an opinion and then yell at others for expressing theirs.

But now let's get the thread back ON TOPIC.  Thanks.

Speaking of which...

Regarding ADTOE:  Hey, to each his own.  But most fans, at least on this forum, tend to like the album.  Myself being a longtime fan (since I&W), I rank it as their 3rd best, closely behind Six Degrees and Scenes. 

Regarding the 5.1, this about sums it up for me:
As for the mix, I have no interest in 5.1 for music in general, so I haven't heard it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2013, 11:08:27 AM »
I have no 5.1 system, so the medium is pretty much useless to me. It's great that people enjoy it, though.

Offline Brian Dobbs

Re: "Dream Theater" - The 5.1 DVD-AUDIO MIX
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2013, 01:16:53 PM »
And as far as the thread goes... cool story bro.... I do think the 5.1 mix sounds cool... but I also loved the SC 5.1 DVD as well... I am not much of a good judge when it comes to that stuff. Welcome to the forum :D
Thanks.  I'm curious if there was a discussion among JP, MP and the engineer concerning the SC 5.1 mix.  The mix sounds like it was produced as a proof of concept.  Almost as an afterthought.  Portnoy's cymbals are virtually non existent and everything sounds isolated from everything else.

The fuck? That OP was fine as far as I'm concerned and this reply of yours just comes completely out of nowhere. He's not making a good impression on YOU apparently, but that doesn't me this is the case for everyone. I'm pretty intrigued by the OP (yes, that includes the bashing of ADTOE). The world isn't flowers and butterflies and some people like different stuff. How they express that is another case, but I had no problems with the OP whatsoever. Sorry for taking this directly at you, but I felt like I had to.

And here's to not making this another 'bullshit post'; on topic, I've not heard the 5.1 mix, but as I said, I'm intrigued to how it sounds.
Thank you sir.

I don't think you read the whole thread. There is nothing wrong with the OP.
And you too sir.

I must agree. DT12 on 5.1 is a cool experience. And it's a better album than ADTOE, or anything since TOT for that matter.
The 360 panning effects are amazing.  Especially on Mangini's drums.

Would like to hear your music in 5.1 Brian
Thanks man.  Check my signature.  :-)  BTW, by no means is my 5.1 mix up to par with what I would expect from the professionals.  I did it on my computer without mixing software!  But track #4 is the best IMO.

I don't know why everyone's jumping down the OP's throat over ADTOE. Looks fine to me.

As for the mix, I have no interest in 5.1 for music in general, so I haven't heard it. But the HDTracks version is truly the way the album was meant to be heard. Not because of the gimmicky "HD" aspect, which is of arguable benefit at best, but the master is the most dynamic one available, and really shows off DT12 at its best. :tup
Thank you sir.  You should experience 5.1!

Liner notes say Chycki did the 5.1 mix.  How would you compare this mix to Systematic Chaos?

I have no 5.1 system, so the medium is pretty much useless to me. It's great that people enjoy it, though.
Why useless?  It's not drastically expensive to get into it.  I'd be happy to offer some suggestions if you want.

Okay, let's keep this on topic rather than derailing the thread by posting about how somebody posts rather than about the topic at hand.  You all know the drill.
Thank you sir.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 01:26:44 PM by Brian Dobbs »

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2013, 04:42:52 PM »
@Brian,

It's better than the SC mix, just because it doesn't suffer from the same inconsistency. But compared to like The Raven That Refused to Sing in 5.1, it's not even comparable.

Offline volwrath

« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2013, 05:21:35 PM »

It's better than the SC mix, just because it doesn't suffer from the same inconsistency. But compared to like The Raven That Refused to Sing in 5.1, it's not even comparable.

Yea but SW lives and breathes 5.1.

In any case I enjoyed the 5.1 mix.  IT was especially enjoyable.  I mixed it down to stereo for my mp3s but ended up buying the hdtracks, after the 5.1 mixed down it was equal to the cd version at the dr database site.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2013, 05:31:51 PM »
Yeah, but the problem with listening to the typical Steven Wilson 5.1 mix is that, no matter how great the mix is, you're still stuck with the fact that you're listening to Steven Wilson.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2013, 05:40:23 PM »
Yeah, but the problem with listening to the typical Steven Wilson 5.1 mix is that, no matter how great the mix is, you're still stuck with the fact that you're listening to Steven Wilson.

Your face
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2013, 06:34:35 PM »

Unless it's King Crimson, Yes, Jethro Tull, ELP or Caravan...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2013, 07:01:58 PM »

I will end you now by taking off that mask.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2013, 01:42:24 AM »
Unless it's King Crimson, Yes, Jethro Tull, ELP or Caravan...

-Marc.
...or Anathema or Opeth :D

Offline volwrath

« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2013, 08:19:38 AM »

:rollin Bwahaha I agree :rollin

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2013, 08:32:01 AM »

:rollin Bwahaha I agree :rollin

Whew, I thought I was the only one. I'm quite relieved now.  :biggrin:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Brian Dobbs

« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2013, 12:01:38 PM »
@Brian,

I'll have to check that out sometime.  I have a few Porcupine Tree DVD-Audio discs, but nothing from Steve Wilson solo.  I have heard anything close to DT's style of progressive rock in 5.1, especially this well mixed.  (Contemporary, heavy, high level of musicianship, etc.)

Anything else you would recommend?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2013, 12:27:33 PM »
@Brian,

I'll have to check that out sometime.  I have a few Porcupine Tree DVD-Audio discs, but nothing from Steve Wilson solo.  I have heard anything close to DT's style of progressive rock in 5.1, especially this well mixed.  (Contemporary, heavy, high level of musicianship, etc.)

ALL of Opeth's 5.1 mixes!

Unless that's too heavy?

Offline Brian Dobbs

« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2013, 07:31:32 AM »
@Brian,

ALL of Opeth's 5.1 mixes!

Unless that's too heavy?
Thanks.  I'll add that to my list.

Specifically, how would you say SW and Opeth's mixes are better than "Dream Theater"?

All of the instrumentation is clear.  The surround channels are not used in a gimmicky fashion, but really do spread the music out over 5 speakers quite evenly.

JLB's voice is used quite nicely in the center and surround channels as opposed to SC 5.1 where he was only really in the center.

Offline Brian Dobbs

« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2013, 06:43:37 AM »
Moderator hefdaddy42 thinks this thread should be ignored or locked.

I really feel like I've been misunderstood thus far.  I really, really could leave this place no strings attached.

If no one else feels the need to discuss / promote Dream Theater mixes in 5.1 then fine.  I'll pack up and leave.  I really do not have the patience to come back and get attacked or marginalized, especially by the administration.

But if there are a few of you out there who do care about the future of the 5.1 format, and how Dream Theater's participation plays into it, then please speak up.

My goal was to raise awareness about how GREAT this new DT album is, especially considering the 5.1 mix.

They didn't have to give it to us.  It's clear that not many fans were demanding DT in 5.1, so I think we should all consider ourselves lucky.

The DVD-Audio format has practically been abandoned, and I'm surprised (yet happy) to see that others hear have experienced this great album the best way possible.

Dream Theater, please give us more albums in 5.1.  And like I said before, go back and remix your older albums for 5.1!  Starting with Falling Into Infinity.

Thank you all for your attention.  Have a nice day.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2013, 08:00:26 AM »
Maybe I shouldn't stick my nose into this, but there's something I really wanted to say. Brian, your passion for this subject is terrific. The way you are expressing that passion is perhaps a bit too forthright. I'm sure there are many people here that would enjoy talking about these mixes (myself included) but you don't have to take things so seriously around here. Sit back and relax. I mean that in a good way.

On the topic, I own the Special Edition of SC and I found the 5.1 mix to be underwhelming and thin. I had to boost my speakers to bring it to a satisfying level. I'm pretty confident that when I get Luna Park/DT12 (hopefully for Christmas) it will be much better.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2013, 08:11:46 AM »
None of us understand hy you're so serious  :justjen
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin