Author Topic: "Dream Theater" - The 5.1 DVD-AUDIO MIX  (Read 16737 times)

Offline Brian Dobbs

"Dream Theater" - The 5.1 DVD-AUDIO MIX
« on: October 27, 2013, 09:10:51 AM »
The MIX

For the second time in Dream Theater’s career, they’ve released an album in 5.1 surround sound.

The first time was Systematic Chaos in Dolby Digital 5.1. My guess is that Portnoy had something to do with this. While I applaud them for the effort, the surround mix was terrible. It was more like surround ‘separation.’ Cymbals? What cymbals?

I have a bunch of albums in surround sound. I consider myself a home theater and surround music enthusiast. I was FLOORED to hear that this album was getting a 5.1 mix.

So many questions!

1) Who pushed for the 5.1 surround mix? The band? Chycki? Roadrunner?

2) Why aren’t they making a bigger deal about this?

3) Why the HELL is Roadrunner out-of-stock of the deluxe edition? Were they ever in stock?

4) Is this a lossy Dolby Digital release? Or true DVD-Audio PCM uncompressed? (surprisingly the latter!)

5) For the LOVE OF GOD, can they go back and re-mix their back catalog in 5.1? Start with Falling Into Infinity!

I’ve listened to the album ONCE in 5.1 Surround Sound. WOW! This is how it should be done.

FORGET about STEREO. That should be the bonus disc!

HD TRACKS is okay, but in my opinion, there is a much bigger distinction between 5.1 and stereo VS. HD stereo and stereo. If you’re not listening to this in 5.1 YOU ARE MISSING OUT!

In fact, I don’t think I will EVER listen to “Dream Theater” in stereo.

(moving the strikethrough comments to this thread)
The MUSIC

I’m not going to break this down track by track. Let’s look at the 30,000 foot view.
There’s a saying called, “Never Happened.”

Batman & Robin. Robocop 3. Speed 2. THEY NEVER HAPPENED.

Get it?

Dream Theater’s A Dramatic Turn Of Events NEVER HAPPENED.

I listened to ADTOE twice. The second time was just to make sure I actually heard what I heard the first time.

I finally ‘heard’ what non-fans hear when they listen to Dream Theater. NOISE. MEEDLIES. DERIVATIVE.

Much in the same way Neal Morse unfortunately just re-writes his own music to churn out album after album, ADTOE was the final nail in the coffin for Dream Theater.

They had already started doing that a few albums prior, to an increasing degree. And I’m not even talking about the songs included in Portnoy’s AA Saga.

On top of that, Mangini never got his shot to show us what he could do. I’ve been a fan of his since he toured with Vai back in the 90s. Obviously he was the perfect replacement for Portnoy. Unfortunately, he was just a drum machine on this album. A Portnoy clone.

“Dream Theater” FIXES ALL OF THAT!

Some honest-to-god new territory for the band that has seemingly done it all!

Melodies you can hum to. Unfamiliar, yet heavenly guitar and keyboard tones. And of course, Mangini gets his shot. And boy does he RIP IT UP! Christ!

At times this sounds like a movie soundtrack, although the Six Degrees overture will always be in the top spot for that.

BEFORE YOU FLAME this 'first-time' poster, please consider…

1) I’ve listened to Dream Theater since I heard “You Not Me” on FM Radio back in 1997.

2) I have all of their albums and DVDs.

3) I’ve been to plenty of shows and meetups, etc. I even dragged my wife to a show and made her sit through In The Presence Of Enemies in its entirety even though she wanted to leave.

4) I was part of the DT Forum community back when guys like “Innocuous Fox” was around, and Mark Bredius was posting as “DT Itchy” on the SFAM-styled website and forum.

5) I’m also a recording musician, who has recorded with a progressive rock band and released my own 5.1 surround sound solo-album. (I'll post links if someone asks.)

I’m a fan, okay? Just like YOU. No better, no worse.

Thanks for your time. Look forward to any feedback regarding other people’s enthusiasm towards the 5.1 mix.

In case you aren't aware, Amazon has it for sale.

Highly recommended!

Brian
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 07:49:36 AM by Brian Dobbs »

Offline j

Re: "Dream Theater" - The MIX, MUSIC and REDEMPTION
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 09:51:28 AM »
1) I’ve listened to Dream Theater since I heard “You Not Me” on FM Radio back in 1997.

Wow, I don't think I've ever heard someone say that this was their first experience that got them interested in Dream Theater.

-J

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 09:54:13 AM »

Wow, I don't think I've ever heard someone say that this was their first experience that got them interested in Dream Theater.

-J
I thought it happens every single day.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 10:19:19 AM »

-J
I thought it happens every single day.
watching you run is making me layzay
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 10:21:35 AM »
Sorry, I like ADToE more than DT12.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 10:25:15 AM »
I lost interest once you started criticising ADTOE. It is a masterpiece, and an essential part of their catalogue.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 10:44:45 AM »

-J

That's exactly what I thought. Can't believe a fan was made from that song.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2013, 10:46:03 AM »

-J

That's exactly what I thought. Can't believe a fan was made from that song.

Once in a while miracles happen  :lol
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Brian Dobbs

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013, 11:25:21 AM »
I was hoping this thread could get some intelligent discussion regarding the DVD-Audio mix of this great new album.

Would anyone care to focus on that instead of making fun of "You Not Me"?  Or turning this into a ADTOE discussion?

Please don't clutter up this thread with unnecessary bullsh** posts.  I have no interest in wasting my time in fighting with any of you.  Been there.  Done that.  Too old for that now.

Thanks for your time. Look forward to any feedback regarding other people’s enthusiasm towards the 5.1 mix.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 12:52:31 PM by Brian Dobbs »

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2013, 11:36:40 AM »
lol YNM.... I think I'm gonna listen to it now.

And as far as the thread goes... cool story bro.... I do think the 5.1 mix sounds cool... but I also loved the SC 5.1 DVD as well... I am not much of a good judge when it comes to that stuff. Welcome to the forum :D
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline TL

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2013, 11:40:13 AM »
Brian, some friendly advice;

You're not exactly making a good first impression. If you didn't want people to talk about ADToE, criticizing it in the OP probably wasn't a good idea. You're definitely allowed to not like it and to criticize it, but mentioning it is definitely going to lead to reactions from people who like it.

Insulting people and being so critical of the way people conduct themselves here just because they're not doing things the way you want them to, especially when you're new here, is incredibly off putting. It's not going to lead to anything productive.

You obviously have some strong opinions and a lot of enthusiasm for Dream Theater's music, and could certainly be a welcome member of this community. To that end, I would definitely suggest adopting a less hostile attitude. If you don't want people to talk about something, don't bring it up in the first place. You have every right to your opinions, but that's a two way street. You can't voice an opinion and then yell at others for expressing theirs.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2013, 11:41:43 AM »
I have no interest in wasting my time in fighting with any of you. 

I didn't feel like anyone here was trying to get into a fight with you  ::)

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2013, 11:51:30 AM »
 :corn

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2013, 12:18:01 PM »
I have no interest in wasting my time in fighting with any of you. 

I didn't feel like anyone here was trying to get into a fight with you  ::)

Just because I find it interesting you became a fan from YNM doesn't mean I was fighting. I'm glad you became a fan just found the circumstances odd since YNM is regarded as one of DTs least liked songs.

Offline FracturedMirror

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2013, 12:22:04 PM »
I can't say anything about the 5.1 mixes.  Never heard them, and don't have a 5.1 system.

But, I have to say it's good to see another person that became a fan during the Falling Into Infinity era! :metal

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2013, 12:27:15 PM »

You're not exactly making a good first impression. If you didn't want people to talk about ADToE, criticizing it in the OP probably wasn't a good idea. You're definitely allowed to not like it and to criticize it, but mentioning it is definitely going to lead to reactions from people who like it.

Insulting people and being so critical of the way people conduct themselves here just because they're not doing things the way you want them to, especially when you're new here, is incredibly off putting. It's not going to lead to anything productive.

You obviously have some strong opinions and a lot of enthusiasm for Dream Theater's music, and could certainly be a welcome member of this community. To that end, I would definitely suggest adopting a less hostile attitude. If you don't want people to talk about something, don't bring it up in the first place. You have every right to your opinions, but that's a two way street. You can't voice an opinion and then yell at others for expressing theirs.

The fuck? That OP was fine as far as I'm concerned and this reply of yours just comes completely out of nowhere. He's not making a good impression on YOU apparently, but that doesn't me this is the case for everyone. I'm pretty intrigued by the OP (yes, that includes the bashing of ADTOE). The world isn't flowers and butterflies and some people like different stuff. How they express that is another case, but I had no problems with the OP whatsoever. Sorry for taking this directly at you, but I felt like I had to.

And here's to not making this another 'bullshit post'; on topic, I've not heard the 5.1 mix, but as I said, I'm intrigued to how it sounds.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2013, 12:44:30 PM »
I don't think you read the whole thread. There is nothing wrong with the OP.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2013, 12:53:09 PM »
The original post bashed an album and made reference to a song not endeared by the majority of DT fans (or so it would seem).

This was all well and good until the OP returned to discourage comments regarding to the above. That's where the problem is. If he puts it out there, people absolutely have the right to reply. So if he wanted to talk about the 5.1 mix exclusively, he should have posted about that exclusively.

Offline TL

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2013, 01:05:39 PM »

The fuck? That OP was fine as far as I'm concerned and this reply of yours just comes completely out of nowhere. He's not making a good impression on YOU apparently, but that doesn't me this is the case for everyone. I'm pretty intrigued by the OP (yes, that includes the bashing of ADTOE). The world isn't flowers and butterflies and some people like different stuff. How they express that is another case, but I had no problems with the OP whatsoever. Sorry for taking this directly at you, but I felt like I had to.

And here's to not making this another 'bullshit post'; on topic, I've not heard the 5.1 mix, but as I said, I'm intrigued to how it sounds.

My post was almost entirely responding to his second post, where he criticized replies to that point as not being 'intelligent discussion' and being 'bullshit posts'. I was just saying that if he didn't want people talking about something (ADToE), bringing it up in the OP probably wasn't the way to go. My problem wasn't him criticizing ADToE, it was him getting pissy when people had the audacity to respond to something he said.

Saying ADToE is objectively terrible and an album we should all pretend didn't happen is going to garner a reaction from people. You can't say something like that and then be irritated that people responded to it.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2013, 01:22:53 PM »
TL is obviously completely in the right here and the OP is hilarious. Please, go on.  :corn

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2013, 01:56:22 PM »
Saying ADToE is objectively terrible and an album we should all pretend didn't happen is going to garner a reaction from people. You can't say something like that and then be irritated that people responded to it.

Yeah, basically that's it.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2013, 02:27:14 PM »
Well this thread has taken a dramatic turn of events.

Nugget.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2013, 02:33:18 PM »
yuh adtoe was the most derivative album ever and dt12 is so bursting with creative energy brah

wait, no, that's backwards.
admittedly the worst of adtoe is worse than the worse of dt12 though, so.

Offline 1neeto

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2013, 02:48:33 PM »
I must agree. DT12 on 5.1 is a cool experience. And it's a better album than ADTOE, or anything since TOT for that matter.

Offline Rhayader

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2013, 04:44:42 PM »
I agree with most of what you said, except the part that ADToE sucks.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2013, 05:11:08 PM »
I agree with most of what you said, except the part that ADToE sucks.

And the part where DT12 is good?
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2013, 05:31:13 PM »
Please don't clutter up this thread with unnecessary bullsh** posts.
REDEMPTION for the manatee.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2013, 05:36:38 PM »
Would like to hear your music in 5.1 Brian

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2013, 05:51:46 PM »
I think that the guitar solo in Behind the Veil sounds just like a solo you'd hear in a Redemption song.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2013, 08:10:53 PM »
I don't know why everyone's jumping down the OP's throat over ADTOE. Looks fine to me.

As for the mix, I have no interest in 5.1 for music in general, so I haven't heard it. But the HDTracks version is truly the way the album was meant to be heard. Not because of the gimmicky "HD" aspect, which is of arguable benefit at best, but the master is the most dynamic one available, and really shows off DT12 at its best. :tup

And YNM got you into DT? That's cool by me. DT nabbed themselves a new fan with different bait than usual. Goes to show the diversity of DT's fans! Welcome to the forum. We're usually much nicer people. :biggrin:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2013, 08:21:41 PM »
Always a good idea to bring up a topic in the opening post and get mad when people start discussing said topic.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2013, 08:32:22 PM »
I don't see why this needed its own thread, anyway. This post could have fit perfectly in any of the existing DT12 discussion threads.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2013, 08:45:52 PM »
Let's see.

Guy makes a post that is basically CONTROVERSIAL OPINIONS ROAR BUT DON'T YOU DARE FLAME ME BECAUSE THAT'S WRONG.

Follows it up by taking people to task for not discussing his thread the way he thinks it should be discussed.

Why, no, I can't see WHY anyone might think the OP is full of himself.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2013, 08:55:25 PM »
Yeah I was hoping this thread could get some intelligent discussion regarding the DVD-Audio mix of this great new album. Instead you're all just being dumb. :neverusethis: